Cow's milk is bad?

Options

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Recently I stopped drinking cow's milk, first I ditched full cream because it was too 'heavy' and then just gave it up completely in favour of almond milk. IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! Also, there's that myth about pus and blood. I know it's not true but it gets me every time... ugh.

I like almond milk in my coffee and sub it out to save calories in some dessert recipes. Milk isn't bad for you though, although that's a popular MFP myth people like to spout on here. In fact I sure your trolling right now with your op. Raw milk has excellent health benefits and most people who are lactose intolerant have no problems drinking raw milk. Most of the benefits of milk are lost in the pasteurization process. That's why calves often don't survive when fed pasteurized milk. I'm sure someone will chime in in how bad it is for you momentarily....

Eh. I fed my kids raw human milk and frozen human milk. Many of the benefits were lost during the freezing process, but I wouldn't say most. However, raw milk is an effective topical antibiotic (anti-viral agent as well)

my-brain-just-went-what-the-hell.gif

That's actually true. Human breastmilk is awesome like that, I've used it many times on my own kids for conjunctivitis when they were babies.

I wondered for a long time...you know all those stories of famous beauties bathing in milk? Was there actually benefit from the immune factors as well as the oils and fats?
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Recently I stopped drinking cow's milk, first I ditched full cream because it was too 'heavy' and then just gave it up completely in favour of almond milk. IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! Also, there's that myth about pus and blood. I know it's not true but it gets me every time... ugh.

I like almond milk in my coffee and sub it out to save calories in some dessert recipes. Milk isn't bad for you though, although that's a popular MFP myth people like to spout on here. In fact I sure your trolling right now with your op. Raw milk has excellent health benefits and most people who are lactose intolerant have no problems drinking raw milk. Most of the benefits of milk are lost in the pasteurization process. That's why calves often don't survive when fed pasteurized milk. I'm sure someone will chime in in how bad it is for you momentarily....

Eh. I fed my kids raw human milk and frozen human milk. Many of the benefits were lost during the freezing process, but I wouldn't say most. However, raw milk is an effective topical antibiotic (anti-viral agent as well)

Many but not most huh? Kinda splitting hairs if you ask me. Anyways freezing is the opposite of pasteurizing so I wouldn't try to compare the effects of the two.
    Donated breast milk is pasteurized, and many hospitals feel this is a better option than formula for mothers who are unable to lactate or cannot produce enough milk to sustain their child. The NIH is currently conducting a trial for which is more effective for premies: http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01534481?term=milk+trial&rank=1
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    How many other mammals drink animal milk past a very young age?

How many have that option?

A lot of adult male animals, lions, apes, cats, could if they wanted to.

Ok I'll bite. I'm an adult male lion, where do I get my milk if I want some? Whole Foods or Publix?

The harem of female lions you're protecting.

What just pin her down and suck a tittie? Me thinks she may protest too much....

Rape happens all the time in the animal kingdom. If they wanted some milk, they'd gang up if they had a problem one on one.

inconclusive...the male lion can also just eat one of the cubs she is nursing much more easily...
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    How many other mammals drink animal milk past a very young age?

How many have that option?

A lot of adult male animals, lions, apes, cats, could if they wanted to.

Ok I'll bite. I'm an adult male lion, where do I get my milk if I want some? Whole Foods or Publix?

The harem of female lions you're protecting.

What just pin her down and suck a tittie? Me thinks she may protest too much....

Rape happens all the time in the animal kingdom. If they wanted some milk, they'd gang up if they had a problem one on one.

inconclusive...the male lion can also just eat one of the cubs she is nursing much more easily...

Also, it would be counterproductive to the propagation of the species. It doesn't happen because if the adults started taking the nutrients from the cubs, the species would quickly die out. If a male lion takes over a pride, killing or running off the previous male, he will kill the young cubs that already exist. That way the females come into heat sooner and he can get them pregnant with his genetics. If that instinct is so strong, he's not going to turn around and start taking the milk from those same cubs he just expended so much effort to create.

Well, this thread is totally derailed. At least it's more interesting now. The dairy debate is a bit overdone.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    We need to find a way to farm and milk blue whales. The milk is probably much higher in omega 3's anyway...
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

my-brain-just-went-what-the-hell.gif

That's actually true. Human breastmilk is awesome like that, I've used it many times on my own kids for conjunctivitis when they were babies.

I wondered for a long time...you know all those stories of famous beauties bathing in milk? Was there actually benefit from the immune factors as well as the oils and fats?

It's much better to bathe in the blood of thine enemies . . .

All those anti-aging effects and what not. Or, if you're a vampire.
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Cows milk is awful........................if it is spoiled.
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Depends. Has the cow dallied with the dark arts?
    4150.jpg
  • perseverance14
    perseverance14 Posts: 1,364 Member
    Options
    I eat low fat dairy with no problem, but I like almond milk too.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    We need to find a way to farm and milk blue whales. The milk is probably much higher in omega 3's anyway...

Brilliant idea.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    Congrats
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Almond milk is for baby almonds
  • likitisplit
    Options

Actually, that's true.
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Baby almonds are tasty.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Baby almonds are tasty.

almond sprouts? I bet they would be.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    derailed_by_isthedodge-d4jjx5p.gif
  • likitisplit
    Options
    OP said that they stopped drinking cow's milk in favor of almond milk because they think it isn't "good" for us, without defining "good" or offering any support. This thread never had any rails.
  • Strokingdiction
    Strokingdiction Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    OP said that they stopped drinking cow's milk in favor of almond milk because they think it isn't "good" for us, without defining "good" or offering any support. This thread never had any rails.

Good point.
  • jason_adams
    jason_adams Posts: 187 Member
    Options

Good point.

What ? You haven't defined good, or offered any support. You looking to continue running without rails???

[/smiley sarcasm]
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    h9C01EF6E

Which is why I prefer drinking Bull's milk.