Cow's milk is bad?

Options
14567810»

Replies

• ChaplainHeavin
    ChaplainHeavin Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens turn a 16lb gorilla into a 500lb gorilla. I better stop eating salad.

Sometimes common sense is not too common. I love this post:)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Good points made about bok choy and raw milk. Thanks :)

That, and snarkiness, is what we're all about!

Did I sound like I was being snarky? That was a sincere comment...

Not you. "We" meant MFP: great at providing interesting tips, some real solid information, a lot of random opinions, poorly spelled diatribes, and smart aleck comments.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    Good points made about bok choy and raw milk. Thanks :)

That, and snarkiness, is what we're all about!

Did I sound like I was being snarky? That was a sincere comment...

I believe the poster who wrote "snarkiness" was describing herself in a tongue in cheek manner. She is mean because she provides advice when asked about things she knows. This is indicative of "mean" people on MFP. Yes, more TIC.....next caller....

When I'm providing advice, I try to be pretty nice and meet the person where they are at. However, if you read this thread, you'll see that I'm not always providing advice.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    "IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! "

That's 2200+ pounds. Dear God. And a 2200 pound cow most certainly would not still be breastfeeding. If they are, I would hate to see the size of the mothers.

PS cows eat grass.

That's it. I'm not eating vegetables any more. Did you know that elephants are strictly vegetarian too!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    i was told that our bodies cant cope with the enzymes in cows milk...i drink coconut milk :)
    that's not milk- that's water. or juice. just as almond milk isn't milk. You can't milk a nut.
    Meh, languages are dynamic and change according to usage. The notion of nut milks has caught on, so...

pan-with-it.gif
  • mike_ny
    mike_ny Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Organic milk doesn't contain pesticides.
    I don't think that pesticide use or content is part of any organic milk standard.

There are too many definitions for organic as it is, and big food companies and food outlets keep trying to weaken them even more so that can call whatever they want organic as a marketing trick. There's a wide range between organic and certified organic. One does have to read the label. Saying something is made from organic whatever doesn't mean the final product is organic. It's like the whole grain breads that use white flour as the primary ingredient.

I buy a few brands of organic milk and yogurt here in the northeast and all of them comply with the strictest meaning of being pesticide free as well as BGH free and no antibiotics. I think they also all don't include any GMOs when they do use feed. For vegetables it's easy. You either use or have used pesticides In that field or not. Pasture raised dairy should also be straightforward in the same way. Where it gets sticky is using feed or hay that may or may not be certified as organic. The smaller farms usually know where their hay and feed is coming from, but the big ones may not or don't care.
  • brianpperkins
    brianpperkins Posts: 6,124 Member
    Options
    i was told that our bodies cant cope with the enzymes in cows milk...i drink coconut milk :)
    that's not milk- that's water. or juice. just as almond milk isn't milk. You can't milk a nut.
    Meh, languages are dynamic and change according to usage. The notion of nut milks has caught on, so...

pan-with-it.gif

Just because if enough people are wrong it becomes accepted does not change that they are wrong.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    How many other mammals drink animal milk past a very young age?

How many have that option?

A lot of adult male animals, lions, apes, cats, could if they wanted to.

Ok I'll bite. I'm an adult male lion, where do I get my milk if I want some? Whole Foods or Publix?

The harem of female lions you're protecting.

What just pin her down and suck a tittie? Me thinks she may protest too much....

Rape happens all the time in the animal kingdom. If they wanted some milk, they'd gang up if they had a problem one on one.

This is one of the most bizarre series of responses I've read on this website.

Anyway, yeah, a lot of animals don't drink milk after infancy because 1) It's impossible/highly difficult/impractical to obtain, 2) most cannot digest lactose after infancy. Fortunately, humans developed a mutation some many thousand years ago that allowed them to digest milk forever. If you're not lactose intolerant, there's no reason (barring some other medical issue) not to drink milk. Have at it.

"This is one of the most bizarre series of responses I've read on this website. "

LOLOLOL hahahahahahahha..... I see weird responses ALL THE TIME!!! My humor is wayyyyy different than most on here! Lol!!!
  • Mygsds
    Mygsds Posts: 1,564 Member
    Options

I was told that the pyramids were built by aliens

:laugh: :laugh:
  • Mygsds
    Options

^^^^ this!!

FFS you're not drinking milk in the same quantities that a baby cow is drinking it in!! Log the calories and stay within your calorie goal and it won't make you fat. It will provide you with lots of protein, fat soluble vitamins and calcium which is a good thing. Baby cows don't get big and fat due to any magical properties in the milk, they get big and fat because calories in v calories out, i.e. consuming milk in sufficient quantities to take in the necessary calories to grow to that size. Just like every other baby mammal. And the same principle applies to all baby animals, although the source of food isn't milk in non-mammals. Baby animals grow bigger because they take in enough calories to not only keep all their cells alive and fuel their activities, but also enough calories to grow bigger.

The only food that is naturally specifically made for humans is breast milk. And humans can only live exclusively off breast milk for 6-9 months, and after that they need other foods as well. All other foods that humans eat don't grow for the sole purpose of being eaten... they grow and live to survive and breed and really would rather not be eaten by any animal. However, the animal kingdom evolved that way, i.e. needing to eat other living organisms, due to being unable to photosynthesise, while being able to move around and eat stuff instead. So the suggestion that humans shouldn't eat anything that wasn't made for humans to eat means we'd all die of malnutrition. And as for breast milk, the mother needs to eat foods that are not breast milk in order to be able to make milk in the first place. So human nutrition, just like the rest of the animal kingdom, depends on eating other living things, almost none of which were intended for the consumption of animals (some plants capitalise on this for seed dispersal by producing fruits, but pretty much every other food isn't like that). And animals adapt and evolve to suit the food that's available to them, not the other way around. The other way around is the route to extinction. And it's been demonstrated scientifically that some human populations have recently (i.e in the last 10,000 years or so) evolved the ability to digest non-human animal milks, i.e. doing what everything else in the animal kingdom has done for the last 600 million years and adapting to what food's available to them. Which is why people descended from dairy farming/herding populations usually don't suffer from lactose intolerance, but those from populations with no history of dairy farming/herding frequently do. So the take home message is don't drink milk if you're lactose intolerant, but if milk doesn't make you ill and you like to drink it then there's no reason to not drink it. Just log the calories and stay within your calorie goal....

This...exactly
  • Mygsds
    Options
    dogs probably can though because they're omnivores. My cousins used to have a German shepherd that was intolerant to meat (I think he was lacking an enzyme or something) and his favourite food was lettuce sandwiches. My auntie used to have fun walking him, and when people crossed the road on seeing them approach (he was a pretty big dog) my auntie would say "don't worry! he's a vegetarian!"
    [/quote]
    Wow.. Wish my sheps were vegetarians...
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    jgff.gif

Exactly!!!
  • eaglefish
    eaglefish Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Recently I stopped drinking cow's milk, first I ditched full cream because it was too 'heavy' and then just gave it up completely in favour of almond milk. IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! Also, there's that myth about pus and blood. I know it's not true but it gets me every time... ugh.

Hmmm No not really.. The young animal stops nursing after a relatively short time & starts eating grass & available grains. Their biggest weight gain period is when they are grazing or eating grains. So technically it's the grass & grains that make them "heaviest" & not milk from momma cow.
  • Mygsds
    Options
    [

I live in the country, I see female cows humping each other and having the odd occasional udder... Fully grown cows, having milk from another fully grown cow..... Also seen other animals helping themselves 0.o
    [/quote]

Raised on a farm and the reason cows are humping other cows is because they are in heat(horny)... Lol sorry didn't know if everyone knew what ... In heat meant..as far as other animals helping themselves... Don't think so. Please give examples
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Organic milk doesn't contain pesticides.
    I don't think that pesticide use or content is part of any organic milk standard.

There are too many definitions for organic as it is, and big food companies and food outlets keep trying to weaken them even more so that can call whatever they want organic as a marketing trick. There's a wide range between organic and certified organic. One does have to read the label. Saying something is made from organic whatever doesn't mean the final product is organic. It's like the whole grain breads that use white flour as the primary ingredient.

I buy a few brands of organic milk and yogurt here in the northeast and all of them comply with the strictest meaning of being pesticide free as well as BGH free and no antibiotics. I think they also all don't include any GMOs when they do use feed. For vegetables it's easy. You either use or have used pesticides In that field or not. Pasture raised dairy should also be straightforward in the same way. Where it gets sticky is using feed or hay that may or may not be certified as organic. The smaller farms usually know where their hay and feed is coming from, but the big ones may not or don't care.
    Organic does not mean pesticide free. http://www.thekitchn.com/why-organic-doesnt-mean-pestic-149459
  • wannalose25
    wannalose25 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    i wonder if Kenyan's feed hormones and anitbiotics to their cows. it's the processing that makes it unhealthy to consume.
  • shawmutt
    shawmutt Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    It's the processing that makes it healthy to consume.

http://www.fda.gov/Food/ResourcesForYou/consumers/ucm079516.htm
    raw milk can harbor dangerous microorganisms that can pose serious health risks to you and your family. According to an analysis by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), between 1993 and 2006 more than 1500 people in the United States became sick from drinking raw milk or eating cheese made from raw milk. In addition, CDC reported that unpasteurized milk is 150 times more likely to cause foodborne illness and results in 13 times more hospitalizations than illnesses involving pasteurized dairy products.

Raw milk is milk from cows, sheep, or goats that has not been pasteurized to kill harmful bacteria. This raw, unpasteurized milk can carry dangerous bacteria such as Salmonella, E. coli, and Listeria, which are responsible for causing numerous foodborne illnesses.

These harmful bacteria can seriously affect the health of anyone who drinks raw milk, or eats foods made from raw milk. However, the bacteria in raw milk can be especially dangerous to people with weakened immune systems, older adults, pregnant women, and children. In fact, the CDC analysis found that foodborne illness from raw milk especially affected children and teenagers.