DO YOU EAT WHAT YOU WANT EVERY DAY?

Options

Replies

• elbaldwin0525
    elbaldwin0525 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    well said.
    Convoluted overall. See I want to answer 'yes', then you know it will be followed by a 'but' which logically means 'no'. So the answer is 'no' and I will it follow it with something more logical 'because:

1- when you eat what you want you will diminish your ability to self control
    2- eating what you want puts significant strain on your attempts to reach your goals
    3- macros matter - if not for weight loss but for overall well being
    4- you need consistency and moderation in your approach to fitness. it is the only way I know off to maintain your results on the long run.
    5- when you want a little of something you like, realistically it won't be long before you will want more of that something, but that can be controlled (which takes us back to '1').

But the key is the long run - so you need to find the happy medium which allows you the satisfaction of enjoying your fav food whatever that is, and helps you stick to your goal and keep it going. Heck, I LOVE all types of stuff that are bad for me, I am a massive foodie and I spend my weekends at street food festivals sampling everything I can. But I allow myself that and I also treat myself to something sweet every day after dinner. Life is all about the long run. Enjoy the ride.
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    I try to fit in an oreo or two, and some ice cream! Peanut butter is an everyday thing (it fits into my macros, and it's healthy all-natural! Sometimes Nutella, or reeses will make an appearance too!

Brownie with 2 Oreos & Peanut Butter In The Center

64830_10152730165045230_1913703337_n.jpg

Do I want to eat these every day? YES!!

Do I? ... no :frown:

BEETUS!!!
  • tmaryam
    tmaryam Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Eating what I want is how I got here. Even in moderation, very small portions of the food I like will put me WAAAY over my maintenance calories. The problem with being thin and overfat, the less you weigh, the less you burn. Most of you who eat what you want can probably eat more than I can without gaining. I gain weight when I go over 1600 cal/day, so that really limits my options. I can't fill it with high calorie foods because I'll be starving. I'd rather have 3 lower calorie meals plus 2-3 snacks than two heavy, calorie-dense meals per day. My meal plan is doable, but no, I don't get to eat the things I REALLY want (daily) unless I want to gain weight.
  • sati18
    sati18 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I try to keep alcohol for the weekends, but thats mainly because i think it's good for my liver to have a 4 day break every week :P I eat pretty much whatever i want though as long as it fits in my calorie limit
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    Yup.
  • VenusinScorpio
    Options
    No. I eat as clean as possible. If I open the door to chips, fries, cake, ice cream and pizza, they tend to want to move in with me. I keep the bad stuff out of my house and my stomach, unless I'm having a cheat meal. (I get one once each week).
    For me, part of taking back my life and breaking my emotional dependency on food has had much to do with making friends with veggies, lowfat salad dressings and sugar substitutes. Having been a dieter for so many years, I struggled with eating a daily calorie regimen filled with "whatever I wanted". It was a tough diet to stick to because the simple carbs made me want more simple carbs. Although I stuck to it, I wasn't satisfied. . .I always wanted more, more, more!
    Eliminating pasta, sugar, high fats, is where it's at for me. I feel good! No bloating, cravings are rare and no carb coma. I eat 1200-1300 calories per day and workout 5 times per week with an average weightloss of 2 lbs per week. I know I'd not see this success if I ate whatever I wanted, within my caloric allowance. (Not saying it won't work for you, just saying, it doesn't work for me.)
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    After thinking about this long and hard, I have to change my answer. Yes, I eat what I want every day. It's just that I don't want to eat a tiny little sliver of something delicious and then not be able to have more for the rest of the day without going over on calories, so most of the time, I don't want to bother with it at all. But I'm still eating exactly what I want.
  • JulsiePie
    JulsiePie Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Yup!!!! But because I eat everything I want, I have literally forced myself to have willpower with my portions. I tell myself that nothing is off forbidden, but it has to fit into my day.
  • cparter
    cparter Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    This is a thing people refer to as IIFYM or if it fits your macros. You can eat whatever you want to and stay under your calorie goal (and macros) and in theory, you'll lose weight*.

* If you don't get enough protein, some of that weight is muscles

* If you get too much salt you'll hold on to water and not see the scale move as fast

* If you eat 1500 calories of cookies you'll be much less full (ie WAYYYY starving) than if you ate 1500 calories of "healthy" foods.

HOWEVER!! Personally, If I eat a lot of sugar, I crave more sugar and it starts to get out of hand, so I try to limit my treats.
    Well said but of course the junk food - I will eat what I want addicts will slam you for making sense. I enjoy what I eat and when I want to treat myself I treat myself. I decided to make a lifestyle change and macros are not a key to my change if they are full of junk. Preach that crap often enough and you will start believing yourself (I can eat all the fried food I want as long as it stays in my macros, yada yada). You can still eat less desirable choices but making them the norm does you no good.

I eat my M&Ms but it may be once a week or once every two weeks but not everyday. The main thing is people are going to eat what they want to and should. After all, you live by your own choices.
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Tonight i'm having pizza, garlic bread, Reece's Nutrageous and Reece's Pieces. It fits within my goals and i dont expect a massive weight gain. All about the portion control...
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I try to fit in an oreo or two, and some ice cream! Peanut butter is an everyday thing (it fits into my macros, and it's healthy all-natural! Sometimes Nutella, or reeses will make an appearance too!

Brownie with 2 Oreos & Peanut Butter In The Center

64830_10152730165045230_1913703337_n.jpg

Do I want to eat these every day? YES!!

Do I? ... no :frown:

BEETUS!!!

I NEED this in my life!!
  • Joycek801
    Joycek801 Posts: 7
    Options
    I eat what I want within my self-imposed rules of eating. I have one Dove Chocolate Bliss a day. No sodas diet or otherwise. Water, unsweetened tea, and coffee. Gotta have that tea. My diet is mostly protein, veggies and fruits. :smile:
  • iPlatano
    iPlatano Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Of course. Otherwise I would have gave up a long time ago.
  • tennisdude2004
    tennisdude2004 Posts: 5,609 Member
    Options
    Yep!
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i eat whatever i want everyday - i just eat less of it.
  • at_night_bookstore
    at_night_bookstore Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    yes i do... i also kill it in the gym...
  • Melly3080
    Melly3080 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    What are macros and how do you calculate them? I need help help help
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    Every day I eat things that I enjoy and I never consume things that I do not enjoy.

However, there are also plenty of days that I WANT to eat a certain food in a certain quantity but I DON'T because it's not a good fit in my available calorie/macronutrient goals.
  • runs4zen
    runs4zen Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    yes i do... i also kill it in the gym...

I'll have to see you kill it at the gym to be sure. Address please? :drinker:

And OP...like others have said, "yes" and "no"

I'm a distance runner so I burn a lot of calories, weekly either running or at the gym. I eat what I want, however, what I want is usually healthy food. When I want something unhealthy, I eat that too but in small amounts and infrequently. I always keep an eye on my calorie intake/output. I do drink on occasion.
  • Elsie_Brownraisin
    Elsie_Brownraisin Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    Nope. I wanted chips for lunch, didn't have them.

Eating what I wanted all the time was what got me here in the first place.

My goal is weightloss and I cannot spend hours upon hours exercising. It's all about fitting into your macros and cals, but unless the goal is to maintain/gain and/or you burn many thousands of calories through exercise, there is no place for fried chicken or baked camembert everytime I fancy it.

Edit to add - I do eat treats, I went a couple of hundred calories over yesterday for a planned treat and am making pizza this weekend. But I don't eat what I want every day.