40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Happy Holidays! Congrats to all of those goal achievers out there!!!
  • timetripper42
    Options
    I have been on MFP for about fifty days and just found this. Well hello and the journey begins
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

As the holidays quickly descend upon us, I cannot help but think about the true blessings of this life of mine. I tend to get caught up in the hustle and bustle of it all, and forget about the true meaning of Christmas. I really think that it's a time for reflection and examination of one's self. It's a time for a gathering of loved ones, be it a husband and wife, or the whole extended family. My heart goes out to those who are alone, for they need our compassion and friendship the most. I'm sure that the holidays are anything but merry when you are lonely. So, let's take a few moments out of our lives to brighten the lives of others. It doesn't cost anything but a few moments of your time.

Wow, where did that come from? I hope to practice what I preach! I kinda feel guilty for having so much. I need to be more thankful and never forget the great abundance I've been given. I am very thankful for you, my friends here at MFP!!!

Have a wonderful day!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,816 Member
    Options
    singfree, I always make my husband sit down for a 'year end review' talk sometime around the New Year. He does it somewhat grudgingly, but once we get going, it always ends up being a fun discussion talking about some of the great people we've met, the places we've gone, etc. I find it helps me keep perspective during a time (winter) when I have a tendency to get a little down. I'm particularly reflective this year because so much has happened over this past year. But when we sat down for our end-of-year review last weekend, and I asked the question 'What was the worst thing that happened this year?', both my husband and I were very quiet for a long time. We concluded that this had, in fact, been a very good year because nothing 'bad' happened at all. How lucky we are to be able to say that, and I keep reminding myself of it every single day.

LadyPersia, I hope you are feeling better. Thanks for checking in.

timetripper42.....welcome!!! I read your profile, and it looks like you've got great motivation right now. All of us here are in different stages of our journeys toward healthier living, so feel free to ask any questions, share any frustration, etc. We welcome it!!

All here is well. Looks like we won't be getting a White Christmas after all. Hardly surprising, and that's okay with me right now. I feel like I'm getting better control of my eating right now, and a weekend snowed in probably wouldn't help that! I'd rather be out and about and active. I got a couple of great workouts in yesterday, and did a light kickboxing workout already this morning. I'll be doing a circuit workout a little later. So all is good in that area.

Enjoy your day!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Merry Christmas Everyone! I am now day 13 post final round of Chemo and starting to feel human again. Like the last few rounds this one really zapped me. Luckily, I should be really feeling great by Christmas Day.

My New Year's Resolutions will be based on trying to get my strength back and getting back to eating clean. Of course, my weight is lower than it was when I first got married but I feel like I have lost so much lean muscle mass that my goal will be to try and get some of that back and eas back into running. Unfortunately, right now I have a lot of peripheal nueropathy in my right foot which doesn't make me the best for running so I'm just going to play it by ear.

Happy Holidays, Stay safe if you will be dealing with cold and snow or I guess from the news today rain and floods.
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Duffy!!!! Been following your blog. You are my hero!

Hello everyone. Not been very good lately at posting. Had very busy week last week getting things pulled together for two days of board meetings. Then went to Phoenix for a business meeting.

Both kids are home from school for the holidays. House is getting decorated and cleaned and then messy again.

We have had to miss the trainer two weeks in a row. We are going to San Francisco second week of January so I told my husband we need to to do the treadmill on high incline to get ready. Those hills are great work out!

Today is my last day at work before Christmas. Then back for a couple of days and then off with family from Mississippi in town.

We have gumbo for Christmas Eve which I usually make the weekend before. Since I was out of town and the timing was off, I will make it Thursday to have on Friday. Will have to augment the homegrown okra with store bought as our okra did not do well this past summer.

Take care all! TxMs
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Last day of work before Christmas! Yahoo!! It'll be nice to have a few days off. We will have a fairly quiet Christmas Day this year. We invited our Pastor and his wife for dinner, since they are alone and have no other plans. On Sunday we are picking up our grandson for a two day visit. It's going to be fun watching him open his Thomas train set. Thomas is his favorite, as well as the his little stuffed donkey named Bip.

Tomorrow morning we are going shopping early for a few last minute food items, and maybe a quick stop at Barnes & Noble for a coffee. I must confess that I love to sit and read there. When I am finally retired I will be a permanent fixture there.

For today, however, it's another day at work. I will go to the gym at lunch and do a lower body workout and some cardio for good measure. As much as I had good intentions to eat well this week, I am failing miserably! Too many temptations here at work. I wish the goodies would just disappear.

Stiring, those brownies sound good! It's nice that your husband is actually willing to have a serious discussion about life. Most men are afraid to talk about such things. I find it especially helpful to talk about things, especially finances as we grow older. I witnessed firsthand how one spouse died and the other had no clue as to their financial condition. I feel confident that if one of us passed away suddenly, the other would be ok (at least financially).

Duffy, a merry and blessed Christmas to you and your family. You've been through a lot this year, and I just know that everything you've had to endure will ultimately be a blessing. Enjoy the Christmas season with your loved ones!

Tex, enjoy the gumbo! I've only had it a few times (in New Orleans). In the Northeast we have some traditions of our own. An old tradition in this part of PA is the old German tradition of having roast pork and sauerkraut on New Year's Day (for good luck). Actually, I enjoy that, too, with a heaping mound of mashed potatoes. We searched for years to find a really good German sauerkraut. A local market carries 2 brands of imported sauerkraut. Sounds odd, but it is tasty!

Timetripper, stay with us. There's always room for another guy here!

Have a great day!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Good morning! I'm up early before the rest of the house, as usual. But today everyone is home--school is out, my husband is off work. Lots of decorating awaits.....and then visitors.

So I have to make a confession. It has been 2 months I believe since my scale went in the closet. This morning I looked in the mirror, thought I looked thin, and then said....Yeah, I am safe to do this. I pulled the scale out and weighed myself. I don't remember my last reading exactly because it was always up and down by 2 lbs depending on the day.... but this showed I was around 3-5 lbs higher than I was this summer. Hmmmm, am I surprised? I guess not. But my clothing fits the same, and I think I look the same? And I'm exercising the same. I think the only difference is about 200 calories a day since I went from losing to maintaining. Weird. Back in the closet the scale went. I guess with this knowledge I can be happy to do what I'm doing because I think I look fine or attempt to lose a few lbs--but maybe I never needed to be less than I am now?? I'm not sure......

Aside from that, exercise has been good. I'm still not craving sweets at all so haven't had any cookies, or chocolate. What a gift this has been. I'm psyched we aren't going anywhere for the holidays so I can keep exercising. Gaining for the holiday's is not on the agenda.....

I'm with Sing on being thankful. I want to thank all of you here on the board for such great support over the last year. It's really fun to check in with all of you throughout the week and be listeners and supporters of each others progress. You are all amazing!! I'm so thankful I found you!

Have a wonderful day, and wonderful Xmas if I don't check in before then!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    duffy, so good to see you. Glad to hear you are continuing to recover from your last treatment. I remember your goal going into treatment was to be cancer free for Christmas....and here you are! You amaze me. I love that you New Year's resolution is going to focus on your health. You've been an incredible inspiration to me this year, and, again, I thank you so much for sharing your journey on your blog. :flowerforyou:

TxMs, I've missed you!!! You've certainly been traveling alot over the past few months, haven't you? I'm happy you will be surrounded by family for the holidays. Have fun and enjoy the gumbo!

kadetr, don't worry about the few pounds!!! Seriously. I've learned quite a lesson about 'set-point' over the past year or so. I simply couldn't maintain my lowest weight and live the life I want to live. By gaining back about ten pounds, I'm able to maintain while enjoying--within reason--some of life's less healthy food pleasures. My New Year's Resolution for 2010 was to find balance in my life, and it took me about nine months to figure it out when it comes to food and weight. I was forcing my body to be unnaturally thin. Now, I'm still thin (I can still get into some size 0's), but I also feel like I can live. I no longer fear social functions and such like I used to because I was always worried that one meal would throw me off my 'plan'. Now I have all of the confidence in the world that I'll make the healthiest choices possible, and if healthy isn't an option, that I'll eat within reason AND my body will be able to deal with it. You are doing spectacularly well because, honestly, you've been maintaining for quite a few months now and to gain just a few pounds......that's nothing!!! Celebrate and enjoy it. You are doing really great. I hope you enjoy your Christmas!! :flowerforyou:

singfree, Barnes and Noble is one of my favorite places too!! In fact, I was in one just yesterday. I'm thinking of going back tomorrow. I'm addicted. :blushing: Our holiday food tradition is eggs benedict. I have no idea where that one came from, but I grew up eating it. I'm sure it has nothing to do with my family's heritage and everything to do with what my mother enjoyed eating! And that's okay with me. I introduced my husband to the tradition and, for him, it just isn't Christmas unless we make eggs benedict for Christmas. And after a breakfast like that, we tend to eat pretty light the rest of the day which keeps me out of the kitchen for the bulk of Christmas. I like that.

Got in a good Insanity workout this morning and will probably do some yoga later. I'm hoping to get in a good workout tomorrow as well. My eating has been getting better throughout the week instead of worse, which is good. But I'm going to make a cheesecake for my husband and I today. It's just a small cheesecake--big enough for four slices--so that's good. It is a rare treat for us, and my husband specifically requested it recently. It's Christmas so.....why not? It's a Hot Buttered Rum cheesecake.

I'll try to check-in tomorrow!!! Enjoy your day.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Alf, if you are old, what does that make me????:noway: What I wouldn't give for 40 degree weather right now!!!! As far as young guys eyeing you up, take it as a compliment...you are looking mighty good to them! There is NO WAY I would let my wife video my so-called dancing. You've heard the saying, "...white guys can't jump"?? Well, white guys can't dance either (at least the straight ones)!!!!

Here we go again, another one who thinks that men who can dance are gay!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: My husband says that all the time...:tongue:
  • alf1163
    Options
    Ok, now for a more serious post...enjoyed reading most posts. Sorry, has been gone so many days. Been quite busy...I, too, have not been a good girl lately, tons of food, especially sweets around...but oh well, it is not new...Sing, would love to join you in the eating healthy effort this week but I dont think it will happen, maybe next week...for sure after the 1st of the year. :laugh:

I went to see the Dr on Monday. He requested another MRI with an injection to see the area better and while they are at it they will inject me with steroids to see if that helps with the pain etc...yikes!!!!! Just the thought of it hurts more... :noway: That MRI is scheduled on Jan 10. Surprisingly he said I can continue doing what I am doing, Zumba and all!!! :noway: I thought he would ask me to rest, etc...so I am still teaching Zumba!!! Yes, it hurts, especially after and throughout the day but it is nothing new now...he said that if he were to do MRIs to 100 people a good percentage of them will show a labrum tear. Wow!!!!!

If I am not able to log in before Christmas I want to wish all of you a blessed Christmas with your loved ones!!!!

Stiring, I love your new picture, lovely!!!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Off to do some last minute shopping this morning and a coffee & bagel at Barnes & Noble. We have a 5 pm and 11pm Christmas Eve service today, so we will be quite busy later on.

Reporting day...ughhhh...the cookies and candies are killing me! No willpower at all. Hopefully I can get my act together soon and stop the insanity (remember spikey hair Susan Powter??).

I hope that everyone has a merry and blessed Christmas!!

Take care friends! Ho Ho HO!!!!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Merry Christmas Everybody!!

Friday check-in....could have been a better week....could have been a worse week. I'm holding my own. I'm happy right now that I made the point of getting up early this morning to get a workout in. I know my eating today isn't going to be great, so at least I'm holding up on one end of the deal. I'm planning on doing short resistance training workout in a couple of minutes (already did the cardio) and then spending the rest of the day with my husband.

Hope you all have a wonderful holiday!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Very rainy day here in San Antonio!!!!! Check in? Yikes!!!!! I said it all with that.... :laugh: :noway: No exercise for me today, resting my hip. Going to my brother's house tonight so I am cooking a nice pork shoulder butt (Puertorrican pernil). It smells so good. :love: :laugh:

Sing, have a peaceful and wonderful time at church tonight.

Stiring, enjoy your time with your hubby. Mine just went to the store to buy last minute gifts. :noway: I really didnt want him to get out there today with all the traffic and the rain but oh well...it is very quiet in the house right now. I have to enjoy this because it will not be quiet at my brother's house. :laugh:

I want to wish all of you a blessed Christmas with your loved ones!!!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Merry Christmas everyone!

End of a very enjoyable day with the my wonderful family. Actually didn't eat too much for dinner, but did drink a glass of ChocoWine while watching the A-Team, then had pumpkin pie while watching The Easy A. Both good movies, even though totally different kinds of movies. I'm not much of a wine drinker, but ChocoWine's not bad. It's a burgundy saturated with deep, dark chocolate flavor. Now tolerating MythBusters..........my husband is hooked on it; but it's better than when he goes on a History Channel marathon!!! :laugh:

Yawn............time to head to bed..............it's been a long, long day!.
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    Hi Everyone! Checking in and wishing everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

Hope you are all well!
  • alf1163
    Options
    Hello everyone!!! I hope everyone had a blessed Christmas!!! I spent the entire day at home in my pj's, that was sooooo nice!!!! I think we are taking my son to Sea World tonight for the Holiday shows. Just to get out of the house...

Marla, great to hear from you. Your husband tv shows taste sounds like mine...he also likes those. He is not a sports guy...thank God because I am not either....glad you had a great Christmas.

Zippy, great to hear from you!!!!

Take care!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

We had a very nice and quiet Christmas. Our grandson is at our house until tomorrow. He loves his Thomas wooden train set the "Santa" left at our house for him. I was wishing for a BMW but that didn't happen!! :laugh: Oh well, there's always next year.

We dodged a bullet with the snow. Only around an inch fell here, but it is very windy and cold. The areas to the east of us received a lot more snow, since the storm hugged the coastline. At least I get to watch the Eagles play tomorrow night in better conditions (not live, but in Hi-Def in front of the fireplace)!!!

OK, now that the holidays are nearly over, I am FINALLY going to get serious about my diet and exercise. It's been a rough time for me with work and other activities. My body is not in terrible shape, but I am carrying around a few more lbs of wine and chocolate than I'd like. Actually, I am feeling bloated and sluggish from my poor eating habits. That's going to change right now! I need to flush the system with water and start over. I will do a good upper body workout at lunchtime today and an Insanity workout after work. Nothing like a good sweat to get some of those nasty impurities out!

We are in month-end and year-end closing at work, so it's going to be busy here for a few days. Have a great day!!!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

We, too, enjoyed a quiet and pleasant Christmas here in the DC area. Despite much hand-wringing by the TV meterologists and many predictions to the contrary, we, too, escaped the snow. It made me sad to see all of the salt trucks and snow removal trucks out yesterday, prepared for a blizzard that never came. These people could have been home with their families instead of sitting on dry roads. But there was nothing I could do about it. It is pretty windy and chilly this morning, but that's supposed to change later this week when we get up close to 50 degrees!

I got some decent workouts in this weekend and already did a good cardio this morning. I'm planning on doing an upper body workout later today.....as well as take all of the Christmas stuff down. That will be a workout in itself! My eating this weekend wasn't great, but it also could have been a whole lot worse. Like singfree, I feel a bit sluggish and bloated right now, but I'm hoping that passes in a day or two. I'm not one who really celebrates the New Year, so next weekend shouldn't be much of a problem IF I can keep myself focused on good eating. Here's hoping I can!

Hope you all enjoyed your holiday!
  • Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi there! Well, we still have the snow coming down in VT, but it's not really too awful of a storm ----6-8 inches?? No big deal. I love not having to go anywhere but wasn't happy that my hubby was driving his 30 mile commute on the bad roads today.

Hope everyone had a great Christmas! All was good here--I was heavy on the eating but I did exercise throughout, and am going to have an exercise rest day today. I have a new challenge--the breadmaking machine my husband bought me for Xmas. I made my first loaf (Honey Wheat) and calculated it was about 200 calories a slice!!! But it was sooooo good!!.I think I have some work to do in figuring out how to use this and not break the calorie bank every day. :smile: If anyone has some pointers, let me know.

Sing--awesome about the Thomas phase with your grandson. I loved it--and my son at 6 still loves it. Instead of focusing on the trains themselves, they get into the track design as they get a little older.

Stiring--I can't believe DC didn't get any snow!! Wow. My step-daughter is supposed to go back to DC today and I was thinking that wouldn't be an option...but maybe if she can leave VT, she might actually get to DC after all. I'm sure you'll do great getting the eating back on track today...I'm hoping for that too.

take care everyone, enjoy the day!