Why are MFP's protein recommendations so high?

Options

Replies

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    I get that I can do that, but I still don't understand why MFP sets them so high to begin with.
    I don't understand why you would want to lower your protein, but if you do, just click home, then goals, the custom and change it there

The answer to this is simple, because of the majority of MFP's population and their needs. It is usually assumed that the majority of people are here for fitness so it sets the numbers to the average needs of the average person who does a moderate amount of exercise and lifts moderate weights. With that said, it can't fit all individual needs be it more or less protein so it offers the ability to customize.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    :smooched:

I see you deleted your response.

Yes...there are a few homophobic people on MFP...but the majority are not.

You don't have to lift...you don't have to eat that much protein.

I struggle to keep mine at the recommended level. I have had to be creative because even while I eat meat I don't eat a lot. Since I rarely eat beef I was eating a lot of chicken and now I cook fish a couple of times a week.

I have added in eggs...Greek yogurt...and some other things to help me. I look for protein added products.

I also struggle with the sodium and trying to keep it at 1500mg...more often than not I am over.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    20% isn't "high" and it's certainly not high BECAUSE YOU SAY SO. What kind of reasoning is that? On that note, I'm going to have a tough time hitting 40% protein today.
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Every day, human adults need 0.36 of protein grams per pound of weight.

For me, that's 60 grams of protein per day.

But MFP wants me at 135 grams of protein per day!

If that's happening to everyone else, it explains all the attention on protein bars and protein powders and other so-called boosts that are barely recognizable as food.

Are the MFP formulas victims of meat industry propaganda?

*** Source: http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need-science-weighs-in

The bolded sentence is your problem. It depends on the person. People who are very active and do a lot of lifting (be it weights or working) need more protein to support their larger muscle mass than a person who sits on their butt all day. You need more protein to support more muscle. It has very little to do with just being "human adults."

Two 250lb people, one with a lot of fat and one body builder would need fairly different amounts of protein in their diet.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options
    OP, just go and change the setting to what you feel you need. Everyone has different goals. I really don't see the need to complain in a forum about something you can change. Unless the actual intent of this post was to b!tch about the government and certain industries you feel are in bed with each other.
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I exceeded my protein a few times this week without protein powders or bars - roasted chicken delicious and filling :ohwell:
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind if I ever become a woman. I don't lift heavy weights because I don't like lifting heavy weights, I don't have a weight room to go to, and I don't want to do it wrong and injure myself.
    Yes, I read the article. Like most people, I'm not an avid strength-trainer. (Maximum I lift is 5 pounds per hand.) I'm not an endurance athlete. (I walk 3-5 miles at a stretch.) So why should I be treated like one in MFP's recommendations? And by people who look at my food diary, I might add...

You should start lifting heavier weight, don't worry, women don't get bulky by accident!!! You might see a little gain in weight at first and during your time of the month but that's normal!!!

loled
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I had to custom-set my protein macro higher because I *thought* I feel (and perform) better with more protein.

Now I'm wondering if I really do feel better, or if I'm just a victim of Big Meat brainwashing.
  • corgarian
    corgarian Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    That was an enjoyable read. Made me feel so much better about my curls (female vegetarian lifts 5x more then you do).

All seriousness, if you dont want that much protein then dont eat it. simple.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    General recommendations are aimed at the average sedentary individual not looking to change weight or fitness levels.

High protein intake whilst dieting helps to prevent extreme LBM loss. High protein intake whilst intentionally gaining weight, combined with resistance training helps to build LBM.

Please don't use propaganda websites as evidence of fact. Scientific, peer reviewed studies on the topic are not too hard to find.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    "The MINIMUM amount of protein for athletes should be at least .55 grams/pound/day." That's for ATHLETES, not office dwellers who work out 6 days a week. And MFP's recommendation, for me at least, is even higher: 0.67 grams/pound/day.

Minimum =/= optimal
  • WakkoW
    WakkoW Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    In for the big meat... :tongue:

:blushing:
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read the article. Like most people, I'm not an avid strength-trainer. (Maximum I lift is 5 pounds per hand.) I'm not an endurance athlete. (I walk 3-5 miles at a stretch.) So why should I be treated like one in MFP's recommendations? And by people who look at my food diary, I might add...

You should start lifting heavier weight, don't worry, women don't get bulky by accident!!! You might see a little gain in weight at first and during your time of the month but that's normal!!!

totally LOL'd
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    LOL@thought of me eating only 60g of protein daily.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    meat industry propaganda
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I get that I can do that, but I still don't understand why MFP sets them so high to begin with.
    I don't understand why you would want to lower your protein, but if you do, just click home, then goals, the custom and change it there

I agree with those who don't think it's high, even in your case, but the obvious reason is because like a lot of things about MFP there's an element of one-size-fits-all. Lots of MFP users are overweight or obese women who get low calorie recommendations, like 1200. (Another issue, of course.) If you have the macros set up as percentages, that means the protein recommendation is going to be, if anything, low for a lot of people.
  • kelly_e_montana
    kelly_e_montana Posts: 1,999 Member
    Options
    No trolling. The meat and diary industries have been influencing government nutrition recommendations for decades:

http://grist.org/food/protein-propaganda-its-whats-for-dinner/

mehx0Qm.gif

You have to be trolling.

Wait. I thought that was the grain and dairy who were doing that?

Anytime the food pyramid is discussed it's all about too many carbs and the grain propoganda. :ohwell:
    Does Big Meat have deeper pockets?

I like Big Meat and I cannot lie.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I'm a vegetarian, and I had to custom-set my protein macro higher because I *thought* I feel (and perform) better with more protein.

Now I'm wondering if I really do feel better, or if I'm just a victim of Big Meat brainwashing.

Big Bean?
  • SnicciFit
    SnicciFit Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Every day, human adults need 0.36 of protein grams per pound of weight.

For me, that's 60 grams of protein per day.

But MFP wants me at 135 grams of protein per day!

If that's happening to everyone else, it explains all the attention on protein bars and protein powders and other so-called boosts that are barely recognizable as food.

*** Source: http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need-science-weighs-in

Do you weigh 350lbs? Or is my math bad...
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    What if you’re an avid strength-trainer? What if an endurance or sport-playing athlete? The daily menu of intense, energy-depleting training components such as lifting, running, and practicing, taxes the skeletal-muscle system way beyond the average sedentary Jane and Joe. Will .36 grams/pound/day of protein be enough for growth and repair? NO!

did you read your own link? :(

Why??? :cry: