Replies

• jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Ephedra:

ephedra2386L.jpg

Ephedrine:

0192801015.ephedrine.1.jpg

Hell and high water...Argument "ad natura" is silly. Plants contain millions of chemicals, some of them with therapeutic use. We just have discovered that it's sometimes cheaper and "purer" (as in chemical composition) to obtain synthetically.

Aspirin was originally extracted from willow bark... now is synthesized (cheaper).
    Caffeine can be extracted from coffee (that's how you get decaf - by removing it with an organic solvent or more recently supercritical water). But it can also be synthesized from urea. The horror!
    Penicillium is still harvested from mold :) we haven't found a cheaper way than to "grow" it.

The active ingredients are mostly the same. Ephedrine is indeed the active ingredient in ephedra (the plant). Ephedra contains other alkaloids, especially those isomers or close relatives to ephedrine like norephedrine, and their dextro/levo rotating versions (basically, mirror images of the molecule, which has an effect on how it will affect your body. For those that liked Breaking Bad, you'll remember there are two types of finished meth - one is more psychoactive than the other and why Mr. White was so successful).

Taking ephedrine is "simpler" than making an ephedra infusion or tea, simply because the damned pill comes dosed. The plants don't so you keep guessing. if you want 200 mg of caffeine with paracetamol for your headache, it's simpler to buy the pills than to guess if you need one or 3 espresso shots in your mocha latte.

So don't be scared of "chemicals". They are in fricking everywhere. :)

I believe you read a number of things in my post that weren't there.
  • LittleMissAlx
    LittleMissAlx Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I tried it at uni in combination with caffeine pills (I don't drink anything with caffeine - just don't like it!) and quite often working through the night or insanely long hours was necessary. I didn't get any side effects of it, other than feeling a bit shaky on one occasion. Didn't use it for weight loss purposes though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,618 Member
    Options
    The fact that it can't be marketed in the US is clue enough to not buy it through any means at all.

Please choose NOT to buy it by any means and make a conscious choice to lose weight through healthy means.
    I find it offensive that people think I'm just searching for some pill to eat and then continue to sit on the couch. I've lost a lot of weight by calorie counting, diet changes and exercise. I've hit a plateau and was considering supplements to help me get over this hump to reach my goal weight (10-15lb away).
    So you haven't lost any weight being consistent for 6 weeks or more?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    The fact that it can't be marketed in the US is clue enough to not buy it through any means at all.

Please choose NOT to buy it by any means and make a conscious choice to lose weight through healthy means.
    I find it offensive that people think I'm just searching for some pill to eat and then continue to sit on the couch. I've lost a lot of weight by calorie counting, diet changes and exercise. I've hit a plateau and was considering supplements to help me get over this hump to reach my goal weight (10-15lb away).

Supplements are not the way to get over a "plateau." In pretty much all cases, people plateau (assuming it's a 'real' plateau and not "my weight hasn't changed much in two weeks) because of errors in calorie intake. They are going to the gym less but eating just as much, they're having more cheat days, they've gotten lazy with measuring food, etc.

In general, the answer to "I've plateaued" is "take a hard look at your calorie goal and recommit to high quality logging and consistency."
  • GoPhil04
    GoPhil04 Posts: 93
    Options
    Didnt realize this thread would blow up like this....I should have known considering the topic at hand...

However, NO, I was not judging you based off of your avatar.

Your sentence structure and line of questioning on the product catalyzed that statement.

If you need help with supplements im the guy to talk to. Message me.
  • rbiss
    rbiss Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Well, I always see body builders talk about using this (Ephedrine, caffeine and aspirin stacks) to help with fat loss when things get really tough (like you can't really cut anymore). It just seemed like something too good to pass up.

Those guys are elite and stupid. Just set a healthy calorie deficit and exercise. There is no magic pill. This journey is very very hard and its going to take a long time. You will need to really understand that to have long term success.

Ahh, and ephedrine will damage your heart. If it doesn't explode, it still may enlarge your heart chambers causing it to crap out. Don't do it.
  • LianaG1115
    LianaG1115 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    I took it not knowing what was in my pre-workout and ended up in the ER just this past Wednesday for an OD on that and on Niacin, tread lightly with those things!! The directions on the package don't always apply to everyone!! And yes I was shaking like a crackhead going through withdrawals in the ER I couldn't even write my own name!! It took about 30-45 minutes to come down!! A quick fix for a crackhead if someone needed a quick rush!!
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I used it before the ban when it was still in xenadrine. I didn't really change my lifestyle and lost a lot of weight on it. I didn't personally experience any negative reactions to it but it had been linked to some deaths which led to the ban. I wouldn't use it again, not worth my life.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    Options
    I'll tell you one thing, since so many people have reported about palpitations on it.

I have a heart arrhythmia. Born with it, dealt with it all my life. My resting heart rate three years ago at the ER was over 200+ beats per minute. They had to ***STOP MY HEART TWICE*** with the worst IV medicine I've ever experienced to get it to stop. Awake for the whole thing too. Mine was a worst case scenario, but going to the ER for heart palps, especially ones you have 100% control over preventing, is not fun at all. I seriously cannot fathom why anyone would consider using a drug that is very well known for causing them.