Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to eat healthier because it makes me feel better and it makes it a lot easier to stay under my calorie limit. I imagine one day when I'm at maintenance and have more calories to play with, I'll probably eat some pizza and burritos once again. I will not go through a bunch of mental gymnastics and lie to myself that those things are healthy or good for me though.

I was on board for your entire post...

...until you got to your last sentence.

I don't do any mental gymnastics or lie to myself about the benefits I get from a burrito either...and I eat a burrito bowl for lunch 3-4 days each week. Not only do I not think this is unhealthy, but also think it is truly healthy. There is simply nothing in this food in a sufficient quantity to cause me any health issues whatsoever. I'm not saying that you *have to* eat these things, but I struggle to understand how you could reach a conclusion that these are unhealthy as just one component of a complete, wlel-rounded calorie-controlled diet. Truly, it boggles my mind and defies my understanding of nutrition.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Ok, recap for the late comers. MFP seems to be fractured into a couple of main groups - the healthy eaters and the eat whatever you want eaters. Within those two groups there are a variety of sub-groups. For the most part, there are preachers on both sides who like to bash. They resort to name calling, food shaming, sarcasm and generally aren't very nice simply because the clean eaters choose to lose weight and/or get fit in a manner which they deem as being extreme. Secretly, they hold the clean eaters in high regard so their inner conflict leads to outwardly belittling the clean eaters. The trigger for the eat whatever you want group is "clean". If that word is used in any way, shape or form, OR implied, OR used as flame bait, the eat whatever you want group is in for the kill. Some of the clean eaters are a tad fed up with the bashing EVEN though we personally have never preached clean eating, told others that was the way they had to eat or it was the only way to eat. That's what this thread is all about. Oh, and so far nothing much in the way of gifs but I'm sure they are just around the corner. Cheers!
    Of course they don't. They just say that people who DON'T eat clean will die of cancer or some other mystery illness, or they will preach about their "health" superiority when they either have no avi, an unimpressive avi, less than stellar ticker, or closed diary.

What is avi??????
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    What is avi??????
    <<<<<<<picture to the left

A snarky message board is just that - this isn't a group therapy session guided by professional therapists, it is a gathering of anonymous users with varying degrees of knowledge, maturity, and common sense. If this environment fuels a mental disorder, that is an issue of the person affected, we can't all be expected to censor our opinions in order to protect other anonymous users, we might as well just heavily censor it or pull the plug on the entire medium.

heavy censoring doesn't help anyone... stop censoring it so much and let people just speak their minds- no reason to pull the whole plug. let it moderate itself.

My sportbike forums is one of the most loosely moderate boards I know- and we weed out the BS quickly- people are free to speak their minds as long as it is not a straight up violent verbal personal attack- and not MFP pathetic excuse of "I dont' like your opinion so I'm reporting you" personal attack.

They run quiet well.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    What is avi??????
    <<<<<<<picture to the left
    Oh! I thought i was missing some new diet or fad term or something. LOL

I like my avi :) I'm pretty impressed by it. Although that was quite a few pounds ago. It needs updating. :)
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    I'm just trying to eat healthier because it makes me feel better and it makes it a lot easier to stay under my calorie limit. I imagine one day when I'm at maintenance and have more calories to play with, I'll probably eat some pizza and burritos once again. I will not go through a bunch of mental gymnastics and lie to myself that those things are healthy or good for me though.

I don't do any mental gymnastics or lie to myself about the benefits I get from a burrito either...and I eat a burrito bowl for lunch 3-4 days each week. Not only do I not think this is unhealthy, but also think it is truly healthy. There is simply nothing in this food in a sufficient quantity to cause me any health issues whatsoever. I'm not saying that you *have to* eat these things, but I struggle to understand how you could reach a conclusion that these are unhealthy as just one component of a complete, wlel-rounded calorie-controlled diet. Truly, it boggles my mind and defies my understanding of nutrition.

Because these things are full of carbs, fat, and jam-packed with calories. Hey, I'm not judging. They're delicious. I see what your calorie goal is for the day and one day when I'm there I'll be havin a burrito bowl too. In the meantime I can't justify that many calories for a non-satiating meal that's just going to leave me hungry an hour later.

And then the pizza. Dude, it's 2 inch thick bread slathered in cheese and all manner of delicious toppings on top. Who wouldn't love that? I remember when I was a kid and I used to BS my parents about pizza being completely healthy because hey, it has all the major food goups right there! Unfortunately, I have had to grow the **** up since then and accept reality.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

What about pizza or a burrito makes it unhealthy?

Edit: Saw your response above.

So...it's the amount of calories that you see as being unhealthy?
  • VoodooSyxx
    Options

It's the calories to nutrients and satiety ratio that concerns me the most, so for me yes.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

That's what it seems like. Carbs and fat aren't bad for you and judging food "healthy" based on the amount of calories it has (or lack thereof) is a really really unhealthy mindset.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Because these things are full of carbs, fat, and jam-packed with calories. Hey, I'm not judging. They're delicious. I see what your calorie goal is for the day and one day when I'm there I'll be havin a burrito bowl too. In the meantime I can't justify that many calories for a non-satiating meal that's just going to leave me hungry an hour later.

And then the pizza. Dude, it's 2 inch thick bread slathered in cheese and all manner of delicious toppings on top. Who wouldn't love that? I remember when I was a kid and I used to BS my parents about pizza being completely healthy because hey, it has all the major food goups right there! Unfortunately, I have had to grow the **** up since then and accept reality.

Protein, fats, carbs, not to mention a bunch of micronutrients. A pizza can be a nutritionally complete meal. If you enjoy pizza and aren't eating any, I don't know what you're doing with your diet. A pizza can be made to have virtually *any* nutritional make-up or macro ratio. You alter the toppings, the thickness of the crust, the density/sparsity of cheese, or whatever you need to do. But you just eat the pizza and enjoy it.
  • Kitship
    Kitship Posts: 579 Member
    Options

It's the calories to nutrients and satiety ratio that concerns me the most, so for me yes.

So, what keeps you satiated longer for less calories and the same amount of macros/nutrients?

Just curious...because usually a burrito or pizza will keep me full for a while.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options
    deleted
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

What do you eat then? Your diary is closed, so I can't look, but I'm just curious what it is that you eat that fills you up so much more than a burrito bowl or a couple of slices of pizza? Burrito bowls and pizza can be made "healthier" and improve the calorie to nutrient ratio, since that is your definition. Brown rice, black beans, chicken or other lean protein, fajita vegetables, and if you have room in your day - throw some cheese, sour cream, or guacamole on that burrito bowl. That seems like it would be extremely filling - I know when I go to Chipotle or Qdoba those are some of my most filling lunches of the week. Pizza - same thing, doesn't have to be a pan pizza meat lovers extravaganza (although that is what I really enjoy and two slices of that still fit in my day).
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    deleted

Subway is garbage food, huh?
  • random_user75
    random_user75 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    In so very late. I'll have to catch up later.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Ok, recap for the late comers. MFP seems to be fractured into a couple of main groups - the healthy eaters and the eat whatever you want eaters. Within those two groups there are a variety of sub-groups. For the most part, there are preachers on both sides who like to bash. They resort to name calling, food shaming, sarcasm and generally aren't very nice simply because the clean eaters choose to lose weight and/or get fit in a manner which they deem as being extreme. Secretly, they hold the clean eaters in high regard so their inner conflict leads to outwardly belittling the clean eaters. The trigger for the eat whatever you want group is "clean". If that word is used in any way, shape or form, OR implied, OR used as flame bait, the eat whatever you want group is in for the kill. Some of the clean eaters are a tad fed up with the bashing EVEN though we personally have never preached clean eating, told others that was the way they had to eat or it was the only way to eat. That's what this thread is all about. Oh, and so far nothing much in the way of gifs but I'm sure they are just around the corner. Cheers!
    Of course they don't. They just say that people who DON'T eat clean will die of cancer or some other mystery illness, or they will preach about their "health" superiority when they either have no avi, an unimpressive avi, less than stellar ticker, or closed diary.

You funny.

I like whiskey, cigarettes, wine, chocolate and white stuff of all shapes and sizes. My diary is open. I had that stuff today.

I don't haz no canzerz and I is well hot.
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options
    deleted

Subway is garbage food, huh?
    Meat, cheese, vegetables.................omg the HORROR............we might as well become breathatarians
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options
    on a burrito bowl being bad what could be more satiating than lean meats, beans, fresh cut veggies and/or lightly sauteed peppers?

You aren't required to put that other garbage that jof puts on his...
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options

You do realize that people like that need help? When I was in that place, it also led to substance abuse. My husband talked me into seeing a counselor, who helped me figure out how to deal with my issues in a healthy way. People like that need professional help, not a message board. Hopefully a loved one will steer them in the right direction. Strangers in a forum aren't going to help much.

Yes, when I finish my practicum and my internship, I might be treating some of them.

Also for the record, I had a quarter pound hamburger, a cup of mashed potatoes, a large bowl of salad greens, a half cup of cheddar cheese, two tablespoons of dressing, and two sugar-free cookies for lunch. I still have 700 calories left for dinner. I feel full and happy. Now that's good eatin', as we say around here. Healthy? I don't know, but it fits my macros IYKWIM. :)
  • VoodooSyxx
    Options

What do you eat then? Your diary is closed, so I can't look, but I'm just curious what it is that you eat that fills you up so much more than a burrito bowl or a couple of slices of pizza? Burrito bowls and pizza can be made "healthier" and improve the calorie to nutrient ratio, since that is your definition. Brown rice, black beans, chicken or other lean protein, fajita vegetables, and if you have room in your day - throw some cheese, sour cream, or guacamole on that burrito bowl. That seems like it would be extremely filling - I know when I go to Chipotle or Qdoba those are some of my most filling lunches of the week. Pizza - same thing, doesn't have to be a pan pizza meat lovers extravaganza (although that is what I really enjoy and two slices of that still fit in my day).

I changed mine from completely open to open to my friends. But anyway, I eat meat. Lots of meat. And green leafy things and other green things that look like little trees. I'm never, ever actually hungry. I don't believe in being hungry. So far this has worked beautifully for me for 7 weeks. I've been around all the old foods that used to whisper to me and tell me seductive things, and yet I feel nothing for their pull. If that changes, I'll rethink things. For now, I won't fix what is not broken.