Why do people seem to bash "healthy"eating?

Options

Replies

• WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I made the dough from delicious yeast (made my kitchen smell like a bakery), salt and awesome gluten containing flour. I kneaded that for ten minutes, let it rise for a couple hours and then kneaded it again (to activate the wonderful nature of gluten).

Gluten rocks! There's nothing like a handmade dough. *drooling*

I made french bread last night and is currently in it's 1-24 hours refrigeration phase (strengthens the flavor). I'll pop it in the oven tonight and warm bread with dinner. Probably spritz it with olive oil and top it with a thick slice of tomato and some chopped basil. I love my unhealthy white bread!

(looks at the clock and taps foot impatiently)

That's one I've never tried. I've had success with pizza crust, sweet rolls, and doughnuts, but for some reason, I struggle with loaves. I need more practice.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I made the dough from delicious yeast (made my kitchen smell like a bakery), salt and awesome gluten containing flour. I kneaded that for ten minutes, let it rise for a couple hours and then kneaded it again (to activate the wonderful nature of gluten).

Gluten rocks! There's nothing like a handmade dough. *drooling*

I made french bread last night and is currently in it's 1-24 hours refrigeration phase (strengthens the flavor). I'll pop it in the oven tonight and warm bread with dinner. Probably spritz it with olive oil and top it with a thick slice of tomato and some chopped basil. I love my unhealthy white bread!

(looks at the clock and taps foot impatiently)

That's one I've never tried. I've had success with pizza crust, sweet rolls, and doughnuts, but for some reason, I struggle with loaves. I need more practice.

I sucked at it when I first started but I've been making some sort of loaf bread 2-3 times a week for several years now. They still don't look like market/magazine artisan bread but they sure as h*ll taste like it. So practice might not always make perfect but it definitely makes tasty.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

I cannot even fathom how much "meat and green leafy things" you must be eating in order to fill you up more than a large pizza.

Everyone is different you know..

if you can eat an entire pizza and it fills you for hours, then that is great for you. Eating a large pizza will *empty* me, rather quickly, if you catch my drift and i'll be hungry soon thereafter. I am capable of eating an entire pizza in one sitting too.

Or I can make my HUGE dinner of "meat and green leafy things" and be full for a long time. More protein in my dinner versus the pizza, less fat, less carbs less calories and less grease in my dinner and full longer. That's so winning it almost needs a new category.

ETA: i'm assuming pizza you buy, not homemade pizza. Which can be very healthy and filling depending on how it's made. I've experienced both sides when eating homemade pizza.

Yep, fully aware that people are different. Some people have been saying for a couple of days that pizza and burrito bowls are unhealthy. When pressed to further define "unhealthy" it was then changed to "because it doesn't fill me up". I'm just honestly confused, and maybe this is because I'm a petite female, how a burrito bowl or an entire pizza (and I wasn't distinguishing between homemade or delivery) can not fill you up. I don't eat an entire pizza, because I am honestly too full after 2-3 slices. I get that people can eat a lot more than I do, I'm just trying to understand, if satiety is what you are looking for - how much volume of meat and vegetables one would have to consume to surpass the full feeling that comes from pizza.

As others have pointed out there are plenty of ways to modify pizza recipes to make them "healthier" by whatever definition you subscribe to. Completely eliminating pizza forever for your diet because you deem it "unhealthy", sounds like a miserable existence.

No kidding. That's why I don't plan to do that. You see right now, with my current calorie deficit, a couple pieces of pizza is a meal or actually a bit more. If I ate those two pieces, I would then find myself in a really horrible position of being ridiculously hungry and out of calories. Besides, I don't know if this is the same for everyone but my local PaPaJohns doesn't deliver two pieces of pizza. You know what happens when you put a ravenously hungry fat man in a room with a large pizza? Bad Things happen.

Now one day when utopia has arrived, I will be at maintenance, and I will fully enjoy those two pieces of pizza and then I will fill up on foods that don't just taste good and wave goodbye a few minutes later.

I think what everyone is saying though is that you could make a pizza that is healthy, filling, and satisfies the desire for pizza without destroying your calories. Not that you have to - you can and should eat whatever you want to eat - but that kind of pizza does exist. Let me get down into bunker before I utter the words cauliflower crust. I know it's a horrible crime against pizza-humanity (pizzamanity? pizzanity?) but I personally find it delicious and enough to satisfy that pizza desire when I'm looking to save calories. (Of course if I really do want pizza, I either fit it into my calories or reserve it for a "cheat" day and go to town.)
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

Wait. Are you still mad because a Texan dared to call themselves a Southerner and pointed out that you were taking common words and trying to play a race card off of them? lol

Wait.............Texas isn't a southern state? Technically, I am from Louisiana and live in Texas. Either way, I'm a Southerner.

Yes, I know OT but I cannot get into a "healthy" pizza debate. Sometimes, I eat because it's tasty. :happy:
  • judyde
    judyde Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    In...

for Pizzaups...

96582ec23b177d968cae4ecce3ed12c7.gif

Fantastic! And I assume this turns the pizza into a "negative calorie food" since you're working out while eating it, right???

BTW, Wendyterry420, your profile picture is making me want cake - SABOTEUR!!! (Is that peanut butter cream in the middle? YUM!!!)
  • judyde
    Options

Wait. Are you still mad because a Texan dared to call themselves a Southerner and pointed out that you were taking common words and trying to play a race card off of them? lol

Wait.............Texas isn't a southern state? Technically, I am from Louisiana and live in Texas. Either way, I'm a Southerner.

You know your family is from Florida when they refer to Tennessee as "up north". LOL, true story (my husband's family.)
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

I think what everyone is saying though is that you could make a pizza that is healthy, filling, and satisfies the desire for pizza without destroying your calories. Not that you have to - you can and should eat whatever you want to eat - but that kind of pizza does exist. Let me get down into bunker before I utter the words cauliflower crust. I know it's a horrible crime against pizza-humanity (pizzamanity? pizzanity?) but I personally find it delicious and enough to satisfy that pizza desire when I'm looking to save calories. (Of course if I really do want pizza, I either fit it into my calories or reserve it for a "cheat" day and go to town.)

I love cauliflower. Cut up, tossed with olive oil and minced garlic then baked in the oven till tinged golden.

As a crust, not so much. The texture alone skeeves me out.

Glad it fits your tastes though.
  • judyde
    Options
    Let me get down into bunker before I utter the words cauliflower crust. I know it's a horrible crime against pizza-humanity (pizzamanity? pizzanity?) but I personally find it delicious and enough to satisfy that pizza desire when I'm looking to save calories.

Maybe just call it a cauliflower recipe rather than a pizza recipe.

But you actually eat that and admit to it? And say you think it's tasty?

Courageous girl you are :)

You could survive a famine using grass recipes. And call it green salad :)

This thread is going in soooo many different directions - pizza recipes, borscht gifs, who's a Southerner? and now....

Cauliflower hating!

Personally, I love cauliflower, roasted with a little olive oil and topped with a little parm cheese. I haven't tried the cauliflower pizza crust. Sounds yummy if you like cauliflower.
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Let me get down into bunker before I utter the words cauliflower crust. I know it's a horrible crime against pizza-humanity (pizzamanity? pizzanity?) but I personally find it delicious and enough to satisfy that pizza desire when I'm looking to save calories.

I proudly admit to eating it and enjoying it!

I think it's about expectation. The taste and texture are of course very different from traditional pizza crust, so I go in expecting that. And I found a great recipe that produces a flavorful faux-crust that is firm enough to pick up and eat. It's not for everyone, but it works for me from time to time.
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

I cannot even fathom how much "meat and green leafy things" you must be eating in order to fill you up more than a large pizza.

if you can eat an entire pizza and it fills you for hours, then that is great for you. Eating a large pizza will *empty* me, rather quickly, if you catch my drift and i'll be hungry soon thereafter. I am capable of eating an entire pizza in one sitting too.

Or I can make my HUGE dinner of "meat and green leafy things" and be full for a long time. More protein in my dinner versus the pizza, less fat, less carbs less calories and less grease in my dinner and full longer. That's so winning it almost needs a new category.

ETA: i'm assuming pizza you buy, not homemade pizza. Which can be very healthy and filling depending on how it's made. I've experienced both sides when eating homemade pizza.

Yep, fully aware that people are different. Some people have been saying for a couple of days that pizza and burrito bowls are unhealthy. When pressed to further define "unhealthy" it was then changed to "because it doesn't fill me up". I'm just honestly confused, and maybe this is because I'm a petite female, how a burrito bowl or an entire pizza (and I wasn't distinguishing between homemade or delivery) can not fill you up. I don't eat an entire pizza, because I am honestly too full after 2-3 slices. I get that people can eat a lot more than I do, I'm just trying to understand, if satiety is what you are looking for - how much volume of meat and vegetables one would have to consume to surpass the full feeling that comes from pizza.

As others have pointed out there are plenty of ways to modify pizza recipes to make them "healthier" by whatever definition you subscribe to. Completely eliminating pizza forever for your diet because you deem it "unhealthy", sounds like a miserable existence.

No kidding. That's why I don't plan to do that. You see right now, with my current calorie deficit, a couple pieces of pizza is a meal or actually a bit more. If I ate those two pieces, I would then find myself in a really horrible position of being ridiculously hungry and out of calories. Besides, I don't know if this is the same for everyone but my local PaPaJohns doesn't deliver two pieces of pizza. You know what happens when you put a ravenously hungry fat man in a room with a large pizza? Bad Things happen.

Now one day when utopia has arrived, I will be at maintenance, and I will fully enjoy those two pieces of pizza and then I will fill up on foods that don't just taste good and wave goodbye a few minutes later.

WTF is your calorie goal set at for 2 pieces of pizza to screw it up?
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    In...

for Pizzaups...

96582ec23b177d968cae4ecce3ed12c7.gif

Fantastic! And I assume this turns the pizza into a "negative calorie food" since you're working out while eating it, right???

BTW, Wendyterry420, your profile picture is making me want cake - SABOTEUR!!! (Is that peanut butter cream in the middle? YUM!!!)

It's a peanut butter cream cheese frosting. This is the cake I made my son for his birthday. The top part is a genache, which turned out beautifully for my first time making it.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

Yes, I know OT but I cannot get into a "healthy" pizza debate. Sometimes, I eat because it's tasty. :happy:

LOL Yeah, that was from another thread. I was informed that I am in fact, not a Southerner because Texas is a "western" state. We'll just forget that Texas is almost as far South as you can get, and the last of the Confederates to surrender.

All that is really far OT though. My apologies, everyone.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

Miserable *for you*. I still cave to pizza occasionally. But i am very very picky about my pizza. If I'm going to "suffer" for eating it, it's going to be worth it. Maybe you or other do not suffer. Great. It's unhealthy food for me. It's also one of my favorite food. I am much more miserable when I eat it then when I forgo eating it.

I guess I don't see the issue??? Pizza for one person bad, Pizza for another person not bad. It's unhealthy because it does not fit into my diet of choice, it does not set well in my tummy and it does nothing to help me eat less.

At 250 calories or more per slice. I don't really see how this is a question. 2 slices do not fill me up either. Those 2 slices are the equivalent in calories (strictly speaking calories) as en entire huge plate of my super filling food. My son can eat 4-5 pieces with garlic bread if I let him. I make him eat salad and he begs for the cookie for dessert. He's always hungry about an hour later.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Personally, I eat to my numbers and mostly ignore satiety, so this whole "fills you up" aspect of various foods is mostly meaningless (to me). I honestly believe this is something that can be learned with practice (assuming overall calorie limits are reasonable and you're not fighting actual serious hunger). I believe that we are capable of adjusting to low volume, but adequate calorie eating since that is ultimately what our bodies dictate we need: sufficient calories (which is not synonymous with "feeling full").

(And when I had my calories set a little too low and I felt genuinely hungry for a few days in a row, I realized my calorie goal was less than ideal and I adjusted accordingly. Problem solved without consideration of satiety at all.)

But that's just me...and yeah, everyone is different and all that stuff, I suppose.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

I proudly admit to eating it and enjoying it!

I think it's about expectation. The taste and texture are of course very different from traditional pizza crust, so I go in expecting that. And I found a great recipe that produces a flavorful faux-crust that is firm enough to pick up and eat. It's not for everyone, but it works for me from time to time.

I agree. I have not tried the cauliflower crust. But I have used eggplant as the base instead of traditional dough. If you expect it to taste like eggplant and not pizza crust, then it's pretty good. If you expect it to taste like traditional pizza you are in for a let down and will probably banish it from your diet. I sorta want to try making a pizza using a rice cake as a crust. Just for ****s and giggles. :drinker:
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options

1600. I suppose if I had a lot less to lose or wanted to still be jackin around with the same cut years from now, I could set it up somewhere around where yours is.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Options

Personally, I eat to my numbers and mostly ignore satiety, so this whole "fills you up" aspect of various foods is mostly meaningless (to me). I honestly believe this is something that can be learned with practice (assuming overall calorie limits are reasonable and you're not fighting actual serious hunger). I believe that we are capable of adjusting to low volume, but adequate calorie eating since that is ultimately what our bodies dictate we need: sufficient calories (which is not synonymous with "feeling full").

(And when I had my calories set a little too low and I felt genuinely hungry for a few days in a row, I realized my calorie goal was less than ideal and I adjusted accordingly. Problem solved without consideration of satiety at all.)

But that's just me...and yeah, everyone is different and all that stuff, I suppose.

I think there is a big difference between feeling full and feeling stuffed. I eat when i'm not hungry, so I rarely feel real hunger. But I like to know that I eat enough and the "i'm full" signal tells me that. If I eat too much I become lethargic and feel bloated and yucky. I think listening to your body is important. I don't know how else to do that without feeling the "i'm full" signal from your body.

1600. I suppose if I had a lot less to lose or wanted to still be jackin around with the same cut years from now, I could set it up somewhere around where yours is.
    That is my BMR.. are you sure you have your calories set right? i'm a 5'10" woman and I weight 191 with about 30% BF
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

Ohhhh...wow. That is awfully low. I would feel like I was dying. But still. Make it a thin crust and pile on the veggies and low fat cheese. Just a suggestion.
  • jmv7117
    jmv7117 Posts: 891 Member
    Options

This thread is going in soooo many different directions - pizza recipes, borscht gifs, who's a Southerner? and now....

Cauliflower hating!

Personally, I love cauliflower, roasted with a little olive oil and topped with a little parm cheese. I haven't tried the cauliflower pizza crust. Sounds yummy if you like cauliflower.

Here's a new twist, Paleo cheesecake. Healthy and Paleo!
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Wow, that's surprising. I'm 5'4" and when I was cutting (started around 160), I was eating 1700 calories a day. It took a year to get down to 135, my current weight. You look considerably taller and male. Are you maintaining much of your lean body mass with that sort of deficit?