Any child free peeps on MFP?

Options

Replies

• kimacduff
    kimacduff Posts: 29
    Options
    No children. I made that choice 36 years ago. I have nephews & nieces. Furkids. 3 cats at the moment- My DH wants a dog. We'll see. they are higher maintenance. But walking is good for you. Dogs are great too. Didn't think I was made to be a Mom.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I also believe an IQ test should be required before you're allowed to reproduce, and families should be capped at two children, sterilized in the hospital after #2 is born.

Also, now that Earth 2 has been discovered...DIBS! I want to go live on the clean slate that hasn't been f@cked up yet!

It's as if Hitler has risen from the grave only to make an MFP post about his wet dream of a super human.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I also believe an IQ test should be required before you're allowed to reproduce, and families should be capped at two children, sterilized in the hospital after #2 is born.

Also, now that Earth 2 has been discovered...DIBS! I want to go live on the clean slate that hasn't been f@cked up yet!

It's as if Hitler has risen from the grave only to make an MFP post about his wet dream of a super human.

QFT, Derpes....Geesh! WTF?
  • Riffraft1960
    Riffraft1960 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options

I did notice the salute in the icon. :wink:
  • TraceyLee1102
    TraceyLee1102 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I am child free and I am okay with that.
    I always wanted children, but when I found out about 9yrs ago that my chances of ever conceiving on my own were about 1 in a billion, I decided to not pursue adoption, egg donation ect. I have fur babies and nieces that I adore and spoil rotten.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Maybe you're allowed to have two in case pharoah decides to murder first borns. :tongue:
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options

I did notice the salute in the icon. :wink:

good catch!
  • mank32
    mank32 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    with impeccable timing, my mother chose last night (after i had posted here) to share with me her feeling that i would make a wonderful parent and the world would be a better place not only for the wonderful child i would undoubtedly rear but also for my having had the experience of parenting. she feels having children is something i ought not miss. i appreciate her perspective, yet i disagree. the time that i do not put into caring for a child i put into caring for my existing friends and family. and i like it like that.

i don't go around turning my nose up at those who choose to reproduce (ok, a little: you have 4 kids? great: how many are adopted/fostered?? oh, you're just making more? :smh:). i know that i am in the minority. i know that reproducing is a basic human drive that is incredibly instinctual and fundamental to the human experience. not wanting to reproduce makes me the weird one. i'm okay with that. i'm weird for a lot of other reasons too, so i'm accustomed to the feeling. i also know that humans tend toward uncharitable judgment on things they don't understand, and weird minority incliniations are generally not well understood. i expect to get flak for not following the status quo, and i'm okay with that. humans are goofy critters.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I planned on being child free by choice, but then it just happened. I was young. But I'm glad I was young because now I'm 36 and almost empty nesting, it's nice to have a house sitter/pet sitter when I go on vacation without having to hire one! lol

I tell him all the time I had him just so I would have a free maid now that he is a teenager. (half joking)

My boyfriend is strictly child free by choice, thinks babies are horrible parasites and the world is far too overpopulated and hopes for a massive catastrophe that leaves a clean slate, just the animals to inherit the planet.

You sound like a horrible parent.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    with impeccable timing, my mother chose last night (after i had posted here) to share with me her feeling that i would make a wonderful parent and the world would be a better place not only for the wonderful child i would undoubtedly rear but also for my having had the experience of parenting. she feels having children is something i ought not miss. i appreciate her perspective, yet i disagree. the time that i do not put into caring for a child i put into caring for my existing friends and family. and i like it like that.

i don't go around turning my nose up at those who choose to reproduce (ok, a little: you have 4 kids? great: how many are adopted/fostered?? oh, you're just making more? :smh:). i know that i am in the minority. i know that reproducing is a basic human drive that is incredibly instinctual and fundamental to the human experience. not wanting to reproduce makes me the weird one. i'm okay with that. i'm weird for a lot of other reasons too, so i'm accustomed to the feeling. i also know that humans tend toward uncharitable judgment on things they don't understand, and weird minority incliniations are generally not well understood. i expect to get flak for not following the status quo, and i'm okay with that. humans are goofy critters.

Are you kidding me? These aren't pets we're talking about here.
  • laynerich15
    laynerich15 Posts: 1,918 Member
    Options
    Yep 33 and still childless
  • mank32
    Options

1 adult + 1 adult = 2 people. you may make 2 people to replace those when they inevitably wear out. need more people in your family? adopt and/or foster. 2 ppl making >2 ppl is selfish when parentless children continue to suffer and the world is running of clean air and water. IMHO.
  • Riffraft1960
    Options

1 adult + 1 adult = 2 people. you may make 2 people to replace those when they inevitably wear out. need more people in your family? adopt and/or foster. 2 ppl making >2 ppl is selfish when parentless children continue to suffer and the world is running of clean air and water. IMHO.

You are operating from a flawed premise, "the world is running out of clean air and water". The air, particularly in the US is quite a bit cleaner than it was in the 70s.
  • mank32
    Options

You are operating from a flawed premise, "the world is running out of clean air and water". The air, particularly in the US is quite a bit cleaner than it was in the 70s.

ok, let's scale it back then and just focus on how unfair it is to make more children when there are children the world over who don't have parents to love and care for them. :flowerforyou:
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    No,pan lids
  • Sinisterly
    Sinisterly Posts: 10,913 Member
    Options
    What?
    Don't have kids.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I planned on being child free by choice, but then it just happened. I was young. But I'm glad I was young because now I'm 36 and almost empty nesting, it's nice to have a house sitter/pet sitter when I go on vacation without having to hire one! lol

I tell him all the time I had him just so I would have a free maid now that he is a teenager. (half joking)

My boyfriend is strictly child free by choice, thinks babies are horrible parasites and the world is far too overpopulated and hopes for a massive catastrophe that leaves a clean slate, just the animals to inherit the planet.

This is horrifying.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    What?
    Don't have kids.

Lol
  • agar62
    agar62 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    QCFBC? (Questioning Child Free by Choice:wink: ). Happily married for five years now (together for 5 before marriage), turning 30 in July, and starting to question whether or not I actually do want children. Really, it's kind of a scary thought for me...being CFBC...just due to expectations and whatnot and coming to terms with my feelings!

Same here. I'm 28, been married for 8 years and decided early on not to have kids, but now that I'm closer to 30, it's a scary thought to never have kids.

I'm child free by choice, not because I never wanted to have children of my own, but because society today seems like such a terrible environment to raise kids in, what with all the mass school shootings, terrorism, etc. going on. Basically, I'm too chicken to have kids because of everything that's going on in the world today. And for that reason, I actively prevent it from happening.
  • Riffraft1960
    Options

ok, let's scale it back then and just focus on how unfair it is to make more children when there are children the world over who don't have parents to love and care for them. :flowerforyou:

The assumption being that those with large family do not adopt, foster, etc. because of having a large family. I can point to a number of families (and yes I know it is anecdotal and not a statistical analysis) who have adopted, fostered, etc.. What I have found is that people who have large families, in general, love humanity (and children in particular) to the point of extending themselves beyond just me and mine. I personally (having 10 kids) have taken in 3 kids through the years. You want fun have 13 kids under roof with over half of them teenagers. It keeps you young. :laugh:

Just so you know I am not offended or upset with you or your opinion, I just like to have to think and be able to both support my opinions as well as seeing the "fallacies" in the position of people whose opinion is different from mine. Keeps me sharp in my old age :wink: