40+ Club: Fall Fitness Fanatics

Options

Replies

• Robin1117
    Robin1117 Posts: 1,768 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone--just wanted to say a quick Happy New Year to everyone!!!

Alf and Stiring and everyone--we aren't even close to being old---what do we all have, since we are all so healthy, another 40-50 years to go?? that's a long time, so if we act old now, we'll be pretty bored for many many more years.... :).

Stiring-if you have some great bread recipe's you don't mind sending over, please message that to me at your earliest convenience. I would love that--thanks, but no rush, I know this is kind of a busy time.......

Everyone--enjoy the New Year's celebration this weekend!!
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

We are leaving in on hour for DC!! See you soon, Stiring!

Happy New Year!
  • zippy111
    zippy111 Posts: 2,241 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year everyone! Sing, how awesome that you and Stiring are going to meet! Have a great visit!

2011 is going to be my year!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,813 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year's Eve Everybody!!

Friday check-in....this week was better than last week in terms of eating, but I feel much heavier this week than I did last week which isn't good. I think everything I ate over the weekend has finally landed on my thighs. Oh, well. My workouts have been good this week. I've already done an Insanity workout today and plan on doing some resistance training in a few minutes. That way maybe I'll at least look like fit heavy when I meet singfree in a few hours!! I can't wai!!

alf, my husband is fine with this. He can be a jealous guy, but only if he thinks somebody is doing something inappropriate towards me. This is, obviously, not the case in this situation. He is going to be joining singfree and I today, and is looking forward to it. He likes meeting new people and had a great day when we met up with zebras and her husband here in DC. And I totally agree with singfree. I don't think your husband would really like it if you acted 'your age!'

zebras, good to see you. So was it a typo when you said you were vowing to get back on track in 2012? I mean....that's a year away. :bigsmile: You've done great in 2010. You've tried and enjoyed new fitness programs and managed to do all of that despite alot of turmoil in your life. Congratulate yourself on that!! You deserve it.

JuliaSoCal.....AMAZING photos!!!!! You are SUCH an inspiration. Thank you for sharing those. You have done some amazing things with yourself this year. I am totally impressed.

tron, be careful! I'll take snow any day over ice. I hate the ice.

kadetr, I completely agree with you about getting older. It really bothers me when people in their 20s say women our ages shouldn't have long hair or wear bikinis or whatever. Why? We have alot of living left to do. It would be a shame if we could only have fun for 20 years of our adult lives and then had to spend the next 40 years being old. I want nothing to do with that! I'll happily send you some bread recipes. It might be in a couple of days though.

zippy, good to see you. Happy New Year!!

Well, off to finish my workout before meeting up with singfree. I wish you all the best for the New Year! I hope you celebrate all your fitness and weight loss accomplishments in 2010.
  • tron3002
    tron3002 Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Friday check in... Eating-not great. Exercising-could be better.

Hope you all have a great new year!!! :drinker: :happy:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WISHING ALL OF YOU A HEALTHY AND PROSPEROUS YEAR!!!!!

LOVE,
    ANNETTE
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year! I finished out the year with my CT Scans and am looking forward to a healthy 2011.

I'm not setting any big goals for the new year but hope to ease back into exercise. For the month of January, that means starting with yoga and nice long dog walks. Food wise, my goals for January are making sure I get my daily hydration and slowly adding in more fruits and veggies.

Hope all are well and can't wait to hear about Sing and Stiring's New year adventure.
  • LadyPersia
    LadyPersia Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Happy New Year
  • singfree
    Options
    Good evening!

I hope everyone had a good weekend! We had a great weekend visiting friends, old and new.

I met Stiring and her husband on Friday around noon. I was very happy to finally meet this terrific lady! We met at a Starbucks near the Farragut West Metro stop in DC. Unfortunately I did not have a whole lot of time to visit, but that was ok. The main thing is that we were finally able to meet and chat for a while. I only wish that we lived closer so that all of us could get together more often. We were in DC for a very short time visiting another couple for New Year's Eve and I needed to get back to Arlington to spend some time with them.

I will check back in the morning.

Have a good night!
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Happy belated New Year everyone!
    It's been a long day here - took all the Christmas stuff down (inside and out), put it all away and then cleaned the house. It feels so nice to have an "uncluttered" house again. I love Christmas, but by the time the wrapping paper is gathered up on Christmas Day I'm ready to have my normal house back..

Now if I can only find some workout motivation........ the hubby and I took last week off, but my great workout plans didn't materialize. Got two workouts in on the ET and made it to Curves once. I had planned to work out every day to get a head start on the New Years' fitness resolutions :frown: . Oh well..............this week won't be a good one - I'm headed home to Minnesota on Tuesday for my aunt's funeral, so I have no clue how late I'll be at work tomorrow. I might get a workout in on Friday. Home is a 9 hour drive, and I'm not looking forward to the cold. There's a reason why we did't move back north when the hubby retired from the Army 10 years ago!:laugh:

Have a good week all..........
    Marla
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Happy New Year Everybody!!

singfree, it was great to meet you on Friday. I, too, wish we had more time, but it was so wonderful to be able to sit down and talk face-to-face. Here's to more of it in the future! :drinker:

For those interested, I've posted a photo of singfree and I in my proflie pics. Have a look. You'll see itis the one of me and a handsome man on a busy DC street.

duffy, sounds like your goals for early 2011 are perfect. Wishing you a Happy and Healthy 2011!!

mkwood, I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt. Be safe on your drive home, and don't worry about the workouts right now if they just don't work. As Tony Horton would say 'Do your best and forget the rest'. Those are very wise words in times like this.

We had a great start to our new year. After meeting singfree on Friday, my husband and I spent the rest of the day exploring places we'd not been yet in DC, which included a tour of the Capitol and a walk through the Library of Congress. It was good fun. Saturday we woke up to warm temps and decided to play golf for the first time since we left Korea. I was pathetic at it, but it was terrific to spend time outdoors like that again. Yesterday we put the rest of the Christmas stuff away and started making our plans for 2011, including lots of talk about fitness.

I'm working on my fitness goals for 2011 right now. I'm toying with trying to get certified as a personal trainer. It's something I've thought about for years, and since it looks like we will be here for the duration of my husband's career, I'm thinking now would be a good time to do it. My husband and I are also looking at training for a half marathon. We'll see how that goes, but it's fun to plan for. I think I'm going to track my calories for a little while again to see if I can't get my eating under control and lose some of this Christmas weight. I figure it would be good to do for at least a few weeks if for no other reason than to remind myself of what I'm eating.

Hope this finds you all well!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning!!! Happy New Year!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: My husband and I celebrated the new year in downtown San Antonio with more than 250,000 people!!! We had a great time! The weather was great!! We stayed in a hotel so we didnt have to drive back home. So far my eating has been great. I teach tonight and spent the day yesterday practicing the new routines so that was my workout yesterday. My Christmas decorations are still up. I will take them down this weekend. Puerto Ricans celebrate The Three Kings Day on Jan 6 so we keep our decorations up until the 7th.

Stiring and Sing, I am happy you had a nice visit!!! :drinker: I love the picture!!!!

MK, sorry to hear about your aunt. Have a safe trip.

Duffy, good to hear from you!!! I wish you a year of health and happiness!!!!

Have a wonderful day!!!!! :drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Good afternoon!

Our internet was down for the morning here at work, so I am just getting online right now. I hope everyone is well.

Stiring, thanks for posting our picture. At least you look great! As for me, not so much...I'm glad that you were able to enjoy the rest of the day in DC. There is SO much to see and do. We've been visiting DC for many years and have yet to scratch the surface with all of the museums and monuments. Our drive home was as uneventful as the drive to DC. Fairly light traffic all the way home. I think it's a great idea about your personal trainer certification. You've been on the "other side" of fitness, as we all were. You can relate to those who are looking to make a positive change in their lives. As soon as I remember the name of the Greek restaurant we went to on New Year's Eve, I will let you know. The food was good (and large servings).

Alf, your latest pix is great. Glad you had a nice evening with your hubby!! Regarding the jealousy thing with husbands, yes, I agree that it can potentially become a problem for some people. I guess I am either older or just plain naiive, but it really didn't enter my mind that I would be meeting a "younger" woman. I was just happy to meet a friend that I've known for a few years now. I would have acted the same even if her husband were not with her. Actually, I probably know some of the ladies here very well, even though we've never met face-to-face! I hope your hubby treats me well if we are able to meet in the future!!

MK, I'm sorry to hear about your aunt's passing. Please be well.

Duffy, It was great to hear from you the other day. Keep the positive attitude going and this year will be a wonderful one for you and your family!!

As for me, I am officially declaring war on bad eating and lack of exercise. I did a really good workout at the gym this morning and I will do some more exercising after work. I am starting today to shed this winter layer of fat. The holidays are over, so there are no more excuses!!!!!

Have a great day!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

The fitness quest has begun (again)!!

After a long discussion with Stiring as to which is the best way to procede, I've decided on a different course of action this time. Traditionally I would cut down (drastically) on my food intake and exercise like there's no tomorrow. Unfortunately, the results seemed to be subpar. This time I'm going to try it the way bodybuilders do it. So for now, I'm going to keep my food intake a bit higher and keep hitting the weights. I'm not giving up on cardio, it's just that I will concentrate most of my evergy on getting stronger and perhaps put on a bit of muscle. I have a difficult time building a lot of muscle. I will stay with this program for about 90 days. After that I will transition to a more cardio-based routine to get lean, but retain as much muscle as possible.

This requires a lot of thought about nutrition. It really goes against the grain to keep my cals higher when I am carrying extra fat, but that's the way it goes! During the "leaning" phase, I will have to monitor not only cals, but to make sure I have enough carbs to fuel the workouts, but not so much that I don't get lean.

It's a grand experiment, to be sure. I hope I have the drive to stick with it, because I think this plan could be a winner. Thanks, Stiring, for all of your honest input. You've really helped me a lot! You know, I read all of the fitness and nutrition articles, but putting it together to fit ME is another story. I needed a trusted friend to assure me that I am on the right track.

Yesterday did an upper body workout at the gym and another short, but intense dumbbell workout at home. My arms & shoulders are feeling it now! Today I will be doing a lower body and core workout, plus some light cardio. I figure that if I keep my butt moving daily, something good will come of it!

Enough of my whining....have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    alf, Happy New Year!! Sounds like you had a fun time on New Year's Eve! Glad to hear your eating is back on track and you are continuing to shine with Zumba. Don't you have another doctor's appointment soon? Hopefully you can get all healed up soon.

singfree, glad to hear you decided to go with the strength training for now. Let us know your results!!! I really think nutrition is key to making it work. Since your eating in generally good, I don't think you'll struggle with that too much though.

All here is well. I'm getting my eating under control as well. I already feel better. I continue with my workouts. I've already done a cardio/core circuit workout this morning and will do lower body resistance later today. I'm focusing more on endurance right now than strength since I did almost two solid years of pretty heavy strength training rotations. My plan is to stick with this for about 60 days before going into another P90X rotation. Shaun T. is supposed to have another workout series out next month called Asylum, which is supposed to be a step up from his Insanity workouts (which I find hard to imagine!) Included is supposed to be a P90X/Asylum rotation, and I'm kind of waiting for that. But if Asylum doesn't come out when planned, I'm going to go ahead with P90X regardless. I know another version of P90X is due out later this year so I want to get in one more rotation before Tony Horton's new version comes out. So many workouts....so little time.

Hope you all have a great day!
  • Robin1117
    Options
    Good morning--I'm with all of you. This week = reversal of holiday bad eating. So far, I'm doing fine, not great. My hubby just left for a trip this morning so I should have a good 3 days where I don't have to make a huge protein-heavy dinner. I miss him when he leaves but it's good timing to set me straight on my eating levels.

Exercise last week was kind of nice. With my son on vacation and so much snow, we went sledding and snowshoeing every day. This involved both of us going down the hill, but I had to go back up the hill over and over and over again to bring the sleds back up, to get him, etc. I probably did 4 climbs to his 1. Really good exercise. I didn't really count it in my exercise goals but hopefully it helped make up for all the cookies and shortbread I ate last week.

I have been contemplating changing my MFP goals to lose, because of that few lbs I saw that I gained when I pulled the scale out. But, I just can't bring myself to eat in that 1200 range...just seems way too low. Anyway, I'm going to stick to what I'm using , but with clean eating (no sweets) for a few weeks, see if I'm feeling thin and confident enough to weigh myself again and then decide from there.

Have a great day everyone!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

One benefit of staying away (mostly) from junk food is that I feel SO much less bloated. I really don't think it's my imagination. I've also been drinking a lot more water during the day and a few cups of decaf green tea here at work. When it's not hot outside, I tend to drink less fluids...I know it's dumb, but that's how it is. I tend to drink more when I'm thirsty.

Stiring, the workouts are progressing well. Yesterday I did a lower body workout (around 6 different exercises) and finished up with some rowing to get my heart pumping. I still have to be careful because if I am doing an exercose where my head is in an unusual position and I get up quickly, I get that rush of dizziness (same sensation I told you about with lights). It goes away in a few seconds, but it gives me pause. When will this dizziness go away? I hope it's soon!!

Anyway, the workout plan goes like this:

Monday-Wednesday-Friday: Full upper body workout (10 different exercises, 3 sets, 10 reps), and finish up the workout with a short time on either the treadmill or eliptical.

Tuesday-Thursday: Full lower body workout and rowing.

Weekends: Workouts depend on my mood and the weather. I like to get outdoors, but not in really cold weather. I did hike up the mountain in the snow last year, which was challenging and fun. As long as I can stay warm!!

Speaking of snow, kadetr, playing in the snow with your son sounds great! We avoided the snow over the holidays. I like to see a little snow for Christmas, but then I am ready for spring!!

Alf, Happy New Year to you and your family! Glad you had a wonderful time in SA. We still have our decorations up as well. Some people around here celebrate Russian Orthodox Christmas which is (I think) on Friday. Our poor tree has held up well, but it's time to take it out. The maintenance crew in our community collects the trees and makes wood chip mulch to use when they plant shrubbery, etc...

In anticipation of spring, I'm going to take my bike to the shop for it's annual maintenance. I normally wait until March, but by then they are getting very busy. So....I'm going to be an early bird this year! I got derailed last year, but my plan is to reach at least 2000 miles this year (if my little butt can take it)!! :laugh:

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Good Morning!

kadetr, your exercise last week sounds perfect! Regarding your weight, I think it is wise that you are going to give it a little time before cutting back your calories again. I think most of us feel a bit bigger and heavier than we did pre-holiday, and I know that just the few days of cleaner eating I've been doing is making a big difference. There may be no reason for you to cut your calories after a few weeks of healthier ways. But, again, I also think you need to pay attention to how you feel more than the number on the scale. If at the end of the few weeks you feel strong, fit, healthy and energetic, is there really any need to cut your calories down to 1200 to meet a number on the scale? You are at a very healthy weight for your height even with the extra 2-3 pounds you said you gained, so what would be driving you to cut back? Is it to meet a number? Or is it for your health?

singfree, your workout regime looks good. I know we've discussed this before, but if you don't get three upper body workouts in in a week, it's fine. There is no evidence that three are better than two. If you are going to do three upper body workouts in a week, I might suggest that you change one of them up (number of reps/types of exercises) just so your body doesn't adapt to the plan as easily. Just a suggestion, of course.

All here is going well. My eating is much better, and I'm really feeling much better as well. I'm getting some good workouts in. This morning I did a Turbo Fire workout to start my day, and soon I'm going to do a circuit workout to hit all of my muscles.

Hope you all have a great day!
  • singfree
    Options
    Stiring, I do think about adaptation, because I do the same types of exercises at the gym. Sometimes on a Friday I am not always able (or willing) to do a workout. I do feel comfortable with 2 workouts per week (2 upper, 2 lower). It must be a "guy" mindset that by adding an extra workout, the muscle and strength gains will be more rapid. I DO know better...but I don't always heed the voice of reason! That is one of the reasons why I might throw in a varied strength session after work with a variety of dumbbell, kettlebell and body-weight exercises. After about 10-12 weeks of this, I am going to need a break from constantly lifting weights. That's my rationale for transitioning to more cario as spring approaches. I will then limit myself to one upper and one lower workout per week. As we discussed earlier, I will need to think about nutrition differently as my workouts shift to cardio. Right now I am tweaking my protein intake up slightly. My exercise physiologist said that it is not necessary to go to extremes with protein (as bodybuilders are want to do). He thinks, and rightly so, that it is too hard on the kidneys to ingest too much protein. He really stresses a balanced diet, with an emphasis on whole grains, veg and fruit. He is not big on extra protein shakes either. I usually have one when the weather gets warmer as a treat...kind of like a chocolate milk shake...whithout the guilt!
  • Robin1117
    Options
    Good morning!

Stiring--your bread recipe is wonderful-thanks again! I made it yesterday and love it!

So about rethinking my goals---you know what this is? I made that one mistake of weighing myself a few weeks ago--you and Sing both warned me not to--so now those bad obsessive thoughts come back sporadically. Yes, I'm perfectly healthy. Fine weight. I did realize that one of the reasons why it probably has crept up a bit is because it's winter. We aren't outside playing all day long, and running around. I get my walk with the dog in the morning and my typical hour workout, but that's it. I dusted off the old pedometer this morning and am going to see if I'm getting my 10,000 steps--I would guess I am not--and maybe try to back in line with an "active" lifestyle as opposed to a sedentary one. Of course, that means less time noodling on the computer reading posts :)

take care---enjoy the day!