Why are MFP's protein recommendations so high?

Options

Replies

• ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    MFP sets your protein at 15% unless you change it.

If it suggested 136g a day you must be eating 3600 cals - or is my maths off? :huh:

If you're eating 3600 cals and only want to eat 60g of protein that's only 6.6% of your calorie allowance which seems incredibly low.

What is your aim here?

To educate the sheeple.
  • capnrus789
    capnrus789 Posts: 2,731 Member
    Options
    If you're actually working out 6 days a week....I mean, REALLY working out, not just doing a set of 5lb pink dumbell curls in the squat rack and leisurly stroll around the retention pond....you're basically an athlete.
    "The MINIMUM amount of protein for athletes should be at least .55 grams/pound/day." That's for ATHLETES, not office dwellers who work out 6 days a week. And MFP's recommendation, for me at least, is even higher: 0.67 grams/pound/day.

• PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

If it suggested 136g a day you must be eating 3600 cals - or is my maths off? :huh:

If you're eating 3600 cals and only want to eat 60g of protein that's only 6.6% of your calorie allowance which seems incredibly low.

What is your aim here?

I was going to say...

You're going to need to open your diary so we can see what you're dealing with here. Before you criticize something, make sure you're using it properly. User error is a common issue.

Yeah. Definitely want to see the diary. Also, OP, what are your stats (height and current weight)? Are you here to lose, maintain, or gain?
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    No trolling. The meat and diary industries have been influencing government nutrition recommendations for decades:

http://grist.org/food/protein-propaganda-its-whats-for-dinner/

d'oh! you tipped your hand too soon. you have to hold off on the vegan cray-cray until at least page 6. :ohwell:
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    How did you go from this:
    If that's happening to everyone else, it explains all the attention on protein bars and protein powders and other so-called boosts that are barely recognizable as food.

To this?
    Are the MFP formulas victims of meat industry propaganda?
  • leericle
    leericle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    3,500 calories? My daily goal before exercise is 2,240 calories.
    If you are not very athletic or active, why are you eating more than 3500 calories anyway? Regardless.. you could just tweak the goals to fit your needs.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    In for Big Meat
    I agree with Big McLargeHuge. In for big, thick meat.
    :drinker:
  • leericle
    Options
    It's the other way around. Dietary recommendations around protein were initially influenced by the meat industry. But I guess people are looking for protein shortcuts now, and/or don't want slab of meat every day, and go for the powders instead...
    How did you go from this:
    If that's happening to everyone else, it explains all the attention on protein bars and protein powders and other so-called boosts that are barely recognizable as food.

To this?
    Are the MFP formulas victims of meat industry propaganda?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    If you are not very athletic or active, why are you eating more than 3500 calories anyway? Regardless.. you could just tweak the goals to fit your needs.

Then how are you getting 135g of protein? that's not 15% of 2240.
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

If you were on the standard MFP settings you'd be on 84g of protein, as they do 15% of your calorie goal.

Open your diary and let us look...

Edit: Damn it Pika :angry: :laugh:
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    No trolling. The meat and diary industries have been influencing government nutrition recommendations for decades:

http://grist.org/food/protein-propaganda-its-whats-for-dinner/

d'oh! you tipped your hand too soon. you have to hold off on the vegan cra-cra until at least page 6. :ohwell:

You mean the big soy industry?
  • PikaKnight
    Options

If you were on the standard MFP settings you'd be on 84g of protein, as they do 15% of your calorie goal.

Open your diary and let us look...

Edit: Damn it Pika :angry: :laugh:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I always thought their recommendations were pretty low...

Me too
  • leericle
    Options
    Sure, I can share my numbers. I haven't customized anything on MFP. I'm 43 years old, 5'11, starting weight 175, goal weight 165, and tend to wear mud masks. Here are the goals MFP gave me:

2,240 calories
    280 carbs
    75 fat
    112 protein
    2,300 sodium
    84 sugar

What is your aim here?

I was going to say...

You're going to need to open your diary so we can see what you're dealing with here. Before you criticize something, make sure you're using it properly. User error is a common issue.

Yeah. Definitely want to see the diary. Also, OP, what are your stats (height and current weight)? Are you here to lose, maintain, or gain?
  • PikaKnight
    Options
    Sure, I can share my numbers. I haven't customized anything on MFP. I'm 43 years old, 5'11, starting weight 175, goal weight 165, and tend to wear mud masks. Here are the goals MFP gave me:

2,240 calories
    280 carbs
    75 fat
    112 protein
    2,300 sodium
    84 sugar

What is your aim here?

I was going to say...

Could you also make your diary public, please. And did you custom change your macros? Because I even went into MFP and entered your #s and it's giving me 84g of protein.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind if I ever become a woman. I don't lift heavy weights because I don't like lifting heavy weights, I don't have a weight room to go to, and I don't want to do it wrong and injure myself.
    Yes, I read the article. Like most people, I'm not an avid strength-trainer. (Maximum I lift is 5 pounds per hand.) I'm not an endurance athlete. (I walk 3-5 miles at a stretch.) So why should I be treated like one in MFP's recommendations? And by people who look at my food diary, I might add...

You should start lifting heavier weight, don't worry, women don't get bulky by accident!!! You might see a little gain in weight at first and during your time of the month but that's normal!!!

Totally assumed you were a chick...

Hey...even some of us old and weak chicks lift more than 5lbs!
  • Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options

2,240 calories
    280 carbs
    75 fat
    112 protein
    2,300 sodium
    84 sugar

What is your aim here?

I was going to say...

Could you also make your diary public, please. And did you custom change your macros? Because I even went into MFP and entered your #s and it's giving me 84g of protein.

Yeah - that's 20% of his calories goal and is not standard MFP settings.

BUT

If you don't like the amount just change it yourself.

/thread
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options

2,240 calories
    280 carbs
    75 fat
    112 protein
    2,300 sodium
    84 sugar

A good rule of thumb is 1 g protein/kg of body weight, or per lb of lean muscle mass. This assists in retention on lean body tissue while in calorie deficit, and as well, protein is very satiating. I aim for my protein goal first, then my fat. While my calories do increase with exercise, I mentally keep my protein goal the same and eat more carbs and maybe more fats. MFP will just raise everything up as it does everything by percentage of total calories.

Here is a study done on young Chinese adults and protein needs:

Evaluation of the protein requirement in Chinese young adults using the indicator amino acid oxidation technique.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23981551

Their conclusion: recommendations of 0.87 and 0.98 g/(kg•d) of mixed protein are estimated to be reasonable and suitable for Chinese young adults. I think it is safe to assume that this also applies to other races.
  • leericle
    Options
    Apologies to the group. MFP's protein goal for me is 112 grams/day. I initially wrote 135 grams/day. I must've copied the wrong number. Sorry about that. But still, I think that's high given my non-athlete status.