OK Ladies...Be HONEST!!

Options

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm speaking less on an individual level and more about how are society and gender norms are setup as a whole. 90% of the women at the gym at dressed in skin tight form fitting clothes. 90% of the guys are in shorts and a tshirt. I think this is just the way we've all been conditioned and we don't even realize why we're doing the things we do anymore. Anyone else see the Speedo thread earlier? There were so many "no don't wear it. that's wierd. etc" responses. So for a guy to show is body with tight clothes it's odd but for a female it's normal?

Uh... how many guys do you see wearing underarmour at the gym? TONS.
  • KBjimAZ
    KBjimAZ Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Yet another MFP thread that validates the awesomeness of the workout area in my garage.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    Hmm, I'm speaking less on an individual level and more about how are society and gender norms are setup as a whole. 90% of the women at the gym at dressed in skin tight form fitting clothes. 90% of the guys are in shorts and a tshirt. I think this is just the way we've all been conditioned and we don't even realize why we're doing the things we do anymore. Anyone else see the Speedo thread earlier? There were so many "no don't wear it. that's wierd. etc" responses. So for a guy to show is body with tight clothes it's odd but for a female it's normal?

Yeah, except that's not what you said at all. You're backpeddling. You said that women should be fine wearing baggy clothes because men like it and you implied, more or less, that we are doing it for attention.

A discussion on gender norms in society is a completely different and relevant discussion to have. Although, I see more men with compression shorts under their shorts than not...

It's normal for women to wear tighter clothes for a lot of reasons, most of which have already been discussed here.

1. Tight clothes don't ride up, bunch up and/or show off parts we don't want shown off. If I do a handstand in a lose t-shirt, everyone is going to see everything. So, I wear a tight tank.

2. Baggy pants get in my way when I'm squatting, dead lifting and cleaning.

3. Some activities at my gym require long pants.

4. Tighter clothes give extra support to certain parts.
  • PRMinx
    Options
    That's the 10%. You do see fitter guys in it. Just like you see big guys with ripped shirts that are so ripped their not really shirts anymore. The more average to chubby the guys get the less you see that. On the female side of things you see women of all sizes wearing tight stuff. It's just a thing.

It's a "thing" for good reason.
  • SwashBlogger
    SwashBlogger Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    an appreciative glance is appreciated, as others have stated. Trying to spot camel toe, not so much. I will say that I know a lot of women who are convinced men are hitting on them when they are just being friendly/helpful. Get over yourselves.
  • taramaclaren
    taramaclaren Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Also, what men seem to forget sometimes is that we are at the gym to work without interruptions not there to be stared at all day.

This is true when it's true and false when it's false. I'm guessing the girl at my gym who wears a sports bra and spandex shorts that creep up her crack wants to be noticed just a weeeeeeeee bit more than the girls in baggy shorts and a t-shirt. Also, because the phrase "I just dress this way to be comfortable" is bound to come up I'm going to throw the BS flag already. If I can be comfortable in a tshirt and basketball shorts so can a girl. Tight close are optional and you're wearing them for a reason beyond any sort of function or comfort. It's not even bad that you're showing off but it's silly not to admit it.

I'm sorry, but this is completely dependent on the person. Opinions on what's comfortable are not universal.

I just find it ironic that men don't seem to need skin tight clothes to be "comfortable." Could it be that maybe, just maybe, there's some other reason women's workout clothes are skin tight? And since when do women care about comfort? They prance around in 6 inch heels all day but wearing a pair of semi baggy shorts is uncomfortable? That's just silly.

You're a real gem.

For the record, I hate wearing baggy shorts and baggy shirts to CrossFit. It gets me jammed up on certain lifts and I always feel like people can see up my shorts. Also, there's rope climbs and I hate those stupid socks. I wear tight Reebok capris and a tank. And, no, I don't wear them for the men in the class.

Sorry kid. You are outnumbered. Let's approach this from a different angle:

Go buy some spandex pants, work out, and then come back and talk to me about the burden of societal norms. They're comfortable as heck and I'm guessing you will enjoy a new and improved range of motion/support.

Bulky clothes get in the way of most athletic endeavors. When is the last time you saw a baggy football or track uniform??

PS - if you want to wear a speedo, wear a speedo. Maybe just don't post a picture to MFP.
  • JLHNU212
    JLHNU212 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    It depends on the mood I am in! :)

I am either going to think that you like what you see and work a little harder

-OR-

I am going to believe that you are thinking "man, she is NOT working hard enough and should probably be here every hour she is not sleeping, because she is fat, and not P-H-A-T, but FAT!"

But that is just my own insecurity (I am working on it!) from being overweight for so long! So if I catch you looking my way, you will either get a smile or a scared to death look followed by a quick look away, because I am trying to play it off like I didn't notice you! And the only way I am going to really catch you is if I wanted to check you out! :)
  • PRMinx
    Options
    That's the 10%. You do see fitter guys in it. Just like you see big guys with ripped shirts that are so ripped their not really shirts anymore. The more average to chubby the guys get the less you see that. On the female side of things you see women of all sizes wearing tight stuff. It's just a thing.

It's a "thing" for good reason.

Couldn't it be a "thing" for many reasons? I'm sure the guy that buys a Ferrari did so because it's a fun car to drive. He probably likes the way it looks too. Also, he probably likes the attention it gets him and the statement it makes (look at me, I'm rich!).

I'm sorry. I realize that you really, really, really want to make this about women trying to get attention from men. Although, I'm not sure why you are so obsessed with this fact. It's pretty creepy, actually.

I'm pretty comfortable saying that the majority of women wear tight clothes to workout because it's more comfortable and it improves workout performance.

It's really not about you.
  • wardamnirish
    wardamnirish Posts: 395
    Options
    Anyone else see the Speedo thread earlier? There were so many "no don't wear it. that's wierd. etc" responses. So for a guy to show is body with tight clothes it's odd but for a female it's normal?

Perhaps if you quit worrying about what others might think and just wear what works best for whatever it is you're doing, that will eventually become the new normal.
  • Z_I_L_L_A
    Z_I_L_L_A Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I'm in the gym to workout not socialize. Get in get out. That being said I do admire a strong woman working out. I notice them and then go about my workout. Thats it. We have 2 big gyms in town owned by the same company. One is sweat and guts type with the same equipment as the other. The other is a social club basically and I won't go there, too much goofing off and socializing. I have female friends that workout with me sometimes because they said the men won't bother them while they're with me. And I thought it was because they just liked my workouts,damn.

Now crossfit gyms are different, we respect each other and are all good friends. We just sweat together.
  • yo_andi
    yo_andi Posts: 2,178 Member
    Options
    I'm not at the gym for your viewing pleasure. If you are leering at me, I will call you out on it. Publicly, and loudly. Also, don't be a douche.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    Why aren't NBA uniforms skin tight? Pro soccer uniforms? Male tennis player uniforms? MLB uniforms (some seem tighter than others)?

Baseball leggings are tight generally speaking, as are football.. Ever played baseball or football?

Wait, wrestling too? Olympic lifting, gymnastics, figure skating, cycling? Need I continue?
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I don't want someone ogling me, but it's human nature to look at people, especially people you find attractive. It's not offensive as long as it isn't creepy.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    It's the same as anywhere else. If I see a guy turn around and leer, it's nasty. If he walks past me with a straight face and then I catch a reflection in a window of him turning around and checking out my *kitten*, it makes me feel fine as hell. Just remember there are mirrors everywhere, and you are still under the three second rule. Appreciate, don't stare.
  • johnnyhatesjazz
    johnnyhatesjazz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you notice the Fun and Games section of this. The topics titled Would you sleep with the person above you ...or Naked swimsuit or clothed... or pass hug spank marry or date....All or most of these threads are started by the ladies Just saying If ladies say they hate when being stared at, Why are all these threads being started by them then.. We men aren't starting these flirt threads :smile:
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I just find it ironic that men don't seem to need skin tight clothes to be "comfortable." Could it be that maybe, just maybe, there's some other reason women's workout clothes are skin tight? And since when do women care about comfort? They prance around in 6 inch heels all day but wearing a pair of semi baggy shorts is uncomfortable? That's just silly.

So, it's ok to leer at guys in bike gear?
  • Elenagreek
    Elenagreek Posts: 10
    Options
    The Funniest thing in this post is that girls with statements like "I don't care If they stare at me" or "I don't even pay attention" have profile pictures with their butts. Hey girls, you show your butt in a webpage to strangers and you are telling us you don't want to have "the looks" on it when you work out at gym?