Why I hate Body Fat Percentage!

Options

Replies

• albayin
    albayin Posts: 2,524 Member
    Options
    Feh! I give up. Pass the cheesecake.

I already had one yesterday after reading this thread...
  • albayin
    Options
    wouldn't really say its a vital tool. i'm sure many have arrived at thier goal weight without ever being tested

yeah...my goal is if someday when I do jump jacks in front of a full length mirror and see nothing jiggling around that's the day I meet my goal...even a fancy scale says I had 30% bodyfat...
  • bravid98
    bravid98 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    No kidding, that's why we have trend lines... :laugh:

zjbic8.jpg

I weigh in every day at the same time and about the same hydration level. I'm a satisfied customer of body fat %.

is that graph part of some tracking software? or you just plotted your results. been toying with the idea of getting the scale that wireless connects to your computer

I have a Withings scale (first gen model) that does it. The graph I posted came from their HealthMate website, but they have smartphone apps as well. It also syncs to MFP, but the graphs on MFP don't have trend lines so I don't bother with them.

http://vitrine.withings.com/smart-body-analyzer.html

I'm not suggesting you should change anything you're doing since it seems to be working for you, but can't you see the trend from the data points alone? I can. Not so much on a day-to-day basis, but over the course of three or four weeks, you have a clearly visible trend, and it seems to be pretty consistent month after month.

I think a lot of people here must agree with you though. I don't think I've seen anyone talking about using MFP's graphs. Other than me, that is.

Yup, the trend is easy to see if you weigh in everyday like I do. However, it seems like a majority of people on here weigh in weekly. It would be even worse if you did a monthly weigh in for fat %.

I guess what I'm saying is, the more data points you have, the better your trend line looks and the easier it becomes to "ignore" the fluctuations on a day to day basis that are inherent to calculating BF%.
  • No_Finish_Line
    No_Finish_Line Posts: 3,661 Member
    Options
    I kind of read the first post then commented... can someone break down the accuracy of the different methods of measuing BF% please?

Is water testing the most accurate of all other methods available?

Underwater weighing is most accurate also most expensive. Next comes I guess Dexa scan. I don't know wha that is. Next up is Bod Pod which I did close to a month ago. It tells you body fat% and everthing else, water, bone density, organs, and muscle as fat free %. It was 50 in my area. Next would be i guess the mirror and tape measurements.

From what I read, I think you got the two backward...underwater is not as accurate as we are told...everyone expels differently, which impacts the result clearly.

i've read they are both potentially flawed and that hydrostatic was still somehow better or at least not any worse.

but i'm really just going by wikipedia
  • jim180155
    jim180155 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yup, the trend is easy to see if you weigh in everyday like I do. However, it seems like a majority of people on here weigh in weekly. It would be even worse if you did a monthly weigh in for fat %.

I guess what I'm saying is, the more data points you have, the better your trend line looks and the easier it becomes to "ignore" the fluctuations on a day to day basis that are inherent to calculating BF%.

I couldn't agree with you more.
  • albayin
    Options
    I kind of read the first post then commented... can someone break down the accuracy of the different methods of measuing BF% please?

Is water testing the most accurate of all other methods available?

Underwater weighing is most accurate also most expensive. Next comes I guess Dexa scan. I don't know wha that is. Next up is Bod Pod which I did close to a month ago. It tells you body fat% and everthing else, water, bone density, organs, and muscle as fat free %. It was 50 in my area. Next would be i guess the mirror and tape measurements.

From what I read, I think you got the two backward...underwater is not as accurate as we are told...everyone expels differently, which impacts the result clearly.

i've read they are both potentially flawed and that hydrostatic was still somehow better or at least not any worse.

but i'm really just going by wikipedia

Well, the reason I said that is a person I know recently had 3 methods done and her number varies big time. Actually the underwater reads the lowest and in fact she's no way near 20% visually speaking...

but one case can't speak for all. so going with wiki probably is the more credible way, anyhow. :)
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I love body fat percentage.. it helps me not think about how I'm not a typical 5'6" 130lb woman but a beautiful 5'6" 172lb woman. It also helped me not freak out because the scale wasn't moving. To each their own really.. I would love to see more people "freak out" about BF% than "OMG WHY AM I NOT LOSING LB WEIGHT"

I freak out because I do not want to keep losing body fat % and still be in the 200s ib. I would look way to muscular. Apparently I already look muscular. Ha this is just the beginning.

attachment.php?attachmentid=2794923&stc=1&d=1287771257
    Guy on the left is Frank Zane. Three time Mr. Olympia (1977,1978, 1979). 200 pounds and 10% body fat at 5'9".

Guy on the right is Arnold. Don't need to tell you about his competition history. 250 pounds and 11% body fat at 6'2".
  • CA_Underdog
    CA_Underdog Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    My issue with body fat is that it is so difficult to measure properly. I know when I step on my Tanita scale, depending on time of day and what I've eaten and how much I have exercised, it can be anywhere from 19-23%.

A couple people, myself included, posted body fat % graphs on here they got from BIA scales which showed the consistent trends t hey can track. Tanita scales s hould be consistent and +/- 3% accurate with hydrostatic weighing. It sounds like you're not following the recommended usage guidelines--

*** Weigh first thing in the morning, after peeing! ***

If you want the full and more official sounding version from Georgia State, here you go--

Abstain from eating and drinking within 4 hours of the test
    Avoid exercising within 12 hours of the test
    Void (urinate) completely prior to testing
    Do not drink alcohol within 48 hours of the test
    Avoid taking diuretics prior to testing unless instructed by your physician
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options
    I love body fat percentage.. it helps me not think about how I'm not a typical 5'6" 130lb woman but a beautiful 5'6" 172lb woman. It also helped me not freak out because the scale wasn't moving. To each their own really.. I would love to see more people "freak out" about BF% than "OMG WHY AM I NOT LOSING LB WEIGHT"

I freak out because I do not want to keep losing body fat % and still be in the 200s ib. I would look way to muscular. Apparently I already look muscular. Ha this is just the beginning.

Guy on the left is Frank Zane. Three time Mr. Olympia (1977,1978, 1979). 200 pounds and 10% body fat at 5'9".

Guy on the right is Arnold. Don't need to tell you about his competition history. 250 pounds and 11% body fat at 6'2".

and dave draper in the middle. i'm not sure what your driving at here
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

Basically, the guy who doesn't want to be 200 pounds at low body fat doesn't want to look like either of these athletes without doing any of the work that they put in.

Kind of like accidentally getting bulky on an elliptical.
  • usmcmp
    Options

The guy posted he was afraid of having low body fat and still being 200 pounds. I was showing him a few bodybuilders with low body fat and what their height/weight was. The chances of him getting to 10% and being 200 pounds is not likely.
  • likitisplit
    Options

The guy posted he was afraid of having low body fat and still being 200 pounds. I was showing him a few bodybuilders with low body fat and what their height/weight was. The chances of him getting to 10% and being 200 pounds is not likely.

Unless...of course...mini trampoline?
  • usmcmp
    Options

Unless...of course...mini trampoline?

Elliptical and 5 pound dumbbells.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    In...

...for later.
  • usmcmp
    Options
    In...

...for later.

You're a few days late.
  • likitisplit
    Options
    In...

...for later.

You're a few days late.

I think he has his website alert set on mini-trampoline.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

chances of 90% of the population looking like them without steroids is near 0

actually to be honest with you, they don't look half as roidy as todays bodybuilders, but they were all on them
  • usmcmp
    Options

actually to be honest with you, they don't look half as roidy as todays bodybuilders, but they were all on them

Which goes to prove my point to him even more. The guy that was concerned isn't going to be shredded and weigh 200 pounds unless he's 7 feet tall (I have a friend who competes and is natural. He is 7 feet tall and weighs 240 pounds).
  • likitisplit
    Options

The chances of 90% of the population looking like them WITH steroids is pretty close to 0 too.
  • No_Finish_Line
    Options

Which goes to prove my point to him even more. The guy that was concerned isn't going to be shredded and weigh 200 pounds unless he's 7 feet tall (I have a friend who competes and is natural. He is 7 feet tall and weighs 240 pounds).

oh i follow you now