WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JUNE 2014

Options

Replies

• yanniejannie
    yanniejannie Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Good Wednesday to all!

My back was much improved until this am........slept in the bed last night and slept well........went to get up from a sitting position in the bathroom and had a massive back spasm which made me gasp.........it's feeling kind of tender now and I'm moving very gingerly. I do remember this happening other times when I hurt it somehow. For some reason, standing up from the toliet just does it in.

Other than that, life is good here...........I am absolutely loving having DD around for as long as this will last; I've hardly seen her for the past 2yrs., even when she was home, she was rushing off to one of her jobs or the library or in her room reading for class or working on a paper or thesis.........I am truly enjoying every second. Planning a short trip to Chincoteague, possibly next week, to see the new crop of ponies before their annual pony swim..........this was somethng we used to do every year when she was about middle school.

Sylvia.......most drs. in the US have VERY little nutritional education. He should have been doing cartwheels for you........and WE all know this!!!! Metroprolol is one of the drugs Gwen has had to have dosage adjusted more than once........good for you for getting rid of it completely. Have you had a bone scan? Might be a good idea before you start anything with as much impact as jogging.

Michele.............HAPPY, HAPPY dance for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Bet you are walking on air today!!!

Margaret.........That bit about taking care of yourself first being OK and necessary
    wise, wise advice. We used to split hosta in the spring with an ax or other sharp edged implement.........one of the reasons I was surprised by the fall advice.

Meg...........YAY for your A1C.........my DH was recently changed to Januvia as his levels were creeping up.

Patty..........No real advice here. I know my life certainly didn't turn out in any way I could have imagined; I think it's not how it turns out, but how you handle it. Only you know how much you are unhappy vs. your financial situation.

Jacqueline...........So sorry about your loss. I had my cashed paycheck stolen on my first job...........it was devastating to me, really affected how I looked at patients, co-workers and the world for a long time.

Off to take Gwen to a dr. appt.

yanniejannie
  • mkd1955
    mkd1955 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Good Morning, all!
    An update on the Mediterranean Veggie Burgers – they weren’t horrible, but they needed more flavor. I think I would like to find some things to add to them. Here is the recipe; I would love to get some opinions on what else I could add…… Really trying to eat healthier.

1 cup peeled and diced potato (from an 8-ounce russet potato)
    2/3 cup cooked garbanzo beans (also known as chickpeas), coarsely mashed
    1/2 cup finely chopped kale
    1/3 cup quick-cooking oats
    1/3 cup finely diced roasted red bell pepper
    1/4 cup pitted Kalamata olives, sliced
    3 tablespoons finely chopped parsley
    1 tablespoon onion granules
    1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

Cook potato in boiling water until very soft, about 15 minutes. Drain and cool slightly.

Preheat the oven to 400°F. In a large bowl, combine potato and remaining ingredients. Use your hands to break up chunks of potato and press the ingredients until they hold together. With damp hands, form into patties* about 4 inches in diameter and 3/4-inch thick. Place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake 15 minutes, then flip burgers and continue to bake until lightly browned on other side, about 15 minutes longer.

I don’t know who Viv is, but I am glad she surfaced, too.

I use my fit bit on a daily basis, it gives me the nudge to walk a little farther when I need to. I have it synced with my cell phone so I can always check to see where I am at. We have a “WalkOff Challenge” here at work, too. The fit bit syncs with that and keeps track for me.

Carol in NC – Whew, you certainly have a lot on your plate. You’re right though, you can only handle what you can control. When stuff like that happens, I try to remember the Serenity Prayer. I haven’t participated in structured religion for years, but that prayer seems to get me through.

Sylvia – Can’t physician’s be annoying? And now with everything in the computer, they are typing and you do wonder if they are listening. But keep asking questions. There is a history of Cardiomyopathy in my family (not me, thank goodness), but listening to my siblings, they ask questions and more questions. Don’t let them bully you.

Sherry – welcome back. Have you thought about trying to walk at lunch time? It makes a nice break in the day.

Michele – so happy you heard from Bryan

Meg – Congratulations on the A1c. I am working on mine too. The last one was 6.8. A little higher than the one before, but maybe I can get it down.

There are just so many comments, I can’t keep up! I hope you all understand. You are amazing women.

Exercise today: 45 minutes on the elliptical. Hopefully I will still be awake by 3!

DH and I are going to see the house that our DS wants to buy. It’s an older home, but in a decent area. I am proud that he is taking this step. We will see what kind of shape it is in. I don’t want him to purchase a money trap!

Have a lovely day!

Kathy in SJ
  • Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies!:happy: Going to be a beautiful day and I am looking forward to my walk home from work this afternoon. I did good at the birthday party last evening and walked the dogs when I got home. Was under my calories for the day. One thing I have noticed since I connected my fitbit to MFP, it will add calories to my count for the day giving me more. I am trying to stay close to the 1200.
    Realized this morning that 6 months today till Christmas. This year is flying by.

Carol--sounds like your DS is growing up. I agree with the others and you need to take care of you. Sounds like alot of stress with your church. Have you told the pastor how let down you feel? Hugs and prayers.:flowerforyou:

Yanniejannie--glad your back is feeling better. "inherited" clothes are the best as since I am still losing I don't want to spend alot of money.

Sylvia--I know they spend most the visit typing in the laptops. One thing I do like about my doctor is he will sit facing me while we talk and then type. I feel these new doctors just think they can cure everyone and don't really listen. I do hope stopping the one med makes a difference. I don't understand his thoughts on your weight loss, it is working.

Michelle--Great news hearing from Bryan. God does answer prayers in his own time.

Meg--Fantastic AC1. I get mine done again the end of July.

Katla--Good news about DS's surgery. Hope he heals quickly.

Allison--Breath. Please take care of you and enjoy this time with the DGDs. :flowerforyou:

Patty--how exciting and new grandbaby to love. I agree whenever DH or I am in the hospital the other one is there. To many times I have seen things happen and grateful for not being alone. Sending prayers your way to help you figure out the answers. I know what you mean and I am trying to think more postive. contentment and compassion are my words for this year and is alot harder then I expected. One day at a time. I had a sister that was very bitter and she kept track of everything she felt anyone did to her or didn't do. She was hooked on pills, but said she didn't as they were from a doctor. She passed away about 9 years ago. I miss her, but know she is not in pain anymore.:flowerforyou:

Jacqueline--How scary.I would be so paniced if I lost mine.

Cindy-congrates on the good doctors visit.
    Well must get to work. I am off work tomorrow and must balance the checkbook as have not done it for several months. I am trying to keep things done and current and that is the main thing I have left. Going to the vets club for supper as they are having a fund raiser for the vet's trip to DC. Like to help where we can.
    Blessings, Vicki GI NE
  • Snip8241
    Snip8241 Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Dear Barbie,
    Line dancing NW Washington? I am in Frederick. I would love to know where!
    Cindy in MD
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,135 Member
    Options
    I am trying to keep up!!!

Lin in Central Iowa
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    YannieJannie, I love Chincoteague! We went last year and it was very nice. It was the week before the ponies went swimming, but we got to see them running free on the island.

Barbie, I don't have my diary open because when I first started on MFP I got some negative - RUDE - comments from some of the younger whipper snappers on another thread who thought they knew it all. My diet is really very boring. I tend to find foods I like that are low in sodium and eat those often, sometimes the same thing every day. On a very typical day I have:

Breakfast -
    Frosted Mini Wheat cereal - 0 sodium
    Skim Milk, 12 ounces - 180 mg sodium

Lunch -
    Fruit (orange, pear, grapes, apple or something) - 0 sodium
    Strawberries - 5 mg sodium (I love strawberries)
    Salad - lettuce and tomatoes, no dressing, no croutons, no bacon, no cheese - 30 mg sodium
    Swiss cheese slice - 70 mg
    Baby Carrots - 65 mg

Dinner-
    Chicken Breast, no sodium added - 70 mg sodium
    Sweet potato - 41 mg sodium
    olive oil - 0 mg sodium
    Corn on the cob - 0 mg sodium

Snack-
    100 calorie fudge bar - 50 mg sodium
    Watermelon - 2 mg sodium
    Raisins- 0 mg sodium

That totals 480 mg of sodium. Some days I don't eat quite that much, some days I go over a little but not much. I use no-salt seasonings exclusively, so don't add any sodium to what's already in the food. I don't eat bread much, and only when I make my own without salt. I don't eat crackers, chips, or salted nuts, or anything like that either. Occasionally I will add a hard boiled egg, which adds another 75 mg or so. Once or twice a month I will go to Taco Bell and have two crunchy tacos for lunch which have 620 mg. Also, once a month I go get an ice cream cone which has 60 mg. So you can see that I'm trying really hard to avoid sodium, but I think I may have gone overboard. When they told me in the hospital to avoid salt, I took them at their word. Nobody ever told me how low to go. After doing it for a year it's hard to change now.

I was out walking this morning and was accosted by three very large dogs and two small dogs who all wanted to be petted. Of course, I complied, and then they followed me for most of my 2 1/2 mile walk. I looked like the pied piper, and my own dogs were not amused when I got home. I love the neighbor dogs, but this is getting crazy. They are going to be hit by a car one of these days. I tell them to stay, but they don't. I don't know where their people are.

Here is the joke of the day:

:happy:

A poet and a scientist were traveling together on a plane. The scientist was bored and said to the poet, "Hey, you, do you want to play a game? I'll ask you a question, and if you get it wrong, you give me $5. Then, you ask me a question, and if I can't answer it, I'll give you $5."

The poet thought about this for a moment, but he decided against it, seeing that the scientist was obviously a very bright man. He politely turned down the scientist's offer.

The scientist, who was really bored, tried again. "Look, I'll ask you a question, and if you can't answer it, you give me $5. Then you ask me a question, and if I can't answer it, I'll give you $50."

The poet agreed. "Okay," the scientist said, "what is the exact distance between the Earth and the Moon?"

The poet, obviously not knowing the answer, didn't stop to think about the scientist's question. He took a $5 bill out of his pocket and handed it to the scientist.

The scientist happily accepted the bill and promptly said, "Okay, now it's your turn."

The poet thought about this for a few minutes, then asked, "All right, what goes up a mountain on three legs, but comes down on four?"

The bright glow quickly vanished from the scientist's face. He thought about this for a long time, taking out his notepad and making numerous calculations. He finally gave up on his notepad and took out his laptop, using his Multimedia Encyclopedia. As the plane was landing the scientist gave up. He reluctantly handed the poet a $50 bill.

The poet accepted it graciously, getting ready to stand up. "Wait!" the scientist shouted, "you can't do this to me! What's the answer?"

The poet looked at the scientist and calmly put a $5 bill into his hand.

:laugh:

I hope you all have a great day!

Sylvia
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,878 Member
    Options
    Hello to all: Welcome to newbies! Went to water exercise this morning. The usual instructor was on vacation and we had a substitute. She was nice but the workout was not quite as good. She did a lot of chatting and did not keep things moving along well. Food choices have been good so far this week. I am really working on cutting out as much sugar as possible. Sweet things are really my downfall but I have done two days now with very little sugar. Today is going well.

Michele - Glad Bryan finally got in touch with you.

Healing angels to all who need them and congratulations to all with victories. Sue in SD
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy hump day!
    last day for Violet`s mini vac.here.
    Busy busy.
    HUGS
    jane
  • LucyT4dieting
    LucyT4dieting Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

I skimmed the posts, but wish I had more time to actually read through them all. There is so much going on, but skimming doesn’t give me enough information to respond to everyone.:grumble:

We had a wonderful weekend in DC. The weather was wonderful! We spent Thursday evening in Old Town Alexandria and ate at one of the little pubs there. The food was wonderful and very inexpensive….they had a steak special so I got a fillet mignon with baked potato and vegetable for 14.99 and it was really good! We spent all day Friday in DC where we went to the Natural History Museum, The National Archives and the National Art Gallery….LOTS of walking! My feet were burning, but my DMIL is a trooper….almost 80 years old (this year) and she kept up! Unbelievable! Went to Joe Theismann’s for dinner and couldn’t resist Salted Caramel ice cream for dessert. On Saturday we went to Georgetown. They have a cupcake place called DC cupcakes that had people lining up down the street to purchase those cupcakes, so of course we had to stand in line for some. After all that, I’d have to say that although they were good, they weren’t all that special after all….certainly not worth the calories (or standing in line!).:noway:

I’m working on giving up added salt, which is a big deal for me as I am a salt-a-holic! I bought Mrs. Dash and have been adding that wherever I would normally add salt. It’s certainly not the same, but I’m hoping I’ll get used to it.:ohwell:

I had a beautiful hanging basket of lobelia which has turned brown. I watered it twice a day every day, so I don’t know what I did wrong. I trimmed all the brown and am hoping it comes back, but it’s not looking too promising.:frown:

We have radishes already! Everything else we planted is still growing, but the radishes are plentiful and delicious if a bit oddly shaped! I can’t believe how fast they mature.:flowerforyou:

I did manage to see Suzy’s post about her GYN issue. I had a huge fibroid that caused heavy bleeding and cramps for years. My gynecologist kept telling me I needed a hysterectomy, but I wouldn’t do it because I didn’t want to take the time off work needed for recovery. It finally got to the point where I couldn’t go to work on certain days because the blood would just pour out of me. That’s when I finally gave in and had the hysterectomy. That was about 12 years ago, and it was the best decision I ever made. No more bleeding….no more cramps, and another benefit I got was that I used to have to wear a mini-pad every day because I leaked urine if I coughed, sneezed, jumped, etc. Having the fibroid removed fixed that problem as well. I wish you luck with your diagnosis:heart: .

Katla – So happy things are better with your son.:smile:

Sylvia – Thanks for the laughs!:laugh:

Everyone else – Hang in there! We are all in this together!:happy:

Previous and Current Goals:

Consistent logging (Could be better)
    Drink at least 9 glasses of water a day (80%)
    Find an exercise class I enjoy (Maybe when I semi-retire next year?)
    RUNNING OUTDOORS (Yep and loving it!)
    LOWER SODIUM FOODS (Trying!)
    STOP OBSESSING ABOUT FOOD (Hmmmmm…..)

Congrats to all on their success, and (((hugs))) to all who are struggling.

Hugs,
    Lucy in DE. :bigsmile:
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon everyone!

Suzy: lots of doctors! I hope everything works out. I seldom make cookies either; it’s too hard not to eat too many of them. :sad:

Cathy: I am very happy with my Fitbit. Since I don’t walk much the calorie estimations are probably pretty approximate, but it motivates me and I like seeing how active I am (or am not).

Rita: glad to see you again.

Carol: hugs to you. I see some strength bubbling up again. :flowerforyou:

Sylvia: glad you got in to see the cardiologist. You are tapering off the metropolol, right? You can’t just stop it. Sounds like you’re doing just great with your walking and diet. Just look at your results!

Michele: glad you heard from Bryan!

Meg: yay on the lab work! Anaconda… :laugh:
    Katla: hope you get some rest.

Alison: poor Homer; can he wait that long for the surgery? Hope you get some rest as well.

Patty: :flowerforyou:

Had a busy day. Trying to get used to the arrhythmia feeling; if I can do that I won't have to take the beta blocker. We'll see.

Hope everyone has a good day1
    Cynthia :flowerforyou:
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Cynthia, no he just said to stop taking it. He didn't say anything about tapering off. Maybe I should go talk to the pharmacist.

Sylvia
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    Hi Sylvia, I just know they told me to taper it off. Maybe it has to do with the dosage. Checking with the pharmacist might be a good idea.

Cynthia
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Sylvia, I am not on Metaprolol but am on the same kind of classification of drug. They are beat blockers and are used for a myriad of problems. It lowers heart rate which is what I take it for.

I don't think we are going to get nay rain today! I hope the whole week is dry and this kind of temperature. We are at 86* right now. One of our local country clubs is the site of a golf tournament in the Web.com tour, the stepping stone to the PGA tour. 2 years ago the whole week was in the 100+ range. It was awful for them. If it wasn't for my MS I would love to be a volunteer. We love our PGA golf, I guess because it is a gentlemen sport. We have a guy that was born and raised here in Evansville that is on the pGA tour that we follow but he is very inconsistent in his playing. He is almost 30 now and never won on tour. This year he is doing bad enough that if he doesn't get his butt in gear he will be bumped off the tour and have to prove himself on the Web.com tour. The guys name is Jeff Overton.

Joyce, Indiana
  • dlpappas
    dlpappas Posts: 14
    Options
    Hello ladies.

I love reading everyone's posts and I have to figure out how to reply/comment on so many of them! You all have so much advice and support and have so much going on in your lives. In short, my prayers are with all of you having struggles. May the Lord watch over and guide you. He is good - lean on Him. So happy to hear about Viv's safe return! As I get to know you all better (and get more tech-savvy), I'll respond to more. Sometimes I feel like that woman who "posts" her photos to the actual wall in her home and "unfriends" her friend who says that's not how to do it!! :laugh: I'm at a computer all day long, but it's for work, not this kind of thing! I'll get there, though!

For exercise, it's hard because I sit at a desk all day. I do wear a pedometer so I'm more aware of moving. Does anyone know how to convert steps to calories? Or can you! Would a heart rate monitor do the same thing? Barbiecat, I know you use a HRM - can that worn all day like a pedometer?

Cheers to all. Wishing you all much success on your goals - one step, one day, at a time.

Diane
  • kevrit
    kevrit Posts: 3,936 Member
    Options
    Bump so I can find this thread again!

Wish I had more time!!!!

Rita from CT.
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good afternoon! I had a nice reply typed out but evidently closed out my window before posting. :grumble:

I know that part of it was sappy because I was trying to tell y'all how much you and your support mean to me. The supportive comments after my last post were really meaningful.

Patty - I know what you mean about the job. I need a new one and have for years. I am letting fear paralyze me. The fear of change, the fear of being too old to be hired, the fear that I can't do anything else, the fear that I'll be let go (for whatever reason) and be out of work, the fear of accepting a job and not being able to do it, and it goes on and on. I need to get my butt in gear over the next year if I want to find something different and find something that will travel if I still need it when I move back to the mountains. We'll boost each other!! :drinker:

I got some sleep last night (with the dreaded Ambien) until about 3:30 a.m. when I woke up and my mind immediately went into panic mode. I took a Xanax and read until I could fall asleep again.

Oh! I went out "drinking" with the boys last night after my meeting (they drink beer, I drink water and/or cranberry juice)! I love my Finance Team meetings because some of my favorite people are there. These two that I had dinner with last night are both older than I am--one by 9 years and the other by 15-18 years--and both are married. They boost my ego in so many ways. The older one had told me some months ago that he thought I was in my early forties. Turns out the other one guessed that I was 42-43 and acted downright upset when he found out that I am the same age as his new wife! :laugh: :bigsmile: :laugh: And, they both thought my ex was in his mid to late sixties! (He's nine months older than I am.) It's all okay because I know their wives and am good with them. That was a couple of hours that I probably should have been working on my house, but it did me a world of good to just go out and laugh for a while.

As for doctors with computers...I am glad they have the computers because it let's them have immediate access to my records. It's especially handy for my GP because he can see reports from my gyno or ortho doctors in the same practice. I have to say that the ones I see are really good at looking at me and listening to me before taking the time to type anything. If they didn't, I would be seeing someone else. :tongue: My GP chart is probably 10 inches or more thick!

Prayers and good vibes for those who are suffering and kudos those experiencing success!

Carol in NC
  • JoyceMccormack1958
    JoyceMccormack1958 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Hi, I've been part of the MFP community for over a year, initially made good progress. Then came a little unstuck and have gained some of the weight I'd lost. However I ended up in hospital with a suspected heart attack. Had lots of tests which all came back clear more tests still in the pipeline. The upshot of this is that it jolted me back onto the right track regarding healthier eating. My local health practioner runs a weight loss programme, which I've signed up for. Good start so far, 1kg down last week. I have T2 diabetes and other health issues so really need to work at getting into shape. OH, finds dealing with my health issues very stressful, feeling in need of support. Have two sons, who are young adults- 21 & 18 and I want to be around to see their journey into adulthood.

Joyce, posting from :smile:Shetland - a remote Scottish island in the middle of the North Sea.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Saving my place:bigsmile:
  • mollywhippet
    Options
    Cynthia, the pharmacist said cold turkey is ok, especially since I'm on three other BP meds, so I feel better having checked. Thanks for the heads up.

Sylvia
  • CynthiaT60
    Options
    OK Sylvia, good job there. Hope this will help you!
    Cynthia