WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,218 Member
    Options
    Hi gals. Iswear I was here yesterday but can't seem to find the post! Well I read all but no time to respond to everyone personally.

Crazy and annoying day. Started out well enough taking DD#2 to take the test for her learner's permit...she failed...then bought books, went to Panera bread and had eye appointment. I bought 9 book with the money dad gave me for my birthday last month.

Actually got a call, a text, and an email from DD#1...it's going to be a girl. I hope that doesn't sway her from adopting but I think it will.

Then just a bunch of annoying little things so I'm kind of crabby! Going to aqua zumba later so maybe that will improve my mood.

Calling all Colorado girls...we will be there July 12; coming in from the west from about an hour away. So we can have breakfast, brunch, or lunch...what ever works for you guys. Plus I'll need a suggestion for DH and DD#2 for where they can go while we are eating. They keep threatening to stand outside and peer in the windows at us! I am glad I re-read that before posting it....I originally wrote that they were going to stand outside and pee! OMG

OK cheers and high fives and hugs all around! Take care Meg from Omaha, where I am not commenting on weather any longer! (Did I tell you the final total was 7.76" of rain from the other day?)
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    Hi,

HELP -

I know I read something here about cooking corn on the cob in the microwave but can't find it now. I was trying to tell DH about it and he just came home with some. Can someone help me out and tell me how it's done so it comes out clean? Thanks! :smile:

I'm probably no help. I have one of those Tupperware microwave steam and serve bowls. I shuck and silk mine, then put it in the microwave on high for 15 minutes. Even after having said this, I prefer it steamed in the regular steamer on top of the stove. Or wrapped in foil and grilled.

I have heard of people steaming it in the shuck. I'm not a fan of trying that. Down here, when you hand pick it from the field, you are likely to steam a worm!
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,943 Member
    Options
    You shouldn't have bothered proof reading, Meg. I read the first "peer" as"pee" anyway and had to do a double take!

I really do need new glasses!
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Please say prayers for my friends Sam and Viv. Viv has Alzheimer's and is now missing in NY city, they were vacationing and she has been missing since yesterday. Thank you all, Party Cincinnati OH
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Please say prayers for my friends Sam and Viv. Viv has Alzheimer's and is now missing in NY city, they were vacationing and she has been missing since yesterday. Thank you all, Party Cincinnati OH

Praying for protection for her now and for someone to come into her path and lead her to safety and back to Sam. Also, sent the information to our prayer group at my church. Please keep us update.
  • gmom316
    gmom316 Posts: 244
    Options
    Yes, laundry, some cooking and even a little cleaning on vacation. I don't mind,. So sick of crappy restaurant food and would rather not take home all dirty clothes.

Just a few more days until we leave and I'm already a little sad. Went to visit and old friend who just live less than a mile from where we're staying in a very large waterfront home. Aaron swam in her pool while we chatted. We're supposed to go back for a boat ride before we leave. Still have a few more friends to look up and my old neighborhood to drive through.

Want to spend some more time on the beach. Kind of stinks being right across the street and Aaron prefers the pool here. At least I have my morning walks.

Hope everyone is well. Looking forward to getting back not my groove when we do get back,. In the meantime, I'm doing a little lurking.

xo- Gloria from Metro Detroit still beaching it
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Kayak cutie, you just put it in for four minutes per ear. Then cut off the stem end. You're supposed to be able to grab the tassel end and squeeze the corn out the other end, but I guess I'm not strong enough because I've never gotten it to work like that. So I just pull off enough layers of husk to expose the corn, then grab the tassel and the rest of the husk and pull it off sideways. I can get almost all the silk to come off that way.

Good luck with it and let me know how it goes.

Sylvia
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Cynthia: I enjoyed the Fitbit link. Thanks for the smile.:flowerforyou:

Alison: Washing floors, doing laundry shopping and packing ALL burn calories. Take care.:flowerforyou:

Meg: I hope you are able to connect with the “Colorado Ladies who Lunch.’” 7.76 inches of a rain in one day in NE, and people say it rains in Oregon? It does NOT rain 7.76 inches in a single day.:noway:

Patty: Sam and Viv are in my payers. Let us know how things go.:flowerforyou:

DS and DDIL are on their way and stuck in traffic on I-5 in WA. No surprise there. Washington needs a secondary route so people can avoid I-5. When they get here we’ll have diner. Luckily we chose foods that can be prepared quickly. Surgery tomorrow. Please keep my son and his surgeon in your prayers.

Katla in beautiful NW Oregon

“Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time.” Thomas A. Edison

June Goals:
    1. Log every bite and swallow.
    2. Cardio exercise at least 3 days a week.
    3. Have fun every day.
    4. Drink at least two glasses of water daily, preferably more!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,641 Member
    Options
    Dora from Athens, butterflies02 – welcome

Barb – for me personally this is way better than the “programs” with provided food; I get bored and love love to cook. So this lets me eat what ever and fit it into my day by adjusting my other eating and exercise. But Measuring in cups, teaspoons and the scale is a critical component.

Cynthia – Levi is other dog aggressive on lead and only a little better off, he’ll be ok for 3-5 min and then bites. GRRRR

Alison – the troll!!! OMG – LOL!!!

Katla – sending good thoughts to DS!!!

BJ – I love Ted Talks too…

Sylvia – I don’t think you should ask hubby for your new cologne for Christmas. Cute joke!

Heather – I am beyond exhausted tonight and I need you to come fix me dinner!

Robin and Bodi - so glad he is getting better… he’ll be playing soon!

Diane – welcome back

Corn – in the shuck and all – microwave for 4 min. per ear, then cut off the end without the silk so the husk is no longer attached to the cob. Then starting at the silk end squeeze the corn out - there are videos on you tube.

Patty – oh dear – sending good thoughts – keep us posted.

So day one of camp went great - and I did better than I expected on trying cookies, we made brownies, m&m cookies and the chocolate cookies to turn into Ice Cream sandwiches later in the week.

I just wore the pedometer during class - as for this week I want to take the calories as exercise- so 7,800 steps in the kitchen and 401 calories... then next week I will wear it and not take the calories but see step count... just as one more challenge - but some level of activity is in the MFP as I listed myself as lightly active.
    I am so tired I can barely think. and starved but will have to make me a meal... grrr to much work.

Kim in N. cal.
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Sending prayers that she is safe and returns home soon :flowerforyou:
    :heart:
    Jen in NY
  • sparklenglitter
    sparklenglitter Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Jen in NY

I send my thoughts and prayers , the lord will help to guide.
    ♥♥♥
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    I walked 18,194 steps today! I got an email from fitbit saying it was more than three times the national average! Needless to say, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm considering going out again before dark to get those last 1800 steps, and make an even 20,000, but hubby is afraid I'm overdoing it. Party pooper. I earned almost 800 calories today!

Patty, I do not pray, but I am hoping very, very hard for Viv's safe return. Please keep us updated when possible.

Katla, best wishes for your son tomorrow too.

Meg, I laughed myself sick at the thought of people peeing in your window at you!

Goodnight ladies.

Sylvia
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies...trying to keep up with the discussion, but wow! Loved the joke and the boss called the troll...I can totally relate...
    Went to the lake for the weekend, but worked in the yard and gardens..feeling it today but it was more like steady "puttering" than actual chores...DH has started with the many steps for the new roof project...can I say Pandora's box is open....took down a poorly built, unused chimney with non-existent flashing and what do you find...yup lots of rotten wood :grumble: ...on the corner of the house:grumble: ...yup has to be re-built....I am not going up next week...hope he gets part of it done:wink:

Had a very busy Monday at work...so came home and did some pool jogging...my pool is round so I run in circles..6 laps one way...six laps the other way...I also do laps of grapevines and backwards...I am thinking I might start using some hand weights to add some more arm exercises...any thoughts? I have heard mention of Aqua Zumba...are there dvd's out there for that...of course my neighbors might really call in the guys with the white coats for that...or perhaps some would join me...

I wish I was better at commenting to others, but my mind is generally pretty cooked by the time I read up on the virtual neighborhood and the iPad doesn't have an easy way to do another document...that I know of anyway:ohwell:

Have a good night, all...high fives and hugs
    Jen in NY, where it is very summer like, but still good sleeping weather at night...at least so far!
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Patty...also praying for Viv's safe return!

We left home Friday for Minnesota....and left there Saturday for a wedding in Barre Mills, Wisconsin. It was a lovely wedding and fun reception. Got to see many relatives including my 90 year old dad.

Sunday we came to Wisconsin Dells with my son, daughter in law and 3 grand sons. We are staying at a water park and having a great time. My job is mainly holding the 4 month old...and I don't mind at all! We'll be here 2 more days and then back to Minnesota for a day or so...and then home.

We're having so much fun that I have only skimmed through a couple of pages. I promise to catch up later.

Eileen from the Wisconsin Dells (usually near San Diego)
  • Cindy781
    Cindy781 Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Jen in NY

Adding my prayers for Viv.

Cindy in OK
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    I am alive and mostly well. (We won't discuss my mental health!). :glasses: Pretty overwhelmed with house stuff, although painting seems to be finished. Took the boy child to two doctor appointments today--doesn't have to see gastro again for NINE months! Woohoo!!!

Hope to do a real post tomorrow. Prayers, good vibes, and hugs to those in need (especially Patty's friends) and kudos to those with successes.

Carol in NC
  • meyllisa
    meyllisa Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: just lurking and marking my spot

prayers for all in need

safe travels for those on holiday

welcome to all new ladies

take care all

juanita in sudbury
  • sparklenglitter
    Options
    Joyce in Indiana, I am glad you are taking care of yourself amd getting in to see the Dr. I have a question . ? I have noticed I am not as regular as I feel I should be in the errr...uhmm,,...bathroom. ..it baffles me with taking into account all of the veggies and salads I
    consume, does anyone else have that going on? Or, not going !!
  • moeggep
    moeggep Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Thanks all for the thoughts and prayers.Viv was found safe asleep on a park bench.
  • sparklenglitter
    Options
    Amen. :flowerforyou: