Why are MFP's protein recommendations so high?

Options

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    ...are you in black face?
    i highly suggest changing your photo...
    And eating more protein.

The OP says he likes facial masks. I should post a pic of me in one of my favorites - then I could be accused of being in 'greenface' which would indicate that I was trying to offend to Martians.

Good Lord.
  • leericle
    leericle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm not. It's a mud mask. Gotta do something for the outside of the body too.
    And eating more protein.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    And eating more protein.

This...
    racist1.gif
  • leericle
    Options
    And Kermit the Frog!
    And eating more protein.

The OP says he likes facial masks. I should post a pic of me in one of my favorites - then I could be accused of being in 'greenface' which would indicate that I was trying to offend to Martians.

Good Lord.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    No trolling. The meat and diary industries have been influencing government nutrition recommendations for decades:

http://grist.org/food/protein-propaganda-its-whats-for-dinner/
    Are the MFP formulas victims of meat industry propaganda?

mehx0Qm.gif

You have to be trolling.

The agricultural industry in general has been influencing the USDA for years - not just meat and dairy - grain producers also.

Don't forget about fruits and vegetables! I don't eat green beans (because, you know, Green Giant) and I also avoid pineapple because of evil Dole.
  • leericle
    Options
    The only one I can consistently meet or beat is sodium!
    I had a similar question about MFP's carb recommendation. It's *way* too high and on average, I don't reach it. Is MFP in bed with the Bread Makers of America? Do they have stock in Gluten? (Gluten stock is going way down this summer, I hear...)
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    And Kermit the Frog!
    And eating more protein.

Good Lord.

That's right! Now I'm really scared of Muppets.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    And eating more protein.

Good Lord.

WHY ARE YOU SUCH A PLANETIST???
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Can I ask where the 15% that everyone is quoting is coming from? My macros % breakdown from MFP is 50-30-20 (carbs-fat-protein). I didn't change anything when it was set up -- did I do something wrong?

Hmmm

Do men get more protein on set up?

No, I just double checked, the default for me is now 20% for me too. I have no idea when that changed because the default was 15% for as long as I have been here.

Oh well

20% is much better as I think 15% was far too low.

Agreed.

Then again, I work for Big Meat.

When did you quit working for Big Worm?

tumblr_lpflbdzpUy1qb3bmx.gif
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    The only one I can consistently meet or beat is sodium!
    I had a similar question about MFP's carb recommendation. It's *way* too high and on average, I don't reach it. Is MFP in bed with the Bread Makers of America? Do they have stock in Gluten? (Gluten stock is going way down this summer, I hear...)

You can safely beat the sodium one. That recommendation is based on RDA guidelines which in turn is based on a dialysis patient's recommended sodium intake (in a misguided attempt to keep people from developing HBP).. :noway: RDA guidelines are in sore need up updating.
  • QuietBloom
    Options
    And eating more protein.

Good Lord.

WHY ARE YOU SUCH A PLANETIST???

Because earthlings rule and martians drool.
  • jstout365
    jstout365 Posts: 1,686 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read the article. Like most people, I'm not an avid strength-trainer. (Maximum I lift is 5 pounds per hand.) I'm not an endurance athlete. (I walk 3-5 miles at a stretch.) So why should I be treated like one in MFP's recommendations? And by people who look at my food diary, I might add...
    What if you’re an avid strength-trainer? What if an endurance or sport-playing athlete? The daily menu of intense, energy-depleting training components such as lifting, running, and practicing, taxes the skeletal-muscle system way beyond the average sedentary Jane and Joe. Will .36 grams/pound/day of protein be enough for growth and repair? NO!

did you read your own link? :(

You do realize that you can set your own protein levels in the goals section, right? If you don't think you need a higher level of protein, so be it, but understand that you are a person with the ability to make your own decisions on what you eat. You don't have to follow the recommendations of a computer program if you don't want to.

I like eating meat....in many varieties and I never tire of the stuff. Morning, noon, and night, love to eat the meat. And it has nothing to do with the meat and dairy association and their evil plots.
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    OP. are you on the 80/10/10 train?
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    And eating more protein.

Good Lord.

Only "greenface" hasn't been a practice used throughout history to ridicule and mock a group of people that have been subject to persecution, judgement and stereotypes for years... and black face actually is really offensive... I'm just suggesting that he change is his picture because it can easily be misinterpreted. Like facial masks all you want man- I'm sure they do wonders. I'm just saying it doesn't look right.
  • leericle
    Options
    I changed my profile pic. I wasn't wearing black face anyway. It's a Dead Sea Black Mud Mask, available at fine retailers near you.

http://www.seacretspa.com/Dead-Sea-Black-Mud

And eating more protein.

Good Lord.

Only "greenface" hasn't been a practice used throughout history to ridicule and mock a group of people that have been subject to persecution, judgement and stereotypes for years... and black face actually is really offensive... I'm just suggesting that he change is his picture because it can easily be misinterpreted. Like facial masks all you want man- I'm sure they do wonders. I'm just saying it doesn't look right.
  • leericle
    Options
    What train is that?
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    Either obvious troll or quite delusional. Either way everyone is wasting their time
  • da_bears1008
    da_bears1008 Posts: 354
    Options
    says no one ever...
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    What train is that?

I think it has to do with raw vegan or something where you eat 10% protein 10% fat and 80% carbs