Pro tip: Read the comments before commenting on a workout

Options
davemunger
davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
Hey folks, just a tip from a fellow fitness buff. If you really want to be supportive of your friends, make sure you read the comments on their workouts before you write "great workout!" Just because someone burned 800 calories doesn't make it great.

Typically folks will log their exercise, then comment to let folks know how it went. Some examples:

* "I was planning on running 20 miles but bonked at mile 8 and had to take a cab home" is not a "great workout!"
* "I was hoping to ride 50 miles at 20 mph but could only hit 18" is not a "fantastic ride!"
* "I strained my hamstring doing squats" is not an "awesome session!"

In these cases, a more appropriate comment would be something like "hope you feel better soon" or "you'll kill it next time!"

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Hey folks, just a tip from a fellow fitness buff. If you really want to be supportive of your friends, make sure you read the comments on their workouts before you write "great workout!" Just because someone burned 800 calories doesn't make it great.

Typically folks will log their exercise, then comment to let folks know how it went. Some examples:

* "I was planning on running 20 miles but bonked at mile 8 and had to take a cab home" is not a "great workout!"
    * "I was hoping to ride 50 miles at 20 mph but could only hit 18" is not a "fantastic ride!"

In these cases, a more appropriate comment would be something like "hope you feel better soon" or "you'll kill it next time!"

maybe you need to post this on your wall if this is what your 'pals' do!
  • davemunger
    Options
    tl;dr but I'll assume this was a great post! Awesome job!

Great reply!
  • DeltaZero
    DeltaZero Posts: 1,197 Member
    Options
    tl;dr but I'll assume this was a great post! Awesome job!

+1
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

I've never seen any of my friends do that. Then again, I rarely comment on logged exercise.

I would consider running 8 miles and riding 50 miles at 18 mph great workouts. It's certainly better than no workout at all. And it's more cardio than I'd ever do.

What an odd thing to complain about.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Great post Dave, I agree that people should be more supportive of their friends diets and choice of workout clothing.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    donttellmewhattodo.gif
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,731 Member
    Options
    I post what I want! You ain't the boss of me!

60cb0e1737d08124a2100377ec9f1ce9.jpg
  • davemunger
    Options
    I've never seen any of my friends do that. Then again, I rarely comment on logged exercise.

I would consider running 8 miles and riding 50 miles at 18 mph great workouts. It's certainly better than no workout at all. And it's more cardio than I'd ever do.

Lots of people would. But it all depends on the individual. I've seen "great workout" posts when someone got injured during the workout. You consider that "odd to complain about"?
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Way to strain that hamstring, OP! Nice burn.
  • DeltaZero
    Options
    Great post Dave, I agree that people should be more supportive of their friends diets and choice of workout clothing.

tumblr_n6nxxj3luW1qj4315o1_500.gif
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    60cb0e1737d08124a2100377ec9f1ce9.jpg

mesmerising....
  • _lyndseybrooke_
    _lyndseybrooke_ Posts: 2,561 Member
    Options

Lots of people would. But it all depends on the individual. I've seen "great workout" posts when someone got injured during the workout. You consider that "odd to complain about"?

A bit, yes. Then again, I'm annoyed by insignificant things as well, so who am I to say anything?
  • DeltaZero
    Options
    PRO TIPS
    tumblr_moh1nq0yM41r8ijvko1_500.jpg
    tumblr_moh1nq0yM41r8ijvko2_500.jpg
    tumblr_moh1nq0yM41r8ijvko3_500.jpg
    tumblr_moh1nq0yM41r8ijvko4_500.jpg
    tumblr_moh1nq0yM41r8ijvko5_500.jpg

#101 - "Read the comments something something"

:flowerforyou:
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options
    Omg...:explode:
  • sseqwnp
    sseqwnp Posts: 327 Member
    Options

So take it up with that person. How's about "Odd to complain about in the forums". We don't care.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    Just because someone had a goal for their without and didn't reach it doesn't make it a bad workout.
  • sassyjae21
    sassyjae21 Posts: 1,217 Member
    Options

What a stupid thing to complain about.

FIFY
  • George_Baileys_Ghost
    George_Baileys_Ghost Posts: 1,524 Member
    Options
    Can I still click 'like' indiscriminately? *crosses fingers and shuts eyes really tightly* pleasesayyespleasesayyespleasesayyes
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    giphy.gif