Why are MFP's protein recommendations so high?

Options

Replies

• Iron_Feline
    Iron_Feline Posts: 10,750 Member
    Options
    Apologies to the group. MFP's protein goal for me is 112 grams/day. I initially wrote 135 grams/day. I must've copied the wrong number. Sorry about that. But still, I think that's high given my non-athlete status.

That's only 20% of your calorie goal

20%

that is not high at all.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    Apologies to the group. MFP's protein goal for me is 112 grams/day. I initially wrote 135 grams/day. I must've copied the wrong number. Sorry about that. But still, I think that's high given my non-athlete status.

If you think it's high, don't eat that many.

Also, what's on your face?
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options

No. You custom changed your macros. The 112g is not 15% of your intake.

As Brett said..I think there is some user error going on...and maybe open your diary while your at it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Every day, human adults need 0.36 of protein grams per pound of weight.

LOL....maybe if you're completely sedentary that is enough protein, but I can assure you anyone actively involved in even marginally rigorous fitness activity is going to need more. It is also adivsable to eat more protein while dieting in order to help preserve what muscle mass you have.

also, you can customize your macro settings to whatever works best for you.
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    What is on your face?

This was my first thought. Black paint/makeup on a white guy?

Eff me, gif won't work.
    One of those facial masks?
  • leericle
    leericle Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I don't even know how to change them. I wouldn't even know what to change them to. It's awfully hard to prove that I *didn't* do something, though.

As Brett said..I think there is some user error going on...and maybe open your diary while your at it.
  • Nedra19455
    Nedra19455 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Can I ask where the 15% that everyone is quoting is coming from? My macros % breakdown from MFP is 50-30-20 (carbs-fat-protein). I didn't change anything when it was set up -- did I do something wrong?
  • Iron_Feline
    Options
    Can I ask where the 15% that everyone is quoting is coming from? My macros % breakdown from MFP is 50-30-20 (carbs-fat-protein). I didn't change anything when it was set up -- did I do something wrong?

Hmmm

Do men get more protein on set up?
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options

No...you didn't do anything wrong. That is the same thing that they gave me...protein 20%.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

If you set your lifestyle to active while creating your account, you are given higher calories and subsequently higher protein (since a more active person needs more protein)

It would be more accurate if you set yourself as sedentary and log your exercises manually which would vary your daily intake of protein and calories according to your physical activity that day. Setting yourself as moderate or highly active when you are not may give you a false daily expenditure and would cause inaccuracies that may lead to slowed down or halted weight loss.

If at the new setting you still feel your protein intake is too high for your liking, you could set it to 10 -12%
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    ...are you in black face?
    i highly suggest changing your photo...
    And eating more protein.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I don't even know how to change them. I wouldn't even know what to change them to. It's awfully hard to prove that I *didn't* do something, though.

I would say that 112g of protein sounds about right. My calories are set at 1730 and MFP calculates that to be 87g of protein.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options

Go to My Home>Goals then click "change goals". You may then go with "guided" to change your activity level, or with "custom" to just change your protein %
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Hmmm

No, I just double checked, the default for me is now 20% for me too. I have no idea when that changed because the default was 15% for as long as I have been here.
  • Iron_Feline
    Options

Hmmm

No, I just double checked, the default for me is now 20% for me too. I have no idea when that changed because the default was 15% for as long as I have been here.

Oh well

20% is much better as I think 15% was far too low.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This is a fitness site. Not a weight loss site. Fitness requires exercise. Exercise requires more protein than the RDA minimum.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

Hmmm

Oh well

20% is much better as I think 15% was far too low.

Agreed.

Then again, I work for Big Meat.
  • _101010_
    _101010_ Posts: 121
    Options
    I'll keep that in mind if I ever become a woman. I don't lift heavy weights because I don't like lifting heavy weights, I don't have a weight room to go to, and I don't want to do it wrong and injure myself.
    Yes, I read the article. Like most people, I'm not an avid strength-trainer. (Maximum I lift is 5 pounds per hand.) I'm not an endurance athlete. (I walk 3-5 miles at a stretch.) So why should I be treated like one in MFP's recommendations? And by people who look at my food diary, I might add...

You should start lifting heavier weight, don't worry, women don't get bulky by accident!!! You might see a little gain in weight at first and during your time of the month but that's normal!!!

Totally assumed you were a chick...

Hey...even some of us old and weak chicks lift more than 5lbs!

Yeah, I can totally press 15lbs! ;-)
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I had a similar question about MFP's carb recommendation. It's *way* too high and on average, I don't reach it. Is MFP in bed with the Bread Makers of America? Do they have stock in Gluten? (Gluten stock is going way down this summer, I hear...)
  • MamaBearCPA
    MamaBearCPA Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    No trolling. The meat and diary industries have been influencing government nutrition recommendations for decades:

http://grist.org/food/protein-propaganda-its-whats-for-dinner/
    Are the MFP formulas victims of meat industry propaganda?

mehx0Qm.gif

You have to be trolling.

The agricultural industry in general has been influencing the USDA for years - not just meat and dairy - grain producers also.