Why do people get so mean?

Options

Replies

• 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Snarky comments are nothing more than passive aggressiveness. It really says a lot about that persons need to feel validated.

I 100% agree. Snark = passive aggression.

An aside: I feel like passive aggression is especially geographically regional in real life, and on myfitnesspal, regional in the sense of people's goals. I.E., the bodybuilders who must count every single number perfectly are more likely to be passive aggressive than people like me or a mother looking to lose 20 pounds, or a casual runner just keeping track of things. Does that make sense? Out of some perceived superiority, people feel they can be passively aggressive.

This is one of the funniest things ones I've read on these forums. :laugh:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Mean is all in the perception. What I see as straightforward others might see as mean, and vice versa.

In general at these forums, I think ti's mean to ask questions and then get mad at people who tell you the truth or give you answers you don't want to hear. There is a lot of that lately, especially when it comes to weight gain threads.

Really, it's all in the perception. The boards are based on taking what you like and leaving the rest. :smile:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    How to deal with mean people online:
    1) Turn off computer / tablet / phone
    2) Throw out computer / tablet / phone
    3) Cancel Internet and phone / cellphone service

Sorry, OP, I don't think you can be helped if this is your example of a mean post! I really think you need to relax a little and exercise your sense of humor

How many calories can I burn by exercising my sense of humor?

Not so much by itself, but we'd need to count the calories we burn prying the large stick out of our *kitten* first :laugh:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    Why is it always the people with 46 posts who haven't lost anything in 2 years that think people are mean?
  • Forty6and2
    Forty6and2 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options

Sorry, OP, I don't think you can be helped if this is your example of a mean post! I really think you need to relax a little and exercise your sense of humor

Not so much by itself, but we'd need to count the calories we burn prying the large stick out of our *kitten* first :laugh:

You. I like you.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Snarky comments are nothing more than passive aggressiveness. It really says a lot about that persons need to feel validated.

An aside: I feel like passive aggression is especially geographically regional in real life, and on myfitnesspal, regional in the sense of people's goals. I.E., the bodybuilders who must count every single number perfectly are more likely to be passive aggressive than people like me or a mother looking to lose 20 pounds, or a casual runner just keeping track of things. Does that make sense? Out of some perceived superiority, people feel they can be passively aggressive.

I have not found this to be the case at all.

The majority of the body builders on this site are also knowledgeable and helpful. There are exceptions of course, but for the most part that's been my experience.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    Why is it always the people with 46 posts who haven't lost anything in 2 years that think people are mean?
    this one made me snort.....well played indeed.
  • tgrey4
    tgrey4 Posts: 56
    Options

Not sure who this is targeted at, but it is not entirely logical to shame or put down someone's opinion on the basis of his or her weight loss -- or post count, lol -- alone.
  • millerll
    millerll Posts: 873 Member
    Options
    Well, I see this is turning into the usual "let's bash the meanie bodybuilders" thread.

After all, why would anyone take advice from athletes in peak condition who make the study of fitness and nutrition their life's passion? <eyeroll>
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options

Please expand on your attribution of a negative quality to a regional subsection of the population.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

Not sure who this is targeted at, but it is not entirely logical to shame or put down someone's opinion on the basis of his or her weight loss -- or post count, lol -- alone.

Its not directed at anyone, its an academic question. I ask it as someone who was once a low-post count person with little to no success who thought people were mean.

eta: though a low post count indicates that a person does not spend their time in the forum helping others. It is quite amusing to see someone who doesn't help criticize the way others help.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    The weirdest thing just happened...I was trying to catch up on this thread and was overcome with the intense and distinct urge to have an enema? What the heck just happened to my muscles?
  • JLongendorf
    JLongendorf Posts: 8 Member
    Options

You. I like you.

I like both of you. Stick prying can burn a lot of calories.

Seriously though...the amount of bashing is insane. You don't like someone's response? Ignore it. We're all here to get healthier...we all have goals we're trying to reach. But clearly we shouldn't take advice from those stupid bodybuilders. I mean, they're not in great shape or anything. *shakes head*
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options

But why is it so easy to jump to sarcasm, far-fetched examples, obviously unhelpful comments, etc.?

That would be because it's the Internet. The only thing more annoying than the mean people are the people who lecture about mean people in brand new threads.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options

How about based on their fitness status (as a body builder, for example)?
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options

This was, ironically, a very passive-aggressive post.

It would seem that those who are so quick and certain to see this type of behavior in others (regardless of whether or not it is apt) seem to have great difficulty in seeing it in themselves.

Interesting, no?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    ...and I've never even HAD an enema! ..o0O(????)
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options

How about based on their fitness status (as a body builder, for example)?

Checkmate_finn.gif
This discussion has been closed.