Giving your body no choice but to burn fat daily

Options

Replies

• negator5543
    negator5543 Posts: 36
    Options
    What purpose is served by stopping newbies from taking bad advice, what exactly are you trying to prevent?
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone here could actually articulate why they care so much if a post is filled with incorrect information?

My interest is maintaining the intellectual and informational integrity of the forum. My interest is not in stroking the ego's of the misinformed in some sugar-coated there-there version of respect.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    But doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose? To tell someone that they're being disrespectful by being disrespectful yourself (not you personally, but in general)? It seems to me that such people lose all credibility. And there was some mockery and ridicule right off the bat, even if it was lighter than what followed.

I don't see a whole lot disrespect here on par with calling people a retard. I see the usual suspects demanding scientific evidence to support her claims.

Perhaps that's the issue. Some people don't realize that their posts come off in a mocking, insulting way and then are shocked when someone acted defensive.

I'm not justifying the OP's response or her use of certain phrases/words, but it's not like it came out of nowhere because of respectful disagreement. The first reply was a starry bra pic -- do you think that was respectful disagreement? And then it was followed up by posts talking about he *kitten* storm and mocking some of her assertions. C'mon...you can't pretend that's not there, even if it's on the lighter side.

Actually, that sh&tstorm comment was mine and, I must say, I was right on. :drinker:

But, in all seriousness, it wasn't a personal attack. It was a comment on the inevitable debate that was about to happen because it happens every single day in the forums. I' think that's pretty clear and if she found that to be offensive, she isn't ready for the internet.

She escalated the situation to a level it didn't need to reach within a page and a half of posts.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/mar/04/animal-protein-diets-smoking-meat-eggs-dairy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21102327

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/03/04/285879644/eat-plants-and-prosper-for-longevity-go-easy-on-the-meat-study-says

Okay, maybe I misremembered the grams of protein needed (not that I have been measuring), but the point being is we need a lot less than what we have been led to believe. Not to mention the source of where you get that protein.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
    So most journals of medicine and science will agree about .08 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. I think you mixed the .08 gram with 8 grams total. Understandable mistake. Now about that hot tub cardio...................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Didin't it say 0.8 not 0.08 grams per KG? of she would be close as you would have to weight 100kgs to get 8 grams of protien if you only needed .08, but 0.8 would be 80 grams.
    Sorry, I put in too many zeros. My bad. 0.8 is CORRECT.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

http://www.olympichottub.com/health/cardiovascular.html

This is a site selling hot tubs, it's stating they are safer than previously thought for people with heart problem...

OMFG... just google it your damn selves. I'm sick of proving myself to you monsters...

We are now:

R-words
    As*holes
    and now monsters!

I'm actually disappointed. Monsters is really underwhelming considering what you started with.

Well YOU are a monster. How the hell else could you be reading fast enough to be keeping up that well, I started reading this thread when it was only seven pages long, and only just now got to my first reply, and the is now are least 13 pages. Only a monster, or maybe sonic the hedgehog, could be reading that fast.

Are you by chance a hedgehog?
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone here could actually articulate why they care so much if a post is filled with incorrect information?

It has already been expressed...

To prevent the spread of misinformation to somebody who is new searching the boards for solid advice.

Ok and what is the intention there exactly? Do you actually care if some random noob logs in and gets bad advice?

Or more specifically why do you care about that?

Bad advice breeds more bad advice. And why is it hard for you to think that people can care about the health of strangers. I'm glad some strangers cared about me from time to time.
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    A hot tub "works" the cardiovascular system in that it'll cause vasodilation and increased heart rate. But that doesn't make it exercise or good for your heart.

Cocaine causes vasodilation and increases the heart rate too. I guess it can be counted as cardio too! Oh, wait. That's probably not good for your hear either. Damn.

It is if you do it whilst sitting in a hot tub.
  • adorable_aly
    adorable_aly Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/mar/04/animal-protein-diets-smoking-meat-eggs-dairy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21102327

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/03/04/285879644/eat-plants-and-prosper-for-longevity-go-easy-on-the-meat-study-says

Okay, maybe I misremembered the grams of protein needed (not that I have been measuring), but the point being is we need a lot less than what we have been led to believe. Not to mention the source of where you get that protein.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
    So most journals of medicine and science will agree about .08 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. I think you mixed the .08 gram with 8 grams total. Understandable mistake. Now about that hot tub cardio...................

IDEA Fitness member

Didin't it say 0.8 not 0.08 grams per KG? of she would be close as you would have to weight 100kgs to get 8 grams of protien if you only needed .08, but 0.8 would be 80 grams.
    Sorry, I put in too many zeros. My bad. 0.8 is CORRECT.

IDEA Fitness member

http://www.olympichottub.com/health/cardiovascular.html

This is a site selling hot tubs, it's stating they are safer than previously thought for people with heart problem...

OMFG... just google it your damn selves. I'm sick of proving myself to you monsters...
    http://www.pof.com/member67342880.htm Or google you... smoking the herbs as in interest? you have them listed as an interest. (Hey, if I am going to be called a monster, I am damn well going to earn it.)

Interests
    Photography Hair Make-up
    Hiking Movies Relaxing
    Adventures Smoking herb Comedy
    Challenges Scavenger hunts Quads
    Swimming Exploring Outdoor fun
    Art Crafts Volunteering
    Vegetarian Vegan

Ok that's just too far.
  • itodd4019
    itodd4019 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    wow - I read this

I have way to much time on my hands

slowly backs away
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    What purpose is served by stopping newbies from taking bad advice, what exactly are you trying to prevent?

People harming themselves for no reason other than propogated misinformation. General health and wellbeing is the goal, malnutrition and a pathological and non-reality based approach to food is what we are trying to prevent.
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Coming from a special ed. teacher; totally not cool to toss around the R word. If she had a child with a mental disability, boy, her choice of words would change for sure. It's ok . . . Karma's a "B."

tumblr_mq7i9s4gh21qewacoo1_500.jpg
  • forkofpower
    forkofpower Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    But doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose? To tell someone that they're being disrespectful by being disrespectful yourself (not you personally, but in general)? It seems to me that such people lose all credibility. And there was some mockery and ridicule right off the bat, even if it was lighter than what followed.

I don't see a whole lot disrespect here on par with calling people a retard. I see the usual suspects demanding scientific evidence to support her claims.

Perhaps that's the issue. Some people don't realize that their posts come off in a mocking, insulting way and then are shocked when someone acted defensive.

I'm not justifying the OP's response or her use of certain phrases/words, but it's not like it came out of nowhere because of respectful disagreement. The first reply was a starry bra pic -- do you think that was respectful disagreement? And then it was followed up by posts talking about he *kitten* storm and mocking some of her assertions. C'mon...you can't pretend that's not there, even if it's on the lighter side.

Actually, that sh&tstorm comment was mine and, I must say, I was right on. :drinker:

But, in all seriousness, it wasn't a personal attack. It was a comment on the inevitable debate that was about to happen because it happens every single day in the forums. I' think that's pretty clear and if she found that to be offensive, she isn't ready for the internet.

She escalated the situation to a level it didn't need to reach within a page and a half of posts.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the long length of the thread is due more to the OP's increasingly immature antics than anything else. If OP had just conceded that some of her 'facts' were wrong, rather than calling people 'retards', I'm sure there would've been less piling on.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

Encouraging people with incorrect actions for healthy weight loss is bad. Hey, cabbage diet, yea that's good, thanks for telling me that it was a good idea for me to do that. Bit extreme example but essentially what folks here are trying to cull out.
    I for one appreciate it.
    We know everything on the web is true. The preceding statement is false.

But some are doing it in horribly ineffective, counterproductive ways. You can vehemently disagree with someone and still do so in a respectful way.

And what way would that be? Asking for scientific evidence to support your claims?

Didn't see any of that happening.

Nope, that's great. But just do so in a respectful way without all the unnecessary mockery, ridicule and general nastiness.

If a 10 year-old gets his math homework wrong, do you point and laugh and tell him how ridiculous he is? Is that going to encourage him to learn?

He's ten and not 30. Also, if one of my nephews, say the 12 year old came to me and told me a fact that I knew wasn't fact, I would tell him to prove it. I've done it before. He tried but failed. It was a good learning experience.
  • negator5543
    negator5543 Posts: 36
    Options
    I'm not seeing the correlation between stopping bad information and "caring" about others.

I care about my mother, I'm not going to go correct "heroine is awesome" posts on a message board because she might read it and believe it.
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options

So some new person doesn't try subsist on 8g of protein a day most likely.
  • chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options

http://www.pof.com/member67342880.htm Or google you... smoking the herbs as in interest? you have them listed as an interest. (Hey, if I am going to be called a monster, I am damn well going to earn it.)

Interests
    Photography Hair Make-up
    Hiking Movies Relaxing
    Adventures Smoking herb Comedy
    Challenges Scavenger hunts Quads
    Swimming Exploring Outdoor fun
    Art Crafts Volunteering
    Vegetarian Vegan

This is just uncool.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    Options
    um, harm? someone eating 8gs of protein a day isnt going to have the greatest health
  • rrlwelter
    rrlwelter Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Sorry - I'm not at the office that has my files of studies, and the one I'm looking for is at least a decade old (although I haven't seen it refuted).

There were several strong studies correlating narcissism and unrealistically high self-esteem in teens and young adults with explosive, hostile, and potentially dangerous to others behaviors when confronted. The studies did not identify cause (were they bent on danger to others, making us consider them to be narcissistic or were they narcissists who couldn't handle being reprimanded and then harmed/killed those who confronted them?), but did identify a strong correlation.

This OP is a scary person - and I work with significantly emotionally disturbed adolescents. Those on the thread who pointed out her errors and escalation are not responsible for her responses (if she didn't escalate for those with knowledge, she would have escalated for someone/something else anyway). She needs help from someone who can give her a reality check.

And yes - when I'm at the other office, I'll dig out the study(s) and post specific info.
  • rlynnehawk
    rlynnehawk Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I consume at least 150 grams of lean protein every day on a 1200 calorie diet and I've lost 30 lbs in 95 days and built and toned muscle.
  • Strokingdiction
    Options

It has already been expressed...

To prevent the spread of misinformation to somebody who is new searching the boards for solid advice.

Ok and what is the intention there exactly? Do you actually care if some random noob logs in and gets bad advice?

Or more specifically why do you care about that?

Yes, because bad advice doesn't die, it multiplies.

I would rather sift through legitimate questions on this forum than read these type of threads.

No you wouldn't. You loved this thread. Admit it.

But I agree with your point.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options
    I go to get my oil changed and this thread just exploded! A lot of catching up, I have. :grumble:
This discussion has been closed.