Is fruit fattening?

Options
12346»

Replies

• wheird
    wheird Posts: 7,963 Member
    Options
    How can fruit be fattening when it has zero fat?!

Tell me that, smart people. :angry:
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    How can fruit be fattening when it has zero fat?!

Tell me that, smart people. :angry:

i butter my pineapples, so yes...fattening.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Here's a scientific study that links vegetarianism to protein malnutrition and increased risk of cardiovascular disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21872435

We can now conclude, by the rules of this thread, that all people who follow a plant-based diet suffer from protein malnutrition and are at an increased risk for cardiovascular disease. Because a link has been thrown down, people.
  • _HeartsOnFire_
    _HeartsOnFire_ Posts: 5,304 Member
    Options

Oh do keep the fear mongering going, you're on a roll.

It isn't fear mongering, it is recognizing human psychology. I work with a lot of overweight people as a nutritionist and personal trainer. Every single one of them says the same thing. "I eat in moderation, but I can't lose weight". I ask them for a food log, and I find their concept of moderation is very different what I would consider moderation. Only one cupcake a day to them compared to only two cupcakes a year to me. I tell them "You moderation is purely subjective, and if you are overweight, your subjective view of moderation is obviously not conducive to maintaining a healthy weight. "
    Lol. All high and mighty.

Life would not be worth living if I could only eat two cupcakes per year. But...that's just me and I love to bake. I've also always been a healthy weight...I use this site to maintain or lose a little after work travel. :)

I guess all my weight loss is a fluke, considering when I have a cupcake - usually about 1x a month - I have 2 a day for 2 days. Oh the horror!

I'm also on a plant based diet, but I do know that moderation is key to weight loss. The reason people gain weight is because they don't understand really what moderation is, and of course everyone's idea of what moderation is, is different because all of our calorie goals are different.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    I sure hope not, cause I've been eating half a watermelon erry day for the past week.

Anything that you can manage to eat enough of to go into caloric surplus is fattening. I mean, if you can manage to eat an entire field of broccoli without dying of explosive diarrhea, I'm pretty sure you'd put on a couple pounds of chub.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Vegans are the only diet group in the US with, on average, a normal BMI. Maybe you should listen to people in the only group who, on average, are NOT overweight.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19351712

You might want to read the full text of that study

Some evidence indicates a temporal relationship between initiating plant-based diets and leanness (2,3), though a randomized study found that a vegetarian diet did not improve long-term weight loss (25).

Our data are cross-sectional and do not allow causal inferences to be made.

The cohort was not representative of the general population; i.e., participants were church attendees. Members who choose vegetarianism are likely to be more compliant with other church tenets and to differ from nonvegetarians with regard to major determinants of type 2 diabetes

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/32/5/791.long
  • amwbox
    amwbox Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Calories are calories, and sugar (despite being a different sort in fruit) has the same caloric impact.

Just don't make the mistake of assuming that something is good for you because its natural. Its not. Nature doesn't care about you at all, and "natural" does not mean good.
  • PinkyFett
    PinkyFett Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    Well, anything can be fattening if you eat too much of it.