Why are MFP's protein recommendations so high?

Options

Replies

• perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    Because many of them lift weights (like me for example) and 1 gram of protein per pound of body weight is a good thing, especially if you are eating at a deficit and want to keep your muscle.

Also, age matters, there is not one protein number for everybody. Young people under 20 and people over 50 need more protein. There are studies that show even seniors who don't exercise should have 90 grams a day.

If you don't like it, go to your goals, click Custom and change it...no need to even have this topic.
  • redtreediary
    redtreediary Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Where can one find a sign that says, "will work for big meat?"
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    Can I ask where the 15% that everyone is quoting is coming from? My macros % breakdown from MFP is 50-30-20 (carbs-fat-protein). I didn't change anything when it was set up -- did I do something wrong?

Hmmm

Do men get more protein on set up?

No, I just double checked, the default for me is now 20% for me too. I have no idea when that changed because the default was 15% for as long as I have been here.

My apologies. I didn't realize they'd change it.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Yes, I read the article. Like most people, I'm not an avid strength-trainer. (Maximum I lift is 5 pounds per hand.)

My purse probably weighs more than 5 lbs. I'd hardly call it lifting.
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    ...are you in black face?
    i highly suggest changing your photo...
    And eating more protein.

The OP says he likes facial masks. I should post a pic of me in one of my favorites - then I could be accused of being in 'greenface' which would indicate that I was trying to offend to Martians.

Good Lord.

Only "greenface" hasn't been a practice used throughout history to ridicule and mock a group of people that have been subject to persecution, judgement and stereotypes for years... and black face actually is really offensive... I'm just suggesting that he change is his picture because it can easily be misinterpreted. Like facial masks all you want man- I'm sure they do wonders. I'm just saying it doesn't look right.

is this about to become one of those threads where white people tell other white people what's offensive to black people? SWEET!! I lurve those! Bonus points for this one being about how white people can't moisturize without offending someone.

IN!! I'm so IN

OrRoY80.gif

All I can say is, she seems to lack the courage of her conviction. Too bad, because I like that particular subject as well.
  • VoodooSyxx
    VoodooSyxx Posts: 297
    Options
    Where can one find a sign that says, "will work for big meat?"

No sign needed. How YOU doin?
  • NextPage
    NextPage Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I really don't get why protein recommendations are linked to a meat industry conspiracy. Getting the recommended protein can be easily done with non-meat options like greek yogurt and if people decide to eat protein bars it is just a personal choice not "I have to do this because I am forced to by MFP or the meat industry".

Also there is nothing wrong with not lifting heavy weights or eating less protein than others but it is a bit insulting to suggest that those that do so must be fooled by propaganda. For me, upping my protein (not high calorie choices)and eating some with each meal/snack has kept my energy up for work outs and kept me from being hungry. I also haven't hurt myself lifting heavier than 5 lbs weight and I'm just a middle aged women trying to make sure I still look decent in sleeveless tank tops. I certainly don't expect the OP to share this goal (LOL) but it takes 15-20 lb curls and hundreds of dips at a minimum. No spotter ever required and nobody gets hurt! Again, we don't need to share other people's goals but don't fault them for taken the best and most efficient route to what they define as success or their body thrives on.
  • caesar164
    caesar164 Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Have you had blood work done with your doctor?... It seems that you may have very low testosterone levels....
  • redtreediary
    Options
    I really don't get why protein recommendations are linked to a meat industry conspiracy. Getting the recommended protein can be easily done with non-meat options like greek yogurt and if people decide to eat protein bars it is just a personal choice not "I have to do this because I am forced to by MFP or the meat industry".

Because this is the internet.

Last week it was "MFP drives people to convenience foods! Big Nabisco!" because it takes more steps to put something into the recipe tool, than to just add a party sized bag of Cheetohs.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Great.

Now I want Cheetos.
  • redtreediary
    Options
    You're welcome.
  • caesar164
    Options
    Great.

Now I want Cheetos.

Crunchy or puffed?
  • trojan_bb
    trojan_bb Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    Every day, human adults need 0.36 of protein grams per pound of weight.

For me, that's 60 grams of protein per day.

But MFP wants me at 135 grams of protein per day!

If that's happening to everyone else, it explains all the attention on protein bars and protein powders and other so-called boosts that are barely recognizable as food.

Are the MFP formulas victims of meat industry propaganda?

*** Source: http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need-science-weighs-in

how much do you need to be "healthy" is not how much do you need to acheive optimal body composition.

When someone can show me ONE person with a great muscular physique at .4g protein per lb LBM, then I might listen to the argument.
  • caesar164
    Options

If that's happening to everyone else, it explains all the attention on protein bars and protein powders and other so-called boosts that are barely recognizable as food.

*** Source: http://breakingmuscle.com/nutrition/how-much-protein-do-you-need-science-weighs-in

how much do you need to be "healthy" is not how much do you need to acheive optimal body composition.

When someone can show me ONE person with a great muscular physique at .4g protein per lb LBM, then I might listen to the argument.

Not one person! Those levels would maintain a scrawny body! 1 gram per pound of lbm for a muscular physique...
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

Would be interesting if someone with a great muscular physique would change to a .4g/lb LBM diet for a few months and document their results. I'm curious if while I am certain that it is too low to make progress, I wonder if it's enough to maintain it.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options

Would be interesting if someone with a great muscular physique would change to a .4g/lb LBM diet for a few months and document their results. I'm curious if while I am certain that it is too low to make progress, I wonder if it's enough to maintain it.

on a calorie surplus or at maintenance? probably. i suspect (but have no proof) that meeting the 1g/lb of LBM protein goal is more important for minimizing muscle loss on a deficit or assisting muscle growth on a surplus, than minimizing muscle loss when your body is not actively trying to catabolize your muscle to meet its energy needs.

i wonder if anyone has ever done a study on muscle atrophy for those who are immobiled for medical reasons at various protein intake levels.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    In for Big Meat

Always.

I could go for a nice pork loin.

In for loins and porking...
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    Off the original topic, but weight training has more benefits than just physique ones. It improves bone density as we age and helps preserve quality of life as you'll be strong in your old age as well. Muscle loss with age is common, and after a certain point, it can be very difficult to add it back on, even for men, and can lead to a degradation in quality of life. I highly recommend working in some type of resistance training beyond just 5 lb weights if you're at all concerned about being fit and healthy long-term.

You don't even have to join a gym. There are a lot of home bodyweight programs available that will do the job for general health just fine.

As for the protein goals, I agree that they are low. If you are a vegan, you can still get quite a bit of protein in your diet with things like beans, nuts, non-dairy milk or butter, etc. As others have pointed out, protein intake is helpful in preserving lean mass during weight loss, but will also help you retain muscle during maintenance (especially if you start a real resistance training program).
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Very thoughtful response Liz. Nicely put.

Every person has their own goals and while this person may not be doing what we would consider to be the best option for health and well being, he is clearly not obese and leads at least a moderately active lifestyle and shouldn't be belittled for not strength training.

Do I personally think you should? Yes. I think every person, man or woman, should do some for of regular resistance exercise. It's not our decision to make though.

As for protein intake, I'll continue to give my recommendation of .8 - 1g per lb (as per the current scientific evidence) for active people.
  • VBnotbitter
    VBnotbitter Posts: 820 Member
    Options

on a calorie surplus or at maintenance? probably. i suspect (but have no proof) that meeting the 1g/lb of LBM protein goal is more important for minimizing muscle loss on a deficit or assisting muscle growth on a surplus, than minimizing muscle loss when your body is not actively trying to catabolize your muscle to meet its energy needs.

i wonder if anyone has ever done a study on muscle atrophy for those who are immobiled for medical reasons at various protein intake levels.

Quite a few about protein break down and skeletal muscular atrophy following prolonged bed rest in critical care patients but cant find any about protein intake. Too many variables in the sample groups in any case due to rhabdo, DKA etc