Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• SymphonynSonata
    SymphonynSonata Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Lean Cuisine has some pretty decent pizzas. My grandma buys those $1 pizzas from wherever (which are pretty low in calories, iirc) and she'll load them a few inches up with vegetables and some more cheese, optionally. It's really good stuff, and the vegetable calories are (as always!) pretty low.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to eat healthier because it makes me feel better and it makes it a lot easier to stay under my calorie limit. I imagine one day when I'm at maintenance and have more calories to play with, I'll probably eat some pizza and burritos once again. I will not go through a bunch of mental gymnastics and lie to myself that those things are healthy or good for me though.

What about pizza or a burrito makes it unhealthy?

Edit: Saw your response above.

So...it's the amount of calories that you see as being unhealthy?

It's the calories to nutrients and satiety ratio that concerns me the most, so for me yes.

Keep fighting the good fight brother. I love these people pulling a "pizza is a vegetable" nonsense. thoroughly enjoyable, but entirely sad at the same time.

Who are "these people" and where are they pulling this nonsense?

I know it's tough for you guys, but sometimes people use metaphors.

The gov't classifies pizza as a "vegetable" because of the tomato sauce, and Wendy called pizza a "nutritionally complete meal" - which is equally laughable.

That was the allusion being made. Relax.

I handmade a couple pizzas on Sunday for the SO and myself. They were complete meals and even a tiny workout.

I made the dough from delicious yeast (made my kitchen smell like a bakery), salt and awesome gluten containing flour. I kneaded that for ten minutes, let it rise for a couple hours and then kneaded it again (to activate the wonderful nature of gluten).

Next came the sauce, made from some nice meaty tomatoes, a purple onion, lots of garlic and a bit of oil. I baked those chopped ingredients for 30 minutes in a 450 degree oven and then put the fragrant result in the blender.

I then rolled out and tossed the dough and threw the two crusts on the grill after brushing the bottom with olive oil and sprinkling with kosher salt. Three minutes later, I flipped em and added my sauce, a little moz cheese, my peppers, onions, basil and previously made antelope summer sausage. I added a bit more moz and even a sprinkling of Gruyere cheese and then closed the lid till perfection is achieved. My SO put on his own toppings (pineapple, Canadian bacon and jalapenos).

It was a complete and balanced meal with 20 minutes of dough kneading that works up a nice little burn in the shoulders and forearms by the end of each session. Calorie count for the entire pizza clocked in at 830 calories. I ate it all and felt satisfied in more ways than one.

Why so much pizza hate?

(I wish I could make yeast bread everyday... weekends, yet one more reason I love you the most.)
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Oh, and beets that have been roasted, then chilled and marinated in balsamic vinegar, and then drizzled in olive oil are delicious. (Plain old roasted beets are awesome too.)

...and any so-called friends of mine who say otherwise should not be trusted.

I totally agree with this ^^ and I forgive your for your unkind words about peanut butter.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

I cannot even fathom how much "meat and green leafy things" you must be eating in order to fill you up more than a large pizza.

Everyone is different you know..

if you can eat an entire pizza and it fills you for hours, then that is great for you. Eating a large pizza will *empty* me, rather quickly, if you catch my drift and i'll be hungry soon thereafter. I am capable of eating an entire pizza in one sitting too.

Or I can make my HUGE dinner of "meat and green leafy things" and be full for a long time. More protein in my dinner versus the pizza, less fat, less carbs less calories and less grease in my dinner and full longer. That's so winning it almost needs a new category.

ETA: i'm assuming pizza you buy, not homemade pizza. Which can be very healthy and filling depending on how it's made. I've experienced both sides when eating homemade pizza.

Yep, fully aware that people are different. Some people have been saying for a couple of days that pizza and burrito bowls are unhealthy. When pressed to further define "unhealthy" it was then changed to "because it doesn't fill me up". I'm just honestly confused, and maybe this is because I'm a petite female, how a burrito bowl or an entire pizza (and I wasn't distinguishing between homemade or delivery) can not fill you up. I don't eat an entire pizza, because I am honestly too full after 2-3 slices. I get that people can eat a lot more than I do, I'm just trying to understand, if satiety is what you are looking for - how much volume of meat and vegetables one would have to consume to surpass the full feeling that comes from pizza.

As others have pointed out there are plenty of ways to modify pizza recipes to make them "healthier" by whatever definition you subscribe to. Completely eliminating pizza forever for your diet because you deem it "unhealthy", sounds like a miserable existence.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm just trying to eat healthier because it makes me feel better and it makes it a lot easier to stay under my calorie limit. I imagine one day when I'm at maintenance and have more calories to play with, I'll probably eat some pizza and burritos once again. I will not go through a bunch of mental gymnastics and lie to myself that those things are healthy or good for me though.

It's the calories to nutrients and satiety ratio that concerns me the most, so for me yes.

Keep fighting the good fight brother. I love these people pulling a "pizza is a vegetable" nonsense. thoroughly enjoyable, but entirely sad at the same time.

The gov't classifies pizza as a "vegetable" because of the tomato sauce, and Wendy called pizza a "nutritionally complete meal" - which is equally laughable.

So here's the ingredients from one of my homemade pizza what is not nutritionally complete about this: Makes 2 pizzas, is delicious

1 teaspoon Active Dry Or Instant Yeast
    4 cups All-purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
    1/3 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
    1 cup of cooked chicken or sausage
    1 whole Large Eggplant (or Two Medium Eggplants)
    Kosher Salt, For Sprinkling
    1 pint Grape Tomatoes
    2 cloves Garlic, Minced
    8 ounces, weight Fresh Mozzarella Cheese, Sliced Very Thin
    1/2 cup Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese
    Extra Virgin Olive Oil For Drizzling
    Freshly Ground Black Pepper

I'll trade the eggplant for mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I'm still honestly 3 pages back where pizza and burrito bowls are not filling?

WHO SAYS that!!!

they are incredibly filling... I don't get it.

This guy who can easily put down a large pizza and laugh at it's pathetic attempt at filling the black hole that is my stomach, says that.

So your method of eating less is simply to eat food that doesn't taste that good? Is that what you're saying?

Err, NO! I wouldn't eat anything that didn't taste good. My "method" if I had to say I have one is I learned real quick how to be a badazz in the kitchen. My food is delicious.

Then why can't you figure out how to make a pizza that fits your macro ratio and calorie goal? Add "meat and green stuff" for toppings? Truly confused...

You could pretend your plate is the base (which you end up not eating) and then just add meat a veg as the toppings. Instead of a tomato sauce underneath you could maybe have a meat gravy sauce on top then hey presto pizza! - no wait I know what I've just done - I've just made a Sunday roast!

:laugh:

Seriously, I made a delicious. low-calorie pizza back when I was on 1900 calories. It was chicken breast and veggies for the topping, and a thin, but chewy crust. The sauce is low calorie anyway, basically tomato paste and seasoning. The big calories on pizza come from a thick crust with lots of oil in it. I omitted the oil on the crust and just lightly sprayed Pam on each side to help it brown. Then the cheese can be sparse or can be low fat, depending on taste buds. Pizza is the most versatile foods, besides a stew or soup maybe. It can be a high calorie, nutrient-sparse mess, or it can be incredibly nutritious. It just depends on how you make it.

Apart from the exclusion of oil, did you change the ingredients for the base?

Nope. white, unbleached flour, warm water, and yeast, with 1 tsp sugar for the yeast. I just made less than normal and rolled it out thinner.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    ETA: i'm assuming pizza you buy, not homemade pizza. Which can be very healthy and filling depending on how it's made. I've experienced both sides when eating homemade pizza.

Maybe this was Reddy's assumption too. I have two or three restaurants where I would *dare* to purchase pizza because they make it with fresh ingredients. When I'm talking about pizza, I'm *NOT* referring to any chain places. Those are like McDonalds to me -- way too expensive for way too little flavor.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

I cannot even fathom how much "meat and green leafy things" you must be eating in order to fill you up more than a large pizza.

if you can eat an entire pizza and it fills you for hours, then that is great for you. Eating a large pizza will *empty* me, rather quickly, if you catch my drift and i'll be hungry soon thereafter. I am capable of eating an entire pizza in one sitting too.

Or I can make my HUGE dinner of "meat and green leafy things" and be full for a long time. More protein in my dinner versus the pizza, less fat, less carbs less calories and less grease in my dinner and full longer. That's so winning it almost needs a new category.

Yep, fully aware that people are different. Some people have been saying for a couple of days that pizza and burrito bowls are unhealthy. When pressed to further define "unhealthy" it was then changed to "because it doesn't fill me up". I'm just honestly confused, and maybe this is because I'm a petite female, how a burrito bowl or an entire pizza (and I wasn't distinguishing between homemade or delivery) can not fill you up. I don't eat an entire pizza, because I am honestly too full after 2-3 slices. I get that people can eat a lot more than I do, I'm just trying to understand, if satiety is what you are looking for - how much volume of meat and vegetables one would have to consume to surpass the full feeling that comes from pizza.

As others have pointed out there are plenty of ways to modify pizza recipes to make them "healthier" by whatever definition you subscribe to. Completely eliminating pizza forever for your diet because you deem it "unhealthy", sounds like a miserable existence.

No kidding. That's why I don't plan to do that. You see right now, with my current calorie deficit, a couple pieces of pizza is a meal or actually a bit more. If I ate those two pieces, I would then find myself in a really horrible position of being ridiculously hungry and out of calories. Besides, I don't know if this is the same for everyone but my local PaPaJohns doesn't deliver two pieces of pizza. You know what happens when you put a ravenously hungry fat man in a room with a large pizza? Bad Things happen.

Now one day when utopia has arrived, I will be at maintenance, and I will fully enjoy those two pieces of pizza and then I will fill up on foods that don't just taste good and wave goodbye a few minutes later.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options

So here's the ingredients from one of my homemade pizza what is not nutritionally complete about this: Makes 2 pizzas, is delicious

4 cups All-purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
    1 pint Grape Tomatoes
    2 cloves Garlic, Minced

I change the veggies on it all the time, but that's one of my basic recipes that I tweak depending on what I'm in the mood for.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options
    In...

for Pizzaups...

96582ec23b177d968cae4ecce3ed12c7.gif
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I made the dough from delicious yeast (made my kitchen smell like a bakery), salt and awesome gluten containing flour. I kneaded that for ten minutes, let it rise for a couple hours and then kneaded it again (to activate the wonderful nature of gluten).

Gluten rocks! There's nothing like a handmade dough. *drooling*
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

4 cups All-purpose Flour
    1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
    1 pint Grape Tomatoes
    2 cloves Garlic, Minced

I change the veggies on it all the time, but that's one of my basic recipes that I tweak depending on what I'm in the mood for.

It sounds delicious, not matter the veggie choice!
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

No kidding. That's why I don't plan to do that. You see right now, with my current calorie deficit, a couple pieces of pizza is a meal or actually a bit more. If I ate those two pieces, I would then find myself in a really horrible position of being ridiculously hungry and out of calories. Besides, I don't know if this is the same for everyone but my local PaPaJohns doesn't deliver two pieces of pizza. You know what happens when you put a ravenously hungry fat man in a room with a large pizza? Bad Things happen.

Now one day when utopia has arrived, I will be at maintenance, and I will fully enjoy those two pieces of pizza and then I will fill up on foods that don't just taste good and wave goodbye a few minutes later.

Well I would have to agree that if my only choice is PapaJohns Pizza... I could easily cut it from my diet, and I would just always make my own. Gotta go with real pizza :)
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Well I would have to agree that if my only choice is PapaJohns Pizza... I could easily cut it from my diet, and I would just always make my own. Gotta go with real pizza :)

My inner sarcastabastard really wants to go on a little rant here about PaPaJohns shaming and how that makes you a terrible person for crushing the pizza's feels. I will restrain myself just this once though.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    As an obedient American citizen (ha ha yeah right), I'm just trying to get all my recommended daily vitamins and minerals. Unfortunately, that requires eating much healthier than I ever realized, or think is good for me or my poor wallet!

At very least, in all seriousness, the people pooh-poohing a healthy diet should probably be doing that much for themselves, regardless of what they think of people who go further than that. And it isn't as easy as it seems, even with a good multivitamin.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

I made french bread last night and is currently in it's 1-24 hours refrigeration phase (strengthens the flavor). I'll pop it in the oven tonight and warm bread with dinner. Probably spritz it with olive oil and top it with a thick slice of tomato and some chopped basil. I love my unhealthy white bread!

(looks at the clock and taps foot impatiently)
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options

Gluten rocks my stomach!!! wish it didn't.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options

My inner sarcastabastard really wants to go on a little rant here about PaPaJohns shaming and how that makes you a terrible person for crushing the pizza's feels. I will restrain myself just this once though.

Rant away it's ok but sorry I will take the title of terrible person because Papa Johns pizza is not in the same ballpark as pizza from the little Italian pizza shop :)
  • GiveMeCoffee
    Options
    In...

for Pizzaups...

96582ec23b177d968cae4ecce3ed12c7.gif

Adding a new exercise to my daily routine :)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Papa John's is a poor excuse for pizza. Why not make your own that fits your nutritional needs?