Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• cwsreddy
    cwsreddy Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to eat healthier because it makes me feel better and it makes it a lot easier to stay under my calorie limit. I imagine one day when I'm at maintenance and have more calories to play with, I'll probably eat some pizza and burritos once again. I will not go through a bunch of mental gymnastics and lie to myself that those things are healthy or good for me though.

What about pizza or a burrito makes it unhealthy?

Edit: Saw your response above.

So...it's the amount of calories that you see as being unhealthy?

It's the calories to nutrients and satiety ratio that concerns me the most, so for me yes.

Keep fighting the good fight brother. I love these people pulling a "pizza is a vegetable" nonsense. thoroughly enjoyable, but entirely sad at the same time.

Who are "these people" and where are they pulling this nonsense?

I know it's tough for you guys, but sometimes people use metaphors.

The gov't classifies pizza as a "vegetable" because of the tomato sauce, and Wendy called pizza a "nutritionally complete meal" - which is equally laughable.

That was the allusion being made. Relax.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic, but jmv7117's avi makes me want to slap on my HRM and have a good b*tch session just to test a theory.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    Completely off topic, but jmv7117's avi makes me want to slap on my HRM and have a good b*tch session just to test a theory.

I guarantee being animatedly pissed off will burn more calories than lying on the couch. :laugh:

Half an hour of face palming will burn 200 calories. But will also cost a lot of brain cells (but then doesn't arguing on MFP do that anyway)?

Calorie burn for typing on computer - 32 calories per hour
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to eat healthier because it makes me feel better and it makes it a lot easier to stay under my calorie limit. I imagine one day when I'm at maintenance and have more calories to play with, I'll probably eat some pizza and burritos once again. I will not go through a bunch of mental gymnastics and lie to myself that those things are healthy or good for me though.

It's the calories to nutrients and satiety ratio that concerns me the most, so for me yes.

Keep fighting the good fight brother. I love these people pulling a "pizza is a vegetable" nonsense. thoroughly enjoyable, but entirely sad at the same time.

The gov't classifies pizza as a "vegetable" because of the tomato sauce, and Wendy called pizza a "nutritionally complete meal" - which is equally laughable.

Meat, dairy, grains, veggies....What is more complete than that? :laugh:
  • cwsreddy
    Options

I guarantee being animatedly pissed off will burn more calories than lying on the couch. :laugh:

Half an hour of face palming will burn 200 calories. But will also cost a lot of brain cells (but then doesn't arguing on MFP do that anyway)?

Calorie burn for typing on computer - 32 calories per hour

On MFP it's 94 cal/hour for the sheer agony of it all.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Maybe stress eating is really eating back your complaining calories.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm still honestly 3 pages back where pizza and burrito bowls are not filling?

WHO SAYS that!!!

they are incredibly filling... I don't get it.

This guy who can easily put down a large pizza and laugh at it's pathetic attempt at filling the black hole that is my stomach, says that.

So your method of eating less is simply to eat food that doesn't taste that good? Is that what you're saying?
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Metaphors? This may be tough for you, but I do not think it means what you think it means.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

WHO SAYS that!!!

This guy who can easily put down a large pizza and laugh at it's pathetic attempt at filling the black hole that is my stomach, says that.

I cannot even fathom how much "meat and green leafy things" you must be eating in order to fill you up more than a large pizza.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

WHO SAYS that!!!

So your method of eating less is simply to eat food that doesn't taste that good? Is that what you're saying?

Err, NO! I wouldn't eat anything that didn't taste good. My "method" if I had to say I have one is I learned real quick how to be a badazz in the kitchen. My food is delicious.
  • cwsreddy
    Options

Metaphors? This may be tough for you, but I do not think it means what you think it means.

"A metaphor is a figure of speech that describes a subject by asserting that it is, on some point of comparison, the same as another otherwise unrelated object. Metaphor is a type of analogy and is closely related to other rhetorical figures of speech that achieve their effects via association, comparison or resemblance including allegory, hyperbole, and simile."

we can move on if you don't want to get weighed down in this tangent though.
  • HerbertNenenger
    HerbertNenenger Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    Doesn't all this really come down to the fact that everybody eats how they want to eat? Why are we choosing sides like the Protestants and Catholics? We all want the same thing in the end. All this bickering makes my a** twitch.

Because religion is faith based and nutrition can be rationally broken down into facts and supported theory.

Also, we don't all want the same thing in the end.
    completely. and intentionally. missed. my. entire. point. and you know what I meant. We don't all want to be healthier in the end? really.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

WHO SAYS that!!!

I cannot even fathom how much "meat and green leafy things" you must be eating in order to fill you up more than a large pizza.

Well dinner time is usually when I get all ravenous so typically 8-11oz. of chicken, turkey, or lean steak and somewhere between 3-5 cups of the green stuff.
  • cwsreddy
    Options
    Doesn't all this really come down to the fact that everybody eats how they want to eat? Why are we choosing sides like the Protestants and Catholics? We all want the same thing in the end. All this bickering makes my a** twitch.

Because religion is faith based and nutrition can be rationally broken down into facts and supported theory.

Also, we don't all want the same thing in the end.
    completely. and intentionally. missed. my. entire. point. and you know what I meant. We don't all want to be healthier in the end? really.

the rub is that we can't agree on what "healthier" means.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

WHO SAYS that!!!

Err, NO! I wouldn't eat anything that didn't taste good. My "method" if I had to say I have one is I learned real quick how to be a badazz in the kitchen. My food is delicious.

Then why can't you figure out how to make a pizza that fits your macro ratio and calorie goal? Add "meat and green stuff" for toppings? Truly confused...
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

WHO SAYS that!!!

Then why can't you figure out how to make a pizza that fits your macro ratio and calorie goal? Add "meat and green stuff" for toppings? Truly confused...

You could pretend your plate is the base (which you end up not eating) and then just add meat a veg as the toppings. Instead of a tomato sauce underneath you could maybe have a meat gravy sauce on top then hey presto pizza! - no wait I know what I've just done - I've just made a Sunday roast!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

WHO SAYS that!!!

You could pretend your plate is the base (which you end up not eating) and then just add meat a veg as the toppings. Instead of a tomato sauce underneath you could maybe have a meat gravy sauce on top then hey presto pizza! - no wait I know what I've just done - I've just made a Sunday roast!

:laugh:

Seriously, I made a delicious. low-calorie pizza back when I was on 1900 calories. It was chicken breast and veggies for the topping, and a thin, but chewy crust. The sauce is low calorie anyway, basically tomato paste and seasoning. The big calories on pizza come from a thick crust with lots of oil in it. I omitted the oil on the crust and just lightly sprayed Pam on each side to help it brown. Then the cheese can be sparse or can be low fat, depending on taste buds. Pizza is the most versatile foods, besides a stew or soup maybe. It can be a high calorie, nutrient-sparse mess, or it can be incredibly nutritious. It just depends on how you make it.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

So here's the ingredients from one of my homemade pizza what is not nutritionally complete about this: Makes 2 pizzas, is delicious

1 teaspoon Active Dry Or Instant Yeast
    4 cups All-purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
    1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 cup of cooked chicken or sausage
    1 whole Large Eggplant (or Two Medium Eggplants)
    Kosher Salt, For Sprinkling
    1 pint Grape Tomatoes
    2 cloves Garlic, Minced
    8 ounces, weight Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, Sliced Very Thin
    1/2 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil For Drizzling
    Freshly Ground Black Pepper
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

WHO SAYS that!!!

:laugh:

Seriously, I made a delicious. low-calorie pizza back when I was on 1900 calories. It was chicken breast and veggies for the topping, and a thin, but chewy crust. The sauce is low calorie anyway, basically tomato paste and seasoning. The big calories on pizza come from a thick crust with lots of oil in it. I omitted the oil on the crust and just lightly sprayed Pam on each side to help it brown. Then the cheese can be sparse or can be low fat, depending on taste buds. Pizza is the most versatile foods, besides a stew or soup maybe. It can be a high calorie, nutrient-sparse mess, or it can be incredibly nutritious. It just depends on how you make it.

Apart from the exclusion of oil, did you change the ingredients for the base?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Everyone is different you know..

if you can eat an entire pizza and it fills you for hours, then that is great for you. Eating a large pizza will *empty* me, rather quickly, if you catch my drift and i'll be hungry soon thereafter. I am capable of eating an entire pizza in one sitting too.

Or I can make my HUGE dinner of "meat and green leafy things" and be full for a long time. More protein in my dinner versus the pizza, less fat, less carbs less calories and less grease in my dinner and full longer. That's so winning it almost needs a new category.

ETA: i'm assuming pizza you buy, not homemade pizza. Which can be very healthy and filling depending on how it's made. I've experienced both sides when eating homemade pizza.