Cow's milk is bad?

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Recently I stopped drinking cow's milk, first I ditched full cream because it was too 'heavy' and then just gave it up completely in favour of almond milk. IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! Also, there's that myth about pus and blood. I know it's not true but it gets me every time... ugh.

I like almond milk in my coffee and sub it out to save calories in some dessert recipes. Milk isn't bad for you though, although that's a popular MFP myth people like to spout on here. In fact I sure your trolling right now with your op. Raw milk has excellent health benefits and most people who are lactose intolerant have no problems drinking raw milk. Most of the benefits of milk are lost in the pasteurization process. That's why calves often don't survive when fed pasteurized milk. I'm sure someone will chime in in how bad it is for you momentarily....

Eh. I fed my kids raw human milk and frozen human milk. Many of the benefits were lost during the freezing process, but I wouldn't say most. However, raw milk is an effective topical antibiotic (anti-viral agent as well)

my-brain-just-went-what-the-hell.gif
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    No, cows milk isn't bad. I give it to my young children everyday, and I eat cottage cheese, and yogurt most days. I choose almond milk for my cereal and coffee because it's calcium rich and low in calories.
  • MagnumBurrito
    MagnumBurrito Posts: 1,070 Member
    How many other mammals drink animal milk past a very young age?

How many have that option?

A lot of adult male animals, lions, apes, cats, could if they wanted to.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member

Ok I'll bite. I'm an adult male lion, where do I get my milk if I want some? Whole Foods or Publix?
  • MagnumBurrito

Ok I'll bite. I'm an adult male lion, where do I get my milk if I want some? Whole Foods or Publix?

The harem of female lions you're protecting.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Mammals lactate for as long as they are suckled, so hypothetically any mammal that forms a semi-permanent bond with a female that has been pregnant at least once can continue drinking milk.
  • rm33064
    rm33064 Posts: 270 Member

What just pin her down and suck a tittie? Me thinks she may protest too much....
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member

A lioness reprimands an older cub who tries to suckle. I doubt they would allow an adult male to suckle.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Recently I stopped drinking cow's milk, first I ditched full cream because it was too 'heavy' and then just gave it up completely in favour of almond milk. IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! Also, there's that myth about pus and blood. I know it's not true but it gets me every time... ugh.

I like almond milk in my coffee and sub it out to save calories in some dessert recipes. Milk isn't bad for you though, although that's a popular MFP myth people like to spout on here. In fact I sure your trolling right now with your op. Raw milk has excellent health benefits and most people who are lactose intolerant have no problems drinking raw milk. Most of the benefits of milk are lost in the pasteurization process. That's why calves often don't survive when fed pasteurized milk. I'm sure someone will chime in in how bad it is for you momentarily....

Eh. I fed my kids raw human milk and frozen human milk. Many of the benefits were lost during the freezing process, but I wouldn't say most. However, raw milk is an effective topical antibiotic (anti-viral agent as well)

That's actually true. Human breastmilk is awesome like that, I've used it many times on my own kids for conjunctivitis when they were babies.
  • MagnumBurrito

What just pin her down and suck a tittie? Me thinks she may protest too much....

Rape happens all the time in the animal kingdom. If they wanted some milk, they'd gang up if they had a problem one on one.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    People used to raise their eyebrows because I breast fed him till he was almost 5. And I say, well... you just look at the results: I've raised a sensitive devoted boy, who has turn into a sensitive devoted man.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Good for you, OP, this helps keeps prices down for the rest of us. Now, please also make sure that you give up lobster, prime rib, and expensive real estate . . .

lol
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member

I like to think of my lactose tolerance as a genetic gift that means I was meant to consume dairy as an adult. It would be unnatural to squander it.

Okay, not really, but when the argument turns to nature doesn't the fact that many of us are lactose tolerant mean it's natural for us? Also, clever humans, always with the ideas about what might be tasty and sustaining.
  • wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member

Rape happens all the time in the animal kingdom. If they wanted some milk, they'd gang up if they had a problem one on one.

Just went to your website. I am no longer surprised at your answers.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    People used to raise their eyebrows because I breast fed him till he was almost 5. And I say, well... you just look at the results: I've raised a sensitive devoted boy, who has turn into a sensitive devoted man.

My cousin did that too. Her nipples were also sore all the time from a huge boy with full set of teeth climbing on her lap lifting her shirt up.

He always was into grown folks business too if I recall.

Different strokes, for different folks.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member

Mine too!
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member

Even human lose the ability to latch on between the ages of five and seven.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Mammals lactate for as long as they are suckled, so hypothetically any mammal that forms a semi-permanent bond with a female that has been pregnant at least once can continue drinking milk.

Except for the fact that eventually you lose your latch reflex.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member

tumblr_m7qoofAwvx1rvzwqko4_250_zpscdb730d5.gif
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,137 Member

Yes, it makes sense now. Derp in action.