2 Calorie Cookies

Options
12345679»

Replies

• nyiballs
    nyiballs Posts: 147
    Options
    The recipe can make 50-70 cookies.

Btw... These will NOT be chewy. They will melt like cotton candy almost in your mouth.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, quit teasing. I am going to try to make these tonight but the dang eggs are still too cold to mess with. :tongue:

Sit em in hot water for 3 minutes.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    The recipe can make 50-70 cookies.

Btw... These will NOT be chewy. They will melt like cotton candy almost in your mouth.
    Yeah, yeah, yeah, quit teasing. I am going to try to make these tonight but the dang eggs are still too cold to mess with. :tongue:

Sit em in hot water for 3 minutes.
    Well dang it....I feel silly...lol
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    So the egg whites whipped up beautifully and I liked the texture that they had after baked, but the flavor was something else. Here are two things that I learned from making them

1.The recipe called for cream of tartar OR salt. I didn't have any cream of tartar, so I used salt and just a little less than a teaspoon. The cookie had a terrible overpowering salt flavor and overpowered the Splenda taste. Next time I make this, I will make sure to buy cream of tartar instead and I may try to use real sugar since Splenda leaves an aftertaste and maybe that mixed with salt is what made the cookies taste weird. I even tried to add more splenda to make it sweeter and it didn't do anything.

2. This is a LOT of batter, I only had two baking sheets in the house. I used to have 4 and had no clue they were gone. You will need like 3 or 4 baking sheets to use up and bake the mix all at once because anything leftover will separate and be useless.

I am going to try it again, but better prepared this time with pans and the right ingredients.
  • gieshagirl
    gieshagirl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    bump to the extreme!
  • happysquidmuffin
    happysquidmuffin Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I might try a half recipe of this! ^_^
  • lisavgagne
    lisavgagne Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I LOVE these cookies. I grew up calling them Forgotten Cookies (b/c of the cooking method) and adding chocolate chips. I have never thought of trying them w/ no cal sweetener. Thanks for the GREAT idea!
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    bump-ahh :smokin:
  • slb41785
    slb41785 Posts: 1
    Options
    Does anyone think that PB2 could work? Peanut butter sounds delicious.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    1.The recipe called for cream of tartar OR salt. I didn't have any cream of tartar, so I used salt and just a little less than a teaspoon.

:noway: anything less than a pinch sounds like waaaay too much. Cream of tartar is not necessary and is only used to help stabilize the meringue and give you a very fine froth.

If you use salt, I'd say no more than a pinch & I've made meringue (for french macaroon & other recipes) quite a bit & even without cream of tartar, it came out well.

Egg whites must have NO fat (as in, no egg yolk, butter, oil etc.) and seem to whip up better when at room temp.

Good luck :drinker:
  • ValeriePlz
    ValeriePlz Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    I did not read the entire thread, but I just wanted to post that cold eggs are easier to separate than warm eggs. I always separate them, then let them get to room temperature from there.
  • teresamwhite
    teresamwhite Posts: 947 Member
    Options
    This was a great recipe, Thank you, OP!

This went over VERY well at the doctor's luncheon today. We divided the basic recipe into fourths. We used candy flavoring: lemon, almond, coffee, strawberry and a few drops of food coloring. We piped the meringue into different shapes, too...seashells, curliques, classic circles and spirals.

These were dirt cheap to make, but made a huge impact, and were actually really easy to make (mainly because I've got commercial equipment...i know at home it will take a bit more effort). They loved that these were "skinny"!

(We used cream of tartar, btw, and skipped the salt)
  • paulawatkins1974
    paulawatkins1974 Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    bump
  • gina1971
    gina1971 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    So the egg whites whipped up beautifully and I liked the texture that they had after baked, but the flavor was something else. Here are two things that I learned from making them

1.The recipe called for cream of tartar OR salt. I didn't have any cream of tartar, so I used salt and just a little less than a teaspoon. The cookie had a terrible overpowering salt flavor and overpowered the Splenda taste. Next time I make this, I will make sure to buy cream of tartar instead and I may try to use real sugar since Splenda leaves an aftertaste and maybe that mixed with salt is what made the cookies taste weird. I even tried to add more splenda to make it sweeter and it didn't do anything.

2. This is a LOT of batter, I only had two baking sheets in the house. I used to have 4 and had no clue they were gone. You will need like 3 or 4 baking sheets to use up and bake the mix all at once because anything leftover will separate and be useless.

I am going to try it again, but better prepared this time with pans and the right ingredients.

Good to know! Thanks for sharing.
  • annabeladcock
    Options
    Oh, you must add some dark chocolate chips. A few more calories but worth it for the nutrition and satisfaction.

Yummy yum yum!! Saving this recipe, and the dark chocolate chips make it even better :) I have a total weakness for vanilla extract so I will overload it for sure hehe :)
  • sharyntg
    sharyntg Posts: 33
    Options
    Trader Joe's sells meringue cookies. Yum.
  • KatherineMichelle72
    Options
    I guess people don't cook anymore. Sounds good to me. I think I'll try lemon flavor. I love lemon merengue pie. :happy:

I've taken low cal lemon pudding and put it in a cupcake foil and tin, and put the meringue on top, baked at 400 for 4 mins, and then threw in the fridge for no crust, low cal lemon meringue "pie" as well.

This I have to try.. I have been dying for some lemon meringue pie!!! but being diabetic I limit very carefully what carbs I eat.. this sounds perfect!!! :drinker:
  • lizd1789
    lizd1789 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Sound amazing!
  • mojojorox
    mojojorox Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    bump