Why I hate Body Fat Percentage!

Options

Replies

• ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    My issue with body fat is that it is so difficult to measure properly. I know when I step on my Tanita scale, depending on time of day and what I've eaten and how much I have exercised, it can be anywhere from 19-23%. If I use the various tape measure techniques, I actually get in the 16-17% range, which I know cannot be accurate, since I am just not that lean. Years ago (in my mid-20s) I was measured with calipers and think that I got somewhere around 20%. Comparing myself to photos, I would estimate my body fat to be around 20-22%. I know that water testing or "BodPod" type scans promise to be better at pinpointing an actual number, but they aren't something you can really do on a regular basis to measure progress.

Sigh.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I love body fat percentage.. it helps me not think about how I'm not a typical 5'6" 130lb woman but a beautiful 5'6" 172lb woman. It also helped me not freak out because the scale wasn't moving. To each their own really.. I would love to see more people "freak out" about BF% than "OMG WHY AM I NOT LOSING LB WEIGHT"

I freak out because I do not want to keep losing body fat % and still be in the 200s ib. I would look way to muscular. Apparently I already look muscular. Ha this is just the beginning.

LOL
  • osothefinn
    osothefinn Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    My issue with body fat is that it is so difficult to measure properly. I know when I step on my Tanita scale, depending on time of day and what I've eaten and how much I have exercised, it can be anywhere from 19-23%. If I use the various tape measure techniques, I actually get in the 16-17% range, which I know cannot be accurate, since I am just not that lean. Years ago (in my mid-20s) I was measured with calipers and think that I got somewhere around 20%. Comparing myself to photos, I would estimate my body fat to be around 20-22%. I know that water testing or "BodPod" type scans promise to be better at pinpointing an actual number, but they aren't something you can really do on a regular basis to measure progress.

Sigh.

Right. Like the original poster said, go with a combination of multiple points of reference so a single number isn't the hinge point for your feelings of success.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I love body fat percentage.. it helps me not think about how I'm not a typical 5'6" 130lb woman but a beautiful 5'6" 172lb woman. It also helped me not freak out because the scale wasn't moving. To each their own really.. I would love to see more people "freak out" about BF% than "OMG WHY AM I NOT LOSING LB WEIGHT"

I freak out because I do not want to keep losing body fat % and still be in the 200s ib. I would look way to muscular. Apparently I already look muscular. Ha this is just the beginning.

well the good news is, should such a tragedy befall you, there is an ease fix for that.

congrats on being the first male i've head say on MFP that they were affraid of looking too muscular
  • likitisplit
    Options

Sigh.

I do water testing twice a year. Check around. It'll put your mind at rest and help you calibrate your other measuring devices.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Sigh.

I do water testing twice a year. Check around. It'll put your mind at rest and help you calibrate your other measuring devices.

how much is it?
  • krawhitham
    krawhitham Posts: 831 Member
    Options
    I haven't lost a lb for two months, and my clothes fit the same as they did when I was 15 lbs heavier in January. This makes me want to take a body fat test (hydrostatic testing) just once to see where I'm at.

I agree though, once I find out that baseline number, I'm not going to go back every month or maybe at all ever again. I'm just curious how much I have to lose, and if I'm on the right track.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

LOL

Or fail to eat because they want to lose weight at all costs...and don't care if it's muscle, bone density, etc.

True.. that **** is disturbing. Ah well...
  • likitisplit
    Options

Sigh.

how much is it?

My gym runs a competition, so it's $75 for everything including the two tests. I think it's about $50 normally. It's pretty awesome seeing the year over year results.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I kind of read the first post then commented... can someone break down the accuracy of the different methods of measuing BF% please?

Is water testing the most accurate of all other methods available?
  • tialynn1
    tialynn1 Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    Very well said. I agree. I don't follow my BF%. I do follow the scale, more as a guide. When people ask how much weight I want to lose, I always say a goal, but it will depend on how I feel when I get to that point or near that point. Then I will reassess.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    I kind of read the first post then commented... can someone break down the accuracy of the different methods of measuing BF% please?

Underwater weighing is most accurate also most expensive. Next comes I guess Dexa scan. I don't know wha that is. Next up is Bod Pod which I did close to a month ago. It tells you body fat% and everthing else, water, bone density, organs, and muscle as fat free %. It was 50 in my area. Next would be i guess the mirror and tape measurements.
  • likitisplit
    Options

http://www.active.com/fitness/articles/5-ways-to-test-your-body-composition

DEXA scanning is the most accurate.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

If done properly, it was always consider the "reference standard" in body fat testing. In that regard, it has been supplanted by DEXA scans.

The biggest issue w/hydrostatic weighing is that it is a more difficult methodology. You have to blow out all air and then remain underwater until an accurate scale reading is determined. The official protocol also requires that you do 10 different measurements (which I doubt anyone does). Finally, to be completely accurate, you have to measure actual residual volume (which no one does) instead of using a reference table.

Put all that together and you have a number of variables that can introduce error into the readings.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    i've read that the hydrostatic weighting is still supposedly most accurate, or they are about the same

Dexa scan was created to measure bone density but also can be used to determine BF%. i believe it uses xrays

do not know what they do with the 'body pod'
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    It is human nature to look more favorably on the tools that you use professionally. So I come down on the side of finding that body fat % measurements are vital tools for working with people to counsel them on weight loss, general fitness, or overall health. I understand the OPs arguments as well.

For all the shortcomings, valid body fat measuring tools do provide concrete bits of information that make the discussion more meaningful for most people. I am usually able to work through the variables and place them in the proper context. Rather than using vague, descriptive terms, I am able to clearly identify body frame types, fat distribution patterns, etc, that most clients find extremely helpful. I can't tell you how many people I have been able to help-people who are being told they are "obese" based on BMI when they actually have large frames, people who are at long-term risk of osteoporosis because they are small with little muscle mass, people who are wasting time doing hundreds of crunches when they have a body type that is genetically predisposed to accumulate fat in the midsection, etc, etc, etc. It makes a difference.

For example: Saying "HCG is a crap weight loss plan" has limited effect. Showing someone that 35%-40% of their weight loss was lean mass is much more persuasive. Another: showing someone frustrated by slow-changing scale weight that they have lost twice as much fat as they thought is very reassuring.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    wouldn't really say its a vital tool. i'm sure many have arrived at thier goal weight without ever being tested
  • albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options

Underwater weighing is most accurate also most expensive. Next comes I guess Dexa scan. I don't know wha that is. Next up is Bod Pod which I did close to a month ago. It tells you body fat% and everthing else, water, bone density, organs, and muscle as fat free %. It was 50 in my area. Next would be i guess the mirror and tape measurements.

From what I read, I think you got the two backward...underwater is not as accurate as we are told...everyone expels differently, which impacts the result clearly.
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No kidding, that's why we have trend lines... :laugh:

zjbic8.jpg

I weigh in every day at the same time and about the same hydration level. I'm a satisfied customer of body fat %.

is that graph part of some tracking software? or you just plotted your results. been toying with the idea of getting the scale that wireless connects to your computer

I have a Withings scale (first gen model) that does it. The graph I posted came from their HealthMate website, but they have smartphone apps as well. It also syncs to MFP, but the graphs on MFP don't have trend lines so I don't bother with them.

http://vitrine.withings.com/smart-body-analyzer.html

monthly fee for the Healthmate website?

Nope. I bought my scale about 3 or 4 years ago and it's still free to sync up.
  • ilfaith
    ilfaith Posts: 16,769 Member
    Options
    Feh! I give up. Pass the cheesecake.