seriously?

Options
123457»

Replies

• Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Which translates into dollars, which is the only reason these films get made. They sure aren't up for any Oscars.

I know we nerds like to claim ownership over the stories we fell in love with first, but we can't kid ourselves into thinking these movies are for us. They want as much mass appeal as possible. They're already counting on us to go to the movies. They need to work to draw in the middle aged housewives who've never read a comic and have no clue who Gambit is. But you tell them Magic Mike is in it and boom.

It may not be artistically sound, but we're talking about comic book movies. They're trying to sell popcorn here.

I know...this like the Hollywood version of X-Box One

To be honest, I often like a lot of the changes the films make to the characters. They make them more believable. Yeah, I'm a big comic nerd, but I'm not so much of a fanboy that I demand the movies follow along exactly with the books. Because truth be told there's a lot of dumb crap in the books.

It makes sense that Spider-Man would naturally have the ability to shoot webs. That was a great change. Web shooters are dumb. And it's a real stretch to believe that Peter just whips them up one day in his bedroom.

Nobody liked X3, but the change to Jean made sense. A split personality disorder, causing her to lose control of her powers. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than the original storyline. A cosmic entity that decides to impersonate her, so it hides her body in the ocean and lives out her life until an alien race kills her. No way that makes it into a movie.

And I don't mind when some characters are played by black actors. Nick Fury, Electro, people get up in arms over this sort of thing. Why? Every character was white back in the day. You have to make some changes in casting so it DOESN'T look like it's 1950 again. And you try to tell me Hasslehoff was a better Fury than Samuel L.

If anyone needs me I'll be in my treehouse, alone, shooing away stoopid girlz. :glasses:

agreed. i mean, does anyone know the original origin of Falcon? he was some ghetto kid that could communicate with birds and then one gets a suit that allows him to fly.

i like the film version better. makes him more believable.
  • MonsterSugarBug
    Options
    Channing Tatum as Gambit in the new X-Men film? Fml...

Channing Tatum as anyone is a good thing...

He would make a great Lennie from "Of Mice and Men". The role fits well within his range of acting.

Bwahahahahhahahahahaha!!! Thanks for the laugh! I agree, he would make a great Lennie!!
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    ^^ luzl- I wanted to love Thor also- but I felt it was a bit awkward.

I've never been a HUGE portman fan- something about her feels weird and forced.
    Exactly..smoking hot...and SUPER potential...again DC gives an epic chance to a crap writer..

seems normal at this point.

It's like they have run out of talent or something.

so lame.

back to hating people and spider man- what was her name- she sucked too- Kirsten Dunsts. So glad she's not around any more- she was rubbish as well.

Hahahaha what movies DO you like?

This year - already stated- Prisoners.

was a great movie- wildly underrated. Probably the best movie of 2013.
    Iron Man(s) were great.
    1st Transformers was pretty good.
    I liked 300 for what it was- the second /pre-quel one sucked balls.
    I love Sin City.
    5th Element is one of my all time favorites- corny sure- but still awesome.
    Really enjoyed Life of Pi

There are a handful I will watch over and over again. New movies mostly these days are just not that great.
    I hear Lone Survivor was good- would like to watch that- Hurt Locker got great reviews and I thought it was amazingly awful.
    I dunno- I guess I have standards- I want them to be REALLY bad and over the top- or they need to actually be good.
  • Collier78
    Collier78 Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    ^^ luzl- I wanted to love Thor also- but I felt it was a bit awkward.

I've never been a HUGE portman fan- something about her feels weird and forced.
    Exactly..smoking hot...and SUPER potential...again DC gives an epic chance to a crap writer..

seems normal at this point.

It's like they have run out of talent or something.

so lame.

back to hating people and spider man- what was her name- she sucked too- Kirsten Dunsts. So glad she's not around any more- she was rubbish as well.

Hahahaha what movies DO you like?

This year - already stated- Prisoners.

was a great movie- wildly underrated. Probably the best movie of 2013.
    Iron Man(s) were great.
    1st Transformers was pretty good.
    I liked 300 for what it was- the second /pre-quel one sucked balls.
    I love Sin City.
    5th Element is one of my all time favorites- corny sure- but still awesome.
    Really enjoyed Life of Pi

There are a handful I will watch over and over again. New movies mostly these days are just not that great.
    I hear Lone Survivor was good- would like to watch that- Hurt Locker got great reviews and I thought it was amazingly awful.
    I dunno- I guess I have standards- I want them to be REALLY bad and over the top- or they need to actually be good.

I liked 300...I haven't seen the second one and Immortals was a let down. If you want really over the top try Movie 43...a couple of really really funny sections but for the most part 11 year old boy humor. I'm the same way with Horror movies...they either have to keep me on the edge of my seat and freak me out or be the over the top blood spurts everywhere, no one dies like that kind...

If you like suspensful thrillers I recommend Insidious and Insidious 2. Just the connections they make between the two and the way it takes place kept me freaked out for days..
  • Collier78
    Options
    Which translates into dollars, which is the only reason these films get made. They sure aren't up for any Oscars.

I know we nerds like to claim ownership over the stories we fell in love with first, but we can't kid ourselves into thinking these movies are for us. They want as much mass appeal as possible. They're already counting on us to go to the movies. They need to work to draw in the middle aged housewives who've never read a comic and have no clue who Gambit is. But you tell them Magic Mike is in it and boom.

It may not be artistically sound, but we're talking about comic book movies. They're trying to sell popcorn here.

To be honest, I often like a lot of the changes the films make to the characters. They make them more believable. Yeah, I'm a big comic nerd, but I'm not so much of a fanboy that I demand the movies follow along exactly with the books. Because truth be told there's a lot of dumb crap in the books.

It makes sense that Spider-Man would naturally have the ability to shoot webs. That was a great change. Web shooters are dumb. And it's a real stretch to believe that Peter just whips them up one day in his bedroom.

Nobody liked X3, but the change to Jean made sense. A split personality disorder, causing her to lose control of her powers. That makes a hell of a lot more sense than the original storyline. A cosmic entity that decides to impersonate her, so it hides her body in the ocean and lives out her life until an alien race kills her. No way that makes it into a movie.

And I don't mind when some characters are played by black actors. Nick Fury, Electro, people get up in arms over this sort of thing. Why? Every character was white back in the day. You have to make some changes in casting so it DOESN'T look like it's 1950 again. And you try to tell me Hasslehoff was a better Fury than Samuel L.

If anyone needs me I'll be in my treehouse, alone, shooing away stoopid girlz. :glasses:

agreed. i mean, does anyone know the original origin of Falcon? he was some ghetto kid that could communicate with birds and then one gets a suit that allows him to fly.

Precisely.

And (in keeping with the Cap theme) what about Bucky? In the movies he's Caps friend. Originally he was his kid sidekick that fought alongside him in WWII. Because that's something that used to happen, children being sent to fight in WWII....

I get that they have to adjust some of the story lines because they don't make sense, or because there are so many different "versions" of backstory you have to pick one, but some of the casting doesn't make sense. I think Chris Evans as Captain America was spot on. He plays it well, and he pulled off packing on some serious muscle. RDJ was another great casting decision, HE. IS. TONY. STARK...so they don't get it wrong all the time. I don't think it's necessarily about story line or how they choose to explain something it is more about the characters personality, something Marvel has seemed to get right with the Avenger series and the way they have written the characters. To me Toby Maguire came off as whiny, while Andrew Garfield seems to be playing a "better" Peter Parker.

edited for spelling.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options

Precisely.

And (in keeping with the Cap theme) what about Bucky? In the movies he's Caps friend. Originally he was his kid sidekick that fought alongside him in WWII. Because that's something that used to happen, children being sent to fight in WWII....

I get that they have to adjust some of the story lines because they don't make sense, or because there are so many different "versions" of backstory you have to pick one, but some of the casting doesn't make sense. I think Chris Evans as Captain America was spot on. He plays it well, and he pulled off packing on some serious muscle. RDJ was another great casting decision, HE. IS. TONY. STARK...so they don't get it wrong all the time. I don't think it's necessarily about story line or how they choose to explain something it is more about the characters personality, something Marvel has seemed to get right with the Avenger series and the way they have written the characters. To me Toby Maguire came off as whiny, while Andrew Garfield seems to be playing a "better" Peter Parker.

edited for spelling.

do you understand that the spider-man franchise is owned by sony, while x-men and the fantastic four are owned by fox? at least the film rights are. the Marvel/disney studios have nothing to do with casting for those films.
  • Collier78
    Options

Precisely.

edited for spelling.

do you understand that the spider-man franchise is owned by sony, while x-men and the fantastic four are owned by fox? at least the film rights are. the Marvel/disney studios have nothing to do with casting for those films.

Yes, sorry I guess I should have left Marvel out of it. It just kind of makes me wonder though how they can cast so well for one movie and completely miss the mark with the other films they own the rights to.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Anyone watching XMEN today? Hopefully I can get my DW to go. If not, I'll have to at least wait till Sunday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Collier78
    Options
    Anyone watching XMEN today? Hopefully I can get my DW to go. If not, I'll have to at least wait till Sunday.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

I might try to convince the hubs to go if we can get the oldest to watch the youngest. Otherwise, we don't make it to the theaters very often and end up renting.
  • tmm_0127
    tmm_0127 Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    He's worlds better than that first schlump they chose.