Why are MFP's protein recommendations so high?

Options
12345679»

Replies

• FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    LOL@thought of me eating only 60g of protein daily.

:blushing: It takes good planning for me to make sure I hit 60 g of protein a day. The days I make it over 80 I am so proud of myself :smokin:

:embarassed:
  • martyqueen52
    martyqueen52 Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    All one needs, who is a NATURAL body-builder or NATURAL looking to add muscle or tone is 1.0 - 0.8g of protein per LB of body-weight.

Myself...... 180lbs. so I take in at LEAST 140g per day and have made gains.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ...are you in black face?
    i highly suggest changing your photo...
    And eating more protein.

The OP says he likes facial masks. I should post a pic of me in one of my favorites - then I could be accused of being in 'greenface' which would indicate that I was trying to offend to Martians.

Good Lord.

Only "greenface" hasn't been a practice used throughout history to ridicule and mock a group of people that have been subject to persecution, judgement and stereotypes for years... and black face actually is really offensive... I'm just suggesting that he change is his picture because it can easily be misinterpreted. Like facial masks all you want man- I'm sure they do wonders. I'm just saying it doesn't look right.

is this about to become one of those threads where white people tell other white people what's offensive to black people? SWEET!! I lurve those! Bonus points for this one being about how white people can't moisturize without offending someone.

IN!! I'm so IN

OrRoY80.gif

All I can say is, she seems to lack the courage of her conviction. Too bad, because I like that particular subject as well.

Yes, this became a good laugh at home last night, then turned into my Facebook status this morning. :laugh:
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Every day, human adults need 0.36 of protein grams per pound of weight.

For me, that's 60 grams of protein per day.

But MFP wants me at 135 grams of protein per day!

If that's happening to everyone else, it explains all the attention on protein bars and protein powders and other so-called boosts that are barely recognizable as food.

Are the MFP formulas victims of meat industry propaganda?

*** Source: http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need-science-weighs-in

how much do you need to be "healthy" is not how much do you need to acheive optimal body composition.

When someone can show me ONE person with a great muscular physique at .4g protein per lb LBM, then I might listen to the argument.

Would be interesting if someone with a great muscular physique would change to a .4g/lb LBM diet for a few months and document their results. I'm curious if while I am certain that it is too low to make progress, I wonder if it's enough to maintain it.

on a calorie surplus or at maintenance? probably. i suspect (but have no proof) that meeting the 1g/lb of LBM protein goal is more important for minimizing muscle loss on a deficit or assisting muscle growth on a surplus, than minimizing muscle loss when your body is not actively trying to catabolize your muscle to meet its energy needs.

i wonder if anyone has ever done a study on muscle atrophy for those who are immobiled for medical reasons at various protein intake levels.

I was thinking of at maintenance, but either would be an interesting study (IMHO). Your point about muscle atrophy for those immobilized would be a likely impetus for this kind of research actually happening (or having already happened), but I'm personally more interested in the impact on trained/continuing to train individuals. Lots of interesting potential here.
  • dopeysmelly
    dopeysmelly Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Apart from all the snarky comments, this is an interesting subject.

My understanding is that protein requirements are not well understood in general. According to Harvard's School of Public Health (which seems pretty sensible and refers to studies a lot), "there’s relatively little solid information on the ideal amount of protein in the diet or the healthiest target for calories contributed by protein." At the same page (sorry no time to figure out links), "The Institute of Medicine also sets a wide range for acceptable protein intake—anywhere from 10 to 35 percent of calories each day." So, really, we're all pretty much making (kinda) educated guesses, right?

I have also read that one (maybe more?) study found that those on a calorie-restricted weight loss plan lost significantly more fat than lean mass when protein intake was increased to double the RDA protein, than those who consumed 1x the RDA or 3x the RDA.

For myself, I want to lose blubber more than muscle, so I custom calculated my protein to 1g/lb lean body mass (using the standard military body fat calculator you can find online), then calculated the % to input into the MFP custom thingy by

(1g x 4 (number of calories in a g of protein) x lean body mass) all divided by total number of target calories
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Apart from all the snarky comments, this is an interesting subject.

I think the snarky comments are the only reason that this thread has been interesting.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    So, really, we're all pretty much making (kinda) educated guesses, right?

Well some of us are. OP is not. OP is having a whine because science doesn't line up with his borked logic.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read the article. Like most people, I'm not an avid strength-trainer. (Maximum I lift is 5 pounds per hand.) I'm not an endurance athlete. (I walk 3-5 miles at a stretch.) So why should I be treated like one in MFP's recommendations? And by people who look at my food diary, I might add...
    What if you’re an avid strength-trainer? What if an endurance or sport-playing athlete? The daily menu of intense, energy-depleting training components such as lifting, running, and practicing, taxes the skeletal-muscle system way beyond the average sedentary Jane and Joe. Will .36 grams/pound/day of protein be enough for growth and repair? NO!

did you read your own link? :(

Why??? :cry:

Can't speak for OP - but it's so I can properly aim into the urinal. :devil:
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Well that was an interesting revival...
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    leericle wrote: »
    Every day, human adults need 0.36 of protein grams per pound of weight.

For me, that's 60 grams of protein per day.

But MFP wants me at 135 grams of protein per day!

If that's happening to everyone else, it explains all the attention on protein bars and protein powders and other so-called boosts that are barely recognizable as food.

Are the MFP formulas victims of meat industry propaganda?

*** Source: http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need-science-weighs-in

I had 377.6 grams of protein yesterday, yet I don't weigh 1048 pounds.

If you don't find MFP's defaults suitable, they're pretty easy to change.
  • hamlet1222
    hamlet1222 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Not being a big meat eater I too struggle hitting the protein target and depend on whey shakes to get there.

Before I started tracking my macros I only tracked calories, and mistakenly thought I was getting enough protein from cereals and dairy (which are the biggest single constituent of my diet).

Once I started tracking I realized I was only getting about 60-70 grams a day, and needed to double that - which is when I started buying protein powders.

Having said that, I've not noticed any major difference in fat loss or muscle gain since I've doubled the protein. I think I've built a bit more muscle, but that could also be because I switched to a 5x5 weights routine from 3x10 at the same time as starting the protein (lesson 1. only ever change ONE thing at a time), I've also started taking creatine - muddying the waters even further.

When I was 60-70 g/day I was still able to build muscle in a calorie surplus, and lose weight in a deficit. Not optimum I'm sure, but still enough to be worth training and calorie counting.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    These points notwithstanding, there is ample evidence the optimal level of protein intake is greater than the RDA. A variety of studies have shown levels of protein intake above the RDA benefiting muscle mass, strength, bone health, maintenance of energy balance, cardiovascular function, and wound healing. Close examination of these and related research studies should enable a reasonable estimation of the optimal level of protein intake in a variety of circumstances.
    What if you’re an avid strength-trainer? What if an endurance or sport-playing athlete? The daily menu of intense, energy-depleting training components such as lifting, running, and practicing, taxes the skeletal-muscle system way beyond the average sedentary Jane and Joe. Will .36 grams/pound/day of protein be enough for growth and repair? NO!

did you read your own link? :(

• kaypee65
    kaypee65 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I suppose it all lies in which research you choose to believe. For every study there is an equal and opposite study.

Personally, I like Dr. Andrew Weil's food pyramid. Like most diets, the research is more data collection and emperical as opposed to controlled double blind studies. But the logic appeals to me and I'm doing quite well on it having loast 12 pounds in 8 weeks without feeling hungry. I'm averaging 0.4 g of protein per pound of body weight. (I'm tracking on Lose It! because of a wellness contest at work even though I far prefer MFP as my interface.)

Dr Weil's pyramid is the Mediterranean diet blended with a Japanese diet. I find it very easy to follow. Especially since I'm Alaskan and always have plenty of salmon. http://www.drweil.com/drw/ecs/pyramid/press-foodpyramid.html

So, your body, your choice. :-)
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    In for Big Meat

cooking-steak.gif

I approve of this necro.