Yes.
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    YES I DO.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, when I want but in smaller portions than I used to.
  • ButterflyEffectLiz
    ButterflyEffectLiz Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hmmm . . . My answer is yes and no. Yes, because what ever I eat is going to be something I wanted to eat cause I am not going to eat stuff I don't like or don't want. No, because I stop and think about the amount of calories I am putting in my mouth. So, that usually means choosing a smaller portion or version of what I want. But sometimes, that means choosing not to eat what I wanted because I decided that the serving size is way too small for the amount of calories it has. I love chips but I refuse to eat them because of how few I can have vs the calories. I mean when you can eat a whole full sized bag of popcorn vs 16 chips for the same or in some cases less calories and feel fuller.
  • Chezzie84
    Chezzie84 Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    When people think of dieting they think of no sweets, no sugar, and no treats. But, I think you should be able to eat what you enjoy everyday (in moderation of course). Do you agree? Can you still lose weight this way as long as you stay at your calorie goal? What things are you eating everyday as a treat? Or something you incorporate into your diet that may not be "healthy"?

well what i would "like" to eat everyday would probably grow me a double chin
    pizza burgers ice cream pizza... aka fatty food

so........... i literally haven't had any of that since I started this diet April 1st
    oh no i take that back I had pizza the 2nd week of April lol

Everyone says you can eat any thing just remember portion control
    i just know myself if i'm alone and i purchase such foods I wont be thinking about portion control so i just dont bother with it at all

When I was by myself, I portioned things before putting away. Food goes further and saves money.
  • MelodyClark0425
    Options
    I do eat what I want as long as it's in my calorie range unless... I am emotional eater so if I'm recognize I'm eating out of emotion and not true desire for that food, I try to stay away.
  • DapperKay
    DapperKay Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Convoluted overall. See I want to answer 'yes', then you know it will be followed by a 'but' which logically means 'no'. So the answer is 'no' and I will it follow it with something more logical 'because:

1- when you eat what you want you will diminish your ability to self control
    2- eating what you want puts significant strain on your attempts to reach your goals
    3- macros matter - if not for weight loss but for overall well being
    4- you need consistency and moderation in your approach to fitness. it is the only way I know off to maintain your results on the long run.
    5- when you want a little of something you like, realistically it won't be long before you will want more of that something, but that can be controlled (which takes us back to '1').

But the key is the long run - so you need to find the happy medium which allows you the satisfaction of enjoying your fav food whatever that is, and helps you stick to your goal and keep it going. Heck, I LOVE all types of stuff that are bad for me, I am a massive foodie and I spend my weekends at street food festivals sampling everything I can. But I allow myself that and I also treat myself to something sweet every day after dinner. Life is all about the long run. Enjoy the ride.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Moderation is the key word here. :wink:
  • adstott
    adstott Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    yes to a point, I know what my weakness is so I try to stay away from that.
  • Desifreckle
    Desifreckle Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    No. If I did I wouldn't have lost as much as I have. (100lbs before this site) lol
  • Hellbent_Heidi
    Hellbent_Heidi Posts: 3,669 Member
    Options
    No. "everything in moderation" is wonderful in theory, but for me, it does not work. I have to cut the "bad" stuff from my diet, because there are some things that just trigger me to overeat.
  • TriShamelessly
    TriShamelessly Posts: 905 Member
    Options
    In for the bashing.

Personally, I subscribe to the IIFYM regime. I couldn't live forever without the occasional beer or dessert. Of course, my nutritionist admonishes me if I don't get enough fruit or regular dairy, but I do the best I can.
  • donnaat27
    donnaat27 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do, as time has gone on (I've been on MFP for a year now) I crave less beige food. Every so often (usually once a month) I feel like kebab and chips and sometimes I get it, but more often now I know I won't be able to finish it all and can't bear the waste so don't bother. Occasionally I'll get an indulgence in and eat it all instead of a meal/ I know it's not healthy but I usually end up feeling a bit queasy and remind myself the next time.
  • ddino
    ddino Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I don't eat what I want every day, no. I eat as much as I can within the calories I'm given, enough to continue to lose weight. I do try to plan around some things, if I know I'm going out to eat or have some wine that night, I'll eat less so that it fits into my day's calories. But so long as I'm in lose mode, I know I just can't eat whatever I want.

I hope that once I'm in maintenance mode, I can allow myself to eat more.
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I eat what I want, when I want but in smaller portions than I used to.

tumblr_m7643jcWcY1rziwwco1_400.gif
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    You changed your name. Hi again. :smile:

I haven't read the other answers (except the first few). Mine might be different, because I've been in maintenance (give or take) for about 12 years.

Do I eat what I want every day? Yes, otherwise I wouldn't eat it. :-)
    Do I eat/drink exactly what I would most enjoy taste wise for every meal and snack?
    No, because that's how I became over weight. (Me)

But then, I also don't DO exactly what I would most enjoy every day all day. If I did, I'd be in bed right now instead of about to start work. That's being an adult I guess.

That said: I eat foods I enjoy. For example I eat pizza. I don't eat pizza every day, but I eat it when I really have a hankering for it. But, either hubs or I make the pizza (the way we choose to eat), or we eat at one of the healthier pizzerias in town. I don't often eat Dominos etc. I make that choice.

I eat burritos and other foods I love, but, I prepare them differently than I used to.

I make choices every day, just as calorie counters and IIFYM-dieters do.

I lost weight making choices, and I keep it off making choices. One choice I OFTEN make is to skip the bread basket, so I can have wine when we eat out. Someone else might skip the wine, and eat the bread, OR eat the bread and drink the wine, just moderate their calories. Others would run more miles to eat what they want, or skip an earlier meal. Choices.

So, yes, I eat what I want every day. What I want has changed. And I make choices. Just as I do in every other aspect of life. I really want an Audi sports car. I have a Honda Civic, and we're going on a great vacation. Choices.

Cheers and good luck!
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    I try to fit in an oreo or two, and some ice cream! Peanut butter is an everyday thing (it fits into my macros, and it's healthy all-natural! Sometimes Nutella, or reeses will make an appearance too!

Brownie with 2 Oreos & Peanut Butter In The Center

64830_10152730165045230_1913703337_n.jpg

Do I want to eat these every day? YES!!

Do I? ... no :frown:
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Not particularly. If I ate what I wanted every day it would be at least twice the amount of calories I need.
  • DivineChoices
    DivineChoices Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I'm still learning how to meet all my macros, but I'm pretty good about staying at or under my calorie goal. With that in mind, if I want something "bad" I will figure out exactly how much of what I can eat to still stay within my calories. For instance, this morning I had sugary cereal, and I plan on eating 1 oz of chips with lunch. So my morning snack is some low-calorie, high volume fruit to help me sate that hungry feeling I get between meals.

For me personally, I find that having "bad" foods on hand, help me control my cravings. I like approaching food with the mentality of "I can have it if I want. Do I want it? Yes? Ok, fit it in the goals. Does it fit?"

I used to be one of those people that would eat EVERYTHING in a single setting. That's how I got to where I am today. Now I'm just someone making better choices about portions.