Government should mandate accuracy of MFP database

Options
12346»

Replies

• jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    I live in UK, and most of the food items that I found logged on MFP, are either out of date, or wrong. I have now changed to shopping at Aldi, as I found most items are logged correctly. Morrisons shoppers, are the worst to logg.

I live in the US and have made the same determination of a lot of the US-centric foods too. The accuracy of the MFP database is frightening.

Obviously the free market has failed in this particular instance.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    I live in UK, and most of the food items that I found logged on MFP, are either out of date, or wrong. I have now changed to shopping at Aldi, as I found most items are logged correctly. Morrisons shoppers, are the worst to logg.

I live in the US and have made the same determination of a lot of the US-centric foods too. The accuracy of the MFP database is frightening.

Given enough time and enough monkeys....
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Did Shakespeare count calories?
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

Maybe not, but he was into fat shaming.

"Thou are as fat as butter" ...
  • FireOpalCO
    FireOpalCO Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I don't have time to read the whole thread right now, but I would be willing to pay a yearly fee for MFP in exchange for a better database. Someone needs to zap the bad entries (like the ones with cappuccino misspelled).
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

Maybe not, but he was into fat shaming.

"Thou are as fat as butter" ...

First Chaucer, now Shakespeare? Historical figures were fat shaming d**ks.
  • jasonbaisden
    Options
    I read the first page of comments and decided to reply to this. With that said, I think what the OP might would like a national or world wide registry of products & nutrition facts that companies like MFP could use to ensure accurate nutritional information. This won't happen largely because a great many companies rely on the masses being ignorant about what they're eating and how horrible it is for them. Making such information freely available would be a bad business choice on their part. Not that I care a lick about that.

MFP did what any reasonable company would do in this scenario....they made their own and are letting their users crowd source the data. While it would be superb if we had a guarantee that all data at MFP was 100% accurate, the mere idea of regulation defies the crowd sourcing nature of the site. Users add foods and nutritional facts and other users have the option to yay or nay those details. I find that something that's been confirmed by 5 or more people is generally more reliable than my own memory of a discarded microwaveable's nutrition facts or something my search turned up that has 0 confirmations.

Even more than all of that, MyFitnessPal is a business operating in the United States of America. The government shouldn't have any say at all in how MFP choses to operate it's site, apps, or general day to day operations.

Lastly...since when has government mandates ever helped enforce accuracy? We're talking about a government (in the US at least) that can't even balance it's budget or grasp the concept that you need to make more than you spend to thrive.

I can appreciate the intent, but the solution is wrong.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options

No! He counted 'the ways'!!!

Do you even Shakespear??
  • looseseal
    looseseal Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Government should mandate accuracy of MFP database

The hell it should.

:noway:
  • LoupGarouTFTs
    LoupGarouTFTs Posts: 916 Member
    Options
    The only thing MFP "needs to do" is get better coders... I cannot believe how many bugs are routinely, unapologetically released to production. The current Chief Tech Officer is most likely a rabid monkey with a plastic knock-off of Thor's hammer.

The government could have the same people who worked on Healthcare.gov fix MFP. Think it would help?