• mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Patience is the key..

So true!
  • CharleePear
    CharleePear Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    Although many people will tell you that one size fits all, it's simply not true. Everyone loses weight in different ways, but there ARE fundamental truths and that is calories are energy and fuel, if you eat more fuel than you need it get's stored.

Eat as many whole foods as you can.

Calculate your Calories and Macros (Protein, Carbs, Fat, Sugar etc) at http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/

As many people say, PATIENCE! Some people lose weight in a couple of months some in a couple of weeks, some people take 6 months to lose a little weight before their body gets it, some people seem to lose a lot really fast. Patience is key. Try one way for a month, if that doesn't work, tweak things slowly until you find the right fit.

Add people to your Friends List that are supportive and fun all in one, they are there to help and can become really good friends who will be there when you need a cry or a laugh or to vent or just for company! It helps, cos weight loss is not just in what you eat it's WHY you eat and HOW you go to where you are.
  • Manny0311
    Manny0311 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    The word DIET is the word called DIE.....with a T at the end.

I hate it when people that say they are dieting !

Not a DIET.

Just about making a change a in lifestyle. Healthier choices and the naughty stuff in moderation.

Slow and steady...that way it stays off !

Best of luck !
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    READ.

and get friendly with the search tool.
  • michellemybelll
    Options

Not a DIET.

Just about making a change a in lifestyle. Healthier choices and the naughty stuff in moderation.

Best of luck !

di·et1
    ˈdī-it/
    noun
    noun: diet; plural noun: diets

the kinds of food that a person, animal, or community habitually eats.
    "a vegetarian diet"
    synonyms: selection of food, food, foodstuffs

just for your info dude. diet is the correct term.
  • Manny0311
    Manny0311 Posts: 38 Member
    Options

Not a DIET.

Best of luck !

di·et1
    ˈdī-it/
    noun

"a vegetarian diet"

There's always a smart ar*e in the room.... Thanks for the dictionary
  • michellemybelll
    Options

Not a DIET.

Best of luck !

di·et1
    ˈdī-it/
    noun

"a vegetarian diet"

There's always a smart ar*e in the room.... Thanks for the dictionary
    so pointing out how you misinterpreted a word's meaning makes me a smartass? k. you should go here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1283996-why-do-people-get-so-mean
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Persist
  • kdeaux1959
    kdeaux1959 Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Jessica
    I just started using this app to count calories and to lose some weight, but I would like to know how do you count calories with homemade foods do you scan every ingredient? I'm a little unsure and I'd like to keep on track as much as possible. I'm also doing light workout until I can build an insurance to do harder workouts. Please help!!!!!!

Jessica, it depends on the person. Certainly you can do that. As for me, I make as close an estimate as I can find ... for instance, Finding an entry for "Chicken spaghetti" rather than scanning every little ingredient that you put in it... It may be a little off ... just be as close as possible. There are times, however that I do log in the ingredients to foods that I regularly consume (Red beans and rice is an example)...I set that as a "meal" so that I don't have to do it every time...
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Be honest with your food diary, realize how many years it took to gain the weight and realize it is not coming off as fast as we would all like, there will be failures that you CAN work through to get back on track, people will be jealous when you are all of a sudden lighter weight than they are and hang in there you are doing this for YOU and YOU CAN SUCCEED.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    Options
    weigh it, log it, eat it, live it
  • seltzermint555
    seltzermint555 Posts: 10,742 Member
    Options

Most people give up a weight loss or exercise program after 3 weeks. Don't be one of those people!

This is probably my favorite advice in this thread.

I personally never truly tried a weight loss program until MFP, even though I was 36 when I joined last Spring! But I joined with the thought of like, "I'll do this for a year and see what happens" not "I NEED TO LOSE 46 LB BY THIS WEDDING IN JULY". I didn't know it at the time but I think my approach set me up to succeed rather than fail. Even if I'm only down 2 lb at the end of a month, I'm ahead of someone who totally quit and gained weight. Good advice.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    don't take candy from strangers.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    Don't just listen to all the advice that you get...sort it all out and look into it yourself!!! Especially if it came from the message boards, as they are full of conflicting opinions and schools of thought.
    Also when reading a message board post, do your best to read it with out any "tone" at first it felt like people who were answering me were being snotty and snide....they weren't, more often just short and very direct....which is needed to avoid the whoa is me's that pop up all over the place
  • lsorci919
    lsorci919 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    don't take candy from strangers.

But candy from strangers is the best! :(
  • whitebalance
    whitebalance Posts: 1,655 Member
    Options
    I have two, sorry. The first one is... Inertia is your friend, if you make it work for you. A body at rest tends to stay at rest; a body in motion tends to stay in motion. Starting is the hard part of anything. Turn off the computer and start now. Don't worry abut how long you're going to spend on the treadmill, or whether you're going to complete your whole strength workout - just get in there and get started. Once you've started, it's so much easier to keep going. Do keep going... Don't stop... Because then you have to start again, and inertia becomes your nemesis. Make it work for you.

The second is... You didn't get to your starting point all at once; it's ok not to change all the things all at once..You're probably a real person with a real life, and upending that real life probably isn't going to work out for you in the long term. If you commit yourself overnight to living on 1200 calories, cutting out whole food groups you've always loved, getting up three hours early to spend two hours a day every day in the gym, starting a 6-day-a-week compound lifting program you designed for yourself, and running X miles every day... You are setting yourself up for failure. Pick one change you can fit into your life today, and start making that change today. Master that change. You will see results... You will get excited... You will want more. Then find another change you can make, and do so. Keep kicking it up a notch at a time... You will find you're capable of more and more, and you will have progress along the way.

We laugh at the word "journey" here, but it fits for a lot of people. Get started, don't overthink it, and don't burn yourself out by trying to sprint the first mile of a 100-mile trip.

tl;dr version: Start NOW with some manageable change, and keep it going.
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    Options
    Bump
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Keep it simple. Over complication, Fad diets cutting out macro nutrients etc etc. Are all basically the tools of excuse makers. Don't get me wrong they can help sometimes. But not as much as the people on them THINK they do. Oh and EXERCISE. Seriously you can lose weight without exercising. But without good exercise habits you will probably but it all back on.