Cow's milk is bad?

Options
Recently I stopped drinking cow's milk, first I ditched full cream because it was too 'heavy' and then just gave it up completely in favour of almond milk. IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! Also, there's that myth about pus and blood. I know it's not true but it gets me every time... ugh.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Recently I stopped drinking cow's milk, first I ditched full cream because it was too 'heavy' and then just gave it up completely in favour of almond milk. IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! Also, there's that myth about pus and blood. I know it's not true but it gets me every time... ugh.

Finally, someone who gets it. Dairy is for making baby mammals fat. Congrats for opening your eyes
  • Patzycakes
    Patzycakes Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Good on you.

Kicking milk is the easy part. Cheese however can be tricky.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens turn a 16lb gorilla into a 500lb gorilla. I better stop eating salad.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    kind of depends on what your goals are. If you are trying to bulk up, you want those extra calories and the protein. If you are in maintenance and want to meet calorie goals for the day, it's a good way to do it. If you enjoy milk and want to drink it, you can make it fit into your calorie goals.
    I'm lactose intolerant, and I drink lactose-free whole milk because I have trouble meeting my calorie goals and maintaining my weight. I also want the protein because I lift. I also really like milk.

Different strokes for different folks.
  • Madame_Goldbricker
    Madame_Goldbricker Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    Switch to human breast milk. It's very good for us & can also be used to make ice cream :love:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1360225/Shop-sells-breast-milk-ice-cream-London-restaurant-Icecreamists-Baby-Gaga.html
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    I find cow's milk pretty nasty, and prefer to eat my calories and protein, so I sub almond milk too.

I wouldn't go so far as to say that it's unhealthy, though. In fact, I've heard it argued that the cheap and sustainable access to protein and calcium it provides might have been a factor for cultural success.
  • HerkMeOff
    HerkMeOff Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    jgff.gif
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens turn a 16lb gorilla into a 500lb gorilla. I better stop eating salad.

Damn, I never thought of that. I just had salad with supper….
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    Love it.

th_zpse16c2f5b.jpg
  • denizfindigi
    Options
    What I aim for when I think of nutrition is thinking how people would have done it before all this technology - in a way I think that is what we are supposed to do.

Would they drink milk? - Yes they would. (I went to Kenya and met tribes men even they were drinking milk)
    Would they drink as much as we do? - No. ABSOLUTELY NOT.

So do not give diary up all together. There are good nutrients in it - do not also live depending too much on diary / put a limit to yourself.

It worked for me and I hope it works for you too..

(I have tried quitting everything to find physical and mental balance, I tried being a vegan, raw vegan, vegetarian etc. for relatively long periods of time each)

I have decided that the best for me is to become a pollotarian -
    You have to listen to your body when you do these things. It will give you the answers to what it needs.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    Just drink whatever you want, but drink it because you like it. Everyone has his or her own opinion.

2-11-drunk-hanna.gif?w=500&h=260
  • SomeNights246
    SomeNights246 Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    It's bad if you're allergic to it or lactose intolerant.

If not, drink it or don't drink it. Doesn't matter.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    It's bad if you're allergic to it or lactose intolerant.

If not, drink it or don't drink it. Doesn't matter.

I'm lactose intolerant and I drink it daily - they sell it lactose free now.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Finally, someone who gets it. Dairy is for making baby mammals fat. Congrats for opening your eyes

th?id=HN.608000067397421065&pid=1.7
  • AwesomeGuy37
    AwesomeGuy37 Posts: 436 Member
    Options

th?id=HN.608000067397421065&pid=1.7

I am wondering too.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I like almond milk in my coffee and sub it out to save calories in some dessert recipes. Milk isn't bad for you though, although that's a popular MFP myth people like to spout on here. In fact I sure your trolling right now with your op. Raw milk has excellent health benefits and most people who are lactose intolerant have no problems drinking raw milk. Most of the benefits of milk are lost in the pasteurization process. That's why calves often don't survive when fed pasteurized milk. I'm sure someone will chime in in how bad it is for you momentarily....
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options

But almond milk tastes like *kitten*.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    Options
    How many other mammals drink animal milk past a very young age?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    How many other mammals drink animal milk past a very young age?

How many animals cook their food?
  • mccindy72
    Options

I like almond milk in my coffee and sub it out to save calories in some dessert recipes. Milk isn't bad for you though, although that's a popular MFP myth people like to spout on here. In fact I sure your trolling right now with your op. Raw milk has excellent health benefits and most people who are lactose intolerant have no problems drinking raw milk. Most of the benefits of milk are lost in the pasteurization process. That's why calves often don't survive when fed pasteurized milk. I'm sure someone will chime in in how bad it is for you momentarily....

I was right there with you until you tried to say that people who are lactose intolerant can drink raw milk - that's not true. Raw milk is very hard for the lactose intolerant to drink, it's very high in lactose.