Why are MFP's protein recommendations so high?

Options

Replies

• RINat612
    RINat612 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    ...or maybe it's because meat is an excellent source of protein and other vital nutrients??

Notice I didn't say the only source, but an excellent one nonetheless. This feels like the anti-egg movement from the 90's...
  • leericle
    leericle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind if I ever become a woman. I don't lift heavy weights because I don't like lifting heavy weights, I don't have a weight room to go to, and I don't want to do it wrong and injure myself.
    Yes, I read the article. Like most people, I'm not an avid strength-trainer. (Maximum I lift is 5 pounds per hand.) I'm not an endurance athlete. (I walk 3-5 miles at a stretch.) So why should I be treated like one in MFP's recommendations? And by people who look at my food diary, I might add...

You should start lifting heavier weight, don't worry, women don't get bulky by accident!!! You might see a little gain in weight at first and during your time of the month but that's normal!!!
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    What is on your face?
  • Escloflowne
    Escloflowne Posts: 2,038 Member
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind if I ever become a woman. I don't lift heavy weights because I don't like lifting heavy weights, I don't have a weight room to go to, and I don't want to do it wrong and injure myself.
    Yes, I read the article. Like most people, I'm not an avid strength-trainer. (Maximum I lift is 5 pounds per hand.) I'm not an endurance athlete. (I walk 3-5 miles at a stretch.) So why should I be treated like one in MFP's recommendations? And by people who look at my food diary, I might add...

You should start lifting heavier weight, don't worry, women don't get bulky by accident!!! You might see a little gain in weight at first and during your time of the month but that's normal!!!

Totally assumed you were a chick...
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Meat Industry Propaganda is the name of my supah secret bully clique. MIPs in the hizzouse!
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

You must make a lot of trips to carry in your groceries.

And there are other forms of strength and resistance training you could do without a gym. You could work on heavier..much heavier..dumbbells or even body weight exercises that have variations to make it harder as you progress.
  • KeepGoingKylene
    KeepGoingKylene Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I always thought their recommendations were pretty low...

^^this, i had to change my goals to MAKE it higher...:huh:
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    :noway:
  • ksy1969
    ksy1969 Posts: 700 Member
    Options
    Every day, human adults need 0.36 of protein grams per pound of weight.

For me, that's 60 grams of protein per day.

But MFP wants me at 135 grams of protein per day!

If that's happening to everyone else, it explains all the attention on protein bars and protein powders and other so-called boosts that are barely recognizable as food.

Are the MFP formulas victims of meat industry propaganda?

*** Source: http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need-science-weighs-in

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

60g a day??? Do you like being hungry all the time. You want high protein and fat, just not to retain muscle while losing weight but because it is better at satiating your appetite than carbs. I like me some carbs, but I try to keep my Protein above 150g a day strictly because I feel fuller.

I have had a low protein day today because I need to go grocery shopping and can't till Friday, and I can tell. I want to raid the candy machine at work. Normally it doesn't bug me.

Each to their own though :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    vegan-diet-no-meat.gif
  • leericle
    Options
    "The MINIMUM amount of protein for athletes should be at least .55 grams/pound/day." That's for ATHLETES, not office dwellers who work out 6 days a week. And MFP's recommendation, for me at least, is even higher: 0.67 grams/pound/day.

What if you’re an avid strength-trainer? What if an endurance or sport-playing athlete? The daily menu of intense, energy-depleting training components such as lifting, running, and practicing, taxes the skeletal-muscle system way beyond the average sedentary Jane and Joe. Will .36 grams/pound/day of protein be enough for growth and repair? NO!

did you read your own link? :(

when you are eating reduced calories, eating higher protein will prevent some of the normal muscle loss that occurs while dieting.

Do you "have" to do it for health? No. But most people prefer to lose 10lbs of fat instead of 7lbs of fat and 3 lbs of muscle, because it makes their bodies look better at that same weight.

You can stick to the bare minimum if you don't care about that.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Every day, human adults need 0.36 of protein grams per pound of weight.

For me, that's 60 grams of protein per day.

But MFP wants me at 135 grams of protein per day!

If that's happening to everyone else, it explains all the attention on protein bars and protein powders and other so-called boosts that are barely recognizable as food.

Are the MFP formulas victims of meat industry propaganda?

*** Source: http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need-science-weighs-in

MFP sets your protein at 15% unless you change it.

If it suggested 136g a day you must be eating 3600 cals - or is my maths off? :huh:

If you're eating 3600 cals and only want to eat 60g of protein that's only 6.6% of your calorie allowance which seems incredibly low.

What is your aim here?
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    If you are not very athletic or active, why are you eating more than 3500 calories anyway? Regardless.. you could just tweak the goals to fit your needs.
  • miss_jessiejane
    miss_jessiejane Posts: 2,820 Member
    Options
    In for Big Meat

Me too.
  • leericle
    Options
    There's a difference between carrying a bag of groceries a few yards and doing a workout with weights.

Sure, I could lift heavier. I could run faster. I could workout longer. I could eat less. But I'm good with the goals I have right now.

You must make a lot of trips to carry in your groceries.

And there are other forms of strength and resistance training you could do without a gym. You could work on heavier..much heavier..dumbbells or even body weight exercises that have variations to make it harder as you progress.
  • maz504
    maz504 Posts: 450
    Options
    What is on your face?

I died. :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    What is on your face?

This was my first thought. Black paint/makeup on a white guy?

Eff me, gif won't work.
  • TKhamvongsa
    TKhamvongsa Posts: 287
    Options
    ... I don't think it's high and it all just depends on your goal and what you want to achieve. I'm currently consuming 1g per 1lb of my body weight. I have to increase my protein to maintain lean mass as well as to aid muscle growth. This also helps keeps me fuller so much longer and I feel a lot more energetic than when I was on a low carb/fat/high carb diet/1200 calorie diet etc. And when I was on a carby diet.. LOL I love carbs but I just have to reduce my intake for me to reach my goals of lowering body fat/increasing muscle growth.
  • Zaftique
    Zaftique Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    In for Big Meat
    I agree with Big McLargeHuge. In for big, thick meat.