Why in the world would a guy wear jeans at the gym???

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    There are some guys that play tennis in long pants, even during the summer when it is 100+ degrees. Meh. if that is what they figure works...more power to them.
  • jrose1982
    jrose1982 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The only reason I don't wear jeans to the gym is because every gym I've been too has a rule against it. If not for that, I would've done it all the time.

I wear jeans to work. If I could get off work and go straight to the gym, without having to pack a gym bag or go home and change my clothes first, my gym-based exercise efforts might have been more successful. I don't know how many times I've thought:
    "What am I gonna do tonight? I should go to the gym. But I didn't pack my sweats. So I'll go home first, then to the gym." And end up on the couch at home instead.

I realize working out in jeans is not particularly comfortable, but you do what you can. I've given up on gyms. Now, I just walk. That's something I can do spontaneously without changing my clothes.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    That's why I live in a hole in the ground so I can avoid anyone looking at me and making a harmless observation. Life is scary that way and must be avoided at all costs. I'm a delicate flower, after all.
    Well, being a flower, that's exactly where you should be!

Wait, you just got JUDGED.

Even in your hole, you can't avoid it!

And then there's the worms ....

My precious, precious bubble! Why did you have to burst it?
  • HershFam5
    HershFam5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    You all are so entertaining!!! Thank you for the giggles tonight. Off to the gym in my jeans!!
  • Go_Mizzou99
    Go_Mizzou99 Posts: 2,628 Member
    Options
    I am late to this thread, but I have a friend who is a journeyman/lineman. He has an artificial leg (below the knee). You would never know it by looking at him and his activities, although he does have a swagger when he walks (that fits his personality and fu-manchu). He is tough and very strong. When we would go for a boat ride, swim, whatever, he was always in jeans.

I knew him for over a year before I realized he was missing a leg.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    and this is the reason I don't work out in a gym. If people care this much about some dude wearing jeans, what are you really thinking about the overweight person working out. Geez. Grow up.

That's silly-talk.

98.44% of the people at the gym won't notice you. Of the 1.56% who do, 98.44% of them won't remember anything about you an hour later. Of the 1.56% who do remember, 98.44% of them won't do anything about it. Of the 1.56% who do something about it will just tell someone you don't even know. 98.44% of those who tell someone will drop it at that point. The 1.56% who don't drop it will share their observation online.

Don't stop going to the gym...a place that is arguably the most instrumental in regaining your health...because of the 0.000000092389579776% of people who post about it.

Disclaimer: Every single one of these numbers is a real number. True story. (Statistics sponsored by Proctor & Gamble Ivory Soap.)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    and this is the reason I don't work out in a gym. If people care this much about some dude wearing jeans, what are you really thinking about the overweight person working out. Geez. Grow up.

That's silly-talk.

98.44% of the people at the gym won't notice you. Of the 1.56% who do, 98.44% of them won't remember anything about you an hour later. Of the 1.56% who do remember, 98.44% of them won't do anything about it. Of the 1.56% who do something about it will just tell someone you don't even know. 98.44% of those who tell someone will drop it at that point. The 1.56% who don't drop it will share their observation online.

Don't stop going to the gym...a place that is arguably the most instrumental in regaining your health...because of the 0.000000092389579776% of people who post about it.

Disclaimer: Every single one of these numbers is a real number. True story. (Statistics sponsored by Proctor & Gamble Ivory Soap.)

Those statistic could be upsetting to those who go to the gym to be noticed...I think there are a few of those types.

I have to admit...those who wear tutus to the gym are hard to ignore.

I once saw this guy wearing a tutu down the street...had on pink tights...pink shoes...pink everything...I noticed....made me smile. He certainly didn't care what others thought...I liked his style! True story...sponsored by...ME.
  • CanGirl40
    CanGirl40 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong or judgmental about being curious about the world and wondering why people would do something that seems unusual or a little out of place. By asking the question, one might learn something that allows them to broaden their outlook and consider other points of view they hadn't thought of. It's this attitude that allows some people to become more open, accepting, and understanding and not less so.

Thank you!!!!

While I haven't had the time to read every single reply (to be honest I thought I would only get a few replies and not such a firestorm of hate...!) but ANYWAYS I really do just want to know! I don't think that's being judgemental. Nosy perhaps, but not evil as some of you suggest. And trust me, when at the gym I don't care what I look like. No makeup, hair in ponytail, iPod on and generally zoned out. And I don't think it's an attention thing with him. He doesn't seem to talk to anyone and he means business when he's there. And I really don't think it's an affordability issue.

Well I will continue to read the responses with the hope of some more insight. Thanks to all who responded. But I am honestly shocked at how judgemental some people have been on this thread...
  • suremeansyes
    suremeansyes Posts: 962 Member
    Options
    Today I worked out in the weight area, I was wearing spandex capris and I noticed people noticing my attire. Or maybe since I was doing squats...noticing my butt.

Then I stopped my warmups, added weight and stopped noticing what other people were noticing.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Is it because he's a grown *kitten* man and isn't bothered about what random gym goers think of him, and thus has more self esteem than at least half the people on MFP?
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Today I worked out in the weight area, I was wearing spandex capris and I noticed people noticing my attire. Or maybe since I was doing squats...noticing my butt.

Then I stopped my warmups, added weight and stopped noticing what other people were noticing.

LULZ- so true.

not many wear shorts to my gym (women wise) and apparently I'm now a novelty for doing so. (although- to be fair- the orange ARE highly amazing)
    Fitted capris are pretty standard everywhere- they get a look but it's nothing to really raise and eyebrow at really

yeah- she squats bro... and when she does- she KNOWS you're watching- she just doesn't give a rats pattottie!!!!
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's really dedicated to his gym work but also really forgetful. Forgets gym gear, goes anyway
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    not many wear shorts to my gym (women wise) and apparently I'm now a novelty for doing so. (although- to be fair- the orange ARE highly amazing)
    Fitted capris are pretty standard everywhere- they get a look but it's nothing to really raise and eyebrow at really

yeah- she squats bro... and when she does- she KNOWS you're watching- she just doesn't give a rats pattottie!!!!

I have compression shorts I wear, but I do wear other shorts over them. That's mostly when I do personal training as to not flash my lady bits at people in the gym. I have been wanting to buy some tight shorts to wear but the couple pairs I tried on gave me wicked camel toe and that is definitely NOT a look I'm going for.

I want people to be like "Damn!!" and not "DAAAAMN..."
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Is it because he's a grown *kitten* man and isn't bothered about what random gym goers think of him, and thus has more self esteem than at least half the people on MFP?

tumblr_lr6uiqel0X1r2hybuo1_400.gif
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    I think I may start wearing jeans to the gym now. Just to piss off the onlookers
  • suremeansyes
    Options
    I think I may start wearing jeans to the gym now. Just to piss off the onlookers

With no shirt, right? Because I don't think it would be a big deal then.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Why is the sky blue?
    Why is cheese amazing?
    Why is the grass green?

Who cares...
    Nitrogen.
    Fat.
    Chloroplasts.

I do.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    why does anyone even care? when i'm at the gym, i'm focusing on myself.
    Why do you care whether or not someone else cares?
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    My guess is that he just only likes to wear jeans whenever he possibly can. Some people are like that about stuff.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    Options
    On the weekend, my hubby and I climbed a mountain. On the way down, there was a guy coming up with jeans on.. wtf??

In August 2002 I climbed the highest peak east of the Rockies and west of the Alps in jeans.

I'm not aware of anyone making a thread about it.
    That just means you need to work on your google fu.