Why in the world would a guy wear jeans at the gym???

Options

Replies

• AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Maybe he doesn't have a ton of money to throw around on exercise clothes. Maybe something happened to them, or maybe he just doesn't give a Sh- and neither should you.
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    Op, Just for the record, starting any sentence with ..
    "Why in the world would".... does suggest you think they're doing something pretty strange and would typically be used in a "judgemental" fashion, I would say.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Maybe he's a.... never nude!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRZYn69wT9M78Z0-NvIATZQT6VzZzOvpVQ1Xy2C7uM6nqIyvnMWAw

A of all: This post ^^^ wins.

Number B: I submit a short logical proposition: If you want to know why someone is doing something...ask them. I'm certain it will get you the answer far faster than asking random strangers. It could be that you're worried that asking this question of said person will seem rude, or make you look dumb. If that is the case then consider the nature of your question, and whether or not it's something a civil, sensible person should think about.
  • arielfirby
    arielfirby Posts: 12
    Options
    Meh, on the clothing. As long as they don't wear very strong perfume that it will make me gag (thus affecting my workout), people can wear whatever they want!

I once saw a dude doing weights with NO shoes on!!! He is asking for broken toes and a foot fungus. I can't believe no one on staff said anything to him!
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    today I observed people more closely, partly because of this thread and partly because my mind was wandering away from my playlist, which doesn't usually happen. THere was a buff bald guy, tank top and ripped in grey corduroys with chains to hold his wallet. I hate corduroy- i had to wear it growing up-in husky sizes.. HORRIBLE MATERIAL but he looked comfortable. so oh well.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    I see nothing wrong or judgmental about being curious about the world and wondering why people would do something that seems unusual or a little out of place. By asking the question, one might learn something that allows them to broaden their outlook and consider other points of view they hadn't thought of. It's this attitude that allows some people to become more open, accepting, and understanding and not less so.

Thank you!!!!

While I haven't had the time to read every single reply (to be honest I thought I would only get a few replies and not such a firestorm of hate...!) but ANYWAYS I really do just want to know! I don't think that's being judgemental. Nosy perhaps, but not evil as some of you suggest. And trust me, when at the gym I don't care what I look like. No makeup, hair in ponytail, iPod on and generally zoned out. And I don't think it's an attention thing with him. He doesn't seem to talk to anyone and he means business when he's there. And I really don't think it's an affordability issue.

Well I will continue to read the responses with the hope of some more insight. Thanks to all who responded. But I am honestly shocked at how judgemental some people have been on this thread...
    you do realize you've done a good thing with this thread? it keeping people engaged, logged in and thinking about their goals whether they're *****ing or laughing or anything.
  • pinkshiningstar
    pinkshiningstar Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Some people are just clueless.

But I do give him props for at least showing up at the gym!

Yeah, and I just quoted one of them.

If he's fit, then why don't you watch and learn?

I am very comfortable in jeans and would gladly wear them to the gym if I forgot my workout clothes. He was probably wearing shorts because he remembered his gym bag and/or was working legs that day.

Ouch. Got me there! :wink:

Maybe he did forget his bag. Maybe he didn't. Either way, I personally don't understand why someone would want to work out in clothing that isn't the easiest to move in, doesn't breathe, etc. I'd quickly run home and get the clothing I needed if I forgot. And no, going home isn't convenient for me, but I'd do it anyway.

To each their own. Like I said, I still give the guy props for going.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    why does anyone even care? when i'm at the gym, i'm focusing on myself.
    Why do you care whether or not someone else cares?

Why do you care whether or not someone else cares whether or not someone else cares?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Meh, on the clothing. As long as they don't wear very strong perfume that it will make me gag (thus affecting my workout), people can wear whatever they want!

I once saw a dude doing weights with NO shoes on!!! He is asking for broken toes and a foot fungus. I can't believe no one on staff said anything to him!

Foot fungus??? From what source??? (Especially since everyone else had shoes on.) And given the pro-fungus environment of shoes, shoeless guy is probably *less* likely to have problems with foot fungus.
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options

Foot fungus??? From what source??? (Especially since everyone else had shoes on.) And given the pro-fungus environment of shoes, shoeless guy is probably *less* likely to have problems with foot fungus.

Everyone knows that constant circulation of fresh dry air is one of the perfect breeding grounds for fungus.
  • msbeeblebrox
    msbeeblebrox Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Eh, he's at the gym and working hard. I like wearing jeans to workout in sometimes, but that's just because I love my jeans and I am most comfortable when wearing them.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I lifted in my 'fat me' jeans this morning.

It wasn't squat day so I don't know how that would go yet but reverse lunges and stiff leg deads felt pretty nice.

Perhaps I've found a new lifting outfit and a good reuse for clothes I was soon going to hand off to someone else.

Thanks OP! :flowerforyou:
  • sjohnny
    Options

It wasn't squat day so I don't know how that would go yet but reverse lunges and stiff leg deads felt pretty nice.

Perhaps I've found a new lifting outfit and a good reuse for clothes I was soon going to hand off to someone else.

Thanks, OP and big steaming "Eff you!" to the people who would have gotten your clothes. :grumble:
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Thanks, OP and big steaming "Eff you!" to the people who would have gotten your clothes. :grumble:

Meh, my thick thighs had nearly rubbed the inseam out anyway. The hand me off would have been to my neighbor who makes quilts. She'll still get them, just later rather than sooner.

Do you feel better now? If not, :flowerforyou:
  • sjohnny
    Options

Meh, my thick thighs had nearly rubbed the inseam out anyway. The hand me off would have been to my neighbor who makes quilts. She'll still get them, just later rather than sooner.

Do you feel better now? If not, :flowerforyou:

Hmpf......

Maybe..........

........ a little.
  • ninav1980
    ninav1980 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    There is a super cool old man that works out at my gmy in jeans, poloshirt and boots. He rocks
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    This thread has taught me...never wear my pjs to the gym again.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    There is a super cool old man that works out at my gmy in jeans, poloshirt and boots. He rocks

We old people don't care what you wear to the gym...we don't even care what we wear. We are just glad that we can still show up!

That's what makes us super cool.

:laugh:
  • arielfirby
    arielfirby Posts: 12
    Options
    People sweat on the carpet ya know. Considering carpets don't get washed nearly as much as tile flooring. Dude needed to wear shoes. Especially while lifting weights. Common sense.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Everyone knows that constant circulation of fresh dry air is one of the perfect breeding grounds for fungus.

I'm also confused about broken toes- my vibrams aren't exceptionally protective- so I'm curious as to why they are okay and will protect my toes- but bare feet wont'.

Guy in my gym lifts in flip flops- lots of people take off their shoes and lift in socks.

I use Vibrams- New balance Minimus- and these neoprene socks dealios that I got at TJMaxx for 6 bucks- I love them.