Cow's milk is bad?

Options

Replies

• mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens turn a 16lb gorilla into a 500lb gorilla. I better stop eating salad.

^^^^ this!!

FFS you're not drinking milk in the same quantities that a baby cow is drinking it in!! Log the calories and stay within your calorie goal and it won't make you fat. It will provide you with lots of protein, fat soluble vitamins and calcium which is a good thing. Baby cows don't get big and fat due to any magical properties in the milk, they get big and fat because calories in v calories out, i.e. consuming milk in sufficient quantities to take in the necessary calories to grow to that size. Just like every other baby mammal. And the same principle applies to all baby animals, although the source of food isn't milk in non-mammals. Baby animals grow bigger because they take in enough calories to not only keep all their cells alive and fuel their activities, but also enough calories to grow bigger.

The only food that is naturally specifically made for humans is breast milk. And humans can only live exclusively off breast milk for 6-9 months, and after that they need other foods as well. All other foods that humans eat don't grow for the sole purpose of being eaten... they grow and live to survive and breed and really would rather not be eaten by any animal. However, the animal kingdom evolved that way, i.e. needing to eat other living organisms, due to being unable to photosynthesise, while being able to move around and eat stuff instead. So the suggestion that humans shouldn't eat anything that wasn't made for humans to eat means we'd all die of malnutrition. And as for breast milk, the mother needs to eat foods that are not breast milk in order to be able to make milk in the first place. So human nutrition, just like the rest of the animal kingdom, depends on eating other living things, almost none of which were intended for the consumption of animals (some plants capitalise on this for seed dispersal by producing fruits, but pretty much every other food isn't like that). And animals adapt and evolve to suit the food that's available to them, not the other way around. The other way around is the route to extinction. And it's been demonstrated scientifically that some human populations have recently (i.e in the last 10,000 years or so) evolved the ability to digest non-human animal milks, i.e. doing what everything else in the animal kingdom has done for the last 600 million years and adapting to what food's available to them. Which is why people descended from dairy farming/herding populations usually don't suffer from lactose intolerance, but those from populations with no history of dairy farming/herding frequently do. So the take home message is don't drink milk if you're lactose intolerant, but if milk doesn't make you ill and you like to drink it then there's no reason to not drink it. Just log the calories and stay within your calorie goal....

You're so sensible.
  • KseRz
    KseRz Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Recently I stopped drinking cow's milk, first I ditched full cream because it was too 'heavy' and then just gave it up completely in favour of almond milk. IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! Also, there's that myth about pus and blood. I know it's not true but it gets me every time... ugh.

But almond milk tastes like *kitten*.
    I still drink cow's milk so I don't have an axe to grind on this but the vanilla almond milk is much better than the "plain" almond milk. Just an FYI.

Ice cream tastes better when I add Snickers Bars, Reeses Cups, Carmel, Hot Fudge, Peanut Butter, and Marshmallow Fluff too.

Perhaps I should try that with coconut water?

I'd put it on the coconut milk girl, above.

I want to hear more about this please.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    In an effort to tie all of this together, should lions drink coconut milk so they don't get worms?

probably not because cats are carnivores.

dogs probably can though because they're omnivores. My cousins used to have a German shepherd that was intolerant to meat (I think he was lacking an enzyme or something) and his favourite food was lettuce sandwiches. My auntie used to have fun walking him, and when people crossed the road on seeing them approach (he was a pretty big dog) my auntie would say "don't worry! he's a vegetarian!"

I guess we have rails now.
  • PurpleCupcakes01
    Options
    You can try drinking human milk. Considering that my 6 month old is 25lbs , human milk may not be a good idea either lol.
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Leafy greens turn a 16lb gorilla into a 500lb gorilla. I better stop eating salad.

^^^^ this!!

FFS you're not drinking milk in the same quantities that a baby cow is drinking it in!! Log the calories and stay within your calorie goal and it won't make you fat. It will provide you with lots of protein, fat soluble vitamins and calcium which is a good thing. Baby cows don't get big and fat due to any magical properties in the milk, they get big and fat because calories in v calories out, i.e. consuming milk in sufficient quantities to take in the necessary calories to grow to that size. Just like every other baby mammal. And the same principle applies to all baby animals, although the source of food isn't milk in non-mammals. Baby animals grow bigger because they take in enough calories to not only keep all their cells alive and fuel their activities, but also enough calories to grow bigger.

The only food that is naturally specifically made for humans is breast milk. And humans can only live exclusively off breast milk for 6-9 months, and after that they need other foods as well. All other foods that humans eat don't grow for the sole purpose of being eaten... they grow and live to survive and breed and really would rather not be eaten by any animal. However, the animal kingdom evolved that way, i.e. needing to eat other living organisms, due to being unable to photosynthesise, while being able to move around and eat stuff instead. So the suggestion that humans shouldn't eat anything that wasn't made for humans to eat means we'd all die of malnutrition. And as for breast milk, the mother needs to eat foods that are not breast milk in order to be able to make milk in the first place. So human nutrition, just like the rest of the animal kingdom, depends on eating other living things, almost none of which were intended for the consumption of animals (some plants capitalise on this for seed dispersal by producing fruits, but pretty much every other food isn't like that). And animals adapt and evolve to suit the food that's available to them, not the other way around. The other way around is the route to extinction. And it's been demonstrated scientifically that some human populations have recently (i.e in the last 10,000 years or so) evolved the ability to digest non-human animal milks, i.e. doing what everything else in the animal kingdom has done for the last 600 million years and adapting to what food's available to them. Which is why people descended from dairy farming/herding populations usually don't suffer from lactose intolerance, but those from populations with no history of dairy farming/herding frequently do. So the take home message is don't drink milk if you're lactose intolerant, but if milk doesn't make you ill and you like to drink it then there's no reason to not drink it. Just log the calories and stay within your calorie goal....

I've been thinking this very thing a lot every time someone says "milk is meant for baby cows," but I think you articulated it a lot better than I could have. Thanks!
  • PurpleZeal
    PurpleZeal Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    When I stopped consuming all dairy, my debilitating migraines went away. I tried consuming dairy again, the migraines came back. I did this several times to be sure. I finally gave up milk permanently, I have not had migraines since. (Full disclosure, I have been a vegetarian for several years, so I guess now that makes me a vegan)
    My friend had a disgusting pimply rash all over his chest, he gave up dairy completely, and the rash went away. He also went back on dairy and the rash came back, so then he went off dairy again, and the rash went away.
    These are 100% true stories.

I have been weaned from my own mothers breast now for many years, why should I suck on the breast of another species, it just doesn't make sense. I realized I have been brain washed by the dairy industry. Many people in rural China and other countries do not drink milk at all. They seem just fine. We don't "need" cows milk.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    When I stopped consuming all dairy, my debilitating migraines went away. I tried consuming dairy again, the migraines came back. I did this several times to be sure. I finally gave up milk permanently, I have not had migraines since. (Full disclosure, I have been a vegetarian for several years, so I guess now that makes me a vegan)
    My friend had a disgusting pimply rash all over his chest, he gave up dairy completely, and the rash went away. He also went back on dairy and the rash came back, so then he went off dairy again, and the rash went away.

I have been weaned from my own mothers breast now for many years, why should I suck on the breast of another species, it just doesn't make sense. I realized I have been brain washed by the dairy industry. Many people in rural China and other countries do not drink milk at all. They seem just fine. We don't "need" cows milk.

We don't "need" donuts.

We don't "need" peaches.

We don't "need" peanut butter.
  • SophieA9083
    SophieA9083 Posts: 63
    Options
    How many other mammals drink animal milk past a very young age?

How many have that option?
    I live in the country, I see female cows humping each other and having the odd occasional udder... Fully grown cows, having milk from another fully grown cow..... Also seen other animals helping themselves 0.o
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options

I live in the country, I see female cows humping each other and having the odd occasional udder... Fully grown cows, having milk from another fully grown cow..... Also seen other animals helping themselves 0.o

dwight.jpg?w=487
  • aldenxnedla
    aldenxnedla Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    It's not "bad". It's just not as good as it's always been hyped up to be. Every nutrient available in high quantities in milk (which are really only calcium and vitamins A and D) are available in other foods that are better for you. The confounding factor, so to speak, in cow's milk, even if you get the skim (fat free) version, is lactose. Lactose is a sugar - that's all it is. Almost everyone will develop some degree of lactose intolerance as they age, because mammals don't naturally produce enough lactase - the enzyme that converts lactose into glucose - throughout their life, because mammals aren't conditioned to drink milk after infancy. Some people will continue to produce the lactase enzyme longer than others, and some cow's milk now comes with the lactase enzyme already added (this is what "lactose-free milk" is), but either way, lactose is converted into glucose either before or after it enters the body. If you are lactose-intolerant, there will be the byproduct of methane gas, which we all know what that results in.

The best alternative to milk, at least in my opinion, is almond milk. Very high and "complete" (complex) protein, very healthy fats, and, if you get the unsweetened kind, no sugar whatsoever. Soy milk has been the popular alternative for a long time, but the health benefits of soy have also been played up to a ridiculous extent. It is the singularly most mucous-producing food consumed by humans, and the protein it offers is not a complete one. Vitamins A and D are added to cow's milk - not naturally occurring - and there are many other foods that provide these vitamins. The best alternative for calcium to cow's milk is, believe it or not, spinach. Spinach is one of the best "superfoods" out there. You have to eat a lot of it to equal the calcium content in cow's milk, but one thing you can try is blending large quantities of it into a fruit smoothie - it's mild taste renders it almost undetectable when mixed with fruit, and you still get all the health benefits. If you're concerned about nutrient-deficiency, you can always take supplements. But the body can absorb them from foods the best. Make sure to drink plenty of water to help the be absorbed into your bloodstream efficiently.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    Options
    We don't need dairy in our diets. But I'll be damned if I'm giving up yogurt, cheese and ice cream.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • likitisplit
    Options
    It's not "bad". It's just not as good as it's always been hyped up to be. Every nutrient available in high quantities in milk (which are really only calcium and vitamins A and D) are available in other foods that are better for you. The confounding factor, so to speak, in cow's milk, even if you get the skim (fat free) version, is lactose. Lactose is a sugar - that's all it is. Almost everyone will develop some degree of lactose intolerance as they age, because mammals don't naturally produce enough lactase - the enzyme that converts lactose into glucose - throughout their life, because mammals aren't conditioned to drink milk after infancy. Some people will continue to produce the lactase enzyme longer than others, and some cow's milk now comes with the lactase enzyme already added (this is what "lactose-free milk" is), but either way, lactose is converted into glucose either before or after it enters the body. If you are lactose-intolerant, there will be the byproduct of methane gas, which we all know what that results in.

The best alternative to milk, at least in my opinion, is almond milk. Very high and "complete" (complex) protein, very healthy fats, and, if you get the unsweetened kind, no sugar whatsoever. Soy milk has been the popular alternative for a long time, but the health benefits of soy have also been played up to a ridiculous extent. It is the singularly most mucous-producing food consumed by humans, and the protein it offers is not a complete one. Vitamins A and D are added to cow's milk - not naturally occurring - and there are many other foods that provide these vitamins. The best alternative for calcium to cow's milk is, believe it or not, spinach. Spinach is one of the best "superfoods" out there. You have to eat a lot of it to equal the calcium content in cow's milk, but one thing you can try is blending large quantities of it into a fruit smoothie - it's mild taste renders it almost undetectable when mixed with fruit, and you still get all the health benefits. If you're concerned about nutrient-deficiency, you can always take supplements. But the body can absorb them from foods the best. Make sure to drink plenty of water to help the be absorbed into your bloodstream efficiently.

Well, it's got protein and sugars and fat, which makes it a great exercise recovery drink.

The problem with the calcium in spinach is that it's not really bio-available due to the oxalic acid. Bok choy is a much better alternative.
  • likitisplit
    Options

This supports my orgy theory.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

that's true about any enzyme as well.... and bile. And even stomach acid for some people. As you age your body doesn't work so well. That doesn't mean young people should stop eating foods. My grandmother has a long list of food intolerances, and my mother (her daughter) is starting to develop some of them... really, I should avoid all the foods that my grandmother can't eat? What's the point in that? I'll eat them for as long as my digestive system can handle them.....

additionally, if you stop eating a particular food, your body will start to produce less of the enzymes needed to digest it. Giving up food for fear of developing an intolerance can then become a self-fulfilling prophecy. (note: this is why vegetarians sometimes get sick if they suddenly eat a lot of meat after years of not eating it)

humans from dairy herding populations have evolved the ability to digest lactose as adults, because of natural selection. This is the exact same process that every other animal has evolved to be able to digest any other food for as long as animals have existed. Because there's no other way for animals to become adapted to any diet except by natural selection. They eat the food available, those that thrive on that food survive and breed, those that don't thrive don't leave so many copies of their genes in the next generation... after several generations of this, you have a population that's adapted to eating the food that's available. Repeat this constantly throughout the entire time that animals have existed... including when dairy farming/herding populations underwent food shortages and those that could digest milk survived the food shortage by drinking milk and those that couldn't starved to death, thus leaving a population where most of the individuals in it can digest lactose as adults...

there is no food that is perfectly adapted to any animal, because other living things don't grow in order to be food for animals. they get eaten because that's how animals survive... they eat what's available for them. Life is dynamic, and nothing is ever perfectly adapted for any ecological niche... because the environment is dynamic and constantly changing. A lot of the food that our ancestors ate is now extinct. Same for any other animal.

the idea that humans who have the lactase persistance gene shouldn't drink milk because other humans don't have this gene or because drinking the milk of other animals is comparatively rare is silly. If you have the lactase persistence gene then you have an evolutionary adaptation for drinking the milk of other animals as an adult, therefore milk is a safe and suitable food for you to drink and there's no reason not to drink it.
  • cmcollins001
    cmcollins001 Posts: 3,472 Member
    Options

We don't "need" donuts.

We don't "need" peaches.

Now you're just being mean.
  • akh1981
    akh1981 Posts: 67 Member
    Options

Another 100% true story: peaches will kill you. I know this because I ate one one time, and it made my throat swell shut and I almost died.
    Yet another 100% true story: humans should also not eat avocados because they make my tongue swell up and go numb.

Edited to say: antecdotes about someone's intolerance to something doesn't mean that an entire species shouldn't consume it.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options

This supports my orgy theory.

humans are most closely related to bonobos. bonobos' evolutionary niche appears to be the orgy.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options

Another 100% true story: peaches will kill you. I know this because I ate one one time, and it made my throat swell shut and I almost died.
    Yet another 100% true story: humans should also not eat avocados because they make my tongue swell up and go numb.

I once tripped over a blueberry bush. Those things are deadly.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member
    Options

We don't "need" donuts.

We don't "need" peaches.

I'm sorry but I think I really really do "need" peanut butter!!......and wine :happy:
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    Recently I stopped drinking cow's milk, first I ditched full cream because it was too 'heavy' and then just gave it up completely in favour of almond milk. IMHO, milk was designed to make a 100 kg calf into a 1000 kg cow. Not good for us! Also, there's that myth about pus and blood. I know it's not true but it gets me every time... ugh.

I like almond milk in my coffee and sub it out to save calories in some dessert recipes. Milk isn't bad for you though, although that's a popular MFP myth people like to spout on here. In fact I sure your trolling right now with your op. Raw milk has excellent health benefits and most people who are lactose intolerant have no problems drinking raw milk. Most of the benefits of milk are lost in the pasteurization process. That's why calves often don't survive when fed pasteurized milk. I'm sure someone will chime in in how bad it is for you momentarily....

Eh. I fed my kids raw human milk and frozen human milk. Many of the benefits were lost during the freezing process, but I wouldn't say most. However, raw milk is an effective topical antibiotic (anti-viral agent as well)

my-brain-just-went-what-the-hell.gif

That's actually true. Human breastmilk is awesome like that, I've used it many times on my own kids for conjunctivitis when they were babies.

Good on minor infections, like cat scratches. Usually they get really irritated and sore for a coupla days when I get them. I rubbed a little of my own breast milk on one once--BAM. Gone the next day.