WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• butterflies02875
    butterflies02875 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great group. How can I join in.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Dpdora & Fairbreez: Welcome to a great group.:flowerforyou:

Cynthia: Good luck on the bike stress test. Be sure to tell us about your experience.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie: I’m sorry you’re sore and living with some pain. I hope it eases soon. Gentle stretches might help. So might advil, aspirin & ice.:flowerforyou:

Katymc226: Welcome. I can’t say that I've found losing weight harder at this age than when I was younger but it is slower. I was foolish back then and starved myself, then resumed my old habits and regained all the weight and more besides. This time the weight was slower coming off but I never felt starved or deprived and I’ve learned healthier habits. I wish you good luck.:flowerforyou:

Dr. Katie: I’ll cheer you on. I’m sure your break was more serious than mine by far. I’m also sure that persistent gentle effort and time can work miracles.:flowerforyou:

DS and DDIL will be here for dinner and I’ve got cleaning to do, plus a dinner to plan. I’m still not sure what will be on the menu. DS will be having surgery on his neck tomorrow, so I’d appreciate good wishes or prayer for him and for the surgeon.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • seasonsofjoy
    seasonsofjoy Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    :drinker: Cheers and happy start of a new week! New beginnings, every day is one, the sun comes up and we get to start over!

On that note, drkatiebug, congrats on your progress, very inspiring, as I am on day #2 of my recommit, can't wait to feel better! I know in less than a week, my aching feet will feel better, as will the rest of my achy body. It is truly amazing how quickly the body can respond when you treat it right. Not saying a ton of weight will fall right off, but I will start to FEEL better soon.

Katymc, oh, yeah, harder and harder as i age and health issues, but oh, well. That's why this group is great, we can all relate!

Cynthia, interesting you have done EFT, thanks for sharing that!

Barb of Fairbreez, Welcome! I will tell you, I ALWAYS weigh right when I start, as I find that first week's weight loss to be a big drop, and it is inspiring to me to see that, even if some is water weight. The boost it gives to see that drop-awesome! Also, I have read that the people who are most successful in keeping the weight off never stop keeping track, never stop keeping a handle on those pounds, at least. I think most keep logging their calories, etc., anywhere, and on Myfitnesspal, it is so easy! I love how the things you eat frequently appear as choices so you don't have to look them up every time. You can also customize your plan, so I have mine as 6 small meals a day, because that works best for me.

Happy Monday to all!!:flowerforyou:
    Nancy from Arizona
  • mkd1955
    mkd1955 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good Monday Morning to you all. Did some cooking this weekend, my family doesn’t care for the pizza around here, so I make my own. It got a little hot in the kitchen, but we survived. I did 50 minutes on the elliptical on Saturday morning and then cleaned. My steps were over 13,000! Sitting out on the deck Saturday night I saw a shooting star, at least that is what I thought, but it was quite big and seemed pretty low. Of course no one else really got a good look at it. Maybe a UFO?? Grocery store yesterday and watched the World Cup. I thought we had it, but oh well. I really don’t understand soccer at all!

I tried a new recipe from the Whole Foods for “Mediterranean Veggie” burgers. I made it last night and brought one for lunch today. This is my attempt to eat better and try to lose some weight and improve my blood sugar. The recipe calls for oats, garbanzo beans, potatoes, kalamata olives, roasted red peppers, kale, parsley and onion powder. Sounded good on paper, we will see…. I made a small salad too. From now on, taking my cue from all of you and will be eating more whole grains, veggies and cooking healthier…… I was down 1 ½ pounds this morning! Keep your fingers crossed.

DD got her train ticket to come to St. Louis the end of July for the wedding. Only $54 round trip from Chicago. She doesn’t think it’s fair; our flight leaves Philly at 9:30 AM and gets in at 11:30 AM. She leaves Chicago at 7 AM and arrives at 12:00 PM. She is much closer to St. Louis than we are. She is a teacher and just finished her 1st year in a Middle School. She was a “Temporary assigned” teacher, which means she will need to find a new job for the fall. She really needs to get a car but doesn’t want to buy one until she has a permanent position. I have my fingers and toes crossed that she can find a teaching position for the fall.

Hope you all have a wonderful day.
    Kathy
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    NSV - I have always been inspired by my MFP friends who have tackled the hard task of exercise.
    In my heart, I know that is the key to the long term weight management problem. I did walk last year until
    the tremendous snows and ice hit us early in the fall, and stayed on the ground until...late April!

So I bought an incline treadmill, got it set up a few days ago, and tried it out yesterday.

Walked my first goal of 5000 steps, and hit a total of 7,000 for the day, the longest I have ever been able to
    manage with bad knees, hip and feet. Feels great!

Even though it is nice out, I like the walker and will use it in the summer in the nice cool basement, listening
    to podcasts and Ted talks, fan ablazin'. One day, one day, I will finally catch up to the walking queen, Barbie.

For today though, I am happy just to start slow and move more.

Enjoy the lovely weather,

BJ, SWOnt
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    By the way, I found what seems to be a solution for the heat rash I've been getting in my fat-folds. Apple Cider Vinegar. I read that it helps athletes foot, so I thought why not try it. It sure feels good, and after a couple of days the rash appears to be gone. I don't mind the smell. I'm thinking of it as my new cologne!

Sylvia
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a great group. How can I join in.

Popped back in between weight workout and the treadmill workout.

Hi Butterflies. You just joined. Tell us a little about yourself. Welcome!

Sylvia, thanks! I will share more drawings in the future.

Kathy, let us know about the veggie burger recipe. I am looking for a good veggie burger recipe.

BJ, congratulations on the treadmill workout. I love mine, I read while on it with the fan blazin too!

Cindy in OK
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,301 Member
    Options
    Done a LOT of watering today. :ohwell: Shouldn't have to do it tomorrow, but we're still waiting for rain. So many people love the fine weather and it is besutiful, but for gardeners it is a pain, not to say for farmers!

My copy of Strong Women Stay Young arrived today. Can't wait for my ankle weights to arrive, but I shall soon need heavier ones I think. I am starting low because of my knee, but it is behaving itself at the moment. Barbie, you are right - it is a very inspiring and hopeful book. I am doing almost everything in it already, but the knee ones. I have seen a huge improvement in my body confidence since I have been doing strength training and feel I now move about like a woman at least twenty five years younger. I used to feel 75! :laugh: ANY of you can do it, so, if you aren't, then get going! Get the book, it will inspire you! :bigsmile: :flowerforyou:

I've been downloading and saving photos of the grandchildren on my flash drive today. DDIL is so good at sending me photos and videos. The one on my profile is DGD in Portugal last week. We are seeing them on Saturday and staying over night with my son. My DDIL is off on a hen weekend! ! ! ! DS wants some support.:laugh:

Yoga tomorrow. Funny how I think of that now as my "rest day".:laugh:

Veal escalopes tonight with asparagus. Served with "persillade", a chopped mixture of lemon zest, garlic and parsley. I also sqeeze lemon juice over in the pan. They take about a minute to cook, so excellent for people who say they don't have the time.:bigsmile:
    Then DH has stewed the last of our rhubarb.

More World Cup matches tonight. I haven't seen much of DH these last weeks as he's been upstairs watching the soccer. As we also have Wimbledon there is nothing on for me to watch. I don't like watching sport. I will catch up on a film I have recorded.

Love to all. Welcome new people! If I can do it, anyone can - and I'm not just saying that - it is true.:happy:

Heather in warm and sunny Hampshire UK
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Today's joke of the day is a long one:

:happy:

Quotes Jokes :: #938
    By Gemma Piscotti from Chicago IL USA.

60 above - Floridians wear coats, gloves, and wooly hats.

Chicago people sunbathe.

50 above - New Yorkers try to turn on the heat.

Chicago people plant gardens.

40 above - Italian cars won't start.

Chicago people drive with the windows down.

32 above - Distilled water freezes.

Lake Michigan's water gets thicker.

20 above - Californians shiver uncontrollably.

Chicago people have the last cookout before it gets cold.

15 above - New York landlords finally turn up the heat.

Chicago people throw on a sweatshirt.

0 degrees - Californians fly away to Mexico.

Chicago people lick the flagpole and throw on a light jacket over the

sweatshirt.

20 below - People in Miami cease to exist.

Chicago people get out their winter coats.

40 below - Hollywood disintegrates.

Chicago's Girl Scouts begin selling cookies door to door.

60 below - Polar bears begin to evacuate Antarctica.

Chicago's Boy Scouts postpone "Winter Survival" classes until it gets

cold enough.

80 below - Mount St. Helen's freezes.

Chicago people rent some videos.

100 below - Santa Claus abandons the North Pole.

Chicago people get frustrated when they can't thaw the keg.

297 below - Microbial life survives on dairy products.

Illinois cows complain of farmers with cold hands.

460 below - ALL atomic motion stops.

Chicago people start saying. . ."Cold 'nuff for ya??"

500 below - Hell freezes over.

The Chicago Cubs win the World Series

:laugh:
  • mkd1955
    mkd1955 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Funny!!! I could live with this if the Cubs really would win the World Series!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Bodi is still improving. the accupunture really seems to help him. As long as we go really slow he can get all 4 legs working. His balance is not there yet so we hold him steady by his tail. He wants to run and play so bad. This is driving us all crazy. But I am glad that he is continuing to improve. One day at a time.

Robin, Bodi and Ritter
    Sunny PNW
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Just going to bump to mark my place. I hope to get back to posting soon. Just have to fight the issues I have going on right now. If it is not one thing it is another. Just down and out.

Later!
    Rita from CT

Still lurking around.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Sylvia: Love the joke. DSIL is from Chicago and his family still lives there. I may send the joke to my daughter.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Love the Chicago joke:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Called the doctor's office this morning and they finally called back.....while I was in the bathroom and couldn't answer the phone! It seems that God has chosen this day to empty my colon Completely! I don't think He is done yet. I have an appointment Thursday morning with one of his nurse practioners. He will be seeing patients that day in the office if she needs to consult with him. I wish Sylvia could get in that quick. I have felt fine today, B/P is fine.

We are having some wind and rain today, guess Charlie will have to mow the yard again this week. Although the heat can be oppresive, the lawn doesn't have to be mowed as often. He is a stubborn man, Michelle has offered to do it weekly especially since his cardiologist has warned him about mowing it but he says he is fine. He does wait until after supper when it is cooler.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dlpappas
    dlpappas Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello ladies. I've been absent for well over a year and need to get back on track. Life got in the way big time and I totally ignored myself and leaned on food when stressed, so I've gained back most of the weight I lost with MFP. Glad to see this message board is still as active and upbeat as it was. Things still very stressful but I have to do something and MFP works. I look forward to reading your posts and getting reconnected to MFP.

Have a wonderful Monday all!

Diane
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    happy mon.
    Violet slept over,grandma didn`t get much sleep.
    Playing with the neighbor kids.
    Have a good one.
    HUGS
    jane
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Hi,

HELP -

I know I read something here about cooking corn on the cob in the microwave but can't find it now. I was trying to tell DH about it and he just came home with some. Can someone help me out and tell me how it's done so it comes out clean? Thanks! :smile:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Hi gals, saw this on another site: David Sedaris, one of the funniest authors I know, about Fitbit:
    http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2014/06/30/140630fa_fact_sedaris?currentPage=1

:laugh:
    Cynthia
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good early evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Just wanted to pop in and save my spot, I think I've caught up on reading the posts now.

Kim:smile: congrats on the NSV!!! I loved it when I realized I didn't have to unbutton or unzip my jeans to get them off or on, I did however have to buy a belt:laugh: ! good luck on your class this week!!!

Cindy:smile: your art work is just beautiful:love: , thank you so much for sharing it!!!! Happy birthday (late) to dear hubby!

Jane Martin:smile: on my, I'm so sorry you have to move again, I know that is such a stressor!!! Sending you a hug!!!

Rori:smile: I'm glad you're feeling better!!! Enjoy the rest of your staycation!!!

Heather:smile: as always I just want to come to house:love: !!! Wish you lived closer, I would love a few cooking lessons from you!

Brenda:smile: I know it's so hard for you right now:sad: , my oldest granddaughter left for New York on Sat. and I miss her so much, and she'll be back in 2 weeks. Sending you a hug!!!

Sylvia:smile: as always I so enjoy your jokes:laugh: ! I know I'll get a laugh once a day reading the posts!!! Your Dr. appt. is coming up soon, right?

Joyce:smile: glad you're getting in to see someone, your bp is way low too!!!

Katiebug:smile: it does take us much longer to heal as we get older:grumble: ! Continue with your pt!!!

Katla:smile: sending best wishes and prayers to your son and entire family!!! I'm sure the surgery will go just fine!

Michele:smile: want to come help me? I'm not putting out river rock, I feel like I keep putting out fires:grumble: :laugh: ! Your home will look fabulous!!!

Vicki:smile: glad you enjoyed the wedding, that was strange food for a wedding! My daughters wedding was a nighttime wedding with a full dinner afterwards, I couldn't tell you what we had, I was too busy being the mother of the bride to eat:laugh: ! How wonderful your hubby shampoos the carpet, what a great guy!!!

Nancy in AZ:smile: so nice to see you back!!!! Yes, our DD daughters think they know so much, she will come back and tell you she had no clue life could be so crazy:laugh: !

Welcome to everyone new!!! Hope you'll pop in often and chat away!!!

Hope everyone has a wonderful night!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee in NC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,759 Member
    Options
    afternoon chica's~
    well 2 more days until vacation and to say I am stressing is an understatement,I am focusing on just getting everything done and ready to go, plus take care of what I need to here and work to...:noway:
    well I dont know how much exercise I will get in the next few days because I need to wash floors, do laundry,pack,grocery shop, pack the car and mow the lawn in the next 3 days