DO YOU EAT WHAT YOU WANT EVERY DAY?

Options
When people think of dieting they think of no sweets, no sugar, and no treats. But, I think you should be able to eat what you enjoy everyday (in moderation of course). Do you agree? Can you still lose weight this way as long as you stay at your calorie goal? What things are you eating everyday as a treat? Or something you incorporate into your diet that may not be "healthy"?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and have a treat of chocolate everyday...

IIFYM
  • LTKeegan
    LTKeegan Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    This is a thing people refer to as IIFYM or if it fits your macros. You can eat whatever you want to and stay under your calorie goal (and macros) and in theory, you'll lose weight*.

* If you don't get enough protein, some of that weight is muscles

* If you get too much salt you'll hold on to water and not see the scale move as fast

* If you eat 1500 calories of cookies you'll be much less full (ie WAYYYY starving) than if you ate 1500 calories of "healthy" foods.

HOWEVER!! Personally, If I eat a lot of sugar, I crave more sugar and it starts to get out of hand, so I try to limit my treats.
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    yes.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,154 Member
    Options
    Heck no, because I don't want a little bit, once I get started, I want all the chocolate.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    Yes, I eat what I want that fits within my macros. I like to try to get my protein out of the way early in the day. I just don't like most sources of protein, so I'd rather get it done and over with. Then at night, when I'm sitting with my family watching TV, I have all this room for the carby fat-filled goodness that I love. :love:
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    I eat everything I want everyday within my calorie goal.
    That being said, I don't eat fried foods.
    I eat lots of veggies cause I love em!
    I eat poultry, fish and beef on occasion.
    I eat chocolate quite frequently.
    I have reached my weight goal + or - a couple of pounds.
    I love MFP cause I CAN eat whatever I love and still lose by cutting some calories!
  • tdotgirl
    tdotgirl Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want as long as I stay within my calories for the day. Seems to of worked for me
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want and have a treat of chocolate everyday...

IIFYM

^This!

Yesterday it was peanut butter. Today it might be chocolate. And, much of the time, it's wine. :drinker:
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    I don't diet. I track my food, plan things out. I make sure to eat at least 5 fruits/veggies each day, get enough protein. The rest varies. I've had a 200 calorie Klondike bar ice cream snack each of the last 3 days. (Will have another today - was on sale and there were 4 in the box.)

I eat between 1400-1600 calories most days. I don't eat for entertainment or emotional support, but I do enjoy certain foods and I see nothing wrong with that. There are some things however that do not fit well into my reduced calorie plan. Such as hot wings. Hot wings for dinner can easily be 800-1000 calories and I'm not good at skimping on food for most of the day to save up for a huge meal. Or alcohol - a few drinks can range from 200-1000 calories depending on the situation. So every now and then, perhaps 2-3 times per month, I aim to eat at 'maintenance level' which for me means 1900-2000 calories. And room for those things that don't otherwise 'fit'. And if I have a very active day, I consume more overall as a result.

I do make different choices when I have fast food. Such I tend to have a salad w/ blackened grilled chicken at Zaxby's, instead of fries & chicken fingers. But I've also discovered this salad is AWESOME. And if I want the fries/chicken fingers - I'll just have a little bit. I'm less likely to order desert at restaurants, but there are many things I can buy and/or make for sweets on my own. I just prefer to have more control over it.
  • indianarunner76
    indianarunner76 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Yes. Pasta, Reese puffs cereal, pepsi if I want.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    YES.

(why are we yelling)
  • PolacaFL
    PolacaFL Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Yes.
  • belgerian
    belgerian Posts: 1,059 Member
    Options
    Myself I have to be careful becouse If I start eating certain foods I find myself eating the whole bag or container so no I do not or else I would be eating a gallon of ice cream, and a package of oreo cookies just to start.
  • Linda8989
    Linda8989 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    There is nothing that is forbidden in my plan. The key is to know what a serving is, and I need to stop at that point. That's the challenge : )
  • logg1e
    logg1e Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    God no. Left to my own devices I would eat takeaway for tea every night and graze on a pack of biscuits all afternoon. I'd have sugary cereal for breakfast and not bother with any dinner.

However, I do try to save 100 calories for chocolate every day and I've not eaten 1 bite of something I didn't actually want to eat since I started in March.
  • karinajean2388
    karinajean2388 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Yes. I plan ahead and fit what I want into my calorie goal. If I want more, I move more.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I had cookies for breakfast.
  • Jim_G10
    Jim_G10 Posts: 132
    Options
    Oh yes....
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    God no. Left to my own devices I would eat takeaway for tea every night and graze on a pack of biscuits all afternoon. I'd have sugary cereal for breakfast and not bother with any dinner.

However, I do try to save 100 calories for chocolate every day and I've not eaten 1 bite of something I didn't actually want to eat since I started in March.

A lot of us would actually.

but we recognize that we need to control those impulses for weight loss and health...
  • gert1985
    gert1985 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    No.
    I would eat Doritos and drink Mt Dew All.Day.Long.
    That's why I am where I am today.