Go Team October - Hundred Push-up Challenge

Options

Replies

• onebadrg
    Options
    Attempted Week 4 Day 1 but got headache on forth set.

Could have been because I fasted today because of Blood Test.

Will try again in a on Wednesday.

Joel
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    Options
    W2D2 Down!! 10 -12-9-9- Max...15!= 55 Woot!
  • meagalayne
    meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
    Options
    Joel - I wouldn't worry about it. If you are fasting, anything too strenuous should be avoided. Just get back on it tomorrow and you'll do fine :)

Meggon - You are a machine, woman! Way to go! :drinker:

Still reeling from my 10 push-ups yesterday... So happy with myself! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Kristy - Have you done your exhaustion test? Let us know when you get started!

Where's my Vet, anyway? I am expecting a full report :laugh: I sure hope she's dragging herself out of bed for those darned push-ups!

Cheers - Meag
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Quick question... I do my challenge M/W/F but I circuit train on Tues/Thurs and that includes 30 push-ups, which I tend to do from my knees since the sets are in 10s and I don't want to over-work those muscle groups on the days I am not doing my challenge. Do you guys think that this should be alright, or should I cut out the push-ups on T/T? Did them today and felt alright, I just don't want to stall any progress on the challenge because of tired and sore muscles. So far it seems alright but as I increase the # of push-ups I am doing, it may become more of an issue. Any thoughts?

Thanks!
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    Meag-

I cut the pushups out of my circuit (I do the pushups in the morning b4 work, then the circuit when I get home) and add in an arm exercise for a different(ish) group of muscles. Boyfriend has a pullup bar that fits in doorways so I do a reverse-pullup (stand on chair at pulled up position and lower myself to the ground).

I would say drop them from your circuit- strength workouts in particular, your muscles need time to rest to grow.

~Gonk
  • tjradd73
    tjradd73 Posts: 3,495 Member
    Options
    Meag- I agree...I think you should drop or sub the pushups in your circuit training with something else..."they" always say not to over work the muscle and to give it a break! :)
  • onebadrg
    Options
    Well W4 D1 Completed, after also putting in 1 hour and half of workout this morning.

Now on to Week 4, D1 D2 D3.

Day 1

Set 1 = 21
    Set 2 = 25
    Set 3 = 21
    Set 4 = 21
    Set 5 = 32 w/3 minute between
    Total = 120

Day 2

Set 1 = 25
    Set 2 = 29
    Set 3 = 25
    Set 4 = 25
    Set 5 = At Least 36
    Total = ???????

Day 3

Set 1 = 29
    Set 2 = 33
    Set 3 = 29
    Set 4 = 29
    Set 5 = At Least 40
    Total = ???????

Have Fun Everyone.

Let's Do This.

Joel
  • stuartme123
    stuartme123 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Almost forgot to do my sets today!!! I've been working part time on a local campaign - and of course today (Tues) was election day in the US. So I was out campaigning from 6am - 8:30pm - which was a hell of a day!!! (My candidate won by the way :bigsmile: ) And I got back to my apartment around 9:30 and turned on CNN to track the national elections around the country and completely forgot about this challenge until about 30 min ago.

But never fear - I got it done (on my knees)! W2D2 = 5+6+4+4+13(?!) = 32!!! :noway: +8 from Sunday!!
    I've been having a real problem with my max set (barely able to do minimum) - but today, I did really really well. Could be many explanations:probably the fact that I rested a lot more between sets 2 & 3 than usual (my roommate came home, and we talked a bit). I may try extending my rest time between sets a little bit and see if that helps me improve.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Thanks for the advice Gonk and Tara! I will take it into serious consideration...

Joel & Meredith - Great work on your sets today! Serious progress being made. Hope you guys both feel good about it!

W2D2 tomorrow... Feeling good but a little nervous. Bring it on!
    -Meag
  • tjradd73
    Options
    just a note!!! that max set is a killer!!! everyone is doing fantastic!!! and i'll check in when i am done tomorrow!!! good luck everyone!! :)
  • Hoosiermomma
    Hoosiermomma Posts: 877 Member
    Options
    Alright! Doing day 1 week 2 today. A little goof... Started off thinking I was doing an an exhaustion test an gritted through 21 standard push-ups. Went to record it and realized I had the full set to go.:noway: Makes for some kind of weird results, not to mention tired triceps! My weird results...
    21 + 10 + 14 + 10 + 10 + 18 = 83
    Not planning on doing that again!

Quoting myself here to be ready to start up when my back is feeling better. Bad start this week. Woke up on Monday with a SORE back. Ouch! Just down to 2 Advil in the morning now and still moving carefully. Getting out of bed is a little work but I seem to be getting better during the day. I have no idea where this came from but I have put the brakes on the running and push-ups. My first rule when I have this kind of pain is "rest and stretch 3 days and THEN see if I need more help" My 2nd & 3rd rules would be lots of sleep and a healthy diet. Oops didn't do as well there! Today I WILL walk. Now I said it and will have to do it, right?? See you hopefully soon!
  • tjradd73
    Options
    OK REPEAT OF WK1 D3 DONE!!! 11-15-9-9-15=59 TOTAL

OK FOLKS...I NEED SOME ADVICE!? THIS WAS MY SECOND TIME DOING WEEK 1 CUZ I WANTED TO REDO IT TO WORK ON MY FORM. I FEEL LIKE MY FORM HAS IMPROVED (STILL ON MY KNEES); HOWEVER, DAY 3 IS STILL VERY DIFFICULT FOR ME!! SHOULD I REDO WK1 AGAIN OR MOVE ONTO WEEK 2????
  • meagalayne
    Options
    W2D2 - Totally a challenge. Ended up spending more than 90 seconds recovering before my last set. Did 5-6-4-4-8 = 27 push-ups total. Not a bad day but it definitely hurt. Definitely resting tomorrow. No push-ups for me! I'll just omit them from my circuit, I guess!

Sounds like everyone else is doing well!

Tara- I'd move on and try to push yourself. Take longer recovery breaks if needed. If you feel like it's impossible to do any more, then stick with week 1, but if you're not collapsing after every set, move onto week 2 and try your best!

Hoosier- Really hope you are feeling 100% soon!! Looking forward to having you in on the challenge! I'll be here for a while... haha take your time!

Good luck everyone else!
    -Meag
  • tjradd73
    Options

Tara- I'd move on and try to push yourself. Take longer recovery breaks if needed. If you feel like it's impossible to do any more, then stick with week 1, but if you're not collapsing after every set, move onto week 2 and try your best!

thanks Meag! I think I will give wk2 a try on Friday!!! Keep up the great work!
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Hola Peeps. Just wanted to report on the max set after week 2 = 25 so I guess I'll be starting on Week 3 tomorrow.

Went to the chiro today (have an SI injury) - he was telling me exercises to do for the injury which include firming up the abdominals for support. One of the exercises he gave me was push ups. LOL :happy:

The other was "6 inches" which are always killer for me. :huh:
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Hola Peeps. Just wanted to report on the max set after week 2 = 25 so I guess I'll be starting on Week 3 tomorrow.

Went to the chiro today (have an SI injury) - he was telling me exercises to do for the injury which include firming up the abdominals for support. One of the exercises he gave me was push ups. LOL :happy:

The other was "6 inches" which are always killer for me. :huh:
    Psht. I've been telling you that for WEEKS Vet! hahaha :wink: JK Good stuff though since you're already such a push-up all star!

What on earth is "6 inches"? :laugh: Gosh, do I even want to know?
  • meggonkgonk
    Options
    Hey all W2D3: 12+13+10+10+17= 62

Exhaustion test Saturday.
  • meagalayne
    Options
    Sweeeet Meggon! Amazing work :bigsmile:
  • Fit4Vet
    Fit4Vet Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Psht. I've been telling you that for WEEKS Vet! hahaha :wink: JK Good stuff though since you're already such a push-up all star!

Meag: evidently 6 inches are where you lie flat on your back & lift your feet 6" off the ground. And, in his version, you hold it until your abs start to cramp, then rest & do it again - do this like for 5-10 mins a day! I know it's killer because I do it as part of my pilates routine on Sat & Sun of every week (although I don't hold it that long or do it for 10 mins!). On Monday, my abs are sooo sore! :happy:

He also recommended "reverse 6 inches" where you lie on your stomach and lift both legs up from the hips & hold. It's suppose to strengthen the glutes (which keeps the periformis in check & not balled up!). All of which we use in a major way as we are running! :bigsmile:
  • meagalayne
    Options

Meag: evidently 6 inches are where you lie flat on your back & lift your feet 6" off the ground. And, in his version, you hold it until your abs start to cramp, then rest & do it again - do this like for 5-10 mins a day! I know it's killer because I do it as part of my pilates routine on Sat & Sun of every week (although I don't hold it that long or do it for 10 mins!). On Monday, my abs are sooo sore! :happy:

He also recommended "reverse 6 inches" where you lie on your stomach and lift both legs up from the hips & hold. It's suppose to strengthen the glutes (which keeps the periformis in check & not balled up!). All of which we use in a major way as we are running! :bigsmile:
    Great! I'll try both of these today along with my circuit! Thanks, Vet!