Any child free peeps on MFP?

Options

Replies

• establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    I can't have kids, but I've wanted to adopt ever since I could remember. Does that count ?

Apparently not.

And with good reason.

'Childfree' was a label created for a specific purpose.

Some people do not have children but want them some day.
    Some people do not have children and cannot have them.
    Some people have children that are grown and out of the house.

Childfree = do not have children and do not ever plan to have children.

It's a response to the assumption and expectation that a person who is not a parent is going to someday become a parent. I'm not childless, I'm childfree. I'm not having children, and no I'm not changing my mind despite what you (general you, not YOU) think I ought to be doing with my life.

And yeah, some CF people are hostile and rude towards parents/the idea of parenting. IME, they're a vocal minority. Generally speaking, I think CF people get more s--t than they give.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I can't have kids, but I've wanted to adopt ever since I could remember. Does that count ?

Apparently not.

And with good reason.

It's a response to the assumption and expectation that a person who is not a parent is going to someday become a parent. I'm not childless, I'm childfree. I'm not having children, and no I'm not changing my mind despite what you (general you, not YOU) think I ought to be doing with my life.

And yeah, some CF people are hostile and rude towards parents/the idea of parenting. IME, they're a vocal minority. Generally speaking, I think CF people get more s--t than they give.

sarcasmus.gif
  • eric_sg61
    eric_sg61 Posts: 2,925 Member
    Options

Apparently not.

And with good reason.

Are they rude and hostile toward their own parents?
  • establishingaplace
    establishingaplace Posts: 301 Member
    Options

Apparently not.

And with good reason.

Are they rude and hostile toward their own parents?

Some of them might be? IDK. I'm just going by what I see what I see on some online forums where terms like "crotchfruit" are tossed around. IRL the CF people I know aren't like that. They just like to talk about what vacation they're taking next.
  • BOOMaggedon
    BOOMaggedon Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I just refuse to share my Playstation....

Xbox here but QFT
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    Dammit - I keep reading CF as Crossfit

lol
  • silverraiyne
    silverraiyne Posts: 683 Member
    Options

Hmmm... I consider myself child free, even though I fall into one of your above categories. I'm infertile, the choice to have children the "natural way" was taken away from me. But I made a choice to not resent that, to not let it get me down (too often!), and also the choice to not pursue having children by any other means. I chose not to let my infertility be a defining factor in my life. And I'm OK with that. I didn't want to feel like a victim in life, to be Childless. Instead I decided to take power back and be Child Free by Choice.
  • Tigg_er
    Tigg_er Posts: 22,001 Member
    Options
    Nah, but seriously, if you are awesome enough to be a parent, go have you some babies! But if you don't want kids, don't have any. There are enough sh1tty parents in the world already.

this sums it up perfectly.

:drinker:

:drinker: + a couple
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    I have two boys and adore them. I felt that yearning to have them. But I can certainly understand those being on the other end. Parenting is definitely not for everyone and it probably keeps the population somewhat under control! :laugh:
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    My husband has a daughter, but we do not want more kids - I've always been a child free person and he - well, if he'd had the choice, he would have been child free but a girl he dated when he was 20 said she was on the pill when she wasn't. Don't get me wrong, my step-daughter is an awesome, amazing person and he adores her and wouldn't change a thing, but we are a child free couple. When it comes to kids, I like cats, holidays and sports cars too small for a back seat.
  • staceylynn08
    staceylynn08 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Childfree here...people are surprised by this, but it is a choice I made years ago.
    So, now they call me selfish. At least I thought about the pros and cons and was honest with myself.
  • ernbern00
    ernbern00 Posts: 7
    Options
    I'm new here- why is everyone so angry?
    I have no children (by choice) don't plan on having any children (by means of mirena iud), have 3 lovely dogs and a husband (husband isn't always as lovely.... ;)), and recently found out that I have celiacs disease (so I no longer can eat gluten, so paleo it is)... Who knew I had the perfect trifecta of "trendiness"? I surely didn't... *mind blown*

There is a ying and yang to everything I suppose.. I love not having kids, because I do what I want, when I want. But on the other hand me being in my late 20's and my husband in his 30's everyone we know has a whole fist full (van full) of children.. So we are often the outcasts when it comes to those social circles. ...Basically to each their own. Do what you love, and what makes you happy. Fin.
  • TatyanaPassaretti
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY
    I can't stand kids...
  • TX_Thundercat
    TX_Thundercat Posts: 2,437 Member
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY
    I can't stand kids...

Solid contribution for a 5th post.
  • Maqneta
    Maqneta Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    My dog is my child.
    + I dislike children they're Evil spawn.
  • radiantbaby
    Options
    Yep! My husband and I are happily childfree. :)
  • wordpainter09
    wordpainter09 Posts: 472 Member
    Options

There is a ying and yang to everything I suppose.. I love not having kids, because I do what I want, when I want. But on the other hand me being in my late 20's and my husband in his 30's everyone we know has a whole fist full (van full) of children.. So we are often the outcasts when it comes to those social circles. ...Basically to each their own. Do what you love, and what makes you happy. Fin.

This is the only reason it's hard for us too... we are happy with our decision, but we are also in our late 20s and most of our friends are starting to have kids and aren't free to socialize with us like they used to. I'm feeling a bit down about it lately. No desire to follow in their footsteps, but I do enjoy having friends and social time.
  • girldownsouth
    girldownsouth Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, and have no desire to either, but I didn't know there were groups etc online and people do seem to get very defensive about it. I get a bit annoyed with some of my extended family going on about it, but actually, they seem to have given up now. Weirdly, my group of friends, all late 20s/early 30s are all currently without children too, maybe that's why I've never felt the need to seek it out.

Sometimes I feel bad about my choices when I watch Jeremy Kyle and see the kinds of people who are having loads or kids and I think that I really should have a couple of awesome kids just to help the quality of the next generation ;-)
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I don't have kids, and have no desire to either, but I didn't know there were groups etc online and people do seem to get very defensive about it. I get a bit annoyed with some of my extended family going on about it, but actually, they seem to have given up now. Weirdly, my group of friends, all late 20s/early 30s are all currently without children too, maybe that's why I've never felt the need to seek it out.

Sometimes I feel bad about my choices when I watch Jeremy Kyle and see the kinds of people who are having loads or kids and I think that I really should have a couple of awesome kids just to help the quality of the next generation ;-)

LOL my husband and I joke that we should have kids to raise the average. But we're the same as you, 95% of our friends do not have kids and we aren't part of the 'scene'
  • _Lovely77_
    _Lovely77_ Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    My dog is my child.
    + I dislike children they're Evil spawn.

Coming from someone that was considered a child only a year ago?