Confused about diet soda (coke, pepsi etc)

Options

Replies

• Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to drink diet soda because I hate the flavor of it. But in 2009 I was diagnosed with Epilepsy and my neurologist said ABSOLUTELY NO artificial sweeteners of any kind. He said they have all been linked to an increase of seizure activity. No I don't have a link to any studies. I am just telling you what he said.
  • Julzanne72
    Julzanne72 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    This topic is riveting......(reading and sipping on my delicious Diet Dr Pepper-yes, I am devil drink, bahahahaha, but it tastes so good)
  • WaynesGurl
    WaynesGurl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Diet Pepsi is much better than Diet Coke

How so?

OP, I don't think diet soda's are harmful at all - that said, 2 litres does seem a lot of it to drink every day - I would maybe cut back to 1/4 of that and try to drink more water instead.
    No need to cut it out entirely - just perhaps cut back to a more moderate level.

Take the Pepsi challenge. You will see.

lol
  • Aaron_K123
    Aaron_K123 Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    I have never been able to drink diet soda because I hate the flavor of it. But in 2009 I was diagnosed with Epilepsy and my neurologist said ABSOLUTELY NO artificial sweeteners of any kind. He said they have all been linked to an increase of seizure activity. No I don't have a link to any studies. I am just telling you what he said.

Which is exactly how misinformation spreads. People who don't bother to confirm things but just "tell others what someone else said" because why not right. Doctors can be just as reactionary as anyone else to the news of the day posted on internet blogs unfortunately.
  • Janautical
    Janautical Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    2 litres a day is pretty high in my opinion OP, I think you would benefit from adding more water instead seeing as soda can dehydrate you. My other warning is my friend's mother damaged her esophagus lining from drinking about two litres a day of Diet Coke. I haven't drank soda in a month and I feel much better for it. If you feel like you want to make the switch, I encourage you to do so.
  • eddiesmith1
    eddiesmith1 Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary

I have yet to see a science-based argument against diet sodas.

This

Diet soda makes you hungrier. There has been many studies done with kindergardeners the idea being they are less conditioned than adults. They give half diet pop and half regular pop and then are left alone for X amount of time in a room with readily available food. In study after study the half given regular soda consumed less food than the half that was given diet soda. This has been repeated separating the groups completly, co-mingling w/e. The science is simple, diet pop makes you eat more and that isn't good for weight loss. I don't personally like all the processed sugar and chemicals either, but if nothing else science shows it makes you hungry.

I kind of hate water, so what I do it juice cherries and lemon to add to my water all day. I just put it in a litle jar and bring it with me. 1/2 tablespoon per 32 oz makes it taste like koolaid, but way less calories and natural sugar vs processed/bleached. Lemon juice is very low calorie, you have to watch your cherries.

the latest research on 318 people in a U of NC study actually debunks that and says it has no effect
    The study, published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, found that water and diet fizzy drinkers reduced their average daily calorie intake at the start of the study from between 2,000 and 2,300 calories to 1,500 to 1,800 calories.

Six months in, the only differences were that those who drank water ate more fruit and vegetables and those who drank diet fizzy drinks ate fewer desserts, compared to beginning of the study.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2281559/Diet-drinks-DONT-make-hungry-New-research-quashes-myth-cause-junk-food-cravings.html#ixzz33h1UyGbY
    Follow us: @MailOnline on Twitter | DailyMail on Facebook

As I mentioned earlier I don' drink a lot of diet soda myself but i do drink it.
    I make my own Cherry Bitters (and lots of other bitters for that matter) and add them to Sparkling Water or Club Soda but I like something with the illusion of sweet as well/
  • Pipsg1rl
    Pipsg1rl Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking any "soda" and also sweet tea at the beginning of the year as a result of a juice fast I was doing. (My choice, not yours, don't knock it.)

What I did find is that I'm more sensitive to the taste of artificial or non "sugar" sweeteners and don't even want to drink diet or "sugar free" soda type drinks.

La Croix is a flavored carbonated water with no sugar, calories, etc. It gives me that sensation of soda that I like but none of the other stuff.

I also can't drink Crystal Light or those sparkling water drinks in the skinny tall containers b/c they give me migraines. (ETA: I think they are called ICE drinks - flavored as fruit or lemonades).

The other beneficial side effect is since I'm not drinking sodas I don't order the combo meal when I go to lunch any more. So I've cut out most of my potato or SunChip consumption, too!

Personally I liked Diet Pepsi (max sometimes) and Diet Cherry Coke. Diet Coke with Lime is awesome with Malibu..
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Aspartame, like any sweetening agent, activates the reward pathway in the brain just as sugar does. That is why it appeals to our taste buds. We like sweet. It's a treat. It's a reward and we look forward to having more. This reward pathway, though not being activated by sugar necessarily, still serves the same purpose and reminds our palate that for something to be tasty and appealing it should be sweet. This contributes to sweets cravings. Cutting from regular to diet sodas will drop sugar, yes, and that is awesome for your pancreas (aka prevent diabetes), your teeth, your figure, and even the function of your intestines (see, Candida). However if we replace sugared drinks with sweet drinks we are still cueing our body to demand sweet foods when it comes to meal time and hunger. If you deal with sweets cravings often, making changes in your diet will cause your palate to shift (aka taste bud preferences) and your body will start responding positively to the less sugary, more nutrient dense foods. Cutting the sweet (artificially or otherwise) drinks will help the process significantly!

As for aspartame, studies have been presented that it attacks the nervous system and studies have been presented debunking that research as myths. Nervous system advocates claim that it leads to tremors, headaches, even Parkinson's syndrome. I've read claims on both sides. The only information I've encountered personally was a nurse working in a neuro doc's office who had a 12 year old with chronic migraines who always chewed artificially sweetened gum and would drink diet cokes. He read some research, told her mom to make her cut it out for a while and the migraines quit. Regardless, aspartame doesn't do anything beneficial for us, nor do sodas. Cutting back is tough, change is tough, but it beats the alternative when sodas affect the body in negative ways otherwise.

Kidneys filter blood. They've got their work cut out for them anyway, throwing a bunch of extra chemicals, minerals, colors, flavorings, etc. when all they want is a good H2O flush is asking for them to eventually get pissed and go on strike. Kidney stones, anyone? Or worse, kidney failure if other health problems compound the issue. The more water given, the easier they can do their job and rest in between (so to speak).

Sodas are acidic. Our bodies function best in an alkaline (basic) environment. Acidic environment of the body is where disease flourishes, cancer cells can multiply faster, bacteria thrives, none of that makes us feel good. What else causes an acidic environment? Sugar. Fried foods. Even meat. What makes a basic environment? All those health foods like veggies, nuts, seeds, (fish maybe?), fruits, herbs, and of course, water. I'm no nutrition fanatic (just love learning it), so I'm not saying go live in the woods and eat the plants. Unless you want to. But if we are already eating in a culture of breads, sugared desserts daily, French fries/chips/fried-everything-ever, beef and chicken galore, why pour gallons of acidic soda into our body weekly, too? This is what makes us feel like crap. Ps, stress creates an acidic environment, too. We owe ourselves some H2O.

Another reason to drink water? Caffeine has a diuretic effect - meaning it causes water loss. Aka, dehydration (gradually, certainly, but sodas don't hydrate, they dehydrate). Dehydrated tissues make organs work harder (sorry again, kidneys), and even affect muscle work. Our muscles glide across each other smoothly. When dehydrated those sliding surfaces become sticky, causing restrictions, causing little tug of wars across the joint, contributing to pain or, when active, injuries.

And of course, soda is harsh on tooth enamel and stains teeth. If nothing else, we want to keep those pearly whites looking good. Cut back a little, or ideally a lot. There are ways to spice up the water, as mentioned previously. If you're not ready to give up carbonation, flavor it with fruit. If water doesn't appeal to you, try infusing - take a big glass container/jar/water dispenser, fill it with water and add slices of strawberries or lemons, oranges, cucumbers, mint, cherries, have some fun. Plus it looks fancy and guests will be impressed with your cool refreshing water. You can use the same fruit and refill the jug with water a few times before you have to replace the fruit slices.

Diet soda and aspartame may not be THE devil, and yes there are greater evils... but let's be real. We're not exploring these message boards for ways to make our bodies fatter and more uncomfortable. Water - it does a body good. Cheers!

This!
  • Sie_Con
    Sie_Con Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Yup, as everyone already said, diet soda is full of chemicals and that is just not good for your body. On the other hand, if you're just trying to lose weight, then obviously it's more helpful than regular soda because of the calorie count.

I understand it's really hard to give up. I'd try having a can with lunch, maybe one in the afternoon and one with dinner. Cut it down to 3 per day and try drinking homemade iced tea or just water with some lemon in it. Your body and your teeth with feel healthier!

I don't drink soda on a day to day basis, but I occasionally will drink a Hansen's Blue Sky (all natural) soda. They are delicious and they have a Zero Calorie line that is sweetened with Truvia and they are sold in a ton of regular stores (Safeway, Albertson's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Costco). I would highly recommend switching if you still need a soda or two per day.

Good luck!!
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Everyone read this thread http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary before spreading anymore FUD

That's why the FDA has the Aspartame toxicity file made public when it appeared on the docket to be heard and listed as a neuro-toxin.

http://www.fda.gov/ohrms/dockets/dailys/03/jan03/012203/02p-0317_emc-000199.txt

And a petition by a fear mongering crackpot is supposed to prove what, exactly?

http://americanloons.blogspot.com/2011/02/154-mark-gold.html
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Aspartame, like any sweetening agent, activates the reward pathway in the brain just as sugar does. That is why it appeals to our taste buds. We like sweet. It's a treat. It's a reward and we look forward to having more. This reward pathway, though not being activated by sugar necessarily, still serves the same purpose and reminds our palate that for something to be tasty and appealing it should be sweet. This contributes to sweets cravings. Cutting from regular to diet sodas will drop sugar, yes, and that is awesome for your pancreas (aka prevent diabetes), your teeth, your figure, and even the function of your intestines (see, Candida). However if we replace sugared drinks with sweet drinks we are still cueing our body to demand sweet foods when it comes to meal time and hunger. If you deal with sweets cravings often, making changes in your diet will cause your palate to shift (aka taste bud preferences) and your body will start responding positively to the less sugary, more nutrient dense foods. Cutting the sweet (artificially or otherwise) drinks will help the process significantly!

As for aspartame, studies have been presented that it attacks the nervous system and studies have been presented debunking that research as myths. Nervous system advocates claim that it leads to tremors, headaches, even Parkinson's syndrome. I've read claims on both sides. The only information I've encountered personally was a nurse working in a neuro doc's office who had a 12 year old with chronic migraines who always chewed artificially sweetened gum and would drink diet cokes. He read some research, told her mom to make her cut it out for a while and the migraines quit. Regardless, aspartame doesn't do anything beneficial for us, nor do sodas. Cutting back is tough, change is tough, but it beats the alternative when sodas affect the body in negative ways otherwise.

Kidneys filter blood. They've got their work cut out for them anyway, throwing a bunch of extra chemicals, minerals, colors, flavorings, etc. when all they want is a good H2O flush is asking for them to eventually get pissed and go on strike. Kidney stones, anyone? Or worse, kidney failure if other health problems compound the issue. The more water given, the easier they can do their job and rest in between (so to speak).

Sodas are acidic. Our bodies function best in an alkaline (basic) environment. Acidic environment of the body is where disease flourishes, cancer cells can multiply faster, bacteria thrives, none of that makes us feel good. What else causes an acidic environment? Sugar. Fried foods. Even meat. What makes a basic environment? All those health foods like veggies, nuts, seeds, (fish maybe?), fruits, herbs, and of course, water. I'm no nutrition fanatic (just love learning it), so I'm not saying go live in the woods and eat the plants. Unless you want to. But if we are already eating in a culture of breads, sugared desserts daily, French fries/chips/fried-everything-ever, beef and chicken galore, why pour gallons of acidic soda into our body weekly, too? This is what makes us feel like crap. Ps, stress creates an acidic environment, too. We owe ourselves some H2O.

Another reason to drink water? Caffeine has a diuretic effect - meaning it causes water loss. Aka, dehydration (gradually, certainly, but sodas don't hydrate, they dehydrate). Dehydrated tissues make organs work harder (sorry again, kidneys), and even affect muscle work. Our muscles glide across each other smoothly. When dehydrated those sliding surfaces become sticky, causing restrictions, causing little tug of wars across the joint, contributing to pain or, when active, injuries.

And of course, soda is harsh on tooth enamel and stains teeth. If nothing else, we want to keep those pearly whites looking good. Cut back a little, or ideally a lot. There are ways to spice up the water, as mentioned previously. If you're not ready to give up carbonation, flavor it with fruit. If water doesn't appeal to you, try infusing - take a big glass container/jar/water dispenser, fill it with water and add slices of strawberries or lemons, oranges, cucumbers, mint, cherries, have some fun. Plus it looks fancy and guests will be impressed with your cool refreshing water. You can use the same fruit and refill the jug with water a few times before you have to replace the fruit slices.

Diet soda and aspartame may not be THE devil, and yes there are greater evils... but let's be real. We're not exploring these message boards for ways to make our bodies fatter and more uncomfortable. Water - it does a body good. Cheers!

This!

No...not that. What is "the reward pathway"? What are the metabolic breakdown products of aspartame and how do they affect the body any differently that foods from "natural" sources? What we get is personal anecdotes about how someone knew someone who got headaches when they drank this particular thing. That isn't evidence of anything.

Sodas do not contain enough caffeine to cause a net water loss, far FAR from, so soda is still hydrating.

Sodas are acidic but that acidity doesn't extend past our stomach which is already very acidic, our blood is bicarbonate buffered and that isn't going to change because you drink soda.

Only thing in here I consider even remotely plausible is the idea that regular soda (or coffee for that matter) consumption could stain teeth or erode enamel over the long term.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/1308408-why-aspartame-isn-t-scary

I have yet to see a science-based argument against diet sodas.
    bahhahahaah

so it MUST be good for you!

No, but that doesn't mean it's bad for you either. No benefits other than hydration and flavor but it's not going to cause you to grow an extra ear either.
  • ruthejp13
    ruthejp13 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Absolutely agree. Go read what brain surgeon Dr Jack Kruse says that aspartame does in the brain and how it messes with your metabolism.
    Where's the actual science that backs it up? And from a guy who's been suspended by the Association of which he practices in?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You might be interested in this: http://youtu.be/nTUbDwmZmAY you might want to start at minute 2.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Yup, as everyone already said, diet soda is full of chemicals and that is just not good for your body. On the other hand, if you're just trying to lose weight, then obviously it's more helpful than regular soda because of the calorie count.

I understand it's really hard to give up. I'd try having a can with lunch, maybe one in the afternoon and one with dinner. Cut it down to 3 per day and try drinking homemade iced tea or just water with some lemon in it. Your body and your teeth with feel healthier!

I don't drink soda on a day to day basis, but I occasionally will drink a Hansen's Blue Sky (all natural) soda. They are delicious and they have a Zero Calorie line that is sweetened with Truvia and they are sold in a ton of regular stores (Safeway, Albertson's, Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, Costco). I would highly recommend switching if you still need a soda or two per day.

Good luck!!

I don't think you read what everyone said...
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    2 litres is a bit too much sorry to say, nothing wrong with diet soda, and I'm sure you can go back to the normal full fat now and again just log it. Log diet soda too.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    OP, I agree with others that 2 liters is a bit excessive. Try replacing half of that with sparkling water if you still want the fizz. Personally, I love fizzy drinks and got myself a SodaStream so I can fizz my own. Half of what I drink is plain fizzy water and the other half is either one of their diet soda mixes or their "My Water" essences which basically makes your water into flavored seltzer like LaCroix, Klarbrunn, etc.

I haven't read anything that convinces me that aspartame is bad in moderation. I have noticed that, if I drink more than a couple of glasses of diet soda, it makes me fart more than usual. Of course sauerkraut also makes me fart more and French onion soup gives me the runs so I don't worry about it too much.
  • Aaron_K123
    Options
    Absolutely agree. Go read what brain surgeon Dr Jack Kruse says that aspartame does in the brain and how it messes with your metabolism.
    Where's the actual science that backs it up? And from a guy who's been suspended by the Association of which he practices in?

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

You might be interested in this: http://youtu.be/nTUbDwmZmAY you might want to start at minute 2.

Is that you? Did you just link us to a video of you talking? I'm sorry but I don't find a video of you voicing your opinion to be particularly convincing especially one that relies so heavily on emotion plea.

Aspartame is not "a chemical known to cause brain tumors"
    The comment about FDA is false.
    Poison?

This is just an emotional plea based on absolutely nothing. I am sorry but there is nothing wrong with aspartame. As soon as aspartame hits your stomach it is metabolized into phenylalanine, aspartate and methanol...all of which you get much MUCH more of in your normal diet than you would ever get from soda.
  • gabrielleelliott90
    gabrielleelliott90 Posts: 854 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Actually, if you google, there is no proof of anything aspartame does to the brain....it's nowhere near enough to damage the brain. You would have to have a tonne of it in your body for it to take effect....
  • Aaron_K123
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Actually, if you google, there is no proof of anything aspartame does to the brain....it's nowhere near enough to damage the brain. You would have to have a tonne of it in your body for it to take effect....

Not to mention aspartame is metabolized before it even reaches the blood so if you test the blood of someone who ingests aspartame there is none present in your blood at all. There is no way it could even get to your brain let alone evidence it has an effect.

Citation for metabolic breakdown and blood levels: http://informahealthcare.com/doi/abs/10.1080/10408440701516184
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

think-of-the-children.jpg