Pro tip: Read the comments before commenting on a workout

Options

Replies

• runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options
    Hey folks, just a tip from a fellow fitness buff. If you really want to be supportive of your friends, make sure you read the comments on their workouts before you write "great workout!" Just because someone burned 800 calories doesn't make it great.

Typically folks will log their exercise, then comment to let folks know how it went. Some examples:

* "I was planning on running 20 miles but bonked at mile 8 and had to take a cab home" is not a "great workout!"
    * "I was hoping to ride 50 miles at 20 mph but could only hit 18" is not a "fantastic ride!"
    * "I strained my hamstring doing squats" is not an "awesome session!"

In these cases, a more appropriate comment would be something like "hope you feel better soon" or "you'll kill it next time!"

+ 1

A small note - body fitness gurus / strength training and ballet dancers on MFP may or may not be able to understand this post and may cause the confusion with cat gifs.

This post is more for Runners and Endurance folks.

What if I have to pause my Jillian Michaels DVDs a bunch of times?

Yes, that falls into Endurance category. Jump on.
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Hey folks, just a tip from a fellow fitness buff. If you really want to be supportive of your friends, make sure you read the comments on their workouts before you write "great workout!" Just because someone burned 800 calories doesn't make it great.

Typically folks will log their exercise, then comment to let folks know how it went. Some examples:

* "I was planning on running 20 miles but bonked at mile 8 and had to take a cab home" is not a "great workout!"
    * "I was hoping to ride 50 miles at 20 mph but could only hit 18" is not a "fantastic ride!"

In these cases, a more appropriate comment would be something like "hope you feel better soon" or "you'll kill it next time!"

+ 1

A small note - body fitness gurus / strength training and ballet dancers on MFP may or may not be able to understand this post and may cause the confusion with cat gifs.

Your comment is totally unnecessary....
    wchmap.gif
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options

+ 1

wchmap.gif

Yep, this. Wow.
  • runner475
    runner475 Posts: 1,236 Member
    Options

+ 1

wchmap.gif

In that case jus' ignore... And I'm out of here. Gotta drink coffee.
  • ValGogo
    ValGogo Posts: 2,168 Member
    Options
    It's interesting. I get into arguments with my mom all the time because she says *kitten* off the cuff and most times it means nothing; she jsut says it to say it and most times it's inapporpriate. I keep fighting with her and say stuff "Well, don't say that and we won't have arguments" or "say what you mean don't just say stuff." She doesn't listen though because she wants to do what she wants to do.

Now, reading this from the other side, I realize that who the hell am I to tell my mom what to say and how to express her self. That's her inalienable right. My job is to take it or leave it.

And, that's my input.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    I agree with you Dave!

Same thing for the food diary... Don't say: "Great day!" when I ate a full bag of chips for dinner and I am 1500 calories in the red!

(PS: I delete people who makes that kind of comments!)

I don't support your almond butter and apple cleansing ways you north of the border girl.
  • ksellen1
    ksellen1 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I post what I want! You ain't the boss of me!

60cb0e1737d08124a2100377ec9f1ce9.jpg

This made my freaking day
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

No.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options

I feel you bro. Kinda.

When people are like "I burned 800 calories cleaning my hamster cage" I'm like :rolleyes: 'Oh no you di-in't', but other people are like "nice burn!"

The way I see it, if they can't clean hamster cages with at least "vigorous effort" they really don't get a comment. Maybe a "like," but definitely not a comment.
  • vmclach
    vmclach Posts: 670 Member
    Options

+ 1

The air must be thinner up there on your high horse.

I agree. You're making us all look bad. Come on back down to planet earth guys..
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options

I feel you bro. Kinda.

When people are like "I burned 800 calories cleaning my hamster cage" I'm like :rolleyes: 'Oh no you di-in't', but other people are like "nice burn!"

The way I see it, if they can't clean hamster cages with at least "vigorous effort" they really don't get a comment. Maybe a "like," but definitely not a comment.

Oh Doug!!! You are such a snob too!! Some of us cannot always work out vigorously like you or the French girl!!
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options

+ 1

Oh....phew.....I thought we were talking about real athletes like I am friends with.....not gerbils. Thanks for clarifying.

:drinker: :flowerforyou:
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    It's amazing to me what people get worked up over. Who cares? I know how my workout went. That's all that matters. If my friends are trying to be nice by saying something nice, I'm certainly not going to b&tch and moan about it. Sometimes, it's just the thought that counts.

And, anyway, I enjoy my friends mostly because they are cool, funny and smart people who give good advice. Not because they follow "pro tips" on how to be a good fitness friend.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

+ 1

<----endurance folk - Still think it's dumb.
  • _Josee_
    _Josee_ Posts: 625 Member
    Options

I feel you bro. Kinda.

Oh Doug!!! You are such a snob too!! Some of us cannot always work out vigorously like you or the French girl!!

Vigorously is the way to do things! ;) I ain't lying there doing nothing!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options

+ 1

The air must be thinner up there on your high horse.

I agree. You're making us all look bad. Come on back down to planet earth guys..

Why?? I like the air up here with Mal.. Walking is so boring when you know how to fly!!!
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    If someone on my list burns 800 calories, I am going to comment on them having a great burn. That's like 17 oreos.
  • randomtai
    randomtai Posts: 9,003 Member
    Options
    I see we already made the "just the tip" joke... I got nothing. :ohwell:
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Do you even lift?
    I'm an odd lifter myself.
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options