Giving your body no choice but to burn fat daily

Options

Replies

• PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I wonder if anyone here could actually articulate why they care so much if a post is filled with incorrect information?

Easy. If we allow misinformation to spread in the forums, people who are new to all of this may be led down a counterproductive, and potentially unhealthy, path. Better to correct it.
  • lindsey1979
    lindsey1979 Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    This is what I have done to turn myself into a fat burning machine!

1. Nutrition.

Thank you for sharing what is working for you. I, myself, appreciate anyone who is willing to share their insight into what has helped them get healthier. Good luck on the rest of your journey. God bless.

This is exactly what we didn't want to see happen.

Why? I appreciate the fact that she shared, though I disagree with many of her assertions.

It's just a shame when threads like this go sideways so quickly because it does discourage and shut down meaningful discourse that actually could be helpful or it gets swamped by gifs, insults and mockery.

Threads like this, ie ones that are horribly misinformed, go sideways so quickly as a defense response to prevent that misinformation propagating to someone who is naive. I have more vested interest in the general wellbeing than I do in the ego of someone as simultaneously arrogant and ignorant as the OP

Well, I wish people would just be a little kinder and more respectful. Then this whole thread could have been 20-30 posts instead of the ridiculous number it is now because of all the rudeness, mockery, ridicule, etc. (going both directions).
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    http://www.theguardian.com/science/2014/mar/04/animal-protein-diets-smoking-meat-eggs-dairy

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21102327

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2014/03/04/285879644/eat-plants-and-prosper-for-longevity-go-easy-on-the-meat-study-says

Okay, maybe I misremembered the grams of protein needed (not that I have been measuring), but the point being is we need a lot less than what we have been led to believe. Not to mention the source of where you get that protein.

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.php
    So most journals of medicine and science will agree about .08 grams of protein per kilogram of body weight. I think you mixed the .08 gram with 8 grams total. Understandable mistake. Now about that hot tub cardio...................

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Didin't it say 0.8 not 0.08 grams per KG? of she would be close as you would have to weight 100kgs to get 8 grams of protien if you only needed .08, but 0.8 would be 80 grams.
    Sorry, I put in too many zeros. My bad. 0.8 is CORRECT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

http://www.olympichottub.com/health/cardiovascular.html

This is a site selling hot tubs, it's stating they are safer than previously thought for people with heart problem...

OMFG... just google it your damn selves. I'm sick of proving myself to you monsters...
    http://www.pof.com/member67342880.htm Or google you... smoking the herbs as in interest? you have them listed as an interest. (Hey, if I am going to be called a monster, I am damn well going to earn it.)

Interests
    Photography Hair Make-up
    Hiking Movies Relaxing
    Adventures Smoking herb Comedy
    Challenges Scavenger hunts Quads
    Swimming Exploring Outdoor fun
    Art Crafts Volunteering
    Vegetarian Vegan
  • negator5543
    negator5543 Posts: 36
    Options
    I wonder if anyone here could actually articulate why they care so much if a post is filled with incorrect information?

It has already been expressed...

To prevent the spread of misinformation to somebody who is new searching the boards for solid advice.

Ok and what is the intention there exactly? Do you actually care if some random noob logs in and gets bad advice?

Or more specifically why do you care about that?
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Aye OP, I know something that'll work your cardiovascular system even more than a hot tub.
    Interested?

You know what I'm talkin' 'bout...

Call of duty and diet red bull, of course...
  • _Pseudonymous_
    _Pseudonymous_ Posts: 1,671 Member
    Options

1. Nutrition.

Thank you for sharing what is working for you. I, myself, appreciate anyone who is willing to share their insight into what has helped them get healthier. Good luck on the rest of your journey. God bless.

Why? I appreciate the fact that she shared, though I disagree with many of her assertions.

It's just a shame when threads like this go sideways so quickly because it does discourage and shut down meaningful discourse that actually could be helpful or it gets swamped by gifs, insults and mockery.

EXACTLY! NOWHERE in my post did I agree or disagree with anything said. I just didn't feel the need to be disrespectful and rude. Instead, I offered thanks to the OP for sharing her insight and wish her luck on her journey. There's better ways to handle yourself then to call people names and offer tasteless insults. I think we are all here for the same thing...to get healthy? She's gotten 41 pounds healthier than she was when she joined and for that, I commend her.

I'm pretty sure that the majority of name calling and tasteless insults came from OP. Not those correcting her or asking for substantiated, peer-reviewed evidence to back claims that were contrary to their own knowledge.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    But doesn't that sort of defeat the purpose? To tell someone that they're being disrespectful by being disrespectful yourself (not you personally, but in general)? It seems to me that such people lose all credibility. And there was some mockery and ridicule right off the bat, even if it was lighter than what followed.

I don't see a whole lot disrespect here on par with calling people a retard. I see the usual suspects demanding scientific evidence to support her claims.

Perhaps that's the issue. Some people don't realize that their posts come off in a mocking, insulting way and then are shocked when someone acted defensive.

I'm not justifying the OP's response or her use of certain phrases/words, but it's not like it came out of nowhere because of respectful disagreement. The first reply was a starry bra pic -- do you think that was respectful disagreement? And then it was followed up by posts talking about he *kitten* storm and mocking some of her assertions. C'mon...you can't pretend that's not there, even if it's on the lighter side.

There were more posts asking for citations than there were gifs.
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options

Because we don't want newbies reading and believing it. Eating 8g of protein a day is HARMFUL.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

Encouraging people with incorrect actions for healthy weight loss is bad. Hey, cabbage diet, yea that's good, thanks for telling me that it was a good idea for me to do that. Bit extreme example but essentially what folks here are trying to cull out.
    I for one appreciate it.
    We know everything on the web is true. The preceding statement is false.

But some are doing it in horribly ineffective, counterproductive ways. You can vehemently disagree with someone and still do so in a respectful way.

And what way would that be? Asking for scientific evidence to support your claims?

Didn't see any of that happening.

Nope, that's great. But just do so in a respectful way without all the unnecessary mockery, ridicule and general nastiness.

If a 10 year-old gets his math homework wrong, do you point and laugh and tell him how ridiculous he is? Is that going to encourage him to learn?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options

To prevent noobs or others reading the forums looking for education on weight loss from even considering such misinformation, or applying it to themselves....did I do that right?
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    lmao @ starvation mode, congrats you broke the first law of thermodynamics brb nobel prize

****ing retard

Umm, yeah, you're not much better than the OP with all that.

Agreed. Please stop using that word as an insult, please. and thank you.
    not that i disagree with you in any way about using that word, but there isnt really an insult that can be used without offending anyone (not including whos being insulted)

That may be so, but she could have just called everyone idiots or a*holes. She doesn't have to demean an entire group of people by using that term to insult others and in turn insult people who actually suffer from Mental Retardation. It's wrong and even the people I work with ( which are people who have been diagnosed with mental retardation) know better than to call someone else a retard...

also, this is the only offensive term that bothers me. I'm fun with the B-word, C-word, any creative concotion of derogatory words... lol. just not Retard.

What about F*cktard? I've always enjoyed that one.
  • ZombieEarhart
    ZombieEarhart Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    *forehead slap* It's proven we only need 8 grams of protein a day which is in 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. But I'm not arguing with ignorance... it only proves to be mind numbingly annoying.

Oh, honeychild.
  • sathor
    sathor Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing this "medically proven" and "scientifically proven" statement but where's the science?

It's scientifically proven that MFP needs a sex cardio option.
    I think that is what the housework button was. I did see a person once that made that a custom exercise for themself, and didn't realize that (at the time, not sure if still true) a public food log meant the URL could be changed to view the exercise log as well. There was screwing listed...
  • k_nicole87
    k_nicole87 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    This thread was relatively tame until she started calling people the r-word. At that point, all bets are off.

Yeah if you "facepalm" and call people the r-word while simultaneously insisting that your ridiculous claims are "medically proven" I'm sorry but I have no sympathy for you.

Sure, she went all in rather quickly, but it doesn't negate the original point. Some folks had respectful replies illustrating their disagreement. Others went right for the sarcasm, ridicule and mockery. If you actually want to educate people, encourage meaningful exchanges and minimize the spread of misinformation, the latter isn't going to get it done. The content of the message will be completely lost in the delivery.

Do people really interact like this in their real lives? I just have a hard time imagining that as I think they'd have very few friends, not keep a job and probably get into a good amount of fist fights.

First of all, let me explain a little something to you called the internet. This is a highly social environment away from the niceties of every day life. Thank you for speaking out that someone who does not sugar coat things to perfect strangers must not have a job or friends. I, for one, have a highly formal job where I must keep up a professional appearance at all times. On the internet, I am free to share and express my views in any way I wish and I enjoy being quite a forthright person. If you want to boil down a person who has no name or identity other than an avatar and a screen name, how about you? I would say that, judging by your posts and nothing else, you've been picked on quite a bit. Hence your urgency to defend someone like OP while disregarding the fact that any member with a disabled loved one would be highly hurt by the use of the R word. I'm guessing you are not likely to have many friends and are desperately seeking the approval of others like you, ie: OP who has essentially been outcast from this forum.

The point is that anywhere (such as the internet) where you have a MASS of people from all types of backgrounds, opinions, and behavioral sets (people from different regions handle things differently), you are bound to have a hodge-podge of differing views, most will not be expressed the way you choose to express yours.

I should really save this.
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,067 Member
    Options
    because people who dont know better may follow this like it is true
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options

1. Nutrition.

It went sideways because OP started insulting people who were trying to correct her misinformation. There is no way to have meaningful discourse with a person who doesn't know how to actually debate or cite sources for their assertions.

I don't believe that's accurate. She definitely came back with guns blazing, but I do not believe she was the first to start with the insults, riducule or mockery. That was evident in the very few replies.

Is this really about "they started it"?

OP could have provided sources and not tried to claim her weight loss and happiness were somehow proof of her belief system. She chose to call those asking for that info "monsters". She could have mustarded up the character to say "Oh hey, maybe I got a lot of things wrong". She didn't. I am not going to have a overrun of compassion for somebody like that. Sorry, not sorry.
  • lindsey1979
    Options

1. Nutrition.

Encouraging people with incorrect actions for healthy weight loss is bad. Hey, cabbage diet, yea that's good, thanks for telling me that it was a good idea for me to do that. Bit extreme example but essentially what folks here are trying to cull out.
    I for one appreciate it.
    We know everything on the web is true. The preceding statement is false.

But some are doing it in horribly ineffective, counterproductive ways. You can vehemently disagree with someone and still do so in a respectful way.

Respect is earned, not doled out as a consolation prize.

How about common courtesy then? If not for the other person, then how about just for yourself?
  • SapiensPisces
    SapiensPisces Posts: 992 Member
    Options
    lmao @ starvation mode, congrats you broke the first law of thermodynamics brb nobel prize

****ing retard

Umm, yeah, you're not much better than the OP with all that.

Agreed. Please stop using that word as an insult, please. and thank you.
    not that i disagree with you in any way about using that word, but there isnt really an insult that can be used without offending anyone (not including whos being insulted)

That may be so, but she could have just called everyone idiots or a*holes. She doesn't have to demean an entire group of people by using that term to insult others and in turn insult people who actually suffer from Mental Retardation. It's wrong and even the people I work with ( which are people who have been diagnosed with mental retardation) know better than to call someone else a retard...

also, this is the only offensive term that bothers me. I'm fun with the B-word, C-word, any creative concotion of derogatory words... lol. just not Retard.

What about F*cktard? I've always enjoyed that one.

Douchepickle is my personal favorite.
  • dmenchac
    dmenchac Posts: 447 Member
    Options

It has already been expressed...

To prevent the spread of misinformation to somebody who is new searching the boards for solid advice.

Ok and what is the intention there exactly? Do you actually care if some random noob logs in and gets bad advice?

Or more specifically why do you care about that?

Yes, because bad advice doesn't die, it multiplies.

I would rather sift through legitimate questions on this forum than read these type of threads.
  • HikeCyclist
    HikeCyclist Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Coming from a special ed. teacher; totally not cool to toss around the R word. If she had a child with a mental disability, boy, her choice of words would change for sure. It's ok . . . Karma's a "B."
This discussion has been closed.