Why Aspartame Isn't Scary

Options

Replies

• paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,021 Member
    Options
    Is anyone really worried about the calories in artificial sweeteners???

I mean, they are so negligible.

For the record I am not. But I do use a lot of them. I use 9 in my tea (it's a big cup so 2 teas lol) and if I make a large cup of coffee I need about 22 of them In the cup lol. So it could add up to 100 calories for me if I drank hot drinks regularly lol

That does seem a lot.

I dont use artificial sweeteners in tea or coffee - my only source of them is diet sodas.
    Data base tells me 375ml of diet coke has 1 calorie - so I'm not bothered about counting that even if I drink a couple of cans per day.
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Well I hate the taste of sodas in general, and artificial sweeteners tase really bad to me so I avoid them completely. I never actually add sugar to my tea or my coffee, so that's another reason.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

For the record I am not. But I do use a lot of them. I use 9 in my tea (it's a big cup so 2 teas lol) and if I make a large cup of coffee I need about 22 of them In the cup lol. So it could add up to 100 calories for me if I drank hot drinks regularly lol

Dang girl! I just started drinking coffee and I do 2tbsp of flavored creamer and then 1/2 packet of artificial sweetener. And if I accidentally put the whole packet in I have to dump it because it's too sweet for me lol.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Just finished this thread. Took me a week. Not bad, considering it's older than I am in MFP years.

I love you guys.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

I expect no one does. Calorie effect is about zero but some are concerned about the short/long term impact of the chemical intake from them over a lifetime.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Dang girl! I just started drinking coffee and I do 2tbsp of flavored creamer and then 1/2 packet of artificial sweetener. And if I accidentally put the whole packet in I have to dump it because it's too sweet for me lol.

See now im the opposite, i hate the taste of coffee haha, i only started drinking coffee cause my sleep is terrible now from weight loss.. needed caffeine but i gotta have it sweet like a rich dessert to be able to choke it down lol

Bleh. Black and dark is the ONLY way to drink coffee :)
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. no... i cant even drink instant coffee lol.. i tried, i also have to drink coffee with a straw cause the taste of it in my mouth drinking from the cup is just awful lol

Lord, why would you try instant coffee? Double Bleh.

I don't drink through a straw but I'm told it helps avoid tooth discoloration.

And the truth is, I gave up on adding things to coffee years ago as I'd go to get coffee at work and we'd be out of milk or sugar. Just became easier to drink it straight up.

I still don't like the taste of fake sweeteners (to get this somewhat back on track).
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    For me, some sweeteners, like Stevia, dont taste sweet to me at all - even if I use a tablespoon of the stuff in a mug of tea or coffee it just tastes peculiar, whereas a product like Splenda DOES taste sweet to me, so I use one packet - same with Equal. I still keep sugar in the house, but also use artificial stuff in some baking recipes. the other day I made an Asian short ribs recipe in the crockpot and used brown sugar Twin as a sub for the brown sugar in the recipe. Turned out great.
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I don't drink fizzy drinks because they make me burp really loud for a good hour

I know this is an old reply but I'm just finally reading this thread all the way through. The quoted would be more of a reason for me TO drink it than not.

Agreed.
  • Windrunner666
    Windrunner666 Posts: 91 Member
    Options

See now im the opposite, i hate the taste of coffee haha, i only started drinking coffee cause my sleep is terrible now from weight loss.. needed caffeine but i gotta have it sweet like a rich dessert to be able to choke it down lol

Bleh. Black and dark is the ONLY way to drink coffee :)

Agreed.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

I expect no one does. Calorie effect is about zero but some are concerned about the short/long term impact of the chemical intake from them over a lifetime.

Someone didn't read the OP.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    For me, some sweeteners, like Stevia, dont taste sweet to me at all - even if I use a tablespoon of the stuff in a mug of tea or coffee it just tastes peculiar, whereas a product like Splenda DOES taste sweet to me, so I use one packet - same with Equal. I still keep sugar in the house, but also use artificial stuff in some baking recipes. the other day I made an Asian short ribs recipe in the crockpot and used brown sugar Twin as a sub for the brown sugar in the recipe. Turned out great.

None of them taste right in my coffee and given I only use half a teaspoon or so, I just stick with regular sugar.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    Options

It has, literally, never crossed my mind to buy artificial sweeteners to bake with. Can you tell a difference if you were to make cookies using an artificial sweetener? I have no aversions to them... just never thought of it. Every great now and then I get a headache from diet coke from the bottle, but I think that's diet cokes fault, diet pepsi has never. As I'm typing that, I realize it's probably in my head. Haha.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    brittyn3 wrote: »

It has, literally, never crossed my mind to buy artificial sweeteners to bake with. Can you tell a difference if you were to make cookies using an artificial sweetener? I have no aversions to them... just never thought of it. Every great now and then I get a headache from diet coke from the bottle, but I think that's diet cokes fault, diet pepsi has never. As I'm typing that, I realize it's probably in my head. Haha.

Some people can apparently tell the difference - I can't. At least, not if I (OK, my wife) use the Splenda that is specifically for baking.