Just Clearing Something Up

Options

Replies

• s_sutton01
    s_sutton01 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    OK.....yes, eating lean meats, protein snacks, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains and eliminating the sugars, laying off fried foods, and alcohol and avoiding bad fats is the right way to go....however, calorie count still matters.

Bottom line it's about energy balance:
    Your caloric intake should not exceed your expenditure if you want to lose weight.
    Your caloric intake should meet your expenditure to maintain.
    Your caloric intake should exceed your expenditure to gain/build mass.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    For you calorie counters, please be advised that if you do go over on your calories, it's not the number of calories you should be concerned about. It's what's in those calories you should pay attention to. As long as you are eating right, and according to your health goal, you will be fine even if you go over on calories. Lean meats, protein snacks, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains go a very long way. If you are eating these things daily, eliminating the sugars, laying off on the fried foods, leaving the alcohol alone, and staying away from the bad fats, you are going to be fine. It's not all about the calories, ladies and gents. It's what's in those calories that matters.
    BRB, going to eat 10,000 calories of chicken breast and pears. I should lose weight, right?

No?

Oh.

Ah . . . but are they skinless, organic, free-range chicken breasts fed entirely on marigold seeds and blossoms?
    Of course. I'm not some sort of monster.
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    For you calorie counters, please be advised that if you do go over on your calories, it's not the number of calories you should be concerned about. It's what's in those calories you should pay attention to. As long as you are eating right, and according to your health goal, you will be fine even if you go over on calories. Lean meats, protein snacks, fruits, vegetables, and whole grains go a very long way. If you are eating these things daily, eliminating the sugars, laying off on the fried foods, leaving the alcohol alone, and staying away from the bad fats, you are going to be fine. It's not all about the calories, ladies and gents. It's what's in those calories that matters.

This does not clear anything up; it's actually quite vague and misleading. Telling people they will be 'fine' is not definitive at all. Most of us on here counting calories are doing so in an attempt to lose weight. While I agree that eating lean meats, fruits, veggies, etc is good for one's overall health, it is not the major contributor to weight loss or maintenance. Eating fewer calories than you burn will promote weight loss. I'll keep my bacon and ice cream and keep counting calories, but thanks anyway.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    So I just went over my calories today eating fish and than this delicious dessert... tomorrow do I wake up and all 109 lbs are back?? Or did the fish put me over my calories so I'm ok cause that's healthy right?

Depends on what you logged last in your diary.

Now I have to go check ... hmm guess I'm in trouble the sundae and the cookies were last!

Guess I'll be starting over tomorrow
    fat-woman-cartoon.gif
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Does it help if I wrap the unhealthy stuff in some lettuce before I eat it?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Oh please tell me again about the "bad" fats that's my favorite part.

READ IT AGAIN, READ IT AGAIN GRANNY!

SuperStock_1491R-1047084.jpg
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Does it help if I wrap the unhealthy stuff in some lettuce before I eat it?

Yes, that is why I eat my bacon with lettuce and tomato!! :love:
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    No! :noway:
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    This is not good advice. A calorie surplus of celery would still cause weight gain. Paying attention to our diets is important, promoting the health halo is almost cruel to people who don't know better yet.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    This guy was "eating clean" and going over cals, and lo and behold - he got fat. Switched to counting cals, and eating ice cream and fast food, and - ta-da - he got lean.

http://www.healthylivingheavylifting.com/how-clean-eating-made-me-fat-but-ice-cream-and-subway-got-me-lean/

:drinker:
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    OP if you believe what you said then why do you sell Herbalife? It's powdered processed stuff and not a real food.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    LOL

My super clean paleo bulk of 2012 says you're wrong.

Anyhow, in...because this thread is going placed.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    LOL

Anyhow, in...because this thread is going places.
    fify
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    lol

Just lol
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    LOL

Anyhow, in...because this thread is going places.
    fify

In for gifs and corrections.
    And also MCD :happy:
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    OP if you believe what you said then why do you sell Herbalife? It's powdered processed stuff and not a real food.

Oh snap
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    hD179BDFB_zpse6011fa6.gif

What a terrific gif. I'm not a feline lover but I love that big gorgeous cat.

:flowerforyou:
  • jennifermason37604
    jennifermason37604 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Just follow the MFP for yourselves and you should be fine.....Ugh already!
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options

If the goal is to lose weight, then if a person goes over, regardless of content, weight will be gained, goals will not be met and this advice would be misleading.
  • ew_david
    ew_david Posts: 3,473 Member
    Options
    Sweet. Ima go have some extra Scotchy Scotch Scotch ice cream because I had grilled chicken earlier. I'll make the chicken calories my surplus ones so I'll be in the clear!