Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Just bumping this old thread. Nothing to see here.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Just bumping this old thread. Nothing to see here.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    Options
    Eff it. I'm bumping this one, too. Because reasons.
  • Leslierussell4134
    Leslierussell4134 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    In case it is relevant my background is a Ph.D. in molecular biology with a focus on protein biochemistry. 9 years of research experience with 5 years of infectious disease drug development research part of which is performing toxicology assays on potential drugs. In my opinion there is no evidence or reason to suspect mechanistically that aspartame is toxic or carcinogenic.

I do NOT think that expertise or background is proof that someone is correct so I invite anyone and everyone who is interested to look into this yourself. I just mention it because I know I will likely be asked.

Thank you for the information, I love these topics, bio, Chem and patho. Just beats watching a new mini series on TV!! I'm going to look into it myself and deepen my understanding. Keep it coming!
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    daily bump
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    And bump.
  • wanttobefit300
    wanttobefit300 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Well, I suffered for 5-6 years with neuropathy in my feet until a friend suggested it might be aspartame. I didn't believe it because I used so little. However, when I quit as a trial, I started having withdrawal symptoms that were unbelievable! Needless to say, I never used it again. Still have problems with the neuropathy (damaged nerves don't come back easily), but now have a medication that helps with it. Also, after quitting aspartame, my cholesterol dropped another 15 points.

Aspartame is not a natural substance, and chemists don't know enough about how the human body works to say for sure how anything will affect it. So, if you don't have reactions from it and want to use it, OK. But serious problems can take years to develop. If you start having difficulties of any kind, try giving up the artificial sweeteners and see if it helps.
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Options
    Well, I suffered for 5-6 years with neuropathy in my feet until a friend suggested it might be aspartame. I didn't believe it because I used so little. However, when I quit as a trial, I started having withdrawal symptoms that were unbelievable! Needless to say, I never used it again. Still have problems with the neuropathy (damaged nerves don't come back easily), but now have a medication that helps with it. Also, after quitting aspartame, my cholesterol dropped another 15 points.

Aspartame is not a natural substance, and chemists don't know enough about how the human body works to say for sure how anything will affect it. So, if you don't have reactions from it and want to use it, OK. But serious problems can take years to develop. If you start having difficulties of any kind, try giving up the artificial sweeteners and see if it helps.

So, you quit aspartame because you thought it might be causing your neuropathy, and still had neuropathy after you quit. But you still think the neuropathy was caused by the aspartame? Okay.

Did you even read the OP? Aspartame is nothing more than aspartate and phenylalanine. Two completely natural amino acids found in proteins.
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Meh no matter the issue...I think aspartame tastes like crap anyways and makes me bloated like I'm pregnant. Hate the stuff.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

I fail to see the logic behind stopping a substance to help something else, and then when you stop said substance, the "something else" is still there...yet, still blame said substance.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    spoonful wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to ingest something that needs a defense like that?

I've seen this same argument used by people who avoid flu shots. Oddly, the fiercer the defending arguments become, the more entrenched people become about the supposed dangers. I asked our safety rep why there was barely any mention of the supposed link between immunization and Aspberger's and he said "The more you repeat it, even if it is false, the more people give it credence."

So, even if Aspartame is harmless, saying "it's not toxic!" will continue to perpetuate the false belief that something must be wrong.

It's a shame, as it is a kind way to bring sweetness without calories in to the diabetic's and dieter's regimen.

Immunization too. It has got to be one of the most natural ways to combat disease, alerting our own antibodies to defend. Say, as compared to antibiotics or chemo drugs.
  • Krystle1984
    Krystle1984 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    This was very informative, thanks! I try and limit my aspartame intake because I was advised by my dietician that, like caffeine, if consumed with food it impairs the bodies ability to absorb calcium and iron. Having been diagnosed with Coeliac disease 5 years ago I was severely anaemic and there was some concern for my bone density so it made sense to avoid both. I started drinking naturally caffeine free tea (peppermint or redbush) and limited diet soft drinks until at least one hour after eating.

Curious if anyone knows if there's any truth to what I was told? My iron levels certainly improved much more quickly after making the change but not sure whether cutting back on caffeine/aspartame was the reason? I never cut either out entirely, just stopped drinking them with meals. :)
  • thesnoozyone
    thesnoozyone Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Aaron_K123 wrote: »
    In case it is relevant my background is a Ph.D. in molecular....
    I do NOT think that expertise or background is proof that someone is correct so I invite anyone and everyone who is interested to look into this yourself. I just mention it because I know I will likely be asked.

This...is why science is great. People who will ask to be proved wrong instead of just accepting ideas as they are. Thank you for that curiosity sir.
  • IEatVeg
    IEatVeg Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I ended up in the hospital several times before my doctors figured out that aspartame was making my brain swell. I have serious neurological issues and this is a VERY BAD THING for me. Obviously not everybody has a reaction to it, but for some of us, it absolutely is not safe to consume.

I will get a migraine-like headache if I even eat one stick on Nutri-sweetened gum.

Thanks for this post, I got sick of all the people saying "omg I'll start drinking diet Pepsi now!" I'll just stick to drinking water as I think the OP has been paid to post here ha!

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,658 Member
    Options
    It's a little scary because sucralose is so much better, but it will work in a pinch.
  • snikkins
    snikkins Posts: 1,282 Member
    Options
    Ah the tin foil hats and thinly veiled personal attacks are out.

This remains one of the best posts ever.
  • MFD7576
    MFD7576 Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    That picture was scary as hell though...

I personally don't like the taste of fake sugars. Any of them. I just opt for water when given the chance now lol.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited June 2015
    Options
    I always wonder why people who drink diet sodas and get headaches or whatever specifically attribute it to the aspartame. There are a lot of other ingredients. Perhaps it's one of them. That being said I do know that some people can be allergic to aspartame. But I also know someone allergic to chicken. And I know people who get headaches from coffee. Just because a food is bad for one person doesn't mean it is bad for all people.