Replies

• brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    brittyn3 wrote: »
    cross2bear wrote: »
    For me, some sweeteners, like Stevia, dont taste sweet to me at all - even if I use a tablespoon of the stuff in a mug of tea or coffee it just tastes peculiar, whereas a product like Splenda DOES taste sweet to me, so I use one packet - same with Equal. I still keep sugar in the house, but also use artificial stuff in some baking recipes. the other day I made an Asian short ribs recipe in the crockpot and used brown sugar Twin as a sub for the brown sugar in the recipe. Turned out great.

It has, literally, never crossed my mind to buy artificial sweeteners to bake with. Can you tell a difference if you were to make cookies using an artificial sweetener? I have no aversions to them... just never thought of it. Every great now and then I get a headache from diet coke from the bottle, but I think that's diet cokes fault, diet pepsi has never. As I'm typing that, I realize it's probably in my head. Haha.

Some people can apparently tell the difference - I can't. At least, not if I (OK, my wife) use the Splenda that is specifically for baking.

I might have to try this with chocolate chip cookies. Baked goods are my kryptonite. I feel like someone just told me pigs can fly, I'm a little too excited about this way over due, epiphany/realization/duh moment.

OP, I've been following this thread since you first created it. I've learned a lot. Around this same time, people started coming out with how scary AF's were. I love me some diet coke and jack.. mmm. Cheers!
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    Good to hear that it's safe ! I use sweeteners in my tea and sometimes wondered if it was bad for me. On a side note I am sure they performed lab tests and asparatme caused cancer or something in mice ?

Nope. The rats got cancer at a slightly lower rate than they normally do. This does not mean that aspartame prevents cancer, or anything. Just that it didn't cause it. Unfortunately, the media typically has no clue regarding science and just looked at the one number and ran with it, not realizing that the result was negative.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    For me, some sweeteners, like Stevia, dont taste sweet to me at all - even if I use a tablespoon of the stuff in a mug of tea or coffee it just tastes peculiar, whereas a product like Splenda DOES taste sweet to me, so I use one packet - same with Equal. I still keep sugar in the house, but also use artificial stuff in some baking recipes. the other day I made an Asian short ribs recipe in the crockpot and used brown sugar Twin as a sub for the brown sugar in the recipe. Turned out great.

It has, literally, never crossed my mind to buy artificial sweeteners to bake with. Can you tell a difference if you were to make cookies using an artificial sweetener? I have no aversions to them... just never thought of it. Every great now and then I get a headache from diet coke from the bottle, but I think that's diet cokes fault, diet pepsi has never. As I'm typing that, I realize it's probably in my head. Haha.

I can tell the difference, but it's clearly an individual thing.

It's also very dependent on the specific cookie. I'd be more likely to be fooled if the cookie had a strong flavor than if it were a simple butter or sugar cookie.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

Splenda baked goods will brown a bit faster. Splenda with brown sugar.....is just half Splenda and half regular brown sugar, so no need to buy a separate product. Dark brown sugar is going to have a stronger flavor, so cutting back wouldn't be as noticeable.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You can also buy xylitol or erythritol for baking. Xylitol has calories, but fewer than sugar.
  • cronus70
    cronus70 Posts: 191 Member
    Options

My sister in law's boyfriend is diabetic so I made a baked cheesecake using Splenda as a sugar substitute (first time ever) and it turned out great..... we all smashed it and he took the rest home to gorge on
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    https://cancer.org/cancer/cancer-causes/aspartame.html

After I got off of all sweeteners it does not taste good to me but this is from the ACS on the subject.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options

After I got off of all sweeteners it does not taste good to me but this is from the ACS on the subject.

And what is your interpretation of this article? What conclusions have you drawn from it?
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »

And what is your interpretation of this article? What conclusions have you drawn from it?

I just took it at face value.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options

Excellent. Since the conclusion is largely the same as the title of this thread "Aspartame Isn't Scary" and that aside from a very specific diagnosed medical condition (PKU), then there are no health concerns linked to the consumption of aspartame.

You mean this part?

"Should I limit my exposure to aspartame?

Aside from the effects in people with phenylketonuria, no health problems have been consistently linked to aspartame use. Research on artificial sweeteners, including aspartame, continues today."

:)

Yep, that's the one...

That's what I thought.
  • SashaQ1381
    SashaQ1381 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    This was around 1995, the Internet was just getting started, and I didn't know about any "danger" websites, which did not exist at the time. I did one of the first 20,000 sites on the Internet and that was in 1995, trust

Wow, you look WAYYYY too young!

• GaleHawkins
    edited April 2017
    Options

Excellent. Since the conclusion is largely the same as the title of this thread "Aspartame Isn't Scary" and that aside from a very specific diagnosed medical condition (PKU), then there are no health concerns linked to the consumption of aspartame.

The article did not say there were no health concerns linked to the consumption of aspartame as I read it. It said something like data about health concerns over aspartame were not consistent.

Below are some posts by concerned consumers that shows there are others with health concerns.

epilepsy.com/connect/forums/women-epilepsy/aspartame-poisioning-linked-lupus-fibromyalgia-ms-and-seizures

"For 16 years, the FDA refused to approve aspartame. In fact, the FDA’s own toxicologist told Congress that: “Without a shadow of a doubt, aspartame can cause brain tumors and brain cancer and violated the Delaney Amendment, which forbids putting anything in food that is known to cause cancer.” — FDA Toxicologist, Dr. Adrian Gross"

I think the question marks about Aspartame being safe for all groups of humans have not been clearly answered by science to the satisfaction of all consumers. While I can not speak for others drinks containing aspartame caused me some discomfort back when I still consumed it. That is in no way proof it is safe or not safe for others. We are all different.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

The article did not say there were no health concerns linked to the consumption of aspartame as I read it. It said something like data about health concerns over aspartame were not consistent.

epilepsy.com/connect/forums/women-epilepsy/aspartame-poisioning-linked-lupus-fibromyalgia-ms-and-seizures

"For 16 years, the FDA refused to approve aspartame. In fact, the FDA’s own toxicologist told Congress that: “Without a shadow of a doubt, aspartame can cause brain tumors and brain cancer and violated the Delaney Amendment, which forbids putting anything in food that is known to cause cancer.” — FDA Toxicologist, Dr. Adrian Gross"

I think the question marks about Aspartame being safe for all groups of humans have not been clearly answered by science to the satisfaction of all consumers. While I can not speak for others drinks containing aspartame caused me some discomfort back when I still consumed it. That is in no way proof it is safe or not safe for others. We are all different.

Having aspartame cause you "some discomfort" does not equate in any manner to whether or not a product is safe to consume - for you or anyone else. It just shows that for you, the product didn't agree with you for whatever reason. :)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options

Having aspartame cause you "some discomfort" does not equate in any manner to whether or not a product is safe to consume - for you or anyone else. It just shows that for you, the product didn't agree with you for whatever reason. :)

Very true. It is the science folks concerns about the safety of humans consuming aspartame that concerns me more that what consumers may or may not say.