Being hit on/flirted with?

Options

Replies

• Candi_land
    Candi_land Posts: 1,311 Member
    Options
    I usually take it as a joke and play along assuming they're just being friendly and act just the same with everyone else.

In the rare occasions that I've been hit on directly it's usually by the homeless guy at the gas station, but I'm pretty sure he only does it because I buy him beer.
  • Aliciaaah
    Aliciaaah Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I usually take it as a joke and play along assuming they're just being friendly and act just the same with everyone else.

In the rare occasions that I've been hit on directly it's usually by the homeless guy at the gas station, but I'm pretty sure he only does it because I buy him beer.

I lied about never getting hit on. I get hit on frequently at gas stations and Walmarts across California, similar to what you're describing. I try to put most of them out of my mind though. :tongue:
  • Dr__Girlfriend
    Dr__Girlfriend Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I don't like men asking me to get in their cars, I don't like being groped on the bus. I don't like men making comments about my *kitten* when I'm getting out of my car, and I don't like generally being harassed in public. It's gotten to the point where I'm very rude to people who make lewd comments at me or holler at me in public. Tired of it.

Some people are genuinely nice and very polite, such as "Hey, I really like your skirt :)", but unfortunately those are few and far between.
  • AllOutof_Bubblegum
    AllOutof_Bubblegum Posts: 3,646 Member
    Options
    I suffered all throughout middle school and early high school from a crippling case of Ugly Duckling Syndrome (with good reason--I was extremely ugly, awkward and weird; a legitimate freak. The mean boys called me "dog".) Sometimes I still think I'm not cute. So when I get hit on or get 'looks' now, I really like it, because I NEVER used to get it.
  • andthenwhatjen
    andthenwhatjen Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I don't like men asking me to get in their cars, I don't like being groped on the bus. I don't like men making comments about my *kitten* when I'm getting out of my car, and I don't like generally being harassed in public. It's gotten to the point where I'm very rude to people who make lewd comments at me or holler at me in public. Tired of it.

Some people are genuinely nice and very polite, such as "Hey, I really like your skirt :)", but unfortunately those are few and far between.

You poor thing.
  • Noogynoogs
    Noogynoogs Posts: 1,028 Member
    Options
    It's great when you age and this doesnt happen anymore.
  • sunnyside1213
    sunnyside1213 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I always assume people who hit on me are trying to sell me something, trying to rob me, or wants me to join their cult.

LOL...as I am older than dirt, I assume the same.
  • wandering
    wandering Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I don't think that I have ever been hit on or flirted with, perhaps i have and was just completely oblivious\
  • oboneadams
    oboneadams Posts: 47
    Options

What you are describing i not what i would call flirting. I would never say any of those things! but if i think a girl is pretty or looks interesting or whatever i will usually say hello or complement her or something. maybe i should stop lol
  • thatjosiegirl
    thatjosiegirl Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    Rarely ever happens for me, and I'm always flattered when it does happen. :smile:
  • Phoenix__Rising
    Phoenix__Rising Posts: 9,981 Member
    Options

You poor thing.

They still do that?
    That's so 80s.
  • TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    I'd feel flattered.
  • RunWinterGarden
    RunWinterGarden Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I'd kill to be hit on and flirted with.
  • mockchoc
    mockchoc Posts: 6,573 Member
    Options
    Oops I thought MFP stood for My Flirty Pals. Ok I'm off then. :grumble:
  • ChrissyC1985
    ChrissyC1985 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    It depends entirely, I've never had much confidence or self-esteem so I am always flattered whenever it happens. If it's not creepy or pervy then I'm totally fine with it. It's always nice to get complimented, I've had guys get creepy in the past and that just scared me.
  • Warchortle
    Warchortle Posts: 2,197 Member
    Options
    8==>

Did I do it right?
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    I love it! Only if it's from someone I'd like to reciprocate the flirtation with............:laugh:
  • Iluvmyfurbabies
    Iluvmyfurbabies Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't care who you are.. I LOVE being flirted with and hit on :) maybe it's because it doesn't happen that often LOL I'm kidding it happens enough... Not a lot but enough... :smooched:
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    20 lbs lighter ago I am driving down the highway and a trucker pulls up along side me and give a little honk of his horn. I look up disgusted for about 10 second till it hits me...I got honked at...I made my freaking day. Smiled for hours.
    So in the right place flirting can be uplifting...
  • HikariAlta
    Options
    Best flirting moments ever:

1.) When I was in high school at summer camp one year, I had two guys (cute guys) fighting over me. I was def not the "hot" girl in HS, so I was kind of a flirting fail. I had no idea what was going on, and I was complaining about the hair on my toes in front of one of them (much to my freind's chagrin- she was trying to get me to stop, but I was too oblivious). Instead of being squicked out, the guy took off his shoes, and said, "Cool! We match! I have hairy toes, too!". What a sweetie :-)

2.) In college, I was on the debate team. There was this guy from another team who was really awesome- he was a good bet to win nationals that year. At nationals, we hit in octofinals or quarterfinals (too long ago- I can't remember which), and I eliminated him. That night, we happened to meet at the gas station while our teams were gassing up the vans. He was so humble and sweet, and we just had the greatest vibe going on as we deconstructed the round. Time just stood still- next thing we knew, our respective teams were telling us to break up the mutual admiration society meeting so we could get back to the hotel. I think I totally would have jumped him then and there, under the gas station canopy, if it hadn't been for my then-husband watching from the van ;-)

Flirting can be so much fun!