Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• SingingSingleTracker
    SingingSingleTracker Posts: 1,866 Member
    Options
    Oh, and beets that have been roasted, then chilled and marinated in balsamic vinegar, and then drizzled in olive oil are delicious. (Plain old roasted beets are awesome too.)

...and any so-called friends of mine who say otherwise should not be trusted.

I'm in for that.

Not to mention some goat cheese, beets, and olive oil on top of a nice bed of arugula. Not sure if the wine I drink with that is clean or junk, but c'est la vie...

Thanks for making me more hungry than I already was this cold and rainy Wednesday. ;-]
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    My takeaway from these types of threads is that food has feelings, and calling a food bad is not only hurtful to the food, but to the people who (for some reason) care about the reputation and mental well-being of food.

Food shamer!
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    My takeaway from these types of threads is that food has feelings, and calling a food bad is not only hurtful to the food, but to the people who (for some reason) care about the reputation and mental well-being of food.

So you don't see that by labeling a food that a person is consuming as "dirty" that you are also implying that the person consuming the food is "dirty?"
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    The difference is that clean eaters sprinkle pride or shame on their food, depending on the source or number of ingredients...

THAT"s what my steak's been missing... damn

that little dash of guilt!!!! thank you so much!!! can't wait to try it now with the amended seasonings!

No need to ruin a perfectly good steak with guilt :noway:
    truth- I shouldn't- I do love my steak. never feel guilty eating it at all.
    perhaps I should sprinkle my guilt on something else then??

Mio- I have been secretly adding anti freez... I mean mio to my water recently....

I'll mix in some guilt as well!!!

<lightbulb>
    I'm adding a food known as "guilt" to my diet- so I can add it when I feel I did bad and go back and look and see what I really did.

so doing this.
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options

Yeah, it cracks me up every time I read about food shaming. For some reason, I always picture a crying burrito with the caption "I'm not fat, I'm just big-boned".
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Ok, recap for the late comers. MFP seems to be fractured into a couple of main groups - the healthy eaters and the eat whatever you want eaters. Within those two groups there are a variety of sub-groups. For the most part, there are preachers on both sides who like to bash. They resort to name calling, food shaming, sarcasm and generally aren't very nice simply because the clean eaters choose to lose weight and/or get fit in a manner which they deem as being extreme. Secretly, they hold the clean eaters in high regard so their inner conflict leads to outwardly belittling the clean eaters. The trigger for the eat whatever you want group is "clean". If that word is used in any way, shape or form, OR implied, OR used as flame bait, the eat whatever you want group is in for the kill. Some of the clean eaters are a tad fed up with the bashing EVEN though we personally have never preached clean eating, told others that was the way they had to eat or it was the only way to eat. That's what this thread is all about. Oh, and so far nothing much in the way of gifs but I'm sure they are just around the corner. Cheers!

This is actually a quite brilliant account of exactly what the issue is...

Misrepresenting someone else's position leads to unnecessary arguments.

(Full disclosure: not a "clean" eater or a "IIFYM" eater.)

And yet, in the second line of the "explaining" post, there's the false dichotomy of being "healthy" and of "eating what you want." Is it impossible to eat whatever you like and still be healthy? Not if you maintain a healthy body weight and fat content and get enough exercise and micronutrients to maintain your health . . . Food is food. There's no moral superiority for eating any form of it, no matter what that form might take.

What I find interesting is that in the first thread I had a "clean" eater roundly berate me, call me deluded, and insist I was eating "crap." Interestingly enough, some of our meals were all-but identical, although I have not added protein powder to my meals and never will do so on a regular basis (note: I've posted asking about protein powders as supplements to smoothies for hot weather meals). So, really, I wonder how differently IIFYM and so-called clean eaters eat overall?

The difference is that clean eaters sprinkle pride or shame on their food, depending on the source or number of ingredients...

This comment displays a complete lack of understanding on the clean eating issue. I would guess that most clean eaters don't do this even those judging would like to think so.

I was a "clean eater" and I did this.

My friends who have tackled "clean eating" whether through a month-challenge or 3-month-challenge or an overall lifestyle change also did or do this. It's either "look at me eating this healthy stuff" or "look at how terrible I feel after sneaking this piece of junk non-food" or "look at how terrible I feel after binge-eating this thing I avoided for the last three months."

My comment comes 100% from direct observation.
  • Bry_Fitness70
    Bry_Fitness70 Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

So you don't see that by labeling a food that a person is consuming as "dirty" that you are also implying that the person consuming the food is "dirty?"

If you personalize the criticism of food, that is your own unfortunate choice. I eat 70-80% clean - the 20-30% that I eat "dirty" doesn't seem to depress me or affect my self-esteem, I fail to see what that has to do with my self-image. Let's all stop being offended at every single possible opportunity, it serves no purpose.

*Edited for grammar issue - please don't criticize my need to edit this message, grammar shaming is cruel
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

I hope you also got

"I wouldn't feed subway to my dog" and "if you eat subway, enjoy your cancer."

wouldn't the raw vegetables that are everywhere at subway protect a person from the cancer that might be caused by the rest of their selection? Or if everything on the menu causes cancer that one has to conclude that raw vegetables cause cancer which adds all the raw veggies subway offers to the list of foods that need further restriction.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

that little dash of guilt!!!! thank you so much!!! can't wait to try it now with the amended seasonings!

I found that my steaks are just a little bit more delicious when I started seasoning them with the knowledge that the beeves were raised grass-fed/finished on my family's farm. Same for farm fresh eggs.

Mmmm, pride...delicious pride.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Doesn't all this really come down to the fact that everybody eats how they want to eat? Why are we choosing sides like the Protestants and Catholics? We all want the same thing in the end. All this bickering makes my a** twitch.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I found that my steaks are just a little bit more delicious when I started seasoning them with the knowledge that the beeves were raised grass-fed/finished on my family's farm. Same for farm fresh eggs.

I'm sure that would do well for my self esteem... I'll see if I can locate that- I am not sure Wal-Mart carries it!
    isn't there an intrinsic choking hazard with it though?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Doesn't all this really come down to the fact that everybody eats how they want to eat? Why are we choosing sides like the Protestants and Catholics? We all want the same thing in the end. All this bickering makes my a** twitch.

Because religion is faith based and nutrition can be rationally broken down into facts and supported theory.

Also, we don't all want the same thing in the end.
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

If you personalize the criticism of food, that is your own unfortunate choice. I eat 70-80% clean - the 20-30% that I eat "dirty" doesn't seem to depress me or affect my self-esteem, I fail to see what that has to do with my self-image. Let's all stop being offended at every single possible opportunity, it serves no purpose.

*Edited for grammar issue - please don't criticize my need to edit this message, grammar shaming is cruel

So, all eating disorders are just taking things personally? All people think they way you do and no one has a different locus of control?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

It's because no one spanks their food anymore. More spankings leads to better nutrition, I always like to say.
  • JoRocka
    Options

Because religion is faith based and nutrition can be rationally broken down into facts and supported theory.

Also, we don't all want the same thing in the end.

clean eating is like Christianity and cross fit is the zumba of the fitness world.

it works for some people
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

I'm sure that would do well for my self esteem... I'll see if I can locate that- I am not sure Wal-Mart carries it!
    isn't there an intrinsic choking hazard with it though?

Surprisingly, Costco (or was it Sam's?) carries what they say is grass-fed/finished beef. It isn't quite as good because you won't know the beef's name like I did, but it's a step in the right food-pride direction. Careful...this slippery slope can lead to extreme food smugness that will make you nearly intolerable in the MFP forums.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

So, all eating disorders are just taking things personally? All people think they way you do and no one has a different locus of control?

Eating disorders are typically caused by some psychological issue. Low self-esteem is one reason. Depression is another. It's also possible that it's simply part of a compulsive behavioral disorder. At any rate, I fail to see the connection between an eating disorder and the facetious comment about food having its own feelings.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    IN

Because two train wrecks are better than one

trainwreck-o.gif

bttf-train-crash-o.gif

I see your two train wrecks and raise you one unicorn with rainbows...
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I was a "clean eater" and I did this.

My friends who have tackled "clean eating" whether through a month-challenge or 3-month-challenge or an overall lifestyle change also did or do this. It's either "look at me eating this healthy stuff" or "look at how terrible I feel after sneaking this piece of junk non-food" or "look at how terrible I feel after binge-eating this thing I avoided for the last three months."

My comment comes 100% from direct observation.

While there are a lot of binge threads...there being several reasons for those threads but won't get into that here...

What I'm wanting to say is I don't ever feel terrible after I eat what you like to call junk non-food. Which personally I find junk non-food to be an oxymoron - because it IS food, not non-food. If it can be eaten, it's food.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    I personally haven't found that to be the case. While I haven't been preaching healthy and clean eating or telling folks that is how they should eat, I have openly admitted to being a clean eater. Perhaps only the vocal extremists on both sides are getting IMs.

The OP of this original thread actually bashed eating potato salad in another thread.